Talk to the guy who tried to do something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Jefferson said:
julie21:

The following quote from Mr. McBurney should answer your question:

That's the tactic he wanted to use. With 300 people nonviolently and simultaneously approaching every entrance at least several people would have been able to slip by security.
Except that he came across as such a loser that hardly anyone followed him... :rolleyes:

julie21

Mr. 5020 said:
I think it's the difference of 6,000,000 to 1.

Imrahil...it's not just as Mr 5020 pointed out, but the fact that one was done under the Dictatorship of a madman, compared to this case having been dealt with through the legal channels according to your 'Land of the Free' Constitution.
The actions / directives inflicted on millions via one syphyllis ridden, power hungry, madman cannot be held up as a mirror to the carrying out of a legal decree set down and voted upon in a Democratically based society!

Zakath

Resident Atheist
SOTK said:
How many death threats have you received?
Here? Two.

Elsewhere, all total, about half a dozen.

People react really oddly when you mess with their weltanschauung. ;)

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
julie21 said:
Imrahil...it's not just as Mr 5020 pointed out, but the fact that one was done under the Dictatorship of a madman, compared to this case having been dealt with through the legal channels according to your 'Land of the Free' Constitution.
The actions / directives inflicted on millions via one syphyllis ridden, power hungry, madman cannot be held up as a mirror to the carrying out of a legal decree set down and voted upon in a Democratically based society!
Ok, so.... what's the moral difference? Both are evil and result in the death of an innocent human being.

P.S. This is irrelevant but no one voted for her to die. Evil judges decreed it and weak politicians wouldn't stop it.

Mr. 5020

Imrahil said:
P.S. This is irrelevant but no one voted for her to die. Evil judges decreed it and weak politicians wouldn't stop it.
You mean the politicians that we voted for? We did vote for her to die, in a "republic"-an way.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
You mean the politicians that we voted for? We did vote for her to die, in a "republic"-an way.
True. Another sign that our political system is fundamentally flawed.

julie21

Imrahil said:
Ok, so.... what's the moral difference? Both are evil and result in the death of an innocent human being.
Did I ever say there was a MORAL difference? The difference is LEGALITY...one being done under a dictatorship and one under the provisions of the Constitution of the United States..yes?
Morally it is wrong to take a life...and those who do will be judged accordingly.

I believe that God will bring His ultimate jugement down on those who allowed this to happen to Terri.
The point of my original post is that I felt this McBurney guys action was merely symbolic...and I still hold to this opinion.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
julie21 said:
Did I ever say there was a MORAL difference? The difference is LEGALITY...one being done under a dictatorship and one under the provisions of the Constitution of the United States..yes?
Morally it is wrong to take a life...and those who do will be judged accordingly.

I believe that God will bring His ultimate jugement down on those who allowed this to happen to Terri.
The point of my original post is that I felt this McBurney guys action was merely symbolic...and I still hold to this opinion.
So if the two actions are equally evil, why did you get upset when they were compared?

Rimi

julie21 said:
Rimi,
I can only go on what Jefferson reports from the show, as I do not have access to it from here for some reason...Looks as though from the mouth of McBurney himself that it wasn't just symbolic. [That is who you were referring to , wasnt it?]

Julie, yeah, I was talking about the Doug-ster. Quoting him, "I didn't try to make a symbolic statement to just be arrested." Emphasis is on the "to be arrested." But it he was doing it symbolically for his child.

julie21

Jefferson: 3. Should German citizens have had "nothing but praise" for the Nazi police who guarded the concentration camps?
Imrahil...this is why. The Nazi police were acting out of democratically condoned action...they were onder the control of a madman, Hitler!
The police outside the Hospital in Terri's case, were patrolling under a lawful, democratically legislated directive...HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Rimi..."I went down there and I told my daughter, "I will try to bring her water." And I told all the people down there that I am going to try to bring her water. And that's what I tried to do. "
These were the 'Doug-ster's own words immediately preceding the line re 'symbolism'...his statement shows that his intent portrayed to his daughter and the others there, was not 'symbolic'.
I would be interested in the results of a poll done on his perceived intentions, taken from all over the American population, as opposed to McBurney's mate Bob E's followers.

Rimi

Jefferson said:
Terry's brother was wrong for those comments.

1. It is immoral not to flout immoral laws.

2. Getting arrested may not solve the problem but at least history will record that someone did not just stand idly by worshipping the false god of Public Acceptance. It's publicly acceptable to oppose government policy by praying. But it's not publicly acceptable to oppose government policy by getting arrested. At least McBurney does not worship the false god of Public Acceptance.

3. Should German citizens have had "nothing but praise" for the Nazi police who guarded the concentration camps?

If you truly believe that it's immoral to not flout immoral laws, then abortion wouldn't be the thriving business it is.

Getting arrest may not solve anything, unless McBurney had been serious with a serious plan. In fact, in this case, it made Christians look like symbolic-no-substandce Christians. He may have brought cups but did he have people ready to charge with those cups?? It's not indicated in his version, so it seems likely that he didn't really think anything was going to come of this. Unfortunately.

German citizens were in a much more dangerous situation as they quickly found out. Comparing what cops can do to us to what Nazis could do to their citizens is hardly the same thing. Ask Doug.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
julie21 said:
Imrahil...this is why. The Nazi police were acting out of democratically condoned action...they were onder the control of a madman, Hitler!
The police outside the Hospital in Terri's case, were patrolling under a lawful, democratically legislated directive...HUGE DIFFERENCE!

So if it's democratic, the police are ok in killing an innocent woman? By that logic, Hitler was justified! He was popularly elected you know.

Rimi

julie21 said:
Rimi..."I went down there and I told my daughter, "I will try to bring her water." And I told all the people down there that I am going to try to bring her water. And that's what I tried to do. "
These were the 'Doug-ster's own words immediately preceding the line re 'symbolism'...his statement shows that his intent portrayed to his daughter and the others there, was not 'symbolic'.
I would be interested in the results of a poll done on his perceived intentions, taken from all over the American population, as opposed to McBurney's mate Bob E's followers.

Unless he's addled, there is no way this Marine actually thought he was going to walk into that building. He most certainly must have meant it symbolically. And I don't think that helps with Christians' credibility. Sure, there's a time and place for symbolism, like burning OJs trash. The water trip just wasn't a good call. I'm working on a migraine so maybe I'm not clear here.

Mr. 5020

julie21 said:
A - FRICKIN' - MEN, SISTER!

How many red boxes you get for these posts? I'm at 4 right now.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
julie21 said:
But do you think McBurney's actions were immoral?

julie21

Imrahil said:
So if it's democratic, the police are ok in killing an innocent woman? By that logic, Hitler was justified! He was popularly elected you know.

Would you like to ask how many of the 6million or their families democratically elected him? Can yu, and I am being seriously interested here, supply figures for that statement? You may be able to find statistics for the numbers to back your claim re his election, but I know that there will never be officially produced figures to show how many guns, threats to life, fear of discrimination etc - all those things that tyrannical despots use to get the 'majority vote' - were employed to get the vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.