Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
granite1010 said:
I've protested abortion clinics and landfills where the corpses of infants are dumped.

You only did this to draw attention to yourself and be in the spotlight. How do I know this? The same way you know this was the reason that Doug did what he did.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
granite1010 said:
"So someone who protests is only doing the right thing if they are risking their lives?"

Uh...no, Jeff. I didn't say that at all. Here's my point, and if I need to use smaller words, let me know: THE COMPARISON IS INACCURATE. Oskar Schindler on one hand, some blowhard with a Dixie cup of water on the other. Sorry, that dog don't hunt. The analogy is simply absurd. Apples and oranges.
They were both trying to save a life that their respective governments deemed unworthy of life. Apples and apples.

"No one should protest for or against abortion?"

I didn't say that. I've protested abortion clinics and landfills where the corpses of infants are dumped.
So since what you did and what McBurney did are very similar, why do you label McBurney a "blowhard?" Wouldn't that make you a blowhard as well?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
I can't think of anyone from the religious side of the house whose opinion I value enough that it would offend me...
In the spirit of Fellowship Week, :darwinsm:
One must develop a metaphorical "thick skin" to survive as a poster from a minority viewpoint in places like this one. :devil:
:victim: :first:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Frank Ernest said:
:victim: :first:
After the first death threat I received from a former poster here, I'd say "Realist". If I was a "victim" I'd be taking the long dirt nap... :D

Granite

Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
They were both trying to save a life that their respective governments deemed unworthy of life. Apples and apples.

So since what you did and what McBurney did are very similar, why do you label McBurney a "blowhard?" Wouldn't that make you a blowhard as well?

As for the first point we'll simply have to agree to disagree. For the second, the mission of the protest wasn't to get arrested or score some air time.

julie21

Looking at this thread, I have been puzzled as to why, if this guy truly wanted to get water to Terri, he would march up out of the line of protesters, cup of water in hand, and blatantly declare to all of the authorities in front of the line of protesters, that he was going to give her that cup of water. :think:
He had to logically know that he would not get to her; that he wuld be accosted and subsequently arrested.
My question is this...when the enemy is between you and where you want to get ie Terri, why go cup in hand straight to the enemy line? Surely if you wanted to really help her, get water to her, you would have it in a hidden flask on your body and try to find an undercover way to get into the hospital, sneakily as if in warfare. Dress as a nurse, Doctor, cleaner, whatever or sneak into the Hospital somehow, away from the Police cordoned area.
I have run this past quite a few people over the past day, and the majority see it the same way. You could not logically expect the desired outcome, of getting the water to Terri, by walking straight to the enemy, cup of water in hand and declaring your intention to disobey their orders .
It would be tantamount to those tryIng to get food into the Jewish camps marching up to the front gate and telling the Nazi on guard of their plan. Oskar Schindler was ONLY successful in aiding the Jews by his use of scheming and plotting and secretively sneaking them away from the enemy Nazi hands. Not outrightly declaring to the Nazis his intentions with Jews in tow!
Friends of druggies on remand or in prison, try to smuggle in drugs to those inside, by hitting tennis balls full of coke over fences, or hide it in body orifices...they don't walk up to the Guard on duty and tell them and show them what they are going to do!
I am afraid that I just can't see how this guy thought he could really succeed? ...he says he wanted to, didn't he? He wanted to be that somebody to get water to Terri...I honestly question his stated intention.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
granite1010 said:
As for the first point we'll simply have to agree to disagree. For the second, the mission of the protest wasn't to get arrested or score some air time.
Getting arrested or scoring some air time wasn't McBurney's mission either.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
julie21:

The following quote from Mr. McBurney should answer your question:

I brought 300 dixie cups and 10 gallons of water and I wanted every single person in that crowd to follow me in there...

That's the tactic he wanted to use. With 300 people nonviolently and simultaneously approaching every entrance at least several people would have been able to slip by security.

julie21

Jefferson said:
julie21:

The following quote from Mr. McBurney should answer your question:

I brought 300 dixie cups and 10 gallons of water and I wanted every single person in that crowd to follow me in there...

That's the tactic he wanted to use. With 300 people nonviolently and simultaneously approaching every entrance at least several people would have been able to slip by security.

Sorry Jefferson, but I sincerely disagree still.So did he actually consider at all a more covert operation? He still hasn't got my vote.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
julie21 said:
Sorry Jefferson, but I sincerely disagree still.So did he actually consider at all a more covert operation? He still hasn't got my vote.
Do you applaud what 99.99 percent of the rest of the Christians in America did, which was to stay home and watch television sitcoms?

julie21

Around 11 a.m., a crowd began to chant, ``Give Terri water!'' And a man and a woman approached the police line bearing water bottles.

As had every other arrested person before her, Helen Valdis, 43, of Wisconsin, made a token show of disobeying police orders to desist and was taken away quietly.

However, Colorado resident Doug McBurney, 35, resisted officers by stiffening his body and repeatedly screaming, ``Don't murder her!'' He was handcuffed and placed in a police wagon.

Police Capt. Sanfield Forseth said McBurney was the first of the 37 people arrested up to that point to give officers any trouble at all.

As with all 36 others, he was charged with misdemeanor trespassing and jailed with bail set at $250.

Source :http://www.tampatrib.com/MGBH8K78U6E.html

Jefferson: Do you applaud what 99.99 percent of the rest of the Christians in America did, which was to stay home and watch television sitcoms?
No, I do not applaud it, but recognise the probability that they stayed home due to a realistic perception that they would not be able to change what was going to happen in this particular case. Terri's brother asked people not to flout the law that had been passed...
taken from the Trib article...
Again, Bobby Schindler appealed for calm and lawful behavior.

``We are not going to solve this problem today by getting arrested,'' he said.

Later, he lamented the lack of civility among some self- professed Schindler supporters.

``I have nothing but praise for the cops, but those people won't listen to me,'' he shrugged.
Source : Tampa Trib FRI 1 April [as above link]

And aren't you making a huge assumption that 99.9% of the rest of the Christians in America were 'sitting home watching sitcoms? How do you know what each of them were doing...it's possible and probable many were praying constantly for Terri and for a softening of the hearts of the Law makers in your country.
Just because they were not there, does not mean they were not doing anything...after all, united prayer is one of the strongest weapons we Christians have in our Spiritual warfare kit.

Last edited:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
julie21 said:
Terri's brother asked people not to flout the law that had been passed...
taken from the Trib article...
Again, Bobby Schindler appealed for calm and lawful behavior.

``We are not going to solve this problem today by getting arrested,'' he said.

Later, he lamented the lack of civility among some self- professed Schindler supporters.

``I have nothing but praise for the cops, but those people won't listen to me,'' he shrugged.
Source : Tampa Trib FRI 1 April [as above link]
Terry's brother was wrong for those comments.

1. It is immoral not to flout immoral laws.

2. Getting arrested may not solve the problem but at least history will record that someone did not just stand idly by worshipping the false god of Public Acceptance. It's publicly acceptable to oppose government policy by praying. But it's not publicly acceptable to oppose government policy by getting arrested. At least McBurney does not worship the false god of Public Acceptance.

3. Should German citizens have had "nothing but praise" for the Nazi police who guarded the concentration camps?

julie21

Jefferson said:
3. Should German citizens have had "nothing but praise" for the Nazi police who guarded the concentration camps?
That is so....! I'm sorry, but that just infuriates me!!!
I believe that you are capable of seeing the HUGE difference to this case and that of the atrocities of the Nazi holocaust. Why don't you personally take it up with Terri's brother, and see what his answer would be? Or the whole of his family for that matter! Or survivors of the camps!
I could not imagine Terri's immediate family, any of them, likening the two situations to each other.
I see a family who disagreed with the law, and pursued every avenue lawfully allowed to try and achieve the outcome they desired for their daughter, sister etc.
I pray, as I should imagine many other Christians are, that there will be an opportunity to change Legislation lawfully, so as this will never be allowed to occur again.
Jefferson: At least McBurney does not worship the false god of Public Acceptance.
And yet he seems to have gained this Public acceptance from certain quarters since his 'stand'...hasn't he?
You didn't comment on the article's description of what his 'stand' entailed, compared to 'his own' account per Mr Enyart's show?

Last edited:

SOTK

Zakath said:
After the first death threat I received from a former poster here, I'd say "Realist". If I was a "victim" I'd be taking the long dirt nap... :D

How many death threats have you received?

julie21

Jefferson/ post #48 in this thread ...
That's not what happened. His intention was to give Terry water, not to put on a show. Here’s another quote from the show: ”A few days ago I had to explain to my daughter why the police were arresting children on television. And in the course of that conversation she looked up at me with her big beautiful innocent eyes and she said, "Somebody should bring her water." And I realized that this is my daughter. I'm her "somebody." And so I did this for my daughter and for my family. I went down there and I told my daughter, "I will try to bring her water." And I told all the people down there that I am going to try to bring her water. And that's what I tried to do. I didn't try to make a symbolic statement to just be arrested. I filled a glass with water and I proceeded to march toward the building and I was subsequently arrested.”
Rimi,
I can only go on what Jefferson reports from the show, as I do not have access to it from here for some reason...Looks as though from the mouth of McBurney himself that it wasn't just symbolic. [That is who you were referring to , wasnt it?]

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
julie21 said:
That is so....! I'm sorry, but that just infuriates me!!!
I believe that you are capable of seeing the HUGE difference to this case and that of the atrocities of the Nazi holocaust.

Perhaps I'm especially slow. Explain to me the moral difference between someone starving a handicapped woman to death and someone gassing a handicapped person to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.