Talk to the guy who tried to do something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Rimi said:
What were many of the protestors doing that you think they were counterproductive? I wasn't glued to the tv so I'm not aware of anything outrageous. Just want info.

Deliberately baiting police, getting arrested, and dramatically approaching the hospital entrance with a glass of water in hand were some of the more hamfisted examples I can think of.

Rimi

granite1010 said:
Deliberately baiting police, getting arrested, and dramatically approaching the hospital entrance with a glass of water in hand were some of the more hamfisted examples I can think of.

I knew of 30 who got arrested for trying to bring water. I don't know if they were actually trying to do that or if they were doing it for symbolism. I'd also heard that one woman actuallyl got inside the building. She seemed to be serious about it. I don't have a hard time with her. Coluld care less how cops were treated. Haven't met a clean one yet.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Mr. 5020 said:
You're right. I asked several people from my church, and none knew his name. But all of them did say he was a black mark on the protest.
He was only a black mark for those who worship the false god of Public Acceptance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
julie21 said:
I believe my answer has been sufficiently covered by the 2 poster's immediately prior to this...
Since you're finished with this thread, try to calculate how many rewards in heaven you just lost in your efforts to discourage those few Christians who actually have any courage. I feel sorry for you.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Rimi said:
You just made my whole case. ". . . we have to show . . . they will not be alone."
It was symbolic. It was not about actually getting water to Terry.
Rimi, you're an idiot.

It is possible that 1 act can accomplish more than 1 goal. This apparently is a revelation to you. The fact that McBurney's arrest shows other pro-lifers that they are not alone does not negate the fact that it was an attempt to get her water. It is not McBurney's fault that there were Nazi guards blocking his attempt. McBurney's single act accomplished several things, not just one:

1.) It was an attempt to get Terri water.
2.) It gave other pro-lifers strength in numbers.
3.) It rebuked complacent Christians.
3.) It caused conviction of sin to some nonchristians (which conviction often leads to repentance and salvation.)
4.) It encourages other Christians that they can be bold too instead of timidly living in their "prayer closets."
5.) It draws out into the open the MASSIVE numbers of Christians who actually worship the false god of Public Acceptance instead of Jesus Christ.

I could go on and on, but I'll spare you the humiliation.

One more thing. Just because people there weren't getting arrested for "to show", doesn't mean there was peace. When you wrote that you slapped the face of every person praying, demonstrating. They were doing what they could without being self-serving or breaking the law for show
That's an absurd argument from silence. You really are an idiot. Read my previous post (#115) where I stated that I do not criticize anyone who attempts to do anything to save lives, no matter how lame those attempts may be. Please quote me where I condemned anyone who "only" prayed. If I did that then I would be condemning myself becuase that is all I did. Causing commotion during a state sponsored murder is only one thing out of many Christians can do. I never said, "If you're not causing a scene, you're sinning." Please refrain in the future from setting up any more straw men.

Last edited by a moderator:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
Since you're finished with this thread, try to calculate how many rewards in heaven you just lost in your efforts to discourage those few Christians who actually have any courage. I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorrier for someone who uses paper tiger threats like this.:rolleyes:

Rimi

Jefferson said:
Rimi, you're an idiot.

It is possible that 1 act can accomplish more than 1 goal. This apparently is a revelation to you. The fact that McBurney's arrest shows other pro-lifers that they are not alone does not negate the fact that it was an attempt to get her water. It is not McBurney's fault that there were Nazi guards blocking his attempt. McBurney's single act accomplished several things, not just one:

1.) It was an attempt to get Terri water.
2.) It gave other pro-lifers strength in numbers.
3.) It rebuked complacent Christians.
3.) It caused conviction of sin to some nonchristians (which conviction often leads to repentance and salvation.)
4.) It encourages other Christians that they can be bold too instead of timidly living in their "prayer closets."
5.) It draws out into the open the MASSIVE numbers of Christians who actually worship the false god of Public Acceptance instead of Jesus Christ.

I could go on and on, but I'll spare you the humiliation.

That's an absurd argument from silence. You really are an idiot. Read my previous post (#115) where I stated that I do not criticize anyone who attempts to do anything to save lives, no matter how lame those attempts may be. Please quote me where I condemned anyone who "only" prayed. If I did that then I would be condemning myself becuase that is all I did. Causing commotion during a state sponsored murder is only one thing out of many Christians can do. I never said, "If you're not causing a scene, you're sinning." Please refrain in the future from setting up any more straw men.

You have a decided lack of humility. I notice that in many Christians when they're wrong and know it. You only defense is that you must resort to trying to offend me. Whatever. One act CAN accomplish more than one goal, but that's not what McBurney said he was trying to do. He said he was doing it for his daughter. Symbolic. He is intelligent enough to know that he was not going to storm the hospice, and he made no known attempt to organize with others there. He admitted it was symbolic.

1. It was not an attempt to get water to Terry, unless he believed the Nazis were going to part like the Red Sea.
2. There were already strength in numbers outside the hospice LONG before Doug showed up. If that's what he thought he was doing, give strength to them, he was behind schedule. And it's rather presumptuous of you (and him?) to suggest it.
3. The very presence of all those other pro-lifers and Christians was a rebuke to every Christian who didn't give Terry a thought, or who said it must be the will of God. NOT Doug's getting arrested. That just made Christians look foolish, and thus probably inhibit those Christians who need to be more active.
3. The very presence of the other Christians at the hospice and seen on TV around the globe caused conviction of sin to some nonchristians (which conviction often leads to repentance and salvation.) NOT necessarily Doug and his actions. In fact, it might cause the nonbeliever to consider Christians not worthy of being taken seriously, and if they can't be, what does that say of their God.
4. Other Christians were already made bold by those who had the courage and love for Terry to show up long before Doug was on the scene. There were already bold Christians there who stood up for Terry. Members of DBC are not the only bold Christians on the face of the planet. As for those Christians you say are timidly living in their "prayer closets", maybe more Christians wanted to be there than you know (like me) but don't have the money or health to do so. For some Christians, prayer is the only weapon they have in a case like this, (that and voting only for strict pro-life politicians if any ever show up). But thanks for letting me know it's worth nothing.
5.) It draws out into the open the MASSIVE numbers of Christians who actually worship the false god of Public Acceptance instead of Jesus Christ?? The Christians I saw didn't seem to worship Public Acceptance. What I saw drawn out into the open is those Christians who were willing and able to be there and stand in the gap as well as they could for Terry.

And yet all these reasons aren't about Terry and getting her water. See, Jefferson, she was dying, and she needed water. IF all these things you mentioned happened as a result of a serious attempt to get her water, all the better. But at that moment, it should have been about Terry. You've made it anything else. ALso, you have put down other Christians, like me. You've roundaboutly put down "prayer closet" Christians.

Spare yourself the humiliation. You already made my point and couldn't find it in yourself to be honest about it. You make out Doug as a superman. There were supermen on the scene already, praying, demonstrating, and strengthening Terry's family. All but 30 of them managed to do it without getting arrested and coming across as foolish. If Doug and you wanted to really get something done, you should've "stormed the Bastile" and taken over the place to save Terry. And that's what this was about. Terry. Terry being murdered. If Doug was serious, why wasn't he there sooner. Maybe his actions would've had more impact. But it'd already been done there (people trying to get in and actually get her water) and he was a cliche at that point.

Guess this is where I'm supposed to bow out because you're incapable of admitting to the possibility even that you're wrong. And Doug. Look, I'm sure he meant well, but it wasn't serious. You guys are like Democrats for crying out loud! "Don't judge me by the substance, but judge me from the intent of my heart!" And when Christians start acting/thinking like Democrats, we're in big trouble.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Jefferson said:
Losing rewards in heaven: mind explaining how that's possible? Is there some sort of hierarchy in heaven? Do the mansions get bigger or smaller as rewards are gained or lost?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Jefferson said:
In your opinion, what proportion of those calling themselves Christian actually worship the False God of Public Acceptance™? A few? Some? Many? Most of them?

julie21

Jefferson said:
Jeferson,
For a very learned man, I thought that you would have access and know how to use a DICTIONARY! Pray tell, where do you find in my post anything that has the definition..'.FINISHED WITH THIS THREAD'?
Please have the decency to READ what is there... Here it is for you ONE MORE TIME...read slowly and carefully, please!...

Julie21:I believe my answer has been sufficiently covered by the 2 poster's immediately prior to this...

So you can get the meaning of my post Jefferson,It states basically that I considered that the question you initially asked of me was answered sufficient to my satisfaction, by the 2 posts between your question and my next post in the thread.
I did not, in making that statement, imply, by written word nor inuendo, that I would no longer be a participant in this thread.
:sozo: GET IT NOW!!!
Do not mess with what I have written by trying to imply what you are dreaming / concoccting it to be! That is just a "stomp my feet and I'm holding my breath type tactic" ! Futile, as it does nothing but make others look at you in a VERY different light! A lot f people can determine what my post said, as opposed to what you are saying it says. If I want to be finished, believe me, I will cateorically let you know in a VERY CLEAR, PRECISE WAY...I AM FINISHED. Remember what those words look like for future reference, okay!
BY THE WAY, I am not looking to any further reward in Heaven than just being there with my Lord!...!
So do not in anyway feel sorry for me...that would be the last thing I would want you to do...there are plenty of people who feel differently towards me and my views than you, and it is of absolutely no consequence to me how you feel about me, my friend! I am not in this life for popularity votes, just some training for Eternity!
HAVE A NICE DAY! :)

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Rimi said:
If Doug and you wanted to really get something done, you should've "stormed the Bastile" and taken over the place to save Terry.
Before I get to my main point I first need clarification on this sentence of yours. Were you serious about this? Are you actually saying that you think it would have been God-honoring for Christians to become vigilantes and act like some right-wing militias that are around? My guess is that you don't actually believe this. I'm right, aren't I?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
julie21 said:
BY THE WAY, I am not looking to any further reward in Heaven than just being there with my Lord!...!
Well, the people referred to in First Corinthians 3:15 would disagree with you - "If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

Additionally, First Corinthians 15:41,42 says, "[There is] one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for [one] star differeth from [another] star in glory. So also [is] the resurrection of the dead." So some Christians are going to shine very brightly in heaven while others are going to be a 60 watt bulb. Why would anyone not want as much rewards as possible? God mentions these rewards in scripture as an incentive for us to obtain them, not so we can practice having distain for them.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
Well, the people referred to in First Corinthians 3:15 would disagree with you - "If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

Additionally, First Corinthians 15:41,42 says, "[There is] one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for [one] star differeth from [another] star in glory. So also [is] the resurrection of the dead." So some Christians are going to shine very brightly in heaven while others are going to be a 60 watt bulb. Why would anyone not want as much rewards as possible? God mentions these rewards in scripture as an incentive for us to obtain them, not so we can practice having distain for them.

So it's kinda like a credit card where your good deeds rack up points here and there. Uh-huuuuh.

Materialistic, and very convenient. Is there any way to determine what works get you more "points" as opposed to others? Who gets what?

julie21

Jefferson said:

So some Christians are going to shine very brightly in heaven while others are going to be a 60 watt bulb. Why would anyone not want as much rewards as possible? God mentions these rewards in scripture as an incentive for us to obtain them, not so we can practice having distain for them.

So not really going to acknowledge the point in my post re your ineptitude in discerning truthfully what was written therein? No...okay...sweep it under the carpet. I don't care.

God still loves the '60 watters' as much as those 'stars' who strove for the biggest rewards! I envisage myself as a Lily of the Field...I do not need bright shiny [ replace clothes with... rewards], just know and am content with the going about the Lord's work in my own way...not flashy or being noticed...we Aussies are quite big on 'Quiet Achievers'.

I will have you know that I do not care one iota that you are judging my lack of Gold, Silver or any other precious analogical works...for you are a mere man who will be judged by the same maker as myself. You can sit in righteous indignation of what you believe are my failings, and it does not bother me personally one jot. I see the BIG PICTURE Jefferson...and in my estimation of it, I am sorry to say, that you prsonally, in neither thought nor word, play any part in it whatsoever.
THE ONE TRUE GLORY IS SUFFICIENT FOR THIS LITTLE BLACK DUCK. ;)

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
julie21 said:
So not really going to acknowledge the point in my post re your ineptitude in discerning truthfully what was written therein? No...okay...sweep it under the carpet. I don't care.
I didn't want to help you make a mountain out of a molehill. You're acting like I'm accusing you of apostasy. Lighten up. Your post simply appeared to me like you were through with this thread. I'm glad your not through with it.

God still loves the '60 watters' as much as those 'stars' who strove for the biggest rewards! I envisage myself as a Lily of the Field...I do not need bright shiny [ replace clothes with... rewards], just know and am content with the going about the Lord's work in my own way...not flashy or being noticed...we Aussies are quite big on 'Quiet Achievers'.
So you practice ignoring God's command to us in First Corinthians 9:24? - " Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. "

I will have you know that I do not care one iota that you are judging my lack of Gold, Silver or any other precious analogical works...for you are a mere man who will be judged by the same maker as myself. You can sit in righteous indignation of what you believe are my failings...
You mean like the way you are sitting in righteous indignation of Doug McBurney's "failings?"

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Jefferson said:
So you practice ignoring God's command to us in First Corinthians 9:24? - " Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. "
And what, exactly, are these "prizes" to be received? You seem to indicate that there will be some sort of hierarchy in the hereafter, ranging from "stars" to "60 watt bulbs". What do the "stars" get that the "60 watt bulbs" don't?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Gerald said:
And what, exactly, are these "prizes" to be received? You seem to indicate that there will be some sort of hierarchy in the hereafter, ranging from "stars" to "60 watt bulbs". What do the "stars" get that the "60 watt bulbs" don't?

I also asked about redeeming your heavenly credit card points and Jefferson did not give me full details about the program.:think:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
It's kind of like that story "Kissing Bob's A**" that someone made into a video a few years back. Lot's of people talk like they know quite a bit about the afterlife, but when it comes down to what actually happens after brain activity stops, there seems to be more opinions than actual verifiable information.

Status
Not open for further replies.