Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

SimpleMan77

In the Old Testament, we read this about tongues...

Isaiah 28:11 Very well then, with foreign lips

and strange tongues God will speak to this people,

12 to whom he said, "This is the resting place, let the weary rest";

and, "This is the place of repose"—

but they would not listen.

Now read what the New Testament says about tongues...

1 Corinthians 14:21 In the Law it is written:

"Through men of strange tongues

and through the lips of foreigners

I will speak to this people,

but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.

22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

In Acts 2:5 we see that there were JEWS from EVERY NATION. The Jews are the people God said that He would speak to through men of strange tongues...

Acts 2:5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

In addition, in Acts 2:6 we see that the Jews from every nation spoke in many different languages...

Acts 2:6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

Just look at the list of places the Jews had come from...

Acts 2:8-Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"

We can see from the scriptures that speaking in tongues was prophesied about in the Old Testament, that the Lord would speak to the Jews, as stated in Isaiah 28. In the New Testament, we can see that this is a fulfilled prophecy, as confirmed by Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:21. Since the biblical speaking in tongues were for a sign, and God gave the sign for the purpose as prophesied in the Old Testament, it would make sense to believe that speaking in tongues is a gift that would stop.

This scripture tells us that tongues “will be stilled”:

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Tongues did not stop during the time Jesus Christ, the Apostles and Prophets were laying down the foundation because the Apostles were still writing the scriptures. Imagine if tongues had stopped in the people who had the gift, others would erroneously believe that God also took salvation away from them, since the Jews believed God accepted Gentiles as was evident by their speaking in words of God in different languages.

However, tongues have since ceased. Jesus, the prophets and the apostles have laid the foundation; the Bible is finished. New prophecies and new knowledge have ceased also, just as the Bible says they would, for you know you cannot add new prophecies and new knowledge to the Bible.

2 Cor 13:8 does not say "new knowledge will pass away", it simply says "knowledge shall pass away". I agree nothing can be added to Scripture, but this verse doesn't address that. How has knowledge ceased? How have languages ceased (the word "tongues" here simply means "languages")?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

God's Truth

2 Cor 13:8 does not say "new knowledge will pass away", it simply says "knowledge shall pass away". I agree nothing can be added to Scripture, but this verse doesn't address that. How has knowledge ceased? How have languages ceased (the word "tongues" here simply means "languages")?

It is about new knowledge.

SimpleMan77

It is about new knowledge.

It never says "new knowledge", but I accept that you choose to interpret it that way.

Here's a testimony for you. I met a man while doing prison ministry, and he had a horrible past. He hated himself for what he'd done so much that he tried - through challenging the guards - to get them to kill him. They put him in confinement, and in his time of being alone he began to feel God's call and mercy. After some time he said to God "I don't have anything to offer you, but if you want me I'll let you have my mess - but don't blame me if things go wrong". Shortly thereafter, as he was praying, He started feeling the presence of God so much that he began to pray in a language he didn't understand. It both frightened him and filled him with the most amazing joy and freedom he'd ever felt. It released him from the guilt of his past, but because he'd never been around anyone who knew of the Holy Ghost he was worried he'd lost his mind. One day, a lady doing prison ministry came by, and he told her what had happened. She showed him in scripture what had happened.
We can argue scripture definition all day, but you can't tell me my testimony, my friend's testimony, and the hundreds of others aren't real.

oatmeal

You are playing games.

No one is doing those things but it was done in the New Testament times.

Regardless of whether or not I meet your standards, God's word is clear that I can do what God's word says I can do. John 14:12, Philippians 4:13

God has granted me opportunities to do the works and the greater works Jesus Christ said believers can do.

Your unbelief is irrelevant and powerless to change those truths.

As God gives me opportunity to do those works, I know I can do them for God's word says I can.

I would that you all speak in tongues, I Corinthians 14:5 is as true today as it was in the first century, for Jesus Christ has not yet returned, we have not seen him face to face yet.

God's Truth

Regardless of whether or not I meet your standards, God's word is clear that I can do what God's word says I can do. John 14:12, Philippians 4:13

God has granted me opportunities to do the works and the greater works Jesus Christ said believers can do.

Your unbelief is irrelevant and powerless to change those truths.

As God gives me opportunity to do those works, I know I can do them for God's word says I can.

I would that you all speak in tongues, I Corinthians 14:5 is as true today as it was in the first century, for Jesus Christ has not yet returned, we have not seen him face to face yet.

So the only thing you claim you can do is speak in tongues?

God's Truth

It never says "new knowledge", but I accept that you choose to interpret it that way.

Here's a testimony for you. I met a man while doing prison ministry, and he had a horrible past. He hated himself for what he'd done so much that he tried - through challenging the guards - to get them to kill him. They put him in confinement, and in his time of being alone he began to feel God's call and mercy. After some time he said to God "I don't have anything to offer you, but if you want me I'll let you have my mess - but don't blame me if things go wrong". Shortly thereafter, as he was praying, He started feeling the presence of God so much that he began to pray in a language he didn't understand. It both frightened him and filled him with the most amazing joy and freedom he'd ever felt. It released him from the guilt of his past, but because he'd never been around anyone who knew of the Holy Ghost he was worried he'd lost his mind. One day, a lady doing prison ministry came by, and he told her what had happened. She showed him in scripture what had happened.
We can argue scripture definition all day, but you can't tell me my testimony, my friend's testimony, and the hundreds of others aren't real.

You are going by a man in prison whom you claim never ever heard someone speak in tongues, not even on TV. I am not buying it.

oatmeal

So the only thing you claim you can do is speak in tongues?

Not at all, all nine manifestations are available to all believers.

If we look at the book of Acts we see that the first manifestation evidenced and clearly referred to on the day of Pentecost is speaking in tongues. That is the only manifestation referred to on the day.

As the believers continued in the apostle's doctrine, Acts 2:42 we see that the apostles were doing wonders and signs, thus indicating that more than just speaking in tongues was occurring, ie, gifts of healings, miracles, and the manifestation of faith or believing.

All nine manifestaions are available to all believers, but some like miracles, gifts of healing and the revelation manifestations are up to God to initiate in individual and specific situations.

We have the written word of God to believe and obey, should we build a foundation of right living in doing the written word, then we are on the path of maturity to do more specific things for God like the healing of the lame man in Acts 3, or the raising of Tabitha/Dorcas from the dead later on in the book of Acts.

God directs our paths, first with the written word, then with revelation as He, not us, sees fit.

Those who adhere to God's written word and thus becoming disciples have the self discipline to follow God more specifically in specific situations.

Generally, speaking in tongues, as Acts 2:1-4 show is the starting point for more apiritual actions.

God's Truth

Not at all, all nine manifestations are available to all believers.

If we look at the book of Acts we see that the first manifestation evidenced and clearly referred to on the day of Pentecost is speaking in tongues. That is the only manifestation referred to on the day.

As the believers continued in the apostle's doctrine, Acts 2:42 we see that the apostles were doing wonders and signs, thus indicating that more than just speaking in tongues was occurring, ie, gifts of healings, miracles, and the manifestation of faith or believing.

All nine manifestaions are available to all believers, but some like miracles, gifts of healing and the revelation manifestations are up to God to initiate in individual and specific situations.

We have the written word of God to believe and obey, should we build a foundation of right living in doing the written word, then we are on the path of maturity to do more specific things for God like the healing of the lame man in Acts 3, or the raising of Tabitha/Dorcas from the dead later on in the book of Acts.

God directs our paths, first with the written word, then with revelation as He, not us, sees fit.

Those who adhere to God's written word and thus becoming disciples have the self discipline to follow God more specifically in specific situations.

Generally, speaking in tongues, as Acts 2:1-4 show is the starting point for more apiritual actions.

I get what you are saying, I really do. I get that people really saved can fall into that false practice.

Do you want to get closer to God by doing false tongue speaking, or by knowing the Truth?

WeberHome

Re: Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

-
Here's an example of a sensible, practical use of tongues.

Rev 14:6-7 . . I saw another angel flying through the sky, carrying the everlasting gospel to preach to the people who dwell on the earth-- to every nation, tribe, language, and people. Fear God! he shouted. Give glory to Him! For the time has come when He will sit as judge. Worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all the springs of water!

The everlasting gospel is very elementary. Pretty much all it says to everyone who hears it is:

1• There's a supreme being.

2• He deserves respect.

3• There's a frightful reckoning looming on the horizon, and

4• The cosmos-- all of its forms of life, matter, and energy --is the product of intelligent design.

Giving "glory" to God simply indicates giving someone credit where credit is due; and "worship" basically just simply means admiration.

It's quite natural to admire celebrities, pro athletes, and super achievers-- to give them credit where credit is due --but not quite so natural to do the same for their creator.

Anyway, point being: the angel's message will be intelligible to everyone who hears him no matter what language they speak and/or understand. Modern tonguers would do well to use their gift in like manner instead of only blowing bubbles all the time.

/

SimpleMan77

Here's an example of a sensible, Modern tonguers would do well to use their gift in like manner instead of only blowing bubbles all the time.

You are mocking God's choice, not man's.
One time God used tongues as you describe above (Acts 2). There is no other record of tongues being understood as a natural language. There are multiple references to tongues that no man understands.

God's Truth

You are mocking God's choice, not man's.
One time God used tongues as you describe above (Acts 2). There is no other record of tongues being understood as a natural language. There are multiple references to tongues that no man understands.

That is when no one is around from other nations.

God's Truth

What about "tongues of angels". Who are you to say a person isn't speaking in a tongue of angels?

I thought you read what I posted to you?

People who claim to speak in tongues nowadays also claim that they are speaking the language of angels. Read what Paul states in the following scriptures:

1 Corinthians 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

Hebrews 1:14Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

The Bible says that angels are ministering spirits to those who will inherit salvation. The people of the earth are those who will inherit salvation. Therefore, the angels need to know all the languages of the people on earth!

So even if the biblical speaking in tongues did not sound like any earthly language, (as many nowadays tongue speakers claim it is not an earthly language), speaking in tongues was still heard and understood as different earthly foreign languages....by the foreigners themselves (see Acts 2:6 and 2:11).

Again, the language angels need to minister to us is with our earthly languages. Therefore, like the foreigners in the Bible who understood those speaking in tongues, in their native language, we too would need to understand in our language what the angels were saying to us. No unbelievers of foreign languages are hearing nowadays tongue speakers and coming to believe in Jesus because they hear the truth spoken in their language by those who never learned their language.

oatmeal

I thought you read what I posted to you?

People who claim to speak in tongues nowadays also claim that they are speaking the language of angels. Read what Paul states in the following scriptures:

1 Corinthians 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

Hebrews 1:14Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

The Bible says that angels are ministering spirits to those who will inherit salvation. The people of the earth are those who will inherit salvation. Therefore, the angels need to know all the languages of the people on earth!

So even if the biblical speaking in tongues did not sound like any earthly language, (as many nowadays tongue speakers claim it is not an earthly language), speaking in tongues was still heard and understood as different earthly foreign languages....by the foreigners themselves (see Acts 2:6 and 2:11).

Again, the language angels need to minister to us is with our earthly languages. Therefore, like the foreigners in the Bible who understood those speaking in tongues, in their native language, we too would need to understand in our language what the angels were saying to us. No unbelievers of foreign languages are hearing nowadays tongue speakers and coming to believe in Jesus because they hear the truth spoken in their language by those who never learned their language.

Until the son of God returns and we see him face to face, I Corinthians 13:10-13

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

speaking in tongues is a genuine and real and powerful today as it was on the day of Pentecost, and in the book of Acts.

You can not negate God's blessings to us in this age of grace.

God knows what we need and we need to speak in tongues as much today as they did in the first centurey

God's Truth

No, not at all, evidently, you do not speak in tongues at all.

If you knew how powerful speaking in tongues is, you would be doing it all the time.

There was a time that I was speaking in tongues and interpreting.
I told God sorry for not doing such a great gift more often.
Then came a time someone asked me how to do it, and I began to teach it, and then had to stop myself because I was speaking from what man taught me and not what God says in the Holy Bible.
So I studied about it in the scriptures, and God revealed the truth to me about it.
The tongues being done nowadays is false.

God's Truth

Until the son of God returns and we see him face to face, I Corinthians 13:10-13

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

speaking in tongues is a genuine and real and powerful today as it was on the day of Pentecost, and in the book of Acts.

You can not negate God's blessings to us in this age of grace.

God knows what we need and we need to speak in tongues as much today as they did in the first centurey

I already addressed that earlier in this thread.

Here is what I said about it:

As for the statement in 1 Corinthians 13:10, “but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears”, nowadays tongue speakers claim that tongue speaking will not cease until Jesus comes again. However, that scripture does not say tongues will not stop until Jesus comes again. That scripture is about Jesus coming the first time.
The prophets in the Old Testament prophesied about Jesus, and prophets in the New Testament prophesied about our salvation. This is what Paul says, “…where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.”

When you only have prophesy in part, because the prophecy has not yet been fulfilled, or more prophecy is needed, it is imperfect, it is imperfect because the prophesy is in “part” or not yet fulfilled. However, when there is fulfillment of prophecy or more prophecy for what we need to know, then we have full understanding, so then, it is perfect and, that which is perfect is come. The Old Testament believers waited a long time for God to reveal Jesus to us, and now finally, from the Bible, we see that God has revealed Jesus, in the New Testament, the perfect has come. The Bible has everything we need to know for salvation. It is perfect. The New Testament is the “perfect law” given to us, James 1:25. The apostles from the New Testament received all the truth we need to guide us to eternal life, and they wrote this down in the Scriptures: John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:3; Acts 20:20, 27; Matthew 28:20; I Corinthians 14:37; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Romans 16:25-27.

We do not need anyone's tongue speaking to know more things about God's Truth, we have the Bible, and it is finished.

oatmeal

There was a time that I was speaking in tongues and interpreting.
I told God sorry for not doing such a great gift more often.
Then came a time someone asked me how to do it, and I began to teach it, and then had to stop myself because I was speaking from what man taught me and not what God says in the Holy Bible.
So I studied about it in the scriptures, and God revealed the truth to me about it.
The tongues being done nowadays is false.

Are you familiar with the passage, regarding the Father giving the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Luke 11:9-13

9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

If our earthly fathers, being evil, know how to give good to their children, how much more can we depend on God our Heavenly Father to give us only that which is pure and good and pleasing to his sight?

oatmeal

I already addressed that earlier in this thread.

Here is what I said about it:

As for the statement in 1 Corinthians 13:10, “but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears”, nowadays tongue speakers claim that tongue speaking will not cease until Jesus comes again. However, that scripture does not say tongues will not stop until Jesus comes again. That scripture is about Jesus coming the first time.
The prophets in the Old Testament prophesied about Jesus, and prophets in the New Testament prophesied about our salvation. This is what Paul says, “…where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.”

When you only have prophesy in part, because the prophecy has not yet been fulfilled, or more prophecy is needed, it is imperfect, it is imperfect because the prophesy is in “part” or not yet fulfilled. However, when there is fulfillment of prophecy or more prophecy for what we need to know, then we have full understanding, so then, it is perfect and, that which is perfect is come. The Old Testament believers waited a long time for God to reveal Jesus to us, and now finally, from the Bible, we see that God has revealed Jesus, in the New Testament, the perfect has come. The Bible has everything we need to know for salvation. It is perfect. The New Testament is the “perfect law” given to us, James 1:25. The apostles from the New Testament received all the truth we need to guide us to eternal life, and they wrote this down in the Scriptures: John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:3; Acts 20:20, 27; Matthew 28:20; I Corinthians 14:37; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Romans 16:25-27.

We do not need anyone's tongue speaking to know more things about God's Truth, we have the Bible, and it is finished.

Well, since scripture teaches us to love, I will love, for love has not ceased.

Since scripture tells us to forgive, I will forgive, for forgiving has not ceased.

Since scripture teaches us to pray, I will continue to pray, for praying has not ceased.

Love and forgiveness and praying has not ceased even though we have all scripture.

Since scripture teaches me to speak in tongues, to interpret, to give forth words of prophecy, to receive word of knowledge, words of wisdom, discerning of spirits, faith/believing, miracles, and gifts of healing, I will do all those for the truth of scripture has not ceased.