Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

WeberHome

-
1Cor 14:39 . .Do not forbid speaking in tongues.

That rule applies only to people who actually have the gift of tongues because according to Rom 12:4, 1Cor 12:10-11, 1Cor 12:29-30, and 1Cor 14:5 not everyone does.

/

God's Truth

-

That rule applies only to people who actually have the gift of tongues because according to Rom 12:4, 1Cor 12:10-11, 1Cor 12:29-30, and 1Cor 14:5 not everyone does.

/

Tongues ceased after the laying of the foundation.

WeberHome

Re: Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

-
According to Acts 2:4-11, the gift of tongues is supposed to enable the giftees to be heard in a variety of honest to gosh, real-life languages.

/

Last edited:

WeberHome

-

I seriously doubt that 1Cor 13:8 has reference to the gift of tongues; rather, to the Tower Of Babel (Gen 11:9).

Today's world is an imperfect world. When the perfect world is set up as per the 21st chapter of Revelation; then the language barrier will come to an end and the whole world will once again be unified with one language and one speech. (Gen 11:1)

/

God's Truth

-

I seriously doubt that 1Cor 13:8 has reference to the gift of tongues; rather, to the Tower Of Babel (Gen 11:9).

Today's world is an imperfect world. When the perfect world is set up as per the 21st chapter of Revelation; then the language barrier will come to an end and the whole world will once again be unified with one language and one speech. (Gen 11:1)

As for the statement in 1 Corinthians 13:10, “but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears”, nowadays tongue speakers claim that tongue speaking will not cease until Jesus comes again. However, that scripture does not say tongues will not stop until Jesus comes again. That scripture is about Jesus coming the first time.
The prophets in the Old Testament prophesied about Jesus, and prophets in the New Testament prophesied about our salvation. This is what Paul says, “…where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.”

When you only have prophesy in part, because the prophecy has not yet been fulfilled, or more prophecy is needed, it is imperfect, it is imperfect because the prophesy is in “part” or not yet fulfilled. However, when there is fulfillment of prophecy or more prophecy for what we need to know, then we have full understanding, so then, it is perfect and, that which is perfect is come. The Old Testament believers waited a long time for God to reveal Jesus to us, and now finally, from the Bible, we see that God has revealed Jesus, in the New Testament, the perfect has come. The Bible has everything we need to know for salvation. It is perfect. The New Testament is the “perfect law” given to us, James 1:25. The apostles from the New Testament received all the truth we need to guide us to eternal life, and they wrote this down in the Scriptures: John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:3; Acts 20:20, 27; Matthew 28:20; I Corinthians 14:37; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Romans 16:25-27.

We do not need anyone's tongue speaking to know more things about God's Truth, we have the Bible, and it is finished.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Oh my goodness. You posted something factual. Now, it is possible you have done so in the past, I don't read all of your posts. You are correct. They prophesied in part and they have no knowledge in part. And that ends when with the full revelation.

Think of it this way. Jimmy Swaggart would not need an interpreter if he truly had the gift of tongues, which is not for believers, but unbelievers.

WeberHome

-
1Cor 14:27a . . If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-- or at the most three --should speak; one at a time

People with the gift of tongues are not permitted to speak all at the same time like a mob of howling political activists. That just simply isn't permitted in church.

1Cor 14:23 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand, or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

One of the reasons why I get so annoyed by talk shows like Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kodb, and ABC's The View is because everyone talks all at once like a bunch of undisciplined dogs barking and yapping in a kennel. And the way they interrupt each other back and forth before the other can even finish a sentence is one of the very things we teach children not to do. You'd think those supposedly mature adults grew up without supervision the way they conduct themselves in a conversation.

People with the gift of tongues are to take turns; speaking one at a time, rather than an entire congregation of tonguers barking and yapping like dogs in a kennel whenever they "feel the Spirit" moving them.

FYI: The fruit of the Spirit is self control (Gal 5:23). People claiming to feel the Spirit really ought not to behave like a cage full of excited monkeys.

1 Cor 14:33 . . For God is not a God of disorder but of calm.

/

God's Truth

Oh my goodness. You posted something factual. Now, it is possible you have done so in the past, I don't read all of your posts. You are correct. They prophesied in part and they have no knowledge in part. And that ends when with the full revelation.

Think of it this way. Jimmy Swaggart would not need an interpreter if he truly had the gift of tongues, which is not for believers, but unbelievers.

Thank you Nick. I am so glad that there are beliefs we share in common.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You would be blaspheming and interrupting the Holy Spirit. Back then, it could get you your last breath on the spot. There are no "tongues" today.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.

Paul has to conclude and say "therefore" because some phony will claim tongues that you don't understand is a private prayer devotional language. Or some other mumbo-jumbo.

WeberHome

-
1Cor 13:8-10 . .Whether there be tongues, they shall cease; yada, yada, yada, yada.

God introduced tongues during the Tower Of Babel incident recorded in Gen 11:1-9. He did that to break up world unification. Apparently it was God's judgment that world unification in those days was not a good thing. Well; the language barrier remains in place today; so I'm assuming that world unification in our day is still not a good thing.

In other words: today's world is an imperfect world. But according to 2Pet 3:1-13 and the 21st chapter of Revelation, a new world order is on its way; a perfect world that can be trusted with global unification so there will be no need for a control measure to thwart an all-out proliferation of evil.

But until that perfect world is up and running, there will continue to be a need for the gift of tongues so that Jesus' followers can fulfill his edict to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to everyone everywhere." and to "Teach them all things whatsoever I have commanded you."

WeberHome

-
1 Cor 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

That's just it. God only knows what's coming out of the tonguer's mouth-- they might even be cussing! I should think that's at least one of the reasons why people ought to pray in a language they understand.

A charismatic once informed me that he prayed in a tongue because he couldn't express his deepest feelings any other way. Mind you this was an American adult of almost fifty years old; educated in America and spoke, wrote, and read English his entire life. So I asked him how it is that his command of the English language was so poor that he could only express his thoughts in a language that not even he himself could either identify or understand?

1Cor 14:14-15 . . For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

ps: My charismatic friend should to try expressing love for his wife in a tongue and see how she feels about it.

/

WeberHome

-
1Cor 14:4 . . He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself,

The above is true of someone with the actual gift of tongues only after they've first obtained the ability to understand the strange words coming out of their mouth.

1Cor 14:13-15 . . Anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

But seriously, I don't think the gift of tongues was ever meant for people's personal use anyway; rather, for outreach.

1Cor 14:22 . .Tongues are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers

The sign becomes quite ineffective when the tongue being spoken isn't familiar to the audience.

1Cor 14:23-25 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

The conclusion to draw is that the gift of tongues should be put to use sensibly and intelligently.

/

SimpleMan77

-
● 1Cor 14:4 . . He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself,

The above is true of someone with the actual gift of tongues only after they've first obtained the ability to understand the strange words coming out of their mouth.

● 1Cor 14:13-15 . . Anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

But seriously, I don't think the gift of tongues was ever meant for people's personal use anyway; rather, for outreach.

● 1Cor 14:22 . .Tongues are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers

The sign becomes quite ineffective when the tongue being spoken isn't familiar to the audience.

● 1Cor 14:23-25 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

The conclusion to draw is that the gift of tongues should be put to use sensibly and intelligently.

/

You can't pick and choose only the verses you like - you have to accept the whole thing.
1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
Speaking in an unknown tongue (one that NO MAN UNDERSTANDS) is a sanctioned part of Paul's teaching. It must be in order, but it hasn't been done away with.
And for those believing tongues are no longer needed because "that which is perfect" has come, has KNOWLEDGE ALSO CEASED?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

oatmeal

-
According to Acts 2:4-11, the gift of tongues is supposed to enable the giftees to be heard in a variety of honest to gosh, real-life languages.

/

That miracle, the fact that someone was present that understood the tongues spoken by the twelve is not guaranteed in scripture.

The language or languages spoken maybe a tongue of men or a tongue of angels. I Corinthians 13:1 If it is the tongues of angels being spoken, then no human would understand it. After all, who has an angel/English dictionary?

That it is the either the tongue of men or angels, that information does not guarantee that when anyone speaks in tongues in a situation with people who speak other languages that the others will understand the speaker.

It happened on the day of Pentecost, certainly, but is there any evidence that it happened on a faithful basis after that?

Not in scripture, but it does occur at times.

Have you read I Corinthians 12:7-11 closely?

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Have you noticed that the list of nine is preceded by a verse that refers to manifestation?

That has been a very common point of misunderstanding by many.

Speaking in tongues and the rest of the eight are manifestations of the gift of Holy Spirit.

When we receive the gift of holy spirit from the Holy Spirit, also known as the gift of salvation, we inherently receive with the gift the ability to do the same works as Jesus Christ, John 14:12 and greater works. We have the ability to manifest all nine of the manifestations, having the gift of holy spirit, our job is to manifest it in the nine profitable ways that God lists in these verses.