Nuking Mecca - Reasonable Course Of Action Or Bat Crazy Far Right...

expos4ever

Brutality won out.
You are going to have to get meaner than your opponent or be left in the dust getting walked all over.
I doubt it. We are now enjoying one of the most peaceful, if not the most peaceful, periods in human history. On a per capita basis, all forms of violence are in decline - war, murder, terror, abuse of animals - you name it. In short, since about the 1950s the world has been remarkably peaceful. That is, of course, if you take care to study the data responsibly and are not misled by headlines.

And this state of relative peace was certainly not achieved by force of arms. It was achieved through something far less spectacular - a slow, inexorable civilizing and humanizing process. For one, we came to understand that it is more profitable all around to see "the other" not as a potential threat, but as a customer with whom we can profitably trade. But there are a myriad of other explanations for the clear decline in violence, and none of them have to do with blasting your enemy into oblivion.

It is doubtless true that aggressive, effective military action can attain short-term peace. But, to borrow from Steven Pinker - a more robust solution lies in taming the inner demons of dominance, sadism, revenge, and utopian idealism and invigorating the better angels of our nature: empathy, self-control, and reason.

expos4ever

Since you're of the same kind as those who import such people, that's your dilemma to fix. Mohammedans who do ALL of these things have been given free reign in every Western nation. How are YOU going to do to begin to fix it?
Certainly not by provocative (and toothless) actions like a travel ban clearly intended to gratify the xenophobic/racist sentiments of some Americans. And certainly not by "nuking Mecca".

The answer is, of course, to wage a war of ideas with Islam (and with, for that matter, many harmful religious worldviews including American fundamentalism which, oddly, seems to have added militarism to the ingredients they use to cook up a "Christian" worldview). "Nuking Mecca" will, obviously, result in a huge surge in retaliatory acts of terror.

I suggest you Americans have your own "war" on your hands - the war between those who elected Donald Trump and who buy into his narrative of fear, xenophobia, winners and losers,and those committed to reason, self-control and cosmopolitanism. I expect this war will actually be won by attrition as the generally older and generally whiter Trump supporter fade away with time.

musterion

I doubt it. We are now enjoying one of the most peaceful, if not the most peaceful, periods in human history. On a per capita basis, all forms of violence are in decline - war, murder, terror, abuse of animals - you name it. In short, since about the 1950s the world has been remarkably peaceful. That is, of course, if you take care to study the data responsibly and are not misled by headlines.

And this state of relative peace was certainly not achieved by force of arms. It was achieved through something far less spectacular - a slow, inexorable civilizing and humanizing process. For one, we came to understand that it is more profitable all around to see "the other" not as a potential threat, but as a customer with whom we can profitably trade. But there are a myriad of other explanations for the clear decline in violence, and none of them have to do with blasting your enemy into oblivion.

It is doubtless true that aggressive, effective military action can attain short-term peace. But, to borrow from Steven Pinker - a more robust solution lies in taming the inner demons of dominance, sadism, revenge, and utopian idealism and invigorating the better angels of our nature: empathy, self-control, and reason.

Fake.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Fake news.

Ah, the wingnut litany against reason.

Full Version:

I must not reason.
Reason is the prejudice-killer.
Reason is the little-death that obliterates ideology.
I will face the reason of others.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the reason has gone there will be nothing. Only my ideology will remain.

musterion

Ah, the wingnut litany against reason.

Full Version:

I must not reason.
Reason is the prejudice-killer.
Reason is the little-death that obliterates ideology.
I will face the reason of others.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the reason has gone there will be nothing. Only my ideology will remain.

Ah, the return of the obese brainwashed drone, who condemns all judging while judging, loves to have the thinking done for him, loves all that is fake over truth, loves all that is perverted.

Arthur Brain

I am new here and am shocked by the crazy things I am reading. Are people really suggesting a nuclear option re 9/11?

Oh, I wish I could tell you no...but unfortunately they're a hundred percent sincere, a hundred percent bat crazy as well but they mean it alright.

Arthur Brain

Ah, the return of the obese brainwashed drone, who condemns all judging while judging, loves to have the thinking done for him, loves all that is fake over truth, loves all that is perverted.

Yeh, this from a guy who links to far right blogs as a source of "news".

Can't make this stuff up...

:freak:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Certainly not by provocative (and toothless) actions like a travel ban clearly intended to gratify the xenophobic/racist sentiments of some Americans.
Aren't you just full of unsubstantiated adjectives.

The answer is, of course, to wage a war of ideas with Islam
A war of ideas????
ROFL!

"Nuking Mecca" will, obviously, result in a huge surge in retaliatory acts of terror.
ROFL!
Nuking Mecca would be retaliation for their acts of terror.

I suggest you Americans have your own "war" on your hands - the war between those who elected Donald Trump and who buy into his narrative of fear, xenophobia, winners and losers,and those committed to reason, self-control and cosmopolitanism. I expect this war will actually be won by attrition as the generally older and generally whiter Trump supporter fade away with time.
ROFL!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I doubt it.
Then you haven't paid attention to history.

And this state of relative peace was certainly not achieved by force of arms.
Really?
So everyone kept their guns?

It is doubtless true that aggressive, effective military action can attain short-term peace.
It was because of a highly aggressive action in WWII that made it possible for you to make this next statement ....

In short, since about the 1950s the world has been remarkably peaceful.