NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I once argued with AB about the future of the NFL, declaring it a superior game, the ultimate television oriented event and an inevitable world sensation. I saw the NFL's forays into other markets in a more and more participatory way as the opening shots in the commercial war.

Now I'm wondering if it will be around in a few generations. This week four young men quit the league rather than risk their mental health over the long haul. That in itself isn't necessarily reason to worry, if you're a fan. What is though is the impact the discussion of head injury is having at the Pop Warner league level and with mothers. I think it's serious. I think it threatens the long term viability of the league and I wonder if anything can be done about it, short of transforming the league into a speedy, low impact ghost of itself.

Caledvwlch

I once argued with AB about the future of the NFL, declaring it a superior game, the ultimate television oriented event and an inevitable world sensation. I saw the NFL's forays into other markets in a more and more participatory way as the opening shots in the commercial war.

Now I'm wondering if it will be around in a few generations. This week four young men quit the league rather than risk their mental health over the long haul. That in itself isn't necessarily reason to worry, if you're a fan. What is though is the impact the discussion of head injury is having at the Pop Warner league level and with mothers. I think it's serious. I think it threatens the long term viability of the league and I wonder if anything can be done about it, short of transforming the league into a speedy, low impact ghost of itself.

It's the lower levels of football where most of that damage is happening. The lottery "winners" who end up playing in the NFL just end up getting hit a lot harder for a few years longer.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
So you can watch him on the sidelines? If Bradford stays healthy (very big if at this point) he will be starting.
I want to see Tebow play. Some team needs to give him a fair shot. I think New York picked him up to bury him and they did.

Mocking You

Yes, I think that is where football is headed. Less hitting, more protection for offensive players, more scoring. The game won't look like it does now, just 15 years from now. It's changed a lot in the past five years. There's a touchback on virtually every kickoff. They are going to do something about extra point gimmees, either narrow the goalposts or move the spot back. They will further redefine a legal tackle. I suppose they will allow coaches challenges on more types of plays.

From a fan standpoint, I can't stand the constant commercials on TV. I used to flip over to NFL Red Zone during commercials but now I've taken to DVR-ing the game. I start playing the recording about an hour into the game. In this manner I can avoid all the commercials, the coaches challenges (if I want to), injury timeouts, etc. I typically end the game at the same time it's ending in real time.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I want to see Tebow play.

He did. Would you like a low light video?

Some team needs to give him a fair shot.

So you think they would rather lose in the NFL? You can't be serious.

I think New York picked him up to bury him and they did.

Just when I think CL and Shaggy have the top spots locked up for biggest TOL idiots....

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Brothers (literally) Maurkice Pouncey and Mike Pouncey made some very critical comments of Mike Wallace today.

Maurkice played with Wallace in Pittsburgh, and Mike played with Wallace in Miami.

If I'm Mike Wallace, I'm probably not too concerned with what two guys who supported Aaron Hernandez have to say about me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Tebow.jpg

Is his heart in the right place? I don't know. I think it is, but I can't say.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think Tim meant to glorify God by it and not himself, so I'll cut him slack on that, though once it became a distraction and point of contention I think he would have done better by himself and his faith to have abandoned it on the field.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here is a compliation of the rules changes the NFL is proposing. They do this every year, often without changes. From ESPN.com

Rule, Bylaw, Resolution Changes To Be Discussed At Owners Meetings

RULE PROPOSALS
1. Allow a coach to challenge any officials' decision, except scoring plays and turnovers.
2. Subject all fouls to review.
3. Subject personal foul penalties to Instant Replay review pursuant to a coach's challenge.
4. Subject personal foul penalties to instant replay review.
5. Subject to instant replay review any penalty that results in an automatic first down.
6. A foul against a defenseless receiver may be enforced when a reversal results in an incomplete pass.
7. Reviewable plays will include fouls against defenseless players, and an unsuccessful challenge will not cost a team a timeout.
8. Eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Reply challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.
9. Expand plays for which reviews will be initiated by the Replay Official to include those that would result in a score or change of possession if the on-field ruling is reversed.
10. Add review of game clock on the final play of a half or overtime to Instant Replay system.
11. Add review of play clock to the Instant Replay system.
12. Put fixed cameras on all boundary lines.
13. Stadium-produced video may be used for an Instant Replay review.
14. Move the line of scrimmage for Try Kicks to the defensive team's 15-yard line.
15. Add a bonus field goal for one additional point after a successful two-point attempt.
16. Prohibit Team B players from pushing teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation when Team A presents a punt formation.
17. Both teams will have a possession in overtime.
18. Extend the prohibition for an illegal "peel back" block to all offensive players.
19. Give the intended receiver of a pass defenseless player protection in the immediate continuing action following an interception.
20. Allow for the enforcement of an Unsportsmanlike Conduct foul at the end of a half to be applied to the ensuing kickoff.
21. Make it illegal for a back to chop a defensive player engaged above the waist by another offensive player outside the area originally occupied by the tight end.
22. Permit clubs to assign additional jersey numbers to linebackers. Add 40-49 as eligible numbers for linebackers, in addition to 50-59 and 90-99.
23. Make it illegal for an offensive player with an eligible number to report as ineligible and line up outside the core of the formation.

I agree with the concepts but the execution is often flawed. Like when instant replay came, went, and came back "indisputable evidence". The failure is that a call has to be made on the field even without actually seeing it. Then the video has to absolutely over rule, or not at all.

They should do like hockey at times. No call, go to the monitor. Especially the personal fouls where a player retaliates and only one person draws a penalty. But that won't happen.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nothing that would lengthen the game will pass muster. The lesson of baseball isn't lost on the front office. The both teams getting a possession in OT is another matter. That the fan base would appreciate. More game in an active sense is a plus. More time in a standing around/sitting around waiting on someone to watch tv...not so much.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It doesn't have to take longer, no call, go straight to the monitor. Picture the scrum. They don't need to huddle up and talk about what they didn't see. That is wasting time.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chris Borland retires after one season. So what. This shows how weak he was mentally. Or brainwashed by Wisconsin. You decide.

Jedidiah

Yes, I think that is where football is headed. Less hitting, more protection for offensive players, more scoring. The game won't look like it does now, just 15 years from now. It's changed a lot in the past five years. There's a touchback on virtually every kickoff. They are going to do something about extra point gimmees, either narrow the goalposts or move the spot back. They will further redefine a legal tackle. I suppose they will allow coaches challenges on more types of plays.

From a fan standpoint, I can't stand the constant commercials on TV. I used to flip over to NFL Red Zone during commercials but now I've taken to DVR-ing the game. I start playing the recording about an hour into the game. In this manner I can avoid all the commercials, the coaches challenges (if I want to), injury timeouts, etc. I typically end the game at the same time it's ending in real time.
I think we've got as civil as we can get in football. They're calling guys for shoulderpad-to-shoulderpad hits sometimes now. Head injuries are at the forefront of everyone's minds already; players, coaches, the owners, the refs...maybe they'll develop a larger helmet or something but I don't see it getting any more restrictive in terms of what constitutes a clean hit.

Jedidiah

And LT shortened his career. The hits qbs took in those days. Playing to Brady's or Peyton's age wasn't rare because of a lack of interest.
A very salient point. Montana was undoubtedly tougher physically than Brady. Brady is too frail to have lasted more than a season or two in Montana's days. Maybe four or five.

But to that point, Manning isn't even physically tough enough for today's game. He got smoked in the tournament this year because of injury. He lost to Seattle last year because of injury. He wouldn't be playing long in Montana's day either. The best quarterback today who would have fun in the 80s is Andrew Luck, but he doesn't have near the mental toughness and/or precision of Brady or Montana.

One point I'd add is that the defenders in Montana's days weren't as big as they are now. In 85 Perry was called the Refrigerator; he'd be an average lineman today. And these are the monsters chasing Brady and Manning all over the field today. Yes, they are limited in hitting them; late hits are amazingly close to releasing the ball now, while it seems defenders were given three seconds to lay a hit on a QB in Montana and Bradshaw's eras; but when they are able to hit the QB legally, they can pack more of a wallop than even the largest guys could in the 80s.

Montana wouldn't have been injured as early in today's NFL. But would he have been better at Brady in critical drives ? This is the mentally tough part of the game, when your team absolutely needs to convert this drive, or else you lose the championship; both Montana and Brady are like Greg Maddox in these situations -- just deadly accurate. Against Denver Montana didn't have to be. The winning drive in Brady's four championships didn't always fall at a dramatic stage of the game, but when it did, Brady showed exactly the same mental toughness that Montana did during the 4th Q of SB 23 against Cinci. Tearing off 9-for-9 against Seattle when he needed to proved to be the difference in this last game, and it appeared to be at the time as well.

Montana never lost a SB. We can't take that away from him. But can we add Brady's tumultuous off field life into the mix ? When Nick thought he was "winning" championships he was dating and then having a kid with a movie star. Then he married a Brazilian German supermodel and had kids with her. He still has a kid with his ex. All that may sound like rich people's problems, but I for one cannot imagine performing at the top of my own game, with all that going on at home. Meanwhile Montana's homelife was more like my own and probably a lot of ours. Should off field situations affect, or be a factor in your play? there are arguments for both sides, but there is no argument about who's off field life was more of a weight to bear, between Brady and Montana (and between Brady and Manning for that matter).

:idunno:

;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The best quarterback today who would have fun in the 80s is Andrew Luck, but he doesn't have near the mental toughness and/or precision of Brady or Montana.

Huh? You do know he had the highest grade coming from college since Elway, right? That requires precision.

Jedidiah

Huh? You do know he had the highest grade coming from college since Elway, right? That requires precision.
If Luck blossoms into an elite QB, then I'm happy, because I like the guy, he's got spunk; a great attitude in any player let alone a quarterback. Maybe when Manning and Brady hang up the cleats he'll begin his own reign. For the time being, he's not as good as Brady is; so I hope he's learning how to be better in playing against him.

It took Elway a while to figure out how to string to all together for a whole season, including the tournament. Kelly never did. I still don't think that Manning has figured it all out, his one ring notwithstanding. His one SB win kind of went his way from the first snap. And it may be physically too late for him to do anything about it now.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A very salient point. Montana was undoubtedly tougher physically than Brady.
Not sure, but I'm sure Brady hasn't had to deal with the sort of hits and neither has his wrs.

Brady is too frail to have lasted more than a season or two in Montana's days. Maybe four or five.
Brady is six-four, two twenty five. Montana was six-two, about two hundred and five. I'm not saying he isn't tough or that he isn't better built to take punishment, only that the rules don't allow for it or for the sort of mugging wrs had to deal with and that can really impact production. It's part of the reason we have Marino's passing record suddenly jumped on by more than a couple of qbs.

But to that point, Manning isn't even physically tough enough for today's game.
You're insane. He's thrived, garnered league MVPs and made two SBs while dominating the regular season like few qbs ever have.

Seems like he's doing fine in today's game. :plain:

He got smoked in the tournament this year because of injury.
Well, if you take the legs out of a throw and the qb has an average arm with them, sure.

He lost to Seattle last year because of injury.
It hurt what he could do on the rare instances when he had time to throw, to be sure, though I think what really decided the contest was the failure of the offensive line to handle Seattle's pass rush.

He wouldn't be playing long in Montana's day either.
No reason to think that. Like Marino, he's one of the best at getting the ball out of his hands in short order and he's a big boy to boot. Anyone, Montana to Elway to Brady is one hit away from a down slide, but that's the nature of any contact sport.

The best quarterback today who would have fun in the 80s is Andrew Luck, but he doesn't have near the mental toughness and/or precision of Brady or Montana.
He's a kid. Looking pretty good for that, but it's early and you're comparing him to two of the best to ever play the game.

One point I'd add is that the defenders in Montana's days weren't as big as they are now.
Neither line was, though they've both beefed up.

when they are able to hit the QB legally, they can pack more of a wallop than even the largest guys could in the 80s.
That's likely true.

Montana wouldn't have been injured as early in today's NFL. But would he have been better at Brady in critical drives ? This is the mentally tough part of the game, when your team absolutely needs to convert this drive, or else you lose the championship; both Montana and Brady are like Greg Maddox in these situations -- just deadly accurate. Against Denver Montana didn't have to be. The winning drive in Brady's four championships didn't always fall at a dramatic stage of the game, but when it did, Brady showed exactly the same mental toughness that Montana did during the 4th Q of SB 23 against Cinci. Tearing off 9-for-9 against Seattle when he needed to proved to be the difference in this last game, and it appeared to be at the time as well.
Again, I'm not knocking Brady, but Montana simply has better numbers.

Montana never lost a SB.
Or threw a pick.

We can't take that away from him. But can we add Brady's tumultuous off field life into the mix ?
Well...no.

Status
Not open for further replies.