Nation's food supply chain is breaking

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It's bad. Like a lot of other places ....

The UK is most decidedly not "like a lot of other places" - it is unique in its degree of failure. The only country that might possibly eclipse it is the looming catastrophe in India.

... not least of which the USA ...

The UK is twice as bad as the USA, considered as a whole

Four times as bad as 99% of the US when you exclude the mess in Metro NYC

The place where your president thought cases would reduce to zero after a coupla weeks ...

he was wrong

largely because of the actions of morons like Pelosi, deBlasio, Stein, half the population of NYC ....

there's no reason we couldn't have achieved the same results as Taiwan and South Korea, except that half of our population is made up of infantile leftists

ok doser

I didn't know it was so bad for the UK.

Me neither. I took artie and eider at their word that all their precautions were being complied with, everybody was following the recommendations coming from Whitehall, etc, etc etc.

This is shocking that they are more into talking bad about Trump than speaking about the bad state of affairs for the people in the UK.

Do you see what artie did just above? He acknowledged it with two words and then deflected right back to bashing Trump.

He is insane.

God's Truth

For what exactly? Trump to give excuses as to how he wasn't actually in control of anything to start with?
What is the control you think Trump didn't have?

You are not from this country so maybe your don't understand about Governors?

Tell me how well prepared Boris was.

God's Truth

Me neither. I took artie and eider at their word that all their precautions were being complied with, everybody was following the recommendations coming from Whitehall, etc, etc etc.

Do you see what artie did just above? He acknowledged it with two words and then deflected right back to bashing Trump.

He is insane.

It is bizarre. lol

ok doser

I was thinking about this earlier when I was outside doing yardwork - in February Trump could have declared a national emergency and used the military to lock down Metro NYC, hard. That's about the only thing he could have done different that would have been effective. Forced compliance with harsh directives, much like was done in South Korea and Taiwan. Except in S. Korea and Taiwan, you didn't have a population made up of infantile leftists who were champing at the bit to thumb their noses at their national leader. You had largely compliant populations who took the actions they were told to.

Here in NNY, with a large military presence, we followed orders, generally. And it shows in our numbers.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
meatpacking.jpeg

Working shoulder on the line for minimum wage and without proper PPEs in a meat processing plant has become one of the most dangerous jobs during this COVID-19 pandemic!

Does the President's recent proclamation actually improve on the access to PPEs and working conditions for the workers - many of whom are recent immigrants, some undocumented, who being ordered to jeopardize their health and that of their families!

Last edited:

ok doser

Working shoulder on the line for minimum wage and without proper PPEs in a meat processing plant has become one of the most dangerous jobs during this COVID-19 pandemic!

Does the President's recent proclamation actually improve on the access to PPEs and working conditions for the workers - many of whom are recent immigrants, some undocumented, who being ordered to jeopardize their health and that of their families!

How's that working out in meat packing plants in YOUR country?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6857867/alberta-covid-19-meat-processing-beef-production/​​​​​​

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Only if you really want massive shortages.

Honestly this may be a good thing, not shortages per se but, having meat production especially staying local, not being processed in large processing plants is a good thing where I am standing. I don't shop at the major chain grocery store anyway, I shop at a regional independent which gets our meat, dairy, & produce from local farmers. I have a rancher friend that sells beef, hay, & some hogs, he told me that this china virus has affected his business but, that he is making the same money. He said that he is selling less product locally but, it pays more to not ship to the processing facilities, have it processed locally, sell it locally. For the consumer, having our supply chain locally instead of at a huge processing plant has to be a more healthy alternative to mass produced food so, I think the new normal might just be better for us all in the long run. I would rather support local farmers & ranchers with my money than support large processing & grocery conglomerates anyway.

Right Divider

Body part
Honestly this may be a good thing, not shortages per se but, having meat production especially staying local, not being processed in large processing plants is a good thing where I am standing. I don't shop at the major chain grocery store anyway, I shop at a regional independent which gets our meat, dairy, & produce from local farmers. I have a rancher friend that sells beef, hay, & some hogs, he told me that this china virus has affected his business but, that he is making the same money. He said that he is selling less product locally but, it pays more to not ship to the processing facilities, have it processed locally, sell it locally. For the consumer, having our supply chain locally instead of at a huge processing plant has to be a more healthy alternative to mass produced food so, I think the new normal might just be better for us all in the long run. I would rather support local farmers & ranchers with my money than support large processing & grocery conglomerates anyway.

I was simply pointing out the fact that law of supply and demand cannot be manipulated without seriously adverse consequences.

The government, any government, cannot simply force prices to be some magical number and expect to escape the consequences.

Forced lower prices produce supply shortages and that a fact.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I was simply pointing out the fact that law of supply and demand cannot be manipulated without seriously adverse consequences.

The government, any government, cannot simply force prices to be some magical number and expect to escape the consequences.

Forced lower prices produce supply shortages and that a fact.

That is the problem with jumping into a conversation, you risk being out of context...lol. I apologize, my commentary was just that...commentary, I should have just posted my thoughts instead of quoting you, I would have saved you from correcting me on context :e4e:. Oops

Right Divider

Body part
That is the problem with jumping into a conversation, you risk being out of context...lol. I apologize, my commentary was just that...commentary, I should have just posted my thoughts instead of quoting you, I would have saved you from correcting me on context :e4e:. Oops

No problem rocketman. I liked what you had to say.

I'm just so exceedingly tired of those that think that the government has magic powers that can defy the laws of nature (including supply and demand).

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

With respect to the food supply chain, the meat packing plants wouldn't have been forced to shut down if management had taken the necessary measures to protect the health of its workers and their families!

Many of these workers are immigrants, some undocumented, working shoulder to shoulder for minimum wage without proper PPEs!

Given the hostility of the Trump Administration, the Republican Party and the GOP state governors towards immigrants, plant management knows that these immigrant workers are never going to complain to the authorities, which means they have had a "free hand" to cut corners with worker safety to maximize profits!

How ironic that the nation's food chain is now largely dependent on immigrant labor - the one group that this President has spent the last 3 1/2 years appealing to the prejudices of his base by "demonizing!"

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

You are not from this country so maybe your don't understand about Governors?

Tell me how well prepared Boris was.

Self control for starters... He downplayed this virus from the start and just seemed to hope that it would magically go away until he finally had to face the music and admit it was a crisis. He ignored advice that it was going to be a pandemic until he had no choice.

Britain could have been prepared better as well and mistakes were made. There should have been a lockdown earlier AFAIC as the initial measures of encouraging people not to go to pubs or gatherings were not going to work.

God's Truth

Self control for starters... He downplayed this virus from the start and just seemed to hope that it would magically go away until he finally had to face the music and admit it was a crisis. He ignored advice that it was going to be a pandemic until he had no choice.
That is not true. Trump stopped China from coming to America in January.

The ignorant Democrats made it hard for people to find toilet paper because of their PANIC TACTICS.

Britain could have been prepared better as well and mistakes were made.
Are you kidding? Trump is a hero compared to what your leader did.

There should have been a lockdown earlier AFAIC as the initial measures of encouraging people not to go to pubs or gatherings were not going to work.

In your country?

Arthur Brain

That is not true. Trump stopped China from coming to America in January.

The ignorant Democrats made it hard for people to find toilet paper because of their PANIC TACTICS.

Are you kidding? Trump is a hero compared to what your leader did.

In your country?

Oh, the democrats were responsible for a shortage of loo rolls?! :rotfl:

I wasn't kidding but there's little point in expecting reason from people who just adulate this guy so you carry on. He's great!