Killing in the Name of...

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
If you advocate killing your enemy, you are working against Jesus and His teaching.

You guys seem the need to be pointed out obvious and simple logic of Jesus' word
So you're thinking that a criminal who rapes and murders babies; we shouldn't kill them? They don't deserve to die? They shouldn't be given the death penalty?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
So you're thinking that a criminal who rapes and murders babies; we shouldn't kill them? They don't deserve to die? They shouldn't be given the death penalty?

This kind of question comes from not knowing Jesus' word of "His followers are not of the world.".

1M1S and Jamey are the same category as your are, friend. They don't know that either.

it is not so hard to understand what He is saying if you are true His follower.

Even I explain or show what Jesus says, you guys refuse to know it.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
A criminal who rapes and murders babies, Meshak. Think about it, please.

I dont play straw man game.

You will not try so hard to make excuses to justify your unfaithful practice if you are true Jesus' follower.

think about it, friend.

Last edited:

glassjester

My point is, I don't know of a single major religion that teaches that there is anything immoral about defending your own, and others' lives. Pacifism may not be immoral, but armed aggression is not, in and of itself, devoid of context, immoral.

Sure, yes.

And there's nothing immoral about defending your own (or another's) life with deadly force - when necessary.
But we're not to kill for the purpose of killing.

Do you disagree with the Church's teaching on the death penalty?
You are Catholic, yes?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Sure, yes.

And there's nothing immoral about defending your own (or another's) life with deadly force - when necessary.

You are Catholic, yes?
What I personally believe is beyond the scope of the thread, but since you asked, I believe that the Church's teaching regarding the death penalty is that it is not only permitted but morally imperative to kill those against whom innocent people cannot be protected otherwise. This justifies therefore for example a thorough and carefully executed coup, when the above condition is met. Again, this is my personal view, but is outside the scope of the thread, which the OP defines as :
...Let's take the stance for the sake of argument that...killing human beings in order to extinguish an antisocial faith is verboten. Whatever we think about moral offenses, we agree that killing in order to extinguish the motive faith that animates such antisocial behavior (which defines the faith as antisocial; its fruit), is off the table...

...What should we the Church do?

balut55

The true Christian knows that salvation is possible for anyone. It would be our duty to preach the word to a criminal if given the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

balut55

Sure, yes.

You are Catholic, yes?

But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.
21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.

What will you do at this time? Turn the other cheek?

Our persecutors are swifter than the eagles of the heaven: they pursued us upon the mountains, they laid wait for us in the wilderness.

Fallen angels? Drones?

balut55

You are filled with so much spirit that he speaks for you. Doesn't sound like rapture leftovers to me.

marhig

Can I ask you something, would you be able to kill them?

marhig

I've had to ask myself this question before, and the answer is yes. If it is my job, then yes I could do my job.
I couldn't do it, executing someone anyway, because God said thou shalt not kill, and God doesn't change. If someone was attacking a child in front of me, I would defend them, and i would do whatever it takes to protect them. But I couldn't be the one who executes someone, although I don't believe in letting anyone who is wicked to a child walk free, I think that they should be put away for their whole life and never let out again as they would be a danger to children.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I couldn't do it, executing someone anyway, because God said thou shalt not kill, and God doesn't change. If someone was attacking a child in front of me, I would defend them, and i would do whatever it takes to protect them. But I couldn't be the one who executes someone, although I don't believe in letting anyone who is wicked to a child walk free, I think that they should be put away for their whole life and never let out again as they would be a danger to children.
Yes, and in that case, where that penalty serves to protect all innocent people from them, then that is my view also, and also the Church's view. It is only in the case that innocent people cannot be protected from such criminals, that the Church teaches that the death penalty is warranted, permitted, encouraged and even required. If for example such a monster has influence outside their prison, then they should be killed.

That is my view, but again, this is off-topic, since I'm posing the position that in no case should we kill criminals, and asking what the Church should do in such a world.

marhig

Yes, and in that case, where that penalty serves to protect all innocent people from them, then that is my view also, and also the Church's view. It is only in the case that innocent people cannot be protected from such criminals, that the Church teaches that the death penalty is warranted, permitted, encouraged and even required. If for example such a monster has influence outside their prison, then they should be killed.

That is my view, but again, this is off-topic, since I'm posing the position that in no case should we kill criminals, and asking what the Church should do in such a world.

Which church teaches that the death penalty is warranted?

Also, Jesus never taught the death penalty, he taught against violence, when Peter cut the ear off by the sword, Jesus put it back on. And Paul said that our weapons of warfare are not carnal.

And there have been people who have been executed then they have been proven innocent afterwards.

I don't agree with the death penalty, for whatever the reason, I believe in life in prison for those deeds that others might see as deserving death. And when I say life, I mean life not just a few years and then out.

If someone is wicked to a child, then they shouldn't ever be realised. Thats punishment anyway, even knowing that they will never get out again.