Jessica Simpson's Outrageous Comment

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pepper, sorry I hadn't seen your response... fast moving thread.

Pepper said:
No it's not only wrong because it's illegal, it's wrong because there are way more people out there that I don't want to see naked than the ones that I do want to see naked.

Yeah it would still be wrong because there would still be people I don't want to see naked.

Yes please leave the law in tact!!!!! It would be tragic if I had to see certain people naked, I would have to claw out my own eyes.
So what is right and wrong is based on your personal preferences? Is that what you're saying? (I would assume you're being sarcastic to avoid giving a serious answer, but I've seen people state such things before and mean it.)

No, it shouldn't be done away with because of that. But a woman should still be able to dress however she would like.
...Unless you don't like it, assuming your above responses were honest.

If men can walk around in speedos or tight shorts and no shirts...
Who said it was appropriate for men to dress that way?
...why can't a woman?
Am I to conclude from this question that you don't count anything above the waist among the "important parts" that a woman ought to keep covered in public? (If so, then perhaps you do favor changing the current laws after all.)

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Turbo said:
Pepper, sorry I hadn't seen your response... fast moving thread.

So what is right and wrong is based on your personal preferences? Is that what you're saying? (I would assume you're being sarcastic to avoid giving a serious answer, but I've seen people state such things before and mean it.)

...Unless you don't like it, assuming your above responses were honest.

Who said it was appropriate for men to dress that way? Am I to conclude from this question that you don't count anything above the waist among the "important parts" that a woman ought to keep covered in public? (If so, then perhaps you do favor changing the current laws after all.)

Apparently wearing a thong out in public is ok with Pepper.

and

Apparently a little girl wearing a bikini and gyrating around while singing a Jennifer Lopez song is ok with allsmiles.

Am I wrong?

allsmiles

Shimei said:

and

Apparently a little girl wearing a bikini and gyrating around while singing a Jennifer Lopez song is ok with allsmiles.

Am I wrong?

there's a reason why you haven't been dignified with a response.

taoist

Shimei said:
Personally, I'd draw the line well before Rosie O'Donnell. But that's just a question of good taste.

Drats! Where is that possum?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
there's a reason why you haven't been dignified with a response.

Ok, I am sorry I called you allsmells.

Now will you answer the question?

Lovejoy

allsmiles said:
you don't believe financial success exists?
I don't believe it makes you a successful person. And I certainly don't judge the quality of a thing by it's ability to make money. However, if the goal was indeed to generate a profit, then by definition it is a success if it does.

koban

Turbo said:
He (Jessica Simpson's father) admits that he condoned her dressing like a tramp when she was living under his authority. Didn't you read the opening post?
"When we were in church work, they (my daughters) wore bikinis and short shorts. People in the church got mad at me then, but we believe that what's in the heart is more important than what's on the outside."​

I don't see him "admit(ting) that he condoned her dressing like a tramp", do you? Do you think bikinis and short shorts are necessarily trampish? I live in a neighborhood full of kids and this summer they're wearing as little as possible due to the heat. Most of them are in the pools more than they're out of them, and yes, bikinis and short shorts are rampant. Does this mean that my neighborhood is in rampant moral decline, or that these kids are tramps or (as another poster has argued) selling sex or acting as prostitutes?

Mr. Simpson must think Paul was out of line when he wrote:

I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. 1 Timothy 2:9-10​

OK - so according to Paul, she shouldn't wear braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes. Should we confront those who do? How does one dress with good deeds?

Do you think Paul was out of line in requiring women to cover their heads in church? Does your church observe this?

allsmiles

it wasn't my daughter, it wasn't my sister, so i couldn't possibly care less what behavior a mother will condone her daughter for.

theo_victis

Does this mean that my neighborhood is in rampant moral decline, or that these kids are tramps or (as another poster has argued) selling sex or acting as prostitutes?

This is my point. Its ok, if your intentions arent sexual. But having seen that music video of Jessica's there is no doubt why she dressed the way she did. Duh! Same reason britney spears did, christina aguilara, and maddonna did it.

The thing i dont understand, is why everyone expects Jessica to be better or on another playing level then her peer singers. She obviously doesnt have conservative moral values. I think there are worse people to pick on for their values that are being spread into pop culture: such people as marylin manson, and the ACLU. Dont get me wrong, i dont approve of Jessica's intentions for her apparrel.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
it wasn't my daughter, it wasn't my sister, so i couldn't possibly care less what behavior a mother will condone her daughter for.

What if it was your daughter, would you oppose it?

Rimi

Pepper said:
If the laws were different, it would be up to the idividual who was walking out of the house naked, now wouldn't it? As you said, it wouldnt' be up to me.

Please refrain from the name calling, it just makes you look more unintelligent.

Apologies for the name calling. However, you've still not answered the question. You were asked if it would still be wrong if the law were changed to OK walking around nekked, not if it was up to you.

Lovejoy

allsmiles said:
i'm not qualified to answer that question.

why don't you ask someone who knows what it's like to have a daughter?
Having a daughter nearly drove my mother insane. As such, I tend not to ask too many questions about the experience. It makes her edgy. :chuckle:

Rimi

allsmiles said:
i'm not qualified to answer that question.

why don't you ask someone who knows what it's like to have a daughter?

You've never given any thought at all as to how you'd raise kids if you had them? You've never seen an bratty kid, or a 9 yr old wearing more makeup than a drag queen at the Blue Oyster and said, "If that were my kid . . . "?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Lovejoy said:
And Jessica certainly has not gone the Madonna route yet! Far from it. Right now she is more Chrissy from Three's Company than the sex addicted dominatrix that Madonna sold herself as (and in a very calculated fashion). Really, the biggest hurt from the Christian community (in regards to Jessica) is that they were used to launch her career, so she is held to a higher standard. I, personally, think it is the proper standard by any means or consideration, but she will be the one most held by it. This is not that much different than arguing over whether or not Green Day sold out the gutter punk community by going mainstream.

Not yet, but twenty years from now. That's all I'm saying.