Is M.A.D. a dangerous heresy? It demands much scripture to be ignored

musterion

@Tambora @SaulToPaul @Lighthouse @Clete @heir
What about something slightly less obvious? Say, a guy living with his girlfriend outside of marriage. In today's culture many people have never heard it's wrong.

He hears the word preached, and the preacher says "your salvation has nothing to do with your works". He believes, and one day as he is reading the Bible he reads that fornication is a sin, a work of the flesh.

He come to you and says "I see in scripture that God says fornication is a sin. I want to please Him, but I am afraid if I take steps to change my life to be obedient to God's desires I will be guilty of trying to become justified by works".

What do you tell him?

Before they answer, I'm curious what YOU would tell him.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
@Tambora @SaulToPaul @Lighthouse @Clete @heir
What about something slightly less obvious? Say, a guy living with his girlfriend outside of marriage. In today's culture many people have never heard it's wrong.

He hears the word preached, and the preacher says "your salvation has nothing to do with your works". He believes, and one day as he is reading the Bible he reads that fornication is a sin, a work of the flesh.

He come to you and says "I see in scripture that God says fornication is a sin. I want to please Him, but I am afraid if I take steps to change my life to be obedient to God's desires I will be guilty of trying to become justified by works".

What do you tell him?
I'm with musterion on this one. And what Scripture passages, specifically, would be pertinent, do you think?

P.S.
I was going to give you my answer until I read musterion's post.

Before they answer, I'm curious what YOU would tell him.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Here's what I would tell him: Jesus laid down his life for us and he asks us to lay down our life for him.

It's simple and I like to keep it simple.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by john w

How much obedience? 76%? 76.87%? 77%? 98%? 99%? 99.999999999999999999999999%?

Specifics.....Eternal destinies are at stake.

A Muslim, atheist can exhibit obedience. And?

Unpack it for us, simpletonian. Do be a dear. Set us MAD wacko's straight, so that we can be as clean a dirty rat, as you.

Pretty simple actually. Obey all you know, and if you fail, ask God for forgiveness, get up, and go again.

If you get satisfied with sin in your life, and don't repent if it, you'll not be saved.

If you do your best, and repent when you see you've done wrong, the righteousness of Jesus will continue to cover you. When God looks at you he'll see Jesus.

No, I'm not nearly perfect, and neither is anyone else. Paul said, in Philippians 3:15,16 that perfection, in God's eyes, is striving every day for the likeness of Jesus. Being comfortable short of that would be like Abraham coming out of his native land a few miles and setting up camp to stay. As long as he kept following God, God imputed faith for righteousness. If, at any time he would have said "this is as far as I go", God would have found a different "father of many nations".

The thing is, you know this is true. Everyone on this forum knows it's true.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Wow, it's refreshing to hear the biblical truth for a change SM77, thanks!

When I run up against guys like john w who ask questions like the above, I counter with:

"How disobedient can you be to God's Word and still call yourself a follower of Christ:

76%? 76.87%? 77%? 98%? 99%? 99.999999999999999999999999%?"

Faith without works is dead.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Quote Originally Posted by john w

How much obedience? 76%? 76.87%? 77%? 98%? 99%? 99.999999999999999999999999%?

Specifics.....Eternal destinies are at stake.

A Muslim, atheist can exhibit obedience. And?

Unpack it for us, simpletonian. Do be a dear. Set us MAD wacko's straight, so that we can be as clean a dirty rat, as you.

Wow, it's refreshing to hear the biblical truth for a change SM77, thanks!

When I run up against guys like john w who ask questions like the above, I counter with:

"How disobedient can you be to God's Word and still call yourself a follower of Christ:

Faith without works is dead.
Your Bible knowledge is sorely lacking, you should stick to child rapists, pederasts, molesters and trans gender topics -

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Your Bible knowledge is sorely lacking, you should stick to child rapists, pederasts, molesters and trans gender topics -

Every once in a while I need to get away from talking about the things that Donald Trump defends and often times does.

Since you're so knowledgeable about Holy Scripture (we'll skip your post about Jesus, loving homosexual relationships and charitable deeds), perhaps you could answer the above question:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Every once in a while I need to get away from talking about the things that Donald Trump defends and often times does.

Since you're so knowledgeable about Holy Scripture (we'll skip your post about Jesus, loving homosexual relationships and charitable deeds), perhaps you could answer the above question:

100% - nobody is obedient

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

100% - nobody is obedient

So in the Eyes of God the man who loves his wife and is faithful to her is equal to the man who cheats on her and beats her?

I have at least 100 more scenarios if you would like me to present them, but please, answer that question first.

SimpleMan77

I'm with musterion on this one. And what Scripture passages, specifically, would be pertinent, do you think?

P.S.
I was going to give you my answer until I read musterion's post.
[MENTION=2492]Lighthouse[/MENTION] [MENTION=15685]musterion[/MENTION]
That's not the way it works. Each of those I posed the question to have made posts on here that beg this question, so I'd rather hear their responses.

Asking me to answer first is an attempt to avoid having to articulate a position. It's a lot easier to see someone else's position, and then either pat them on the back or counterattack it, then it is to state your own opinion.

So what is the answer?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

So in the Eyes of God the man who loves his wife and is faithful to her is equal to the man who cheats on her and beats her?

I have at least 100 more scenarios if you would like me to present them, but please, answer that question first.
Colossians 1:22 KJV -

SimpleMan77

Somebody who is ignorant of obvious "wrongs", most likely is a "Sociopath" and should be told to see a Therapist. The majority of humanity already knows that stealing is wrong. That's not a very good question. Why are you asking such an obvious question/answer scenario? What's your ultimate goal in doing so?

Also [MENTION=3698]Tambora[/MENTION]
I agree that the hypothetical may have been lacking in the example I used.

I think post # 180 frames what I am trying to ask much better.

Please answer the questions in that post.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
@Lighthouse @musterion
That's not the way it works. Each of those I posed the question to have made posts on here that beg this question, so I'd rather hear their responses.

Asking me to answer first is an attempt to avoid having to articulate a position. It's a lot easier to see someone else's position, and then either pat them on the back or counterattack it, then it is to state your own opinion.

So what is the answer?
Are you gonna cry?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Colossians 1:22 KJV -

Read more:

5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
[MENTION=3698]Tambora[/MENTION] [MENTION=7053]SaulToPaul[/MENTION] [MENTION=2492]Lighthouse[/MENTION] [MENTION=2589]Clete[/MENTION] [MENTION=6992]heir[/MENTION]

What do you tell him?

Id tell him to stop having sex with her unless he marries her.

James 4:17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Its not being guilty of works to be conformed to the image of Christ unless you believe your merits save you, instead of His sacrifice.

Would i be guilty of trying to earn my husbands love, because i do things he would like from me just because i love him and that flows naturally out of love?

SimpleMan77

Id tell him to stop having sex with her unless he marries her.

James 4:17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Its not being guilty of works to be conformed to the image of Christ unless you believe your merits save you, instead of His sacrifice.

Would i be guilty of trying to earn my husbands love, because i do things he would like from me just because i love him and that flows naturally out of love?

Thanks for clearly stating your thoughts and taking a position.

I'm not sure why some seem to be reluctant to do that.

Zeke

For one if you get legally married through the state you are a special kind of ignorant, of coarse you all have state ID so you would bow the knee to the govern-mentalist thinking its a spiritual marriage that is sanctioned by this out outward deity that is keeping score.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
For one if you get legally married through the state you are a special kind of ignorant, of coarse you all have state ID so you would bow the knee to the govern-mentalist thinking its a spiritual marriage that is sanctioned by this out outward deity that is keeping score.

As opposed to shacking up and saying "But we're married in our hearts!".

Then the going gets rough and daddy takes off leaving mommy and the children with broken hearts to fend for themselves.

Marriage is sanctioned by the state because that's it's biblical role: To strengthen the family unit and do good as seen through the Eyes of God.

Zeke

As opposed to shacking up and saying "But we're married in our hearts!".

Then the going gets rough and daddy takes off leaving mommy and the children with broken hearts to fend for themselves.

Marriage is sanctioned by the state because that's it's biblical role: To strengthen the family unit and do good as seen through the Eyes of God.

Like I said a special kind.