Is M.A.D. a dangerous heresy? It demands much scripture to be ignored

SimpleMan77

"Like"?

Okay, then. How does one get counted worthy of eternal life when salvation is by GRACE through faith in what Christ did, not in what we do?

Meaning both start in this life. We get the initial, "earnest amount" of each here, and the fullness in the life to come.

Technically both terms describe the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Neither (Paul nor James) contradicts the other if you look at it closely.

Paul taught that we are justified by grace without works of the law or works of righteousness, but by faith.

However, at the very same time, he said that people who live unrighteously, doing works of sin, will not inherit the kingdom of God, but rather will receive the vengeance of flaming fire.
No, he said those who live in sin, e.g. in the flesh and not in the Spirit, would not inherit the kingdom.

Paul also said that the kind of faith that justifies and saves us is a "faith which WORKETH by love", which is the most important attribute to have (love).
Whose faith? Do you think our own faith saves us? If so you're a heretic.

That is exactly what James was saying in the 2nd chapter of his epistle. Read it for yourself - the whole subject, starting in James 2:1, was on not treating poor people with less respect than rich people, and he made his point that a faith which didn't "work by love" was really dead, useless faith.

Throughout Paul's epistles he is in full agreement.
"Justified by works and not faith only" vs. "Justified by faith and not by works."

Which is it?

Last edited:

SimpleMan77

"Like"?

Okay, then. How does one get counted worthy of eternal life when salvation is by GRACE through faith in what Christ did, not in what we do?

Paul said it was by grace, through a faith "which worketh by love".

A living faith that produces the fruit of the Spirit, and a rejection of the works of the flesh.

You cannot take a list of all the "works of the flesh" and the "fruit of the Spirit", and say "if I stay away from these, and do these, I'll earn my way to heaven". Indeed you cannot even hate the one and love the other without grace consuming your life.

However, grace enables and teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts...

...and to live soberly righteously and godly in this present world, looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing...

musterion

Paul said it was by grace, through a faith "which worketh by love".

A living faith that produces the fruit of the Spirit, and a rejection of the works of the flesh.

You cannot take a list of all the "works of the flesh" and the "fruit of the Spirit", and say "if I stay away from these, and do these, I'll earn my way to heaven". Indeed you cannot even hate the one and love the other without grace consuming your life.

However, grace enables and teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts...

...and to live soberly righteously and godly in this present world, looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing...

How does one get counted worthy of a gift that cannot be earned?

SimpleMan77

Is M.A.D. a dangerous heresy? It demands much scripture to be ignored

How does one get counted worthy of a gift that cannot be earned?

If a person obeyed every one of Paul's, Peter's and Jesus's teachings on how to live like the Spirit wants, and totally opposite of the the Works of the Flesh you'd never, never deserve His grace.

However, if you purposely choose to live in a way that the Bible says that God hates...

It defies all truth AND reason to say that the grace of God will save you and take you to an eternal place where there is nothing but truth and love if you hate truth and love in this life.

God is not in the business of forcibly abducting people

SimpleMan77

No, he said those who live in sin, e.g. in the flesh and not in the Spirit, would not inherit the kingdom.

Whose faith? Do you think our own faint saves us? If so you're a heretic.

"Justified by works and not faith only" vs. "Justified by faith and not by works."

Which is it?

You have to look at the whole context of Paul's writings.

PAUL was the one that said that a justifying faith is a "faith which WORKETH BY LOVE". Did Paul change his mind midstream, or maybe are you not understanding faith in the way Paul did.

Obviously Paul believed that faith had to be alive and active or it wasn't really faith at all.

musterion

If a person obeyed every one of Paul's, Peter's and Jesus's teachings on how to live like the Spirit wants, and totally opposite of the the Works of the Flesh you'd never, never deserve His grace.

However, if you purposely choose to live in a way that the Bible says that God hates...

It defies all truth AND reason to say that the grace of God will save you and take you to an eternal place where there is nothing but truth and love if you hate truth and love in this life.

God is not in the business of forcibly abducting people

One more time.

If one must be counted worthy of the Kingdom of God, and if the Kingdom = eternal life, and since eternal life is a gift, how does one earn/be counted worthy (same thing) of the gift?

SimpleMan77

Whose faith? Do you think our own faint saves us? If so you're a heretic.

Which is it?

And if you think everyone is going to be saved because Jesus had faith in humanity you'd be 100% wrong.

However, if we exercise the faith he gave us, and reach to take the grace He offers, we'll be saved.

If I'm free-falling toward hell, and Jesus steps out on the ledge and says "you're headed for hell, but if you'll take my hand I'll pull you from the fire", I am not "earning my salvation". I cannot say I saved myself - not in a million years.

However, if I slap his hand and never take it...

Or, if I take it for 10 seconds, and then decide I want to slap it away...

God is not going to take me to heaven if I decide I hate everything he's about.

SimpleMan77

One more time.

If one must be counted worthy of the Kingdom of God, and if the Kingdom = eternal life, and since eternal life is a gift, how does one earn/be counted worthy (same thing) of the gift?

You'll never earn it. Ever.

However, if you choose to, you can walk away from it.

If you decide you love sin more than God, he will not forcibly take you to heaven against your will.

SimpleMan77

Then the Kingdom, of which one is counted either worthy or unworthy, in fact does not equal eternal life, which is a gift that is either received or rejected but can be neither earned nor "worthied."

Stop presuming to teach others that which you have not understood.

How can you "reject" it? Can you reject it with your actions?

Deliberate actions always follow your heart generally (not speaking of mistakes, I'm talking about actions you choose to do because of decisions your mind/heart makes).

SimpleMan77

You don't think in a straight line. Can't stay on point. Talking in circles. Stringing random words and vague unrelated concepts together. Your posts are a waste of time, simpleton77.

I guess you are willing to engage on a rational level until your argument falls apart, then you revert back to your security zone - name calling and baseless accusations.

Ok.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You have to look at the whole context of Paul's writings.

PAUL was the one that said that a justifying faith is a "faith which WORKETH BY LOVE". Did Paul change his mind midstream, or maybe are you not understanding faith in the way Paul did.

Obviously Paul believed that faith had to be alive and active or it wasn't really faith at all.
What passage of Scripture?

And if you think everyone is going to be saved because Jesus had faith in humanity you'd be 100% wrong.
Faith in humanity? Put down the bong. I never even implied such a thing. And I certainly never implied universal salvation.

However, if we exercise the faith he gave us, and reach to take the grace He offers, we'll be saved.
Your faith never wavers or wanes? Ever?

If I'm free-falling toward hell, and Jesus steps out on the ledge and says "you're headed for hell, but if you'll take my hand I'll pull you from the fire", I am not "earning my salvation". I cannot say I saved myself - not in a million years.

However, if I slap his hand and never take it...

Or, if I take it for 10 seconds, and then decide I want to slap it away...

God is not going to take me to heaven if I decide I hate everything he's about.
If you reject it after having accepted it you're a bigger idiot than I thought.

And if you think Jesus would ever let you go, you're completely ignorant of the gospel of the grace of God.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You'll never earn it. Ever.

However, if you choose to, you can walk away from it.

If you decide you love sin more than God, he will not forcibly take you to heaven against your will.

You can snatch yourself from His hand? You can repurchase yourself? You can break His seal of ownership? You are more powerful than He is?

musterion

You can snatch yourself from His hand? You can repurchase yourself? You can break His seal of ownership? You are more powerful than He is?

They never admit it in so many words but those who say the Seal can be broken OF NECESSITY believe man's will (of the believer, no less!) can overpower God's. It puts you on probation and makes you your own probation officer. What greater power rush can their be than that?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
They never admit it in so many words but those who say the Seal can be broken OF NECESSITY believe man's will (of the believer, no less!) can overpower God's. It puts you on probation and makes you your own probation officer.

I dont understand how its missed for one who understands their actions had nothing to with salvation, can then believe their actions can cause it to no longer be in effect.

musterion

I dont understand how its missed for one who understands their actions had nothing to with salvation, can then believe their actions can cause it to no longer be in effect.

If someone believes something that contradicts itself, there's a few options.

a) They know there's a contradiction but don't care b/c they don't actually believe any of it. They're just a troll.
b) They may or may not realize there's a contradiction but are under threat of damnation for questioning whatever they've believed, so they shut it out.
c) They come to realize there's a contradiction and start to think it through.

He's either a or b. I find (a) more likely.