Is calling Beanieboy a . . .

Is calling Beanieboy a . . .

• Total voters

On Fire

Lighthouse said:
It's not the existence of the thread that bothers me. It's the fact that it has served its purpose, and is no longer being used for that purpose, yet people continue to post on it.
Unlike you, topics evolve.
I would, however, like to know if OF thinks it's Christ-like to call atheists "sock puppets."
The term is "satan's sock puppets".

Caledvwlch

beanieboy said:
What does "sock puppet" mean, and why is it used to refer to atheists?
I think it means that we can't think for ourselves, and that everything we say is a rehash of someone else's dogma.

Caille

beanieboy said:
What is it's purpose?

I'm really starting to wonder about him. The other day he called me a "meat puppet" (I don't know what that means) and today he called me "twinkletoes". Now he wants permission to call atheists "sock puppets". :kookoo: :kookoo:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
beanieboy-
To see if people thought it was Christ-like.

Callie-
I called you meat puppet today. Twinkletoes was yesterday. They are both basically calling you a homo. And, for the record, I don't tend to call atheists, "Satan's sock puppets." On Fire is the one who refers to them as such. And yet he doesn't think "faggot" is a Christ-like thing to say. I want to know why the discretion.

Caille

Lighthouse said:
beanieboy-

Callie-
I called you meat puppet today. Twinkletoes was yesterday. They are both basically calling you a homo. And, for the record, I don't tend to call atheists, "Satan's sock puppets." On Fire is the one who refers to them as such. And yet he doesn't think "faggot" is a Christ-like thing to say. I want to know why the discretion.

You're a weird dude, Brandon.

On Fire

Lighthouse said:
beanieboy-

Callie-
Brandon,

I have been known to use the term "satan's sock puppet". I believe it accurately describes atheists. It is not, however, Christ-like and I no longer use the term.

Might I suggest: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20307

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
You sacked 'satan's sock puppet'? :shocked:

I liked that one....especially when you used it on Gerald. :chuckle:

leftnut

personally i've never understood why homosexuality is looked on so much more disapprovingly than other sins. i dont think that its any worse than heterosexual christians do in everyday life, because we all sin. every one of us. what about christians who receive free cable or satellite programming on their tv? what about christians who are lustful? or get drunk at the company golf tournament? what makes them any better.

so, no i dont believe that name calling or demoralizing "homos" is right. if it is, then every supposed "clean" christian should be made to feel ashamed for their sins.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
leftnut said:
personally i've never understood why homosexuality is looked on so much more disapprovingly than other sins. i dont think that its any worse than heterosexual christians do in everyday life, because we all sin. every one of us. what about christians who receive free cable or satellite programming on their tv? what about christians who are lustful? or get drunk at the company golf tournament? what makes them any better.
In reality, they aren't better, in that they have room to judge as if they do nothing wrong. However, stealing is different than homosexuality. Just like there's a difference between telling a lie and murdering.

But God did call homosexuality an abomination. And Paul wrote that sexual sins are worse, because they are sins against the body. And he also wrote that homosexuality is vile.

And the biggest problem with homosexuality today? The pride, and acceptance. They are so proud of themselves they have parades to celebrate it. Society accepts it. Therefore, Christians should speak out against it, even more forcefully.

so, no i dont believe that name calling or demoralizing "homos" is right. if it is, then every supposed "clean" christian should be made to feel ashamed for their sins.
Not just Christians, but all people should be ashamed of their sins, and hate their sins. God hates sin. If we are His, then so shoud we.

And demoralizing homos is merely one aspect of the entire spectrum. All sin should be looked upon as what it is. And when society does that, such as they do with child molestation, then Christians don't need to be as vocal on that issue. But society doesn't do that with homosexuality.:nono: They accept it. They applaud it. That is wrong. That is sin. And as a Christian, I hate sin.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I CANNOT believe that 35% of the people who voted said that calling him a faggot is a Christ-like thing to do. If you believe that is a Christ-like thing to do you better take a look at Jesus again, read the gospels again.

A Christian attitude toward homoism should be focused in three areas...
1. Christians should press for the recriminalization of homos; they should be executed upon conviction.
2. There should be a very staunch social stigma attached to being a homo.
3. Homos should repent of their preversion.
Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery to Jesus, what did he do? He said let him wtih no sin cast the first stone. Then, when all the accusers left, what did he do? He said go and sin no more. It seems that the approah I put in quotes is a bit different from Jesus' approach.

Aimiel
I don't think we ought to call people who act queerly names, but I also don't think that we need to acquiesce to politically 'correct' names or catch-phrases. Pro-choice is another name for murder. Calling a queer a gay or a homosexual is winking at their sin. We don't need to do that, any more than we need to call stealing, "extreme discounting." Those who sin, no matter what the sin is, have consequences for that sin, and, except they repent, will be judged for it. Too many Christians look for ways to 'fit in' with the world, and have their morals compromised, whether or not they realize it.
I also hate political correctness but the reason why I have a problem with calling homosexuals faggots has nothing to do with political correctness. The term faggot is a demeaning and derogatory term that has no benefit whatsoever.

People in this thread talk as if the sin of homosexuality is any worse than the rest. It's not. It is a sin just like the ones we all deal with.

wholearmor,
Calling them gay is an insult to all truly happy people, wouldn't you agree? (Actually, I prefer calling faggots disgusting perverts.) How gay are they going to be in Hell?
Do you care at all if they even end up in hell? If you did I would think you'd care more about reaching out in love while at the same time not accepting the sin. Instead you just demean them and as a result they will be pushed farther and farther away from coming to Christ.

Dread Helm,
Is it wrong to insult the wicked?
Yes it is wrong. Do two wrongs make a right? No.

wholearmor,
He came for faggots and straights alike.
Mark 2:17...."When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." NOT to call the righteous, but the sinners

Clete said....
Homos reproduce by molesting children.

Aimiel,
How can you laugh at that?? You think the molestation of children and the horrible effects it has on them is funny?

Agape4Robin,
I consider the term faggot to be demeaning and derogatory.
How can we as christians hope to reach someone when we resort to name calling?
Not only that, but it's completely juvenile!
IMHO it has no place in the christian vocabulary.
THANK YOU!!!!!!! This is about the 2nd Christ-like response I've seen.

Freak,
Beanieboy, God's love for you is incredible. My wife and I love you too. We have seen homosexuals change by the power of Jesus Christ. He's wanting you to repent before entering a fiery eternal hell. Will you repent?
THANK YOU. I agree fully. No sin is too strong for Christ's love and power to break through.

I don't have time to continue going through this thread but I sure hope it didn't continue in the way it began.

Beanieboy,
I apologize for how the so-called Christians posted in this thread. Jesus Christ loves you so much and therefore so do I. I would love to see you come to know God. I have a friend in college who is a homosexual and I pray for him all the time. I pray that he would let his defenses down and give God a chance to break through and free him from his sin. Everyone struggles with some sin, homosexuality is no different. "you can do all things through Christ that strenghens you". I will pray the same for you. Through talking to my college friend I can understand that you feel that you didn't choose your sexual preference. Who would choose that?? I don't know anyone who would. It is just a stronghold that seems impossible to break, and seems that you ARE gay. I believe that you are not gay but struggle with the sin of homosexuality. I know from reading much of this discussion you probably want nothing with Christianity, but I just want to ask you to look to Jesus and not the people who misrepresent him. The Jesus of the bible would never call you a faggot and neither do I.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
I CANNOT believe that 35% of the people who voted said that calling him a faggot is a Christ-like thing to do. If you believe that is a Christ-like thing to do you better take a look at Jesus again, read the gospels again.

Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery to Jesus, what did he do? He said let him wtih no sin cast the first stone. Then, when all the accusers left, what did he do? He said go and sin no more. It seems that the approah I put in quotes is a bit different from Jesus' approach.
It seems you have misread what happened. Go back and read the law on adultery. The men who brought the woman were breaking the law. And look at the context. Jesus was not in authority to make the judgment on her death. And the Romans were not allowing the Jews to exercise their laws in this regard.

Also, Jesus called people names. Offensive names.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Also, Jesus called people names. Offensive names
Mainstream scholars believe that, based on the key differences among and between the gospels, not everything the evangelists wrote concerning Jesus was historical or biographical.

The earliest gospels have been dated somewhere between 50 and 100 years after the crucifixion.

Careful study shows that each early community lived in a particular historical context and had an agenda which was reflected in the Jesus they portrayed. Then--as now--the Jesus they each wrote about addressed particular issues related to that community's historical problems.

The gospel writers were people. They were not divine robotic agents of God channeling absolute truth. They struggled just as we do. And when a community had trouble with sectarian enemies, they placed a verbal condemnation of those enemies in Jesus' mouth. They--like us--wanted Jesus "on their side" to santion their own behavior and point out to other rival groups how Jesus disapproved of their, the other rivals, behavior.

Think about it. This is normal. This is human. And it sometimes falls short of the glory of God.

Today, many Chrstians have trouble with sexual issues and, in particular, homosexuality.

Why is it so much of a surprise that they would naturally hijack Jesus in the service of their all-too-human fears and prejudices?

beanieboy

kmoney said:
Beanieboy,
I apologize for how the so-called Christians posted in this thread. Jesus Christ loves you so much and therefore so do I. I would love to see you come to know God. I have a friend in college who is a homosexual and I pray for him all the time. I pray that he would let his defenses down and give God a chance to break through and free him from his sin. Everyone struggles with some sin, homosexuality is no different. "you can do all things through Christ that strenghens you". I will pray the same for you. Through talking to my college friend I can understand that you feel that you didn't choose your sexual preference. Who would choose that?? I don't know anyone who would. It is just a stronghold that seems impossible to break, and seems that you ARE gay. I believe that you are not gay but struggle with the sin of homosexuality. I know from reading much of this discussion you probably want nothing with Christianity, but I just want to ask you to look to Jesus and not the people who misrepresent him. The Jesus of the bible would never call you a faggot and neither do I.

Hi, kmoney.
Don't worry. I have a thick skin. Sinners use the word faggot as well, so when the saved do, I see them as basically the same group of people. People like to criticize, cut each other down, curse one another. It's human nature. The "tough love" that Jesus calls for is to return evil with goodness, to bless those who curse you. Many posters will justify that Jesus called people names, so they can do, nyah!! But that is a spiritually immature attitude. As a buddhist, I am to feel compassion for all, even my enemies, and so, I try to show as much self restraint and patience towards others as I can.

You will probably be attacked on a thread in the future. Prepare yourself for it. There is a group mentality that you have to resist, and when you do, you get attacked, but for the most part, it is more bark than bite.

Lastly, thank you for your concern about me being homosexual, but I have struggled with this since my mid teens, and laid awake for hours, staring at the ceiling, wondering why I was feeling this way. I turned to the bible, I went to counceling, I faced suicide on a number of occassions. And I made it through.

But if you really care, go to a place like www.whosoever.org, and read up on the whole site. It speaks of all of the verses in the bible and research done on them (who was speaking, the translation, who was being spoken to, etc.) I found that the bible wasn't saying what people said it was. (Don't you think it odd that people only use 2 verses of Leviticus, and dismiss the rest?) The site gives accounts of people and their conflicts with being gay and seeking God. (Yes, that's right - gay and christian! Being "gay" doesn't mean you are sexually active. It is how you are attracted.) It gives very uplifting sermons.

In short, it offers hope instead of doom, encouragement instead of threat.
And shouldn't the Good News be, well, Good?

May God bless you and your friend. My apologies to you for some of the things you are about to witness here on TOL, but take comfort in God, and listen, and learn from the mistakes of others.

Namaste

beanieboy

Lighthouse said:
It seems you have misread what happened. Go back and read the law on adultery. The men who brought the woman were breaking the law. And look at the context. Jesus was not in authority to make the judgment on her death. And the Romans were not allowing the Jews to exercise their laws in this regard.

What name did he call the woman caught in adultery?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:

You are correct, I didn't take into accout that Jesus didn't have the authority to setence her. But let's say the woman was brought to the law in a proper manner, do you think Jesus would have supported her death? Would Jesus have supported it if the proper authorities had sentenced her to death? or if the Romans did allow the Jews to exercise their laws? I still say he wouldn't have though it's impossible to know for sure.

You say Jesus called people names. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think He only did so to the Pharisees. That was an isolated group of people. AND, I would say that Jesus' heart in that is different from people who use the term faggot. Jesus didn't resort to name-calling right away. There were many occasions that Jesus didn't call the Pharisees names. But they were constantly trying to trap him and arrest him. They were prideful and legalistic and feared Jesus because of the impact he was having. They were denying the son of God.

The only other instance where you could maybe say Jesus name-called was when he said the disciples were faithless again he wasn't just demeaning them.

On Fire

kmoney said:
You say Jesus called people names. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think He only did so to the Pharisees. That was an isolated group of people. AND, I would say that Jesus' heart in that is different from people who use the term faggot. Jesus didn't resort to name-calling right away. There were many occasions that Jesus didn't call the Pharisees names. But they were constantly trying to trap him and arrest him. They were prideful and legalistic and feared Jesus because of the impact he was having. They were denying the son of God.

The only other instance where you could maybe say Jesus name-called was when he said the disciples were faithless again he wasn't just demeaning them.

:BRAVO: