I lost my faith a while back

Spectrox War

Here is a question for you. Does a possible creator to a creator matter anymore than it matters who Da Vinci's mother was? Leonardo was directly responsible for his work.

It depends whether God is an omni-being or not. For me it's all or nothing. Either God exists and created the universe and is responsible for everything that happens in it or the universe has always existed and a God is not necessary.

PureX

It depends whether God is an omni-being or not. For me it's all or nothing. Either God exists and created the universe and is responsible for everything that happens in it or the universe has always existed and a God is not necessary.
Why are you choosing to impose this sort of extremist criteria on the question? It's like saying that a coin "must be either heads, or tails", when clearly, coins are both 'heads' and 'tails'.

Dr.Watson

Rather, the selectivity of your attention is what's important in this. What I've noted is the fundamental reliance of everyone on faith.

Sure, and in doing so, underscored your own religious agnosticism. However, all faith isn't equal, and you failed to provide this important detail.

Only those with your investment, certainly. To most of mankind throughout its history, including the lion's share of its best and brightest, you have that completely backwards.

A little selective are we? The "lions share" of these "best and brightest" that you allude to, died in the 16th and 17th century long before discoveries like the germ theory of disease or the theory of evolution. Not to discredit them, as they certainly were brilliant, however, you appear to be making the vapid assumption that modern science or scientists aren't as brilliant as the giants of the 16th and 17th century. If you looked at the statistics, including the hundreds of thousands of bright scientific minds to date, the majority, by landslide, are non-religious. So not only are you wrong on this point, you are embarrassingly so.

Sure they do. A great many assertions of objective fact can be demonstrated to be the case. You've already indicated that even love is measurable in terms of its biological component. Rather, you can't produce meaningful criteria so you try to wrap this preponderance of evidence substitute in the robes of respectability, but I've already addressed the deficiency. If no single instance can be assigned objectively to God then no collective inference is any more rationally appealing.

No, you have not addressed it satisfactorily because you have yet to demonstrate that you understand how, exactly, things are objectively "known/discovered" by science. Examining any one given experiment or data set alone without consideration of all else may provide justification for incredulity, but, we don't examine evidence in box. If enough evidence existed, or could be mustered, which strongly corroborated your stories and beliefs, and those described in the bible, I still would agree that you don't have proof. But, you'd have strong objective foundation for your belief in God. Something you don't have right now.

Right now you have objectively nothing. Your credulity on ancient stories (and how they make you feel inside) written by those who had a lower level of education than a modern kindergarten class - who believed that sickness was caused by demons/evil spirits - is an incredibly poor foundation to rest such a monumental claim (let alone hold it to be superior, rationally, to withholding such a belief).

Rather, this world is a remarkably interesting place. It simply isn't the only place.

Agreed. We don't know just how many earth like (life sustaining) planets are in our own galaxy let alone within our universe. Contemplating heaven in comparison to the potential discoveries within a universe we can objectively say exists is far more interesting than hearing about rivers of gold/chocolate and 72 virgins nonsense from half literate sheep-herders.

You've become, instead, a poster child for those among the faithful who label the atheist a jealous and angry usurper driven to justify malice as something rational and superior.

Disappointing. :e4e:

Only those who are unable to read or think rationally would believe that an expression of reason and concern is an attempt to justify malice as superior.

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sure, and in doing so, underscored your own religious agnosticism. However, all faith isn't equal, and you failed to provide this important detail.
In order: no, in what respect and says you. :D

A little selective are we?
No. Most of mankind has believed in God throughout its history. Still does. You had it backwards.

The "lions share" of these "best and brightest" that you allude to, died in the 16th and 17th century long before discoveries like the germ theory of disease or the theory of evolution.
Actually, no. Atheism and science have only been close cousins in fairly recent times. You missed a few centuries there and even that phenomena is more culturally than objectively driven. That is, Newton didn't believe in God because he needed that belief to explain the weather and science needn't drive anyone from religious faith.

Not to discredit them, as they certainly were brilliant, however, you appear to be making the vapid assumption that modern science or scientists aren't as brilliant as the giants of the 16th and 17th century.
There's not much in this that has any objective legs. Your periods are stlll wrong and narrowed for no discernible reason. Your characterization remains condescendingly consistent, if without a whit of sustainable reason to justify it...and even were you right in every particular, which you aren't, I wouldn't need to do anything of the sort to have made my assertion that the lion's share of mankind, including it's best and brightest shared a common understanding/faith in the existence of God.

If you looked at the statistics, including the hundreds of thousands of bright scientific minds to date, the majority, by landslide, are non-religious. So not only are you wrong on this point, you are embarrassingly so.
I would be had I suggested that the greater part of our current crop of scientists, etc. But I didn't. I recognize the more recent trend as you must the existence within that trend of noteworthy and celebrated intellectual exception.

No, you have not addressed it satisfactorily because you have yet to demonstrate that you understand how, exactly, things are objectively "known/discovered" by science.
You're pretension and ongoing condescension aside and to answer with equal objective weight: horsefeathers.

Examining any one given experiment or data set alone without consideration of all else may provide justification for incredulity, but, we don't examine evidence in box.
I haven't suggested other. I have suggested that bad data in the particular will never, collectively, give you more than a mass of that same thing on the whole.

If enough evidence existed, or could be mustered, which strongly corroborated your stories and beliefs, and those described in the bible, I still would agree that you don't have proof.
:chuckle: Thank you for agreeing that the matter has no objective means for settling.

But, you'd have strong objective foundation for your belief in God. Something you don't have right now.
In fact, you've already agreed with me that we rely first on our experience, on the validity of that experience and that this experience has at its heart, faith. My experience of God, the only means of approaching a problem that presents itself, is a strong foundation for my belief. You, not having that experience, naturally come to a differing foundation in belief.

Right now you have objectively nothing.
Right now, as to the existence of God and the foundation of being, neither of us have an objective anything, there not being an objective means to address the point, which was my opening criticism of Apologetics and the empty sleeve of a challenge the anti theist frequently makes. Else, supra.

Your credulity on ancient stories (and how they make you feel inside) written by those who had a lower level of education than a modern kindergarten class
I'm a lawyer. I was a rationalist athesit for nearly three decades. Don't presume to tell me I'm credulous. And I doubt Paul would feel confounded by that gathering of children.

But it's telling that, like Dawkins, you don't appear to know much about the thing you''re criticizing. The Bible has within it tales of men celebrated for their wisdom and discernment. And my faith, your declaration notwithstanding, isn't based on a feeling any more than your faith is apparently wanting an emotional core, one illustrated by your near pathalogical need to sneer at it and the faithful at every available opportunity.

Case in point:
...Contemplating heaven in comparison to the potential discoveries within a universe we can objectively say exists is far more interesting than hearing about rivers of gold/chocolate and 72 virgins nonsense from half literate sheep-herders.
Your cultural bias is noted, as is the insecurity that requires you to continue to repeat the tired insults of Dawkins and company at every possible turn. Truth is truth, no matter the modesty of its origin.

Only those who are unable to read or think rationally would believe that an expression of reason and concern is an attempt to justify malice as superior.
Rather, it was a taste of your own medicine and I'm happy that you didn't care for it in the last or, presumably, this... Let's leave that dish off the menu then altogether then, shall we?

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL :)

These days I need good evidence before I believe any claim.

Im sorry you never experienced a relationship with God.

Maybe? It depends what the nature of the faith is though? And the validity of that faith can only IMO be determined by evidence and reasoned argument. Otherwise, to me, it's just random and meaningless.

I agree, Im so sorry that you apparantly lacked biblical faith. The first and foremost meaning of the word faith is complete trust and unless you were able to do that, you never experienced salvation im sorry to say.

I came by my faith emotionally - and the words of the Bible and Christians around me resonated with me at that time.

I see, then you were placing your faith in other believers instead of in God.

Nothing wrong with emotions though, we are emotional beings.

Mind sharing what kind of 'christian' you believed yourself to be? What kind of church were you part of when you 'believed' if you dont mind sharing?

Spectrox War

Welcome to TOL :)

Im sorry you never experienced a relationship with God.

God would have to exist for me to experience a relationship with him/her. I used to believe I had a relationship with Jesus and the Biblical God but now I don't believe.

I agree, Im so sorry that you apparantly lacked biblical faith. The first and foremost meaning of the word faith is complete trust and unless you were able to do that, you never experienced salvation im sorry to say.

You can say nothing about the quality of my beliefs, only that they were temporary. Any other opinion you express is just so that my experience fits into your Christian presuppositions.

I see, then you were placing your faith in other believers instead of in God.

I put my faith in the Bible. Some Christians helped, others did not.

Nothing wrong with emotions though, we are emotional beings.

The God of the Bible certainly is - anger, rage, jeaulousy. Occasionally the possessive love of a stalker or terrible parent.

Mind sharing what kind of 'christian' you believed yourself to be? What kind of church were you part of when you 'believed' if you dont mind sharing?

So that you can put a label on me and compartmentalise and try to invalidate my experience? Don't think so. You can read what you want to about my experience throughout this thread. I'm not repeating myself unnecessarily. I'll leave that kind of thing to the gospels.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...You can say nothing about the quality of my beliefs, only that they were temporary.
Untrue. You've told us a great deal. Your trust was more a matter of hopeful probability, withdrawn at will, for one. Certainly God couldn't have failed you if He didn't exist and wouldn't within the Christian context you chose to embrace to the degree that you did. We know that doubt is a process of will and not an external intrusion or a virus. So we can say with dead certainty that your approach to God was conditional. We also know that you believed yourself to be in relation and then not. So your judgment of your own experience is problematic and unreliable.

Any other opinion you express is just so that my experience fits into your Christian presuppositions.
Also untrue. Any number of opinions about you, supra, are completely rational and could be held by anyone of any faith or absent it in the way we mean here.

I put my faith in the Bible. Some Christians helped, others did not.
You put a measure of faith in the Bible. You reserved the principle for yourself. It's the only way you could later find yourself in a position to judge God and find Him wanting.

So that you can put a label on me and compartmentalise and try to invalidate my experience?
Your narrative does that.

You can read what you want to about my experience throughout this thread. I'm not repeating myself unnecessarily. I'll leave that kind of thing to the gospels.
So what really happened to you? Your one sided negativity in relation to the Christian walk doesn't speak to an objective schism. How did you believe God failed you? What began this bitterness?

Last edited:

Dr.Watson

In order: no, in what respect and says you. :D

Well, because we cannot be empirically certain about anything, ever, yes, we have "faith" with regards to our knowledge. However, faith is not all equal in the sense that there is greater foundation to believe some things are true, or reserve judgement, over others.

No. Most of mankind has believed in God throughout its history. Still does. You had it backwards.

So are you back-peddling from "the lionshare of mans best and brightest has believed in a god" to "most of mankind has believed in God throughout history"? Both of these statements have very different meanings and implications. In one you seem to suggest that the brightest minds are/have been god-worshippers. In the other you seem to be just noting that believing in god has been traditionally popular.

I'll leave this alone and simply note the misleading inaccuracy of the first statement and popularity fallacy of the second.

Actually, no. Atheism and science have only been close cousins in fairly recent times.

If you consider the last 150 to 200 years "recent", sure.

You missed a few centuries there and even that phenomena is more culturally than objectively driven.

That's a bold assertion void of support.

That is, Newton didn't believe in God because he needed that belief to explain the weather and science needn't drive anyone from religious faith.

Science can and does, however, drive people away from particular religious memes. Such as religions attack on homosexuals. It's much harder to justify bullying homosexuals when science tells us that homosexuality isn't a disgusting learned behavior by immoral god-hating heathens, but a natural biological one determined genetically.

You're pretension and ongoing condescension aside and to answer with equal objective weight: horsefeathers.

I'm sorry that you find it condescending to challenge you on your beliefs simply because you hold them dearly.

I haven't suggested other. I have suggested that bad data in the particular will never, collectively, give you more than a mass of that same thing on the whole.

Well I'm not talking about bad data. I'm talking about, collectively, similar things described in the bible continuing on in this day in consistent manners. Like the healing sickness by laying of the hands etc... Why is it that you believe, wholesale, this stuff happened 2000 years ago, but become infuriatingly frustrated that someone suggests it should continue today, in a manner that can be corroborated and recorded, if it really did happen as described? If God can do these things (and he was recorded to do these things), and he is all-powerful and loving, why does he choose not to do them still?

You, not having that experience, naturally come to a differing foundation in belief.

But I did have that experience. I once believed, without doubt or hesitance, that I had a personal relationship with Jesus. I don't ascribe those feelings to God anymore now that I can think more pragmatically about them.

I'm a lawyer. I was a rationalist athesit for nearly three decades. Don't presume to tell me I'm credulous.

Oh C'mon, TH. Don't be so sensitive. You presume to tell others how they really think and feel (when it comes to apostasy) all the time. You're doing it now in this very thread.

Last edited:

Spectrox War

What the heck were you doing following such a God? :confused:

I was delusional for a couple of months. I desperately wanted to believe that my life had some ultimate purpose. I accepted the Bible and Jesus. I felt cleansed and saved. Then something happened. I processed all the information I had acquired. I listened to criticisms. I engaged my brain. Doubt "crept in" as I read the Bible more and more and the Bible successfully deconverted me because it started to make no sense morally, rationally and from a believability standpoint.

Town Heretic sees it as a wilful deconversion. Maybe he is right? Or maybe he has trained himself to think in that way? Who knows?

It's irrelevant really. What's important is whether or not Biblical claims are true and can be reliably verified. I've tried to do this. But I couldn't honestly do it.

Spectrox War

Untrue. You've told us a great deal. Your trust was more a matter of hopeful probability, withdrawn at will, for one. Certainly God couldn't have failed you if He didn't exist and wouldn't within the Christian context you chose to embrace to the degree that you did. We know that doubt is a process of will and not an external intrusion or a virus. So we can say with dead certainty that your approach to God was conditional. We also know that you believed yourself to be in relation and then not. So your judgment of your own experience is problematic and unreliable.

In other words, the settling of the question aside, we know you're subject to delusional thinking by your own admission.

Also untrue. Any number of opinions about you, supra, are completely rational and could be held by anyone of any faith or absent it in the way we mean here.

You put a measure of faith in the Bible. You reserved the principle for yourself. It's the only way you could later find yourself in a position to judge God and find Him wanting.

Your narrative does that.

So what really happened to you? Your one sided negativity in relation to the Christian walk doesn't speak to an objective schism. How did you believe God failed you? What began this bitterness?

I used to be very delusional. I admit that. I'm much less delusional now if at all. I agree that if God doesn't exist then 'he couldn't possibly fail me. I don't recall saying that "God failed me." Maybe I did? I thought I had said that the Bible had failed me. Maybe I'm wrong about that detail? The Bible certainly exists even if God doesn't.

My negativity? Yes I agree. I am negative about Christianity. I would even call myself an anti-Christian because I am aware of the harm that it can cause. And I get tired of Christians coming out with the same BS and pat answers and assumptions without a shred of evidence.

I had complete trust in the Bible and Jesus for a time, as far as was humanly possible for me. But sometimes people's trust is betrayed. In my case, nothing betrayed me. It was all a concept in my own head.

TH- can you respond to my previous post on page 11? You skipped it and I like completeness.

rexlunae

I think it was probably first stated by a child who recognised the nonsense that is infinite regress. Maybe the universe has always existed (prior to the Big Bang when something exploded)? It looks like it will continue forever (The Hubble Constant is probably greater than 50).

You might enjoy reading A Universe from Nothing by Lawrence Krauss. It discusses not only the models of how the Universe may have originated, but also the evidence that supports it.

Turns out that it looks like the unmoved mover, the cyclical Universe, the somehow always existed/infinite regress are all wrong.

Quincy

But why would it matter if our creator had a creator?

Another question, anyone can field. Why does the universe consist of objects that are finite? How did they get to be finite and why aren't objects infinite?

zippy2006

I was delusional for a couple of months. I desperately wanted to believe that my life had some ultimate purpose. I accepted the Bible and Jesus. I felt cleansed and saved. Then something happened. I processed all the information I had acquired. I listened to criticisms. I engaged my brain. Doubt "crept in" as I read the Bible more and more and the Bible successfully deconverted me because it started to make no sense morally, rationally and from a believability standpoint.

So obviously Christianity gave you something you sought, or at least you thought it did for awhile. Have you found that thing you were seeking elsewhere since?

Town Heretic sees it as a wilful deconversion. Maybe he is right? Or maybe he has trained himself to think in that way? Who knows?

He seems to be saying that you did not have the "complete and total trust" that you claim you had; that other Christians have trusted more than you did. Seems a fair point :idunno:

It's irrelevant really. What's important is whether or not Biblical claims are true and can be reliably verified.

True enough :thumb:

Last edited:

rexlunae

But why would it matter if our creator had a creator?

Well, it's the difference between potentially answering a question and moving it up a level. Though, I'd argue that it doesn't answer anything in any case.

Another question, anyone can field. Why does the universe consist of objects that are finite? How did they get to be finite and why aren't objects infinite?

Seems like it would be pretty crowded otherwise. Infinite things can't exist.

Quincy

Seems like it would be pretty crowded otherwise. Infinite things can't exist.

There must be a reason why things came to be finite yet the universe as whole continues on. All things have a beginning and end, though it doesn't make sense that they would if the universe always existed. At some point objects would have a start.

Now I'm not pointing to any religion as a definite answer, I'm just saying there has to be a why to how things are.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I used to be very delusional. I admit that. I'm much less delusional now if at all.
And do you think you would have described yourself as delusional when you were a Christian?

If you were on a witness stand this is the point where I'd say, "So were you deluded then or are you deluded now and how can I trust the answer?"

I agree that if God doesn't exist then 'he couldn't possibly fail me. I don't recall saying that "God failed me."
I don't believe you did and that doesn't help you, since it underscores the absence of an unreserved faith. If the object of your trust didn't and couldn't fail you then it speaks to your will being absolutely at the heart of your apostasy. And that goes back to the problem of declaring that you trusted as any did. It doesn't add up.

My negativity? Yes I agree. I am negative about Christianity. I would even call myself an anti-Christian because I am aware of the harm that it can cause.
I'm a Christian. How am I harmed by that fact? How do I harm others?

And I get tired of Christians coming out with the same BS and pat answers and assumptions without a shred of evidence.
As an aside, implied profanity is a rules violation. Purely as an FYI. Else, I haven't heard my response to apostasy, as a logical problem for the person advancing it. But I have heard the same dog and pony apostate/atheist outlay. Much of it is warmed over Dawkins, who is a brilliant biologist but a horribly underinformed theologian, even from a layman's perspective.

I had complete trust in the Bible and Jesus for a time, as far as was humanly possible for me.
Sorry, but that's just not rationally possible. You admitted God didn't fail you (which is reasonable, since he can't regardless of your faith or lack of it, as set out prior). If I have complete trust in your word, by way of illustration, I don't doubt it. And if you haven't failed me, done something to impinge on that, I should always trust you. Now with men that's a shaky or impossible thing, given I know any of us can fail. But with God, a different animal at the outset.

But sometimes people's trust is betrayed. In my case, nothing betrayed me. It was all a concept in my own head.
And that makes my case completely. Nothing happened. You simply chose to reject something you only just told me you had total trust in...those two are mutually exclusive.

TH- can you respond to my previous post on page 11? You skipped it and I like completeness.
Sorry. Didn't mean to. Page numbers can change with posts. What post was it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, because we cannot be empirically certain about anything, ever, yes, we have "faith" with regards to our knowledge.
That's exactly right. We move through the world in a general and frequently in a specific sense by faith. Or do you have the people you trust and love and who respond with the same sentiment tested to see if their declarations and actions are supported by biological tells?

However, faith is not all equal in the sense that there is greater foundation to believe some things are true, or reserve judgement, over others.
I agree. It's a case by case examination.

So are you back-peddling from "the lionshare of mans best and brightest has believed in a god" to "most of mankind has believed in God throughout history"?
No. Why on earth would I? Throughout the history of man the better educated along with the majority of mankind have believed in God. The run toward atheism is a fairly recent trend. I'd argue that it's more of a sociological phenomena than a statement about the credibility of religious faith. Could make an interesting thread.

In the other you seem to be just noting that believing in god has been traditionally popular.
Most people still believe in God. Most always have. Recently

I'll leave this alone and simply note the misleading inaccuracy of the first statement and popularity fallacy of the second.
You're wrong on both points, but I don't know how else to illustrate it. If this subject were reduced to a boxing match, your understanding within the academic community would have won the last two rounds by split decision and lost the preceding rounds handily. You'd have lost every round in the larger argument of men and faith.

If you consider the last 150 to 200 years "recent", sure.
In the history of man and science? Absolutely.

That's a bold assertion void of support.
No, it isn't. Atheism as an advancing cause among academics is a fairly recent phenomena, mostly a twentieth to twenty-first century flag, with exceptions, as there are exceptions today where some brilliant scientific minds still find their faith compatible... and you declared a couple of centuries with less support...so...

Science can and does, however, drive people away from particular religious memes.
Memes isn't science, it's cute speculation and one dismissed by some within that same communiy. But the sort of person who is driven from a faith in God by science is the sort who likely doesn't have a grasp of either and listens to people like Dawkins, who has only a half-grasped answer. :eek:

Such as religions attack on homosexuals.
Not all religion has the same response to homosexuality. Heck, even within the Christian church the response varies. For instance, some would have it criminalized (a minority). That could be considered an attack. Others simply resist the movement to intrude on traditionally heterosexual domain, more defensive or responsive. Still others, like me, believe it to be a sin, but are no more inclined to deny right or advance public condemnation than I would be over any other moral failing, many of which I have and all of which are a spot on argument for the present need for grace.
It's much harder to justify bullying homosexuals when science tells us that homosexuality isn't a disgusting learned behavior by immoral god-hating heathens, but a natural biological one determined genetically
Science really doesn't tell us that though. And bullying isn't a religious phenomena, it's a human one, found in every culture and among any significant gathering of people.

I'm sorry that you find it condescending to challenge you on your beliefs simply because you hold them dearly.
It's like spitting on me before you begin to argue then asserting the argument is what I find disturbing. I've mostly resisted the impulse to reply in kind, until the last couple of posts. The sheep herder nonsense isn't even accurate. It's just the sort of dismissive condescension that is as needless in discussing difference as it is inaccurate and trivializing.

Well I'm not talking about bad data. I'm talking about, collectively, similar things described in the bible continuing on in this day in consistent manners. Like the healing sickness by laying of the hands etc... Why is it that you believe, wholesale, this stuff happened 2000 years ago, but become infuriatingly frustrated that someone suggests it should continue today,
Because it tells me that the critic is operating without a substantive understanding of the miraculous and its point. I'm not suggesting that God doesn't work the miraculous in any age. I would say that miracles had a particular point in Christ's day and prior. That's a long discussion. We can have it if you like.

But I did have that experience. I once believed, without doubt or hesitance, that I had a personal relationship with Jesus. I don't ascribe those feelings to God anymore now that I can think more pragmatically about them.
I know that you believe that to be true. I also know that it isn't possible to arrive where you are from an unreserved faith. I've set out the why with Spec.

Oh C'mon, TH. Don't be so sensitive. You presume to tell others how they really think and feel (when it comes to apostasy) all the time. You're doing it now in this very thread.
Not mad at you, Watson. I like as much as I did before we began the conversation, but I've given you a small taste of the consistent approach you've been using with me that I didn't care for at the outset.

And I tell the apostate his mind in the sense that anyone making an objective examination of a posit and finding a logical flaw is telling someone their mind. See my last post to Spec where he admits he initiated and ended his faith absent any failure on God's part. It confirms my criticism. And there's a difference in drawing a reasoned conclusion and offering insult that isn't one, repeatedly.

rexlunae

There must be a reason why things came to be finite yet the universe as whole continues on.

Just a matter of doing the math. The galaxies are moving away from each other at increasing velocity, and since we have no indication that that will change, we expect the Universe to keep expanding forever.

The fact of the matter is though, we don't know for sure if that's the final outcome because we don't know what the dark energy causing it really is. And the Universe will end, in a sense. The stars will burn out, life will die, the cosmic background radiation will fade until the wavelength is too long to detect, and the galaxies will recede too far to detect each other, and anything that can decay into radiation will do so.

We live in a special time in the Universe: A small band of time in which life is possible, and in which it is possible to actually learn about the Universe. A few billion years ago, or a few (relatively) billion years from now, and it would be too hot, or too cold, and too sparse or too dense.

Perhaps a fresh Universe will start somewhere.

All things have a beginning and end, though it doesn't make sense that they would if the universe always existed. At some point objects would have a start.

Well, it's not really an established fact that all things have a beginning and an end.

Now I'm not pointing to any religion as a definite answer, I'm just saying there has to be a why to how things are.

There's a 'how'. I don't think there's really a 'why'?

Iconoclast

Too numerous to mention all of them. Maybe I should write a general piece about why I no longer believe the Bible is the true and accurate message from an all-moral, all-loving, all-knowing superbeing.

But for starters:

The OT has a talking snake, a talking donkey, Noah's Ark, parting of the red sea, burning bush.

The NT has all the miracles - the most ridiculous ones being the withering of the fig tree & the zombies walking into Jerusalem after Jesus death in Matthew's Gospel.

Yeah I guess you are right those things are just too ridiculous to even have any truth behind them.

Since the bible is literature and in such there are turns of phrase, play on words, Anthropomorphism, metaphors, and all the normal ways of communication of ideas that are done in language through out history. So I would say that you are right a story with a talking snake sure must be literal.

But since you lost what you never had I would guess that you believe in evolution as though that is based on facts. And somehow less of a fairytale for sure.

I have only one question if the above about you is true. Where did the information which is contained in the DNA that causes the proteins to create the DNA come from. There is no natural process which creates information from matter.

Thus a talking donkey isn't that hard... and was the donkey talking or did he just think it was when it was God making him think it was to freak him out.

Okay then see you on judgement day I will ask about you so I can be there at your trial and hear your rationalizations for rejecting all the evidence around you. Good luck with that..:dead: