I lost my faith a while back

Jedidiah

Jesus seems very one dimensional when I read the Bible. He may have existed and done some of the things that were written about in the Gospels but most of the characater is unconvincing and contrived.
Dear Spectrox War,

Thanks for saying so.

The Bible isn't about "Jesus." It's about the risen Lord Jesus Christ, of Whose Body we Christians are, Who lives in and through Us, and you need to read and interpret the Bible this way, or you won't get it.

Kindest regards,
-Jed

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This would be a sufficient answer if I could convince myself that we don't obviously have diametrically different usages and definitions of the word "knowledge".
Depends. Do you use a dictionary or just make it up as you go along. Because if you use a dictionary your concern is unwarranted. If you don't you're probably having trouble reading any of this so...

There is absolutely no way, empirically, you could know anything about your God, let alone any gods.
I also can't measure love with a ruler, but fortunately all knowledge isn't empirical.

Hence the importance of your faith.
You mean my differing faith. Logic proves itself how? You presume your existence and the existence of others, rest on your experience.

Skepticism and faith are mutually exclusive approaches,
No. Faith isn't an approach. It's a consequence. Hence :)D) if you believed we had the same dictionary you'd accept faith as the death of particular skepticism.

You cannot be skeptical about your religious faith and yet still remain religious.
You're not skeptical about skepticism and yet you're still a skeptic. :plain: Or, I just answered that.

And in the absence of any evidence at all, skepticism is superior to faith.
I'd agree to that. I just wouldn't agree that it's the case. My initial experience of God and my subsequent walk are the only evidence that could satisfy, unlike the empirical, which can't even establish the criteria that if met would satisfy the question of God.

And this can be supported empirically by simply examining history.
You want a list of scientific errors commonly and long held?

There are countless examples like this riddled all throughout our history of where a skeptical approach wouldn't have led to the horrors that faith did.
If you mean religious faith, the greatest human suffering and death in the history of civilization is at the feet of men who felt as you do about it. They were hugely skeptical where God was concerned.

Dr.Watson

I also can't measure love with a ruler, but fortunately all knowledge isn't empirical.

No, but the feeling can be reciprocated and communicated effectively between those that feel it in similar ways. We can also view the parts of the brain that activate during the course of someone feeling this particular emotion. These are both empirically established. Love, unlike your religion, isn't some metaphysical thing floating around in the ether that requires mystics to describe and apologists to defend.

You mean my differing faith. Logic proves itself how? You presume your existence and the existence of others, rest on your experience.

Hey, it's reliable. Can't say the same about religion.

No. Faith isn't an approach. It's a consequence. Hence :)D) if you believed we had the same dictionary you'd accept faith as the death of particular skepticism.

Balderdash. It is wishful thinking and silliness to suggest that you arrived at your faith by approaching it skeptically.

You're not skeptical about skepticism and yet you're still a skeptic. :plain: Or, I just answered that.

Oh, C'mon TH. Quit the silly word-games. They're not doing you any favors.

I'd agree to that. I just wouldn't agree that it's the case. My initial experience of God and my subsequent walk are the only evidence that could satisfy, unlike the empirical, which can't even establish the criteria that if met would satisfy the question of God.

Then you don't understand how knowledge is obtained empirically. There is no magic bullet to evidence. Only mountains made by examination and reflection. Evolution, for instance, isn't true because of any one particular study or piece of evidence. But, it appears this way because of how unlikely that it's not true due to hundreds of thousands of pieces of data that fit perfectly with the theory. The theory has also made very accurate predictions of things that were yet to be discovered. In this respect, religion is about as flaccid as it gets. And worse, it's allowed, and continues to allow, people to do and say things as they please - horrible things - under its vale as there is no way to either substantiate it or rebut it. It's the perfect stronghold for liars and wolves.

You want a list of scientific errors commonly and long held?

Why bother? Science is happy to change with data and reflection. Religion is not. I have never said that science cannot be wrong. In fact, the whole en devour is about discovering error and not championing "truths".

If you mean religious faith, the greatest human suffering and death in the history of civilization is at the feet of men who felt as you do about it. They were hugely skeptical where God was concerned.

That's a load of stink. Their lack of faith in a god had nothing to do with their actions. You're not motivated to act based on things you don't believe. Motivations come from things you do believe. It was their belief that they were gods themselves that inspired them to destroy all other competition (a totalitarian dictatorship mindset). This is synonymous with a religious thought pattern and not a skeptical one. Like Dawkins once said: "Stalin also had a mustache. Are men with mustaches guilty of silent partnership in his crimes?"

If you can think of a crime someone would commit solely because they lack a belief in a god, I'll gladly concede that point.

zippy2006

That's a load of stink. Their lack of faith in a god had nothing to do with their actions. You're not motivated to act based on things you don't believe. Motivations come from things you do believe. It was their belief that they were gods themselves that inspired them to destroy all other competition (a totalitarian dictatorship mindset). This is synonymous with a religious thought pattern and not a skeptical one. Like Dawkins once said: "Stalin also had a mustache. Are men with mustaches guilty of silent partnership in his crimes?"

If you can think of a crime someone would commit solely because they lack a belief in a god, I'll gladly concede that point.

How simplistic this is! :dizzy:

Nah, the man who doesn't believe in a source of goodness, a source of truth, a measurer of justice, a well of mercy, the imago dei existing in each and every person, the Mystery which we bow before, nah that man is a murderer by pure coincidence. :chuckle: Your bias is gigantesque. :D

But when TH contrasts satisfaction with the empirical and you speak of evolution, it is clear that you're missing it. Go find the 7 year old boy sprawled atop his mom on the hammock in the sweaty sun, smiling as if his face were made for that very purpose. Ask him if he cares about evolution or any silly empirical theory, because they really are silly compared to what that boy has and what is so absent in today's cocksure atheists. You can talk all day and read all the books in the world, but you won't know as much as that boy does, not even close.

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...We are both in danger of making assumptions about what each of us believe about Christianity/ The Bible etc.
:idunno: I don't think it factors. You've made some fairly straight forward claims with rational problems. I've been limiting my criticism to that.

What do you believe precisely and why do you believe it?
I'd be happy to go into it with you at some point, but it isn't necessary for our purposes here.

I agree with the first part. Some Christians told me they could have faith and doubt all at the same time but I found this to be contradictory.
And you're right. You can doubt your understanding of a thing, but if you extend that to God what you have is something other than trust, which is a necessary foundation of faith.

It is possible to have a belief in something and then for doubt to set in which erodes the belief.
Well, no. Doubt isn't a virus or even a process. It's a decision. It requires entertainment and that's a product of will that illustrates that flaw in foundation I noted prior.

The difference between this and Christianity is that when my parents realised I had figured it out, they stopped reinforcing the fantasy.
Then your faith was never in Santa, but in your parents and their apparent belief, which itself was a sham. Or did you experience Santa as a real and present being in relation?

I don't consider doubt to be willful.
Then someone else is making your decisions for you.

The nature of a rational mind is to follow the evidence, not lead it.
Except by deciding what evidence to exclude from consideration you're determining, not following.

Why is God referred to as He all the time and why was his incarnation on Earth a man?
God is relating something of His nature. Given the Law would proceed grace, the masculine makes perfect sense. Wnat doesn't make sense is thinking of God as being sexed when the entirety of creation, including sex, is created.

I have written only a few hundred words on a discussion forum and yet you claim to know so much about me.
No. I'm simply noting logical contradictions and their consequence. I don't need a life history to do that or whether or not you were Catholic or Charismatic.

I believed Jesus was my saviour. I felt purified and saved. I read and lived the Bible everyday. I wanted to tell everyone about it and how they could be saved.
I don't doubt it. But you as undoubtedly reserved and failed in reliance and trust. That's not nothing, but it isn't the faith that marks the beginning of relation. What you had was what you talked yourself into and out of.

Strange how you consider this not to be enough.
No more strange than asserting a thing cannot be both on and off and that someone is responsible for either state.

If this is not sufficient then what does constitute true Christianity?
An unreserved and unconditional love and trust in Christ. It's merited, unlike grace.

...Faith is by definition a fail as far as I'm concerned. Faith is gullibility. It's belief in spite of the evidence.
It doesn't have to be. It rarely actually is. Your faith in your parents, misplaced as it might have been regarding Santa, wasn't without foundation. You had the experience of relation and relied on it. But your parents, like all of us, were imperfect. So they failed you. But faith isn't being gullible and trust isn't a character flaw...and God will never forsake you.

I get the feeling that you are trying to invalidate my experience by deploying the No True Scotsman Fallacy.
How so? That is, I don't think you can actually apply that and I'm game for you to make the attempt.

You know nothing about me.
Again, I don't need to in order to address the rational problem and deficiency of apostasy, which is essentially what your limited narrative comes down to.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, but the feeling can be reciprocated and communicated effectively between those that feel it in similar ways.
The form, to be certain. But mostly we accept that what a person says and what they do are indicative of an actual state. People who are adept at lying can produce the same words and acts. We don't typically hook the object of our affection up to various machinery to ascertain their veracity.

We can also view the parts of the brain that activate during the course of someone feeling this particular emotion.
And of those experiencing a religious state of relation and elevation. Sure. Now what we can't empirically establish with either is what that particularly means, which is rather important.

These are both empirically established. Love, unlike your religion, isn't some metaphysical thing floating around in the ether that requires mystics to describe and apologists to defend.
Actually, religion is a word we slap over experience, unless we're talking about a dead form. So it's very much like love, being premised in it, though more than it.

Hey, it's reliable. Can't say the same about religion.
They're both reliable within their contextual application and that's all you can say about either with authority.

Balderdash. It is wishful thinking and silliness to suggest that you arrived at your faith by approaching it skeptically.
I wasn't expressing a personal narrative. I didn't approach at all in any traditional sense. But the point I made, that Lewis and others would make is that you can absolutely approach life with skepticism and arrive at faith. I can make the argument that faith is a rationally superior construct to your chosen context. That's what I was getting at.

Oh, C'mon TH. Quit the silly word-games. They're not doing you any favors.
Odd. How did you get the gist but not the point? :D

Then you don't understand how knowledge is obtained empirically.
Sure I do.

There is no magic bullet to evidence.
If you can't set out what you mean by your charge then I can hardy call that charge intelligible or meaningful. Empiricism simply isn't in a position to examine the question. There is no preponderance that would function to make the point. The parts would fail before accumulation. Try it.

Evolution, for instance...The theory has also made very accurate predictions of things that were yet to be discovered. In this respect, religion is about as flaccid as it gets.
Christianity teaches us a great deal about human nature and the reason for its state, what it cannot hope to do but longs for. And the proof is in our natures absent the thing which can provide the fulfillment of that desire. God.

And worse, it's allowed, and continues to allow, people to do and say things as they please
Unlike the atheist who is restrained by...:think:

When someone acts the part of a liar or a wolf within the Christian fold they're failing the faith or lack it. When an atheist does that he's succeeding as mightily as the perfect humanist.

Why bother? Science is happy to change with data and reflection.
The peculiar religious example you noted. Is that a widely held belief today? Faith isn't the end of inquiry into any number of things. It's the end of being substantively alone in that inquiry.

Re: Stalin et al...
Their lack of faith in a god had nothing to do with their actions.
I don't know if that's naiveté or hubris, but in any event it's remarkable. It is precisely because Stalin and Mao believed themselves to be the arbiters of moral authority, the inescapable consequence of their want of faith in an absolute and independent moral authority, that they could act as they did.

You're not motivated to act based on things you don't believe.
The belief that you decide your own morality is the logical end of an atheistic thought process. You are motivated and/or constrained by your belief in that particular.

Like Dawkins once said: "Stalin also had a mustache. Are men with mustaches guilty of silent partnership in his crimes?"
Again, to be clear, it isn't the absence of belief in God but the belief absent God that is the potential problem. Dawkins was being either ill considered or disingenuous.

Last edited:

Lon

I want to deal with this "having a relationship with Jesus" thing right off the bat.

I used to think I had a relationship with Jesus. It was an almost palpable sense of presence I felt whenever I prayed or read Scripture.

Now I think that "relationship" means something quite different. For a relationship to exist, the other person has to actually exist and it has to be a 2-way interaction. I realised my "relationship" with Christ was just one-way and I was providing all the input. I would have to know what that person was like in detail so that they were real 3-D personalities, not just a character in a book.
I would have to see them in the visible light spectrum and hear them in the audible range of 20Hz to 20kHz.
I don't know. I've met "Frodo Baggins" in the sense you are talking about. Tolkien was excellent at fleshing him out
in 3-D but he isn't real.

Abraham lincoln is black'n'white to me but I doubt not his existence.
I would say what I know about him is history (it) and what he accomplished (it), etc.

Even though one is more fleshed out in my mind, only one of the two above is historical.

I would know about their various habits and preferences. I would perhaps if I knew them well be able to have a laugh and a joke with them and be playful. I would know whether they trimmed their beard everyday and whether they enjoyed a pint of beer.
My mother left my father when I was very young. I don't even remember him other than childhood nightmares. This doesn't make him less real.
In fact, Jesus seems more real to me than my father, existence-wise. Regardless, "we walk by faith, not by sight."

Jesus seems very one dimensional when I read the Bible. He may have existed and done some of the things that were written about in the Gospels but most of the characater is unconvincing and contrived.
Anything about my father is unconvincing and contrived. It doesn't make him any less real and his imprint and veracity on my, in my, life is real.

This Charming Manc

Hi Spetrox I am a Brit to.

I lost my ability to live my faith out about 15 years ago.

I found it again about 8 years ago.

I still wrestle with my faith and let my faith wrestle with me, on a daily basis.

I don't think my faith makes me any happier alot of the time, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

"Where else can i go who else has the words of eternal life ?"

My name is Spectrox. I am from the UK.

I lost my Christian faith about 15 years ago.

I would now consider myself either an agnostic or an atheist or an agnostic atheist depending on my mood and the definitions being used.

I am much more skeptical about religion and spirituality than I used to be (obviously) and I reckon I am more logical and rational now than when I believed Jesus was my saviour.

I am certainly happier.

I enjoy honest debate.

PureX

I'm still here. I appreciate your comments and identify with the non-judgemental tone in your prose.

I haven't found a more grown-up interpretation of Christianity or spirituality I'm afraid.
Have you really looked? Do you know where to look?

What do you think is the essential message being conveyed to us by the story of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection in the Bible? I think the message is that God's love and forgiveness, acting through Jesus, healed others. Also, because Jesus allowed himself to be used in this way, he did not stay dead even though he was murdered for exemplifying God's love on Earth. So the message seems to be that we can be healed, saved and 'resurrected' by allowing ourselves to be loved and forgiven, and by becoming the expressions of that love and forgiveness to others.

And when I look at the experiences of my own life, I can see that this is the truth. I was a hopeless alcoholic for many years, enslaved to my own addictions. But through the love and forgiveness I received from other hopeless drunks like myself, in AA, and by trying to express that same love and forgiveness to other drunks as they came asking for help, I was 'resurrected'. I was changed from being a man who couldn't stop drinking no matter how hard I tried, to being a man who could. I changed from being hopeless and miserable all the time to being joyful and appreciative of life. I'm a different person because I gave myself over to this process.

The point is that when I looked at the experiences of my life, I could see that the message in the story of Jesus is true. And it doesn't matter if the story itself is historically true or not. I'll never know, anyway, because I wasn't there. And I don't care, because it's not historical accuracy that's important, it's the truthfulness of the message.

If you look at your own life experiences, can you see how being loved and forgiven by others, and then by loving and forgiving others in turn have healed you, and have changed you for the better? If not, perhaps it's because you haven't really tried it, in earnest.

I'm just trying to point out that there is a very reasonable, rational, logical, and grown up way of understanding and approaching the ideal of Christ (God's love 'made flesh': being expressed in us and through us and to each other, to heal us and save us from ourselves). You don't have to play childish make-believe games in your head to accept the reality of God (which I didn't get to, here), or of Christ. There is such a thing as Christianity for grown ups. If you're interested.

GuySmiley

No, but the feeling can be reciprocated and communicated effectively between those that feel it in similar ways. We can also view the parts of the brain that activate during the course of someone feeling this particular emotion. These are both empirically established. Love, unlike your religion, isn't some metaphysical thing floating around in the ether that requires mystics to describe and apologists to defend.
You are such a romantic! So that's love? Parts of the brain activating. We can also communicate effectively between those that feel similarly about religion. I bet we could measure brain activity during worship. There, religion is empiracally proven.

Dr.Watson

The form, to be certain. But mostly we accept that what a person says and what they do are indicative of an actual state. People who are adept at lying can produce the same words and acts. We don't typically hook the object of our affection up to various machinery to ascertain their veracity.

You missed the point, old friend. The point is that love is real in the sense that it's effects on the individual can be accurately communicated and corroborated and reciprocated. It needs no mystical explanation or apologetic defense. And therefore, it is a poor metaphor to describe religion which historically has had as many explanations and defenses as there have been explainers and defenders.

Actually, religion is a word we slap over experience, unless we're talking about a dead form. So it's very much like love, being premised in it, though more than it.

Than your knowledge of religious history seems as poor as your knowledge of scientific endevour and its limits. Religion isn't always an "experience". It sometimes is, and mostly only by those apologizing for it. In fact, for the greater majority, it's traditionally been a practice and substitute for scientific discovery as well as a social guideline for moral/behavioral expectations, standards, and justice.

If you can't set out what you mean by your charge then I can hardy call that charge intelligible or meaningful. Empiricism simply isn't in a position to examine the question.

This is simply and plainly, not true. If your religion makes any truth claims about the world or it's nature, or argues the existence of a God based on the same (cosmological argument, moral argument etc...) than it makes itself open to empirical examination.

There is no preponderance that would function to make the point. The parts would fail before accumulation. Try it.

Simply put, if the pieces of data, as they are assembled by science, more closely corroborated the tales of a God in a myth book, it would seem more likely that such a hypothesis would be correct. This has yet to be the case. The more we learn, the more we learn how silly and/or unrealistic religious myths are. Religion, western religion specifically, has not a single explanation or insight into the human condition that isn't now better explained, or found to be totally in error, by science.

Christianity teaches us a great deal about human nature and the reason for its state, what it cannot hope to do but longs for.

It has an explanation. One that when seriously contemplated on seems at best absurd and at worst horrific. When was the last time religion truly brought enlightenment instead of just perpetually shedding darkness?

Unlike the atheist who is restrained by...:think:

You answered it. Restrained by skeptical thinking and inward reflection for better judgement.

When someone acts the part of a liar or a wolf within the Christian fold they're failing the faith or lack it. When an atheist does that he's succeeding as mightily as the perfect humanist.

That assumes they know they are lying or wolves. How many witches were burnt at stakes by priests who knew that there are no such things as witches? How many murdered from false medical practices under the pretense that underlying medical conditions were a result of demons? How many animals tortured for blood sacrifices? How many genitals mutilated? How many child brides has religion sequestered? How many women forced into marriage with their rapist? How many children killed for village and ethnic cleansing? All this is at the feet of religious belief. And this is a very small sample of a very large list. What Successes are you alluding to on behalf of a thug atheist?

Re: Stalin et al...

I don't know if that's naiveté or hubris, but in any event it's remarkable. It is precisely because Stalin and Mao believed themselves to be the arbiters of moral authority, the inescapable consequence of their want of faith in an absolute and independent moral authority, that they could act as they did.

Exactly. They were jealous gods. You can't blame a lack of skeptical inquiry applied for the slaughters and horrors they carried out. And they didn't carry it out because of something they didn't believe in. They acted on a belief. A horrific one. A belief that they are superior to all else and worthy of only adoration and worship. A belief that allowed them to carry out the worst of atrocities under its protection, unchallenged, or if challenged, met with death. One that is certainly not mandatory for atheism, or admirable for the thinking person. The only thing mandatory to be an atheist, is simply not believing in a god or gods. However, this belief of theirs sounds an awful lot like the writings in the OT.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...love is real in the sense that it's effects on the individual can be accurately communicated and corroborated and reciprocated. It needs no mystical explanation or apologetic defense.
The same can be said for the religious experience. It can be observed by instrument, as well as by behavior. It's effects can be corroborated and reciprocated. And love, the corner stone of it, is as or no more mystical.

Than your knowledge of religious history seems as poor as your knowledge of scientific endevour and its limits.
Or your ability to sustain your declaration on those points.

Religion isn't always an "experience".
I noted as much in the very sentence quoted prior to your response here. But the value and truth of religion is in its experience. I was perhaps a little harsh in calling some of it a dead matter of form.

It sometimes is, and mostly only by those apologizing for it.
Self serving assumption. You apparently know less about religious life than you do about what I know about. Now we're even? :D

In fact, for the greater majority, it's traditionally been a practice and substitute for scientific discovery as well as a social guideline for moral/behavioral expectations, standards, and justice.
Or, life on the whole as we live it.There was a day when science had few answers for any number of natural phenomena and religion, being man's earliest serious attempt to understand his relation to the world, among other things, attempted to provide those answers. Christianity, beyond the application of grace, is first and foremost about relation, between men and God and then between each other.

I wrote: If you can't set out what you mean by your charge then I can hardy call that charge intelligible or meaningful. Empiricism simply isn't in a position to examine the question.
This is simply and plainly, not true.
It's rationally and irrefutably true.

If your religion makes any truth claims about the world or it's nature, or argues the existence of a God based on the same (cosmological argument, moral argument etc...) than it makes itself open to empirical examination.
Sure. Also not the point in examining the question and problem of inquiry into God's existence.

Simply put, if the pieces of data, as they are assembled by science, more closely corroborated the tales of a God in a myth book, it would seem more likely that such a hypothesis would be correct.
Then it wouldn't be a myth book. It's funny that you can't even within that context avoid displaying your ire/bias...but you can't begin get to the general existence of God empirically, as noted prior in my examination of the objectively impossible challenge on the point. So you're getting that cart before the horse by narrowing it even more.

...The more we learn, the more we learn how silly and/or unrealistic religious myths are.
Some, certainly. And hopefully we distinguish between metaphor or other literary devices and a literal narrative too. Though I have my doubts that some in your camp do.

Religion, western religion specifically, has not a single explanation or insight into the human condition that isn't now better explained, or found to be totally in error, by science.
Stuff and declarative nonsense, to match your proof if not your volume.

Christianity teaches us a great deal about human nature and the reason for its state, what it cannot hope to do but longs for.
It has an explanation.
One that, in the Christian approach notes the difference between aspiration and practice and offers an understanding of why we habitually fail ourselves, among other things.

One that when seriously contemplated on seems at best absurd and at worst horrific.
Have you an argument or is this ongoing insult all you're down to? To match your consideration: horsefeathers.

When was the last time religion truly brought enlightenment instead of just perpetually shedding darkness?
What time is it?

You answered it. Restrained by skeptical thinking and inward reflection for better judgement.
I did answer it: restrained by nothing. He need no more obey his skepticism, which isn't really a moral standard for action, than he need serve any interest at all. As I noted:

That assumes they know they are lying or wolves. How many witches were burnt at stakes by priests who knew that there are no such things as witches?
I don't know. And, more to the point, neither do you. But all in all a smattering compared to any of the three tyrants I noted.

The only thing mandatory to be an atheist, is simply not believing in a god or gods.
Which is to necessarily believe yourself the arbiter of morality. It is from this vanity that Stalin and Mao and Pol Pot arise not as aberration, but as rational extension.

Dr.Watson

The same can be said for the religious experience. It can be observed by instrument, as well as by behavior. It's effects can be corroborated and reciprocated. And love, the corner stone of it, is as or no more mystical.
Emotion elicited from religious belief and practice can be as you describe. But the core truth of it isn't determined by its adherents emotions.
Or, life on the whole as we live it.There was a day when science had few answers for any number of natural phenomena and religion, being man's earliest serious attempt to understand his relation to the world, among other things, attempted to provide those answers. Christianity, beyond the application of grace, is first and foremost about relation, between men and God and then between each other.
Failing to establish what is this God you speak of (in a meaningful and consistent way), makes this completely unintelligible.
I wrote: If you can't set out what you mean by your charge then I can hardy call that charge intelligible or meaningful. Empiricism simply isn't in a position to examine the question.
Like I said, if you are correct, then empiricism is not set to examine any questions about the nature of existence. And this, of course, isn't true. If it exists in reality, and makes statements regarding the nature of reality, than it's perfectly reasonable to suppose that it can be examined empirically by falsification. And, in-fact, it has already been done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer. This one study proves nothing alone, but it is surely not evidence supporting a god hypothesis.
Then it wouldn't be a myth book.
That's correct. It would start to appear less like myths and it would be an astounding find supporting whichever god is described within its pages.
Such as?
Have you an argument or is this ongoing insult all you're down to? To match your consideration: horsefeathers.
What is not absurd or horrific about human torture, sacrifice, and vicarious redemption? Especially since it comes from a being that is all-knowing/loving/powerful. If this is the best idea that could have been hatched by such a being, than I'm ashamed to be created in such an image.
I did answer it: restrained by nothing. He need no more obey his skepticism, which isn't really a moral standard for action, than he need serve any interest at all. As I noted:

I don't know. And, more to the point, neither do you. But all in all a smattering compared to any of the three tyrants I noted.

Which is to necessarily believe yourself the arbiter of morality. It is from this vanity that Stalin and Mao and Pol Pot arise not as aberration, but as rational extension.
Surely religion is not exclusively conducive to atrocity. But it does provide a really attractive vehicle and fuel for carrying it out. And it has a terribly long history of doing just this. As for Stalin et al.; These men answered to no-one. And this is not a humanistic or atheistic/naturalistic quality. Nor is it the "rational extension" of a skeptical inquirer. This is the same quality given to yours and other god/s who are recorded to have carried out equal horror (destroying whole villages in ethnic cleansing rampages. Ordering the murder and rape of women and children. And supposedly even wiping out the entire earth with a gigantic deluge). Of course we answer to someone other than ourselves. We answer to each other. So your argument is an absurd strawman. No one person is the arbiter of morality, and neither does this mean that morality has some metaphysical supreme arbiter.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Emotion elicited from religious belief and practice can be as you describe. But the core truth of it isn't determined by its adherents emotions.
It's the only truth we can access. It's really the only truth we can assert in any sense. The truth that appears to us. We may be right. We may be delusional. We may not even be. But we experience and process and come to grips with what we believe as best we can.
Failing to establish what is this God you speak of (in a meaningful and consistent way), makes this completely unintelligible.
It would be a fine point were I trying to establish that for you instead of standing ready and willing to do the thing you (in the challenger sense) desire but cannot name for me. Fortunately, I have a means to circumvent our problem of communication. It's a simple matter of will and exercise. Or it would be provided you (in that broader role) didn't insist on having the impossible first.

Like I said, if you are correct, then empiricism is not set to examine any questions about the nature of existence. And this, of course, isn't true.
It's true that your premise isn't. Empiricism is limited. It can measure, but it cannot value. It can describe process, but it cannot answer as to the origin of being and existence. And if you cannot say what would satisfy an inquiry I can hardly be expected to supply it...

If it exists in reality, and makes statements regarding the nature of reality, than it's perfectly reasonable to suppose that it can be examined empirically by falsification.

And, in-fact, it has already been done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer. This one study proves nothing alone, but it is surely not evidence supporting a god hypothesis.
Without going into the methodology or religious particulars of any such study, neither would the dramatic success of prayer have been evidence of God. It could have as easily been considered a quantum level manipulation by some unknown means or evidence of some operation of natural law as yet undetermined. Or it could be argued that man, having understood a cause effect relation in relation to intense desire and concentration had developed an elaborate explanation for it. God needn't factor in at all.

That's correct. It would start to appear less like myths and it would be an astounding find supporting whichever god is described within its pages.
I find the witness accounts, generationally, of altered lives and relation to be fairly persuasive evidence that the Christian myth, to steal from Tolkien and Lewis, is a true one. I find that assertion buttressed by my own experience. And as that experience is the only means to approach the question...

Read Paul. With sad frequency that which we desire to do we fail to do and that which we would reject we do. Why? Is it that we're lying to ourselves about the desires of our heart? Or is there something in our nature that precludes our approach beyond the idea of it absent something else and other? History tells us that we desire the good. For all our ongoing and incessant failure we still laud and reach after the perfect. Why? If nothing matters unless and until we decide it does then there's no answering the question. To the Christian it is because in the perfect is God and we desire, in truth, a reconciliation.

What is not absurd or horrific about human torture, sacrifice, and vicarious redemption?
Like asking what's not horrible about mutilation, theft and birthday parties, to note the first problem. The second is that you aren't in any position to judge any of that, only to note its effect. Or, you're in no better position and your judgment amounts to nothing more or less than a standard that itself has no authority. In other words, when an atheist attempts moral outrage he is his own problem.

Especially since it comes from a being that is all-knowing/loving/powerful. If this is the best idea that could have been hatched by such a being, than I'm ashamed to be created in such an image.
Christendom doesn't teach that we're living in the best or even intended place for mankind. But we are creatures of will and creation is a place of consequence. As to your feelings, it's a silly business to judge that which cannot be judged within its context and is nonsensical to attempt outside of it. But suit yourself.

Surely religion is not exclusively conducive to atrocity.
Any organized idea of man, empowered by structure, will give rise to abuse. Sociopaths adore management positions. And trusting people will frequently find themselves at the mercy of petty tyrants.

If God isn't, as you believe, then history is evidence that man, whatever his faith, is a creature prone to horrific acts in the name of self empowerment, covered by whatever flag will accomplish it. That is, if God isn't, then religion is just a sound we make to signify something that reflects our nature. Eradicate the sound and you won't have accomplished much. In fact, abandoning the notion of utlimate moral accountability is practically begging for worse, because it justifies any action equally and makes condemnation little more than an attempt to impose preference.

As for Stalin et al.; These men answered to no-one. And this is not a humanistic or atheistic/naturalistic quality.
Again with the peculiar mixing for shelter. It is absolutely an atheistic quality. It is an inescapable truth that your value is no more controlling in relation to me than the next fellow's. I am not bound by it or by you. Now you can fashion any form of religious stand in, but absent a seat of authority independent of you or me it's just an invitation to agree or the imposition of will by fiat.

Nor is it the "rational extension" of a skeptical inquirer.
Supra and that can be whatever you fashion it into. It suffers the same fate and the argument is between faith in moral absolute or relativism.

Of course we answer to someone other than ourselves. We answer to each other. So your argument is an absurd strawman.
You answer if you choose or you're just talking about replacing the tyranny of the good, in terms of ultimate consequence, with a more dramatically flawed tyranny in the here and now. One that must rely on power and cannot argue a standard beyond it since the valuation is necessarily and completely dependent on subjective valuation.

No one person is the arbiter of morality,
That's your moral notion. And that's all it can be.

Spectrox War

Dear Spectrox War,

Thanks for saying so.

The Bible isn't about "Jesus." It's about the risen Lord Jesus Christ, of Whose Body we Christians are, Who lives in and through Us, and you need to read and interpret the Bible this way, or you won't get it.

Kindest regards,
-Jed

Your comment is nonsensical and an assumption about what happened to this guy Jesus (assuming he even existed in the first place). What does "live in and through us" actually mean? Can you explain it logically or is it something you just heard in church?

Spectrox War

And you're right. You can doubt your understanding of a thing, but if you extend that to God what you have is something other than trust, which is a necessary foundation of faith.

Why should I trust in something for which there is no good evidence. Indeed I would go further and say that the evidence provided by the Bible is good enough to dismiss the majority of its claims as either immoral, irrational and unbelievable.

Then your faith was never in Santa, but in your parents and their apparent belief, which itself was a sham. Or did you experience Santa as a real and present being in relation?

This is not correct. I did not have "faith" in my parent's existence. I could demonstrate everyday that they existed. As a child I had insufficient ability and time to question everything they told me. So I went along with the contagious Santa idea for a few years. I don't mind that my parents went along with the innocent story of Santa. In fact I would be very annoyed if they hadn't, to be honest. It made Xmas more magical and I got extra presents. In most respects my parents were excellent and I have no hang-ups about them at all. In fact they are vastly superior to the Biblical God in every way. They are fair, loving, supportive and even have a sense of humour. Qualities that the God in the Bible stories is sadly lacking.

Then someone else is making your decisions for you.

I take full responsibility for all my decisions, including my decision to leave Christianity. Reasonable doubt was a part of that decision.

In fact, if when I die it turns out that the Bible claims are true (very unlikely but possible) then God and I will have an interesting dialogue (assuming he doesn't just smite me down immediately). Questions I would ask would be:

Why did you reveal yourself to me 15 years ago and not take the opportunity to cement the deal?
Why have you remained obscure and elusive - which is no different to not existing at all?
Why would you only save people who are sycophants to an idea, not people who are good people who for whatever reason could not believe your old book?
If I was born in Asia or the Middle East I would much more likely believe in the Islamic God or the Hindu Gods. How can anyone ever independently know that you are the correct one?

Except by deciding what evidence to exclude from consideration you're determining, not following.

If claims clearly contradict themselves (such as the 2 versions of the death of Judas or Jesus' journey to Copernium taking both 6 days and about 8 days) then why would I not reject them? Maybe you can handle cognitive dissonance better than I?

God is relating something of His nature. Given the Law would proceed grace, the masculine makes perfect sense. Wnat doesn't make sense is thinking of God as being sexed when the entirety of creation, including sex, is created.

Why would the Law proceed grace? Why did God decide to reveal himself in Bronze Age and Iron Age Palestine? Did he have no choice when to carry out the revelation? He decided to give his message to backward people (China were already reading and writing in the first century CAE) who would eventually be inspired and write it down decades after the event. He would then rely on copies of copies of translations of copies with no originals and expect people to believe all this when none of it can be verified or investigated. Any semi-intelligent deity would understand the deficiencies in this random plan.

I don't doubt it. But you as undoubtedly reserved and failed in reliance and trust. That's not nothing, but it isn't the faith that marks the beginning of relation. What you had was what you talked yourself into and out of.

You can say nothing about the quality of the faith I had, only the quantity. My faith lasted for a few months. Yours may well last until you drop.

Anyway Hebrews 5 verses 11 through 14 warn of falling away from the faith, so I'm not sure that what you are claiming is Biblical anyway.

No more strange than asserting a thing cannot be both on and off and that someone is responsible for either state.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

An unreserved and unconditional love and trust in Christ. It's merited, unlike grace.

Why does a charcater in a Book deserve unconditional and unreserved love? I think this is crazy.

It doesn't have to be. It rarely actually is. Your faith in your parents, misplaced as it might have been regarding Santa, wasn't without foundation. You had the experience of relation and relied on it. But your parents, like all of us, were imperfect. So they failed you. But faith isn't being gullible and trust isn't a character flaw...and God will never forsake you.

My parents have never failed me. Christian claims on the other hand...

Faith is belief with no good reason, often in spite of evidence to the contrary. It's not a Pathway to Truth. It's the Highway to Insanity.

And God probably doesn't exist. It was all a concept in my own head. I am now free of it.

Again, I don't need to in order to address the rational problem and deficiency of apostasy, which is essentially what your limited narrative comes down to.

Is that the best put-down you can manage? At least my points are intelligible and I don't speak a hundred words when a dozen would probably do. Sometimes less is more. A lesson your God needs to learn. He is such a terrible script editor.
The Bible goes on and on about the plight of the Jews in the OT. And then all that endless repetition in the Gospels. If I'd been God I'd have written a tighter script.

Spectrox War

I don't know. I've met "Frodo Baggins" in the sense you are talking about. Tolkien was excellent at fleshing him out
in 3-D but he isn't real. Abraham lincoln is black'n'white to me but I doubt not his existence.
I would say what I know about him is history (it) and what he accomplished (it), etc.

I agree. Tolkien is a much better writer than God.

As regards Lincoln, we have photos, and lots of self-corroborating original writings about him. Some of the details may be hazy but I am far more convinced that Lincoln existed than Jesus. That doesn't bode well for any lasting belief in Jesus and what the writers claimed he did.

My mother left my father when I was very young. I don't even remember him other than childhood nightmares. This doesn't make him less real.
In fact, Jesus seems more real to me than my father, existence-wise. Regardless, "we walk by faith, not by sight."

I am sorry to hear about this. It must have been very traumatic.

Existence-wise. We could demonstrate that your father was indeed your father by carrying out DNA tests on both him and you. You must have got your other chromosome from somewhere.

Anything about my father is unconvincing and contrived. It doesn't make him any less real and his imprint and veracity on my, in my, life is real.

I don't think it is scientifically correct to compare the existence of your father with the existence of a character in a book written 2000 years ago.

Spectrox War

Hi Spetrox I am a Brit to.

I lost my ability to live my faith out about 15 years ago.

I found it again about 8 years ago.

I still wrestle with my faith and let my faith wrestle with me, on a daily basis.

I don't think my faith makes me any happier alot of the time, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

"Where else can i go who else has the words of eternal life ?"

Just because someone promises you eternal life, that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Sometimes I think I would like to live forever. Indeed I used to believe this.

Thing is, what would I do for an eternity? It would get boring pretty quickly. It might be a pleasant surpise for the first 50 years of discovering there is an afterlife. But the novelty would soon wear off.

I think the idea of an afterlife cheapens this life now, which is the only life I KNOW I'm going to get. Also what happens to morals and consequences in an afterlife. What happens to cause and effect? It makes no sense to me anymore.

Spectrox War

Have you really looked? Do you know where to look?

Are you kidding me? I was a firm believer for several months. Have you not read anything I've written on this thread?

What do you think is the essential message being conveyed to us by the story of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection in the Bible? I think the message is that God's love and forgiveness, acting through Jesus, healed others. Also, because Jesus allowed himself to be used in this way, he did not stay dead even though he was murdered for exemplifying God's love on Earth. So the message seems to be that we can be healed, saved and 'resurrected' by allowing ourselves to be loved and forgiven, and by becoming the expressions of that love and forgiveness to others.

I find the whole story perverse. Why would God need to sacrifice himself to himself in order to act as a loophole to a law he introduced in the Old Testament? It's insane!

If he wanted to forgive us, is it not in his capacity to just forgive us and make it absolutely clear to everyone? What's wrong with telepathy? Why can't God be telepathic? We might at least find the claims plausible.

And when I look at the experiences of my own life, I can see that this is the truth. I was a hopeless alcoholic for many years, enslaved to my own addictions. But through the love and forgiveness I received from other hopeless drunks like myself, in AA, and by trying to express that same love and forgiveness to other drunks as they came asking for help, I was 'resurrected'. I was changed from being a man who couldn't stop drinking no matter how hard I tried, to being a man who could. I changed from being hopeless and miserable all the time to being joyful and appreciative of life. I'm a different person because I gave myself over to this process.

"Say not you have found the truth, but rather you have found a truth". Kahlil Gibran

I'm very glad you feel happier now and more in control of your life. Thing is there is no way of knowing whether the spirit of Jesus had anything to do with what you experienced at that time or whether it was simply the kindness and support of other people.

The point is that when I looked at the experiences of my life, I could see that the message in the story of Jesus is true. And it doesn't matter if the story itself is historically true or not. I'll never know, anyway, because I wasn't there. And I don't care, because it's not historical accuracy that's important, it's the truthfulness of the message.

It does matter whether the story is historically true.

I find lots of truth in episodes of Star Trek but I don't believe in the planet Vulcan and engage in the Pon Far mating ritual every 7 years.

If you look at your own life experiences, can you see how being loved and forgiven by others, and then by loving and forgiving others in turn have healed you, and have changed you for the better? If not, perhaps it's because you haven't really tried it, in earnest.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with this. We all need authentic love. I just think Biblical claims are a sham. A well-meaning sham and the best that men could do 2000 years ago. But a sham none the less.

I'm just trying to point out that there is a very reasonable, rational, logical, and grown up way of understanding and approaching the ideal of Christ (God's love 'made flesh': being expressed in us and through us and to each other, to heal us and save us from ourselves). You don't have to play childish make-believe games in your head to accept the reality of God (which I didn't get to, here), or of Christ. There is such a thing as Christianity for grown ups. If you're interested.

This is where we will have to agree to disagree. There is very little that is rational or logical in the Bible. It has a different agenda. There is nothing written in the Bible in praise of intelligence or skepticism.

Christianity was developed at a time when the human race was at the level of infants. Now the human race has entered adolescence. In many ways a more dangerous time. But eventually humanity will grow up completely and hopefully put away all childish things - including religion.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Just because many people believe this, doesn't make it true. People can be wrong (in large numbers). I was.
Your claim was that Christians are less rational. I merely pointed out that irrationality is a trait of humans in general, not just the faithful. (Yes, there are irrational believers.)

Spectrox War said:
I don't agree. Maybe creation is unnecessary to explain the world as we know it.

Science and faith (with a Big F) are incompatible IMO. Science follows the evidence. Faith leads it. If science doesn't know the answer, it admits it. It doesn't assume that Goddidit. There's no shame in not knowing.
They are incompatible in your mind because you have a bias. You are every bit is strongly biased as Stripe and that colors your ability to reason. You are, in fact, leading your evidence down a path that you want to follow. It is just a different path than Stripes.