I lost my faith a while back

zippy2006

Just a matter of doing the math. The galaxies are moving away from each other at increasing velocity, and since we have no indication that that will change, we expect the Universe to keep expanding forever.

That doesn't address the question of why there are finite rather than infinite things. Why is there anything at all?

Well, it's not really an established fact that all things have a beginning and an end.

Everything in our experience does. I understand Quincy to simply be voicing the fairly obvious metaphysical fact. :idunno: Why is anything finite? Why does anything have a beginning and an end? Why does anything exist at all? :think:

Quincy

Just a matter of doing the math. The galaxies are moving away from each other at increasing velocity, and since we have no indication that that will change, we expect the Universe to keep expanding forever.

The fact of the matter is though, we don't know for sure if that's the final outcome because we don't know what the dark energy causing it really is. And the Universe will end, in a sense. The stars will burn out, life will die, the cosmic background radiation will fade until the wavelength is too long to detect, and the galaxies will recede too far to detect each other, and anything that can decay into radiation will do so.

I think you could also say the universe might collapse in on itself too, I think they call it the big crunch? Regardless though, there has to be reason to why the big bang happened, why the fundamental forces of nature work like they do and why even the stars die.

We live in a special time in the Universe: A small band of time in which life is possible, and in which it is possible to actually learn about the Universe. A few billion years ago, or a few (relatively) billion years from now, and it would be too hot, or too cold, and too sparse or too dense.

Perhaps a fresh Universe will start somewhere.

It's possible. Things may collapse and then bounce back to a new universe. I think we should only be concerned with ours though.

Well, it's not really an established fact that all things have a beginning and an end.

Well, I guess there is a better way to put it. Why does form have a beginning and end? Or even better, why does matter go through the processes that allow it to take form?

There's a 'how'. I don't think there's really a 'why'?

Well, why is an important question. If you can ask something, how, when, where..... and why, then there is a reason to it. Why did the universe come into being and why does it work like it does and not another way....... Important questions atheists or theists alike should ask their selves.

PureX

I think that "why" is a legitimate question because the universe exists because there is order (limitation) within the chaos (energy). The order itself implies purpose. It would be irrational to conclude otherwise.

Quincy

I think that "why" is a legitimate question because the universe exists because there is order (limitation) within the chaos (energy). The order itself implies purpose. It would be irrational to conclude otherwise.

Exactly :) . Look at the fundamental forces of nature. Why are they there and doing what they do? It's one thing to know the processes they perform, it's another to contemplate the why of it. Contemplating the intangible forces of nature having purpose is the first step in starting to see Providence.

rexlunae

I think you could also say the universe might collapse in on itself too, I think they call it the big crunch?

Might. But the evidence right now doesn't point that way.

Regardless though, there has to be reason to why the big bang happened,

Is there a reason the wind blows, or a cause. I say there's a cause.

why the fundamental forces of nature work like they do and why even the stars die.

The former, at least, is an interesting question. However, at the risk of missing the forest for the trees, I'd say that we're better off trying to figure out what caused the phenomena we see instead of the purpose behind them, because the record is that when we look for the purpose, we usually (if not always) come up with answers that are completely wrong.

It's possible. Things may collapse and then bounce back to a new universe.

Possible perhaps, but that's not what the evidence points to.

I think we should only be concerned with ours though.

I don't think we'll ever answer any questions about the origin of our Universe without looking outside of it.

Well, I guess there is a better way to put it. Why does form have a beginning and end? Or even better, why does matter go through the processes that allow it to take form?

Those are good questions, and we're not going to answer it thoroughly any time soon.

Well, why is an important question. If you can ask something, how, when, where..... and why, then there is a reason to it. Why did the universe come into being and why does it work like it does and not another way....... Important questions atheists or theists alike should ask their selves.

Ok. But the more fundamental question is "is there a 'why'?"

Lon

I want to deal with this "having a relationship with Jesus" thing right off the bat.
Good, me too!

I used to think I had a relationship with Jesus. It was an almost palpable sense of presence I felt whenever I prayed or read Scripture.
Huge, huge difference. See, I'm married. I don't 'think' I got married once, I did. So you are exactly right, you never met Jesus. We can check that off of the 'things I've done/people I've met' list. You never lost your faith, you never met Jesus. It is really incredibly amazing to me that people get offended at this point. You, yourself, are telling me that He never existed, well, except during the time you had a personal relationship with Him. I don't even know how to carry on an intelligent conversation with you guys after this. I really don't.
You seem to think I'm as stupid, retarded, delusional, and wrong now as you were then but that you are no longer that way now while I am. Jesus couldn't be any more real to me or you. I deal in facts. A man walked the earth 2 thousand years ago. You can try and figure out who he was but you can't make that historical being disappear. Furthermore, why would you want to? What vested interest do I have in whether Mohammed or Buddah actually existed or not?

A little later on after this post, I read your 'fairy tale' ideas in this thread. Let me say this bluntly: I intellectually doubt what you are saying today more than I would have if I had met you as an apparent believer several years ago. Today you are no longer dealing in any facts at all as far as I'm concerned (if there is going to be mental discrepancy, it usually gets worse, not better).

Now I think that "relationship" means something quite different. For a relationship to exist, the other person has to actually exist and it has to be a 2-way interaction. I realised my "relationship" with Christ was just one-way and I was providing all the input. I would have to know what that person was like in detail so that they were real 3-D personalities, not just a character in a book.
I would have to see them in the visible light spectrum and hear them in the audible range of 20Hz to 20kHz.
Exactly. There is one very evident fact in your change: You changed. The information is the same as it has always been (give or take a few forum discussions). The only change is "you." The information about Jesus and other Old and New testament happenings hasn't changed for 2000+years. I'm not sure if you will figure this out, but it is all very much based on facts. You had an emotional ride that meant something to you, like about every other atheist I've met. It could not, in fact, have been Jesus. I know Him as He exists and I'm fairly positive and certain that you've never met this man.

Quincy

:wave2:

Ok. But the more fundamental question is "is there a 'why'?"

Great question. This reminded me of the fundamental philosophical questions. Forgive my waxing philosophical but some things need to be brought up. I believe these questions need to be asked whenever a good discussion on metaphysics occurs, or else it breaks down into "well this is my truth, it's better than yours" arguments.

Some of them are pertinent to the conversation at hand. Some, science can answer like

What is?
Where do we come from?
Who are we?
Where are we going?
What is knowledge?

Yet there are some that science cannot answer.

Why do we die (we know entropy as a process but why are we afflicted by it)?
Why are there things rather than no things?
Why does the world work the way it does and not another way?
What is consciousness and why did it emerge?

The most important question of all, IMHO is

What is Truth?

You made a great point, Rex about not being able to know without stepping outside the machine. I may get roasted for saying this, but we can't do that so there is no absolute truth, only theories based on deductions brought by observation. We are part of the machine and that is the best we can do. So all ideals are on equal grounds. Who, how, what, when, where and why are all equally worthy questions.

Now about the ideal of a creator, and I am referring to the unnameable eternal source that is a mystery, why discard the ideal when so many people of even disparate cultures have deduced it?

Is disbelief in a creator even rational or is the rational take that lies at the heart of atheism, to discard a man made religion?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
God would have to exist for me to experience a relationship with him/her. I used to believe I had a relationship with Jesus and the Biblical God but now I don't believe.

Then you admit you had no relationship with him since He doesn't exist for you, either that or you know He exists but willfully deny Him now because you do not like what He stands for.

You can say nothing about the quality of my beliefs, only that they were temporary.

Sure i can, i can read what all you've said in this thread. Where there is nothing there is no quality.

You cant unknow someone. You can deny knowing them, but still know you know them, but you cant unknow them. So based on your own words, you either never met God or you know you did but willfully deny Him now.

I base my thoughts on your words. You said your relationship was temporary, and then that it never actually existed since you claim God doesn't exist, cant be both ways.

Any other opinion you express is just so that my experience fits into your Christian presuppositions.

Again what i stated to you was based on your words.

I put my faith in the Bible. Some Christians helped, others did not.

First you said basically that your faith was based on other believers and now its faith in the bible. Faith in the bible isnt a relationship with God either.

You can know about God from the bible, but the relationship has to be with God.

The God of the Bible certainly is - anger, rage, jeaulousy. Occasionally the possessive love of a stalker or terrible parent.

Then you believed the bible had merit but never made it to relationship with God because you didn't like what the bible said or didnt understand the context of what you read. So you disguarded it all.

Reading the bible or attending a church doesnt make one a christian.

Having a living trust in Jesus Christ is what makes a christian. If you have never met Christ, you were never a christian.

So that you can put a label on me and compartmentalise and try to invalidate my experience? Don't think so. You can read what you want to about my experience throughout this thread. I'm not repeating myself unnecessarily. I'll leave that kind of thing to the gospels.

You invalidated your own experience, now blame it on me?

Also if you do not want to share and discuss "your experience" why are you here talking about it at all?

OMEGA

SPECTOX UK

What do you want from us , sympathy ?

I studied the Bible for 42 years and it says that you will be taught

the Full Truth after Jesus comes and then you will understand

the Big Picture and you will BEG TO BE A CHRISTIAN.

Spectrox War

Why are you choosing to impose this sort of extremist criteria on the question? It's like saying that a coin "must be either heads, or tails", when clearly, coins are both 'heads' and 'tails'.

A God who is less than all-knowing, all-powerful and all-seeing is an impoversihed God and is therefore a bit redundant.

Spectrox War

What the heck were you doing following such a God? :confused:

I allowed myself to be brainwashed. I thought that God would have to have some moral backbone and believed initially that the Biblical God satisfied this. But after a couple of months I realised the Biblical God was a vengeful unjust God in places and realised this God merely reflected the attitude of the men who invented him.

Spectrox War

But why would it matter if our creator had a creator?

Another question, anyone can field. Why does the universe consist of objects that are finite? How did they get to be finite and why aren't objects infinite?

It makes him an impoverished God and therefore slightly redundant. He's either completely in charge or not.

Is there anything that can happen without God's say-so?

Spectrox War

So obviously Christianity gave you something you sought, or at least you thought it did for awhile. Have you found that thing you were seeking elsewhere since?

He seems to be saying that you did not have the "complete and total trust" that you claim you had; that other Christians have trusted more than you did. Seems a fair point :idunno:

Other Christians trusted more than I did?

Let's take the story of the thief (or was it murderer?) who was crucified alongside Jesus. He had hours, maybe minutes left to live. He had nothing to lose by having a "death-bed" (or should that be death-cross) conversion. He also got to actually meet Jesus (allegedly).

Whereas I was not on my death bed when I accepted Christ, neither had I actually met him in person. Yet I believed.

And what did Jesus say to the thief? "Today you will dwell with me in paradise," or words to that effect.

What did Jesus say to doubting Thomas? "Blessed are those who have not seen yet still believe." So arguably I had much more faith than the thief because my life wasn't about to end and I had not actually seen Jesus physically. Yet Jesus seems to think the thief gets to heaven. That's not me saying that. That's from the horse's mouth.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Other Christians trusted more than I did?
There's no such thing as mostly trusting. It's rather an on/off position. You trust or you doubt God. You doubted. So yes, many, many Christians continue to "trust more" than you did.

The thief put his faith in Christ. He had nothing left to reserve, nothing to love more. And so Christ acknowledged it and the effect of it.

He couldn't have said the same of you. It's as clear as where you find yourself today.

Spectrox War

And do you think you would have described yourself as delusional when you were a Christian?

Yes. I think I was delusional at that time. And gullible and naive. And I had low self-esteem at the time.

If you were on a witness stand this is the point where I'd say, "So were you deluded then or are you deluded now and how can I trust the answer?"

Of course I could not prove to you that I am less deluded now than I was then. However I would say that when I was a Christian I did not process any data from the real world or investigate what science had discovered. I now have an older and wiser head. I am more skeptical.

There are two questions which would demonstrate how deluded I am compared to yourself.

1. Can donkey's speak in an intelligible human language?
2. Is it possible for a man to die for a weekend, resurrect himself and then fly up into the sky?

I would answer with a resounding "NO" to these two claims.

If you answered with anything other than a "no" then I would let the people viewing this thread decide who is the most deluded of the two of us.

I don't believe you did and that doesn't help you, since it underscores the absence of an unreserved faith. If the object of your trust didn't and couldn't fail you then it speaks to your will being absolutely at the heart of your apostasy. And that goes back to the problem of declaring that you trusted as any did. It doesn't add up.

I think I partly understand the problem I have with your questions. It's the emotive baggage with the words "wilful" and "apostacy."

When I hear the word "wilful" it conjures up images of me deliberately going against what is good and true so that I can go away and do lots of "sinning." That's not the way it was with me at all. I gained new information. I acquired new knowledge about the world and the Bible. And I made a decision based on that. I changed my mind. That's the nature of rational thinking - to go with the evidence, even if it's difficult and have to admit I was wrong. Imagine what it must be like for someone to be a Christian for years and then realise they were wrong. I personally know 4 people that this happened to. It must be horrendously difficult. The ego takes a real battering.

"Apostacy" in some religions demands the death penalty. This is a pre-emptive strike against critical thinking. Lots of religions have this in-built self-protection so that the religious "program" survives. Interestingly there is no apostacy in leaving atheism or agnosticism. People are free to think what they want.

I'm a Christian. How am I harmed by that fact? How do I harm others?

Apart from your occasional obscure debating style you come across as a decent well-intentioned human being. Many Christians I know are. Is this because of their faith or in spite of their faith?

If I believed that slavery was ok, that women should not preach, that people deserve to burn in Hell forever just for not being a sycophant to an idea, then it would certainly affect the way I respond to those issues. It would be harmful to society. This is why I think there should be a separation of church from state.

As an aside, implied profanity is a rules violation. Purely as an FYI. Else, I haven't heard my response to apostasy, as a logical problem for the person advancing it. But I have heard the same dog and pony apostate/atheist outlay. Much of it is warmed over Dawkins, who is a brilliant biologist but a horribly underinformed theologian, even from a layman's perspective.

I agree with most of what Richard Dawkins says, though not all of it.

Sorry, but that's just not rationally possible. You admitted God didn't fail you (which is reasonable, since he can't regardless of your faith or lack of it, as set out prior). If I have complete trust in your word, by way of illustration, I don't doubt it. And if you haven't failed me, done something to impinge on that, I should always trust you. Now with men that's a shaky or impossible thing, given I know any of us can fail. But with God, a different animal at the outset.

So even in your darkest hour, your faith would be totally unshakeable and you would have no doubts at all? Are you superhuman or something?

And that makes my case completely. Nothing happened. You simply chose to reject something you only just told me you had total trust in...those two are mutually exclusive.

I agree they would be mutually exclusive if they happened simultaneously. But they didn't. The two events are separated by time. Depends what you mean by "total trust." It also depends on your definitions for the words "trust", "faith", "confidence", "belief" etc.

Sorry. Didn't mean to. Page numbers can change with posts. What post was it?

I forgive you. Post 161 on page 11.

Spectrox War

Yeah I guess you are right those things are just too ridiculous to even have any truth behind them.

Since the bible is literature and in such there are turns of phrase, play on words, Anthropomorphism, metaphors, and all the normal ways of communication of ideas that are done in language through out history. So I would say that you are right a story with a talking snake sure must be literal.

But since you lost what you never had I would guess that you believe in evolution as though that is based on facts. And somehow less of a fairytale for sure.

I have only one question if the above about you is true. Where did the information which is contained in the DNA that causes the proteins to create the DNA come from. There is no natural process which creates information from matter.

Thus a talking donkey isn't that hard... and was the donkey talking or did he just think it was when it was God making him think it was to freak him out.

Okay then see you on judgement day I will ask about you so I can be there at your trial and hear your rationalizations for rejecting all the evidence around you. Good luck with that..:dead:

And there you have it folks! Some christians, when they cannot demonstrate the reasons why they believe what they believe, resort to threats - threats for which they have no good evidence. The God of the Bible would make a terrible judge of character. In fact he is so bad on occasion that I would say he isn't fit to judge my village fete cake-making competition.

Balaam wasn't freaked out in Numbers 22. He chatted back nonchalantly to the donkey as if talking donkeys were an everyday occurence. The only thing missing from this story is a green ogre and a princess voiced by Cameron Diaz.

In terms of your DNA question, I don't know the answer if there is one. There's no shame in saying "I don't know." You need to ask an evolutionary biologist. Dobn't assume Goddidit. That's a cop-out answer from ignorance. And even if God does exist, why does it by necessity have to be the Judao-Christian one?

If you're saying the talking snake is allegorical and not literal, were Adam and Eve (who appeared in many scenes with the serpent) allegorical too? If so, this presents a problem. Matthew's gospel draws a direct line from Adam to Jesus. So at what point do these characters become literal and not allegorical? Unless you're saying Jesus is allegorical too?

Spectrox War

Good, me too!

Huge, huge difference. See, I'm married. I don't 'think' I got married once, I did. So you are exactly right, you never met Jesus. We can check that off of the 'things I've done/people I've met' list. You never lost your faith, you never met Jesus. It is really incredibly amazing to me that people get offended at this point. You, yourself, are telling me that He never existed, well, except during the time you had a personal relationship with Him. I don't even know how to carry on an intelligent conversation with you guys after this. I really don't.
You seem to think I'm as stupid, retarded, delusional, and wrong now as you were then but that you are no longer that way now while I am. Jesus couldn't be any more real to me or you. I deal in facts. A man walked the earth 2 thousand years ago. You can try and figure out who he was but you can't make that historical being disappear. Furthermore, why would you want to? What vested interest do I have in whether Mohammed or Buddah actually existed or not?

A little later on after this post, I read your 'fairy tale' ideas in this thread. Let me say this bluntly: I intellectually doubt what you are saying today more than I would have if I had met you as an apparent believer several years ago. Today you are no longer dealing in any facts at all as far as I'm concerned (if there is going to be mental discrepancy, it usually gets worse, not better).

Exactly. There is one very evident fact in your change: You changed. The information is the same as it has always been (give or take a few forum discussions). The only change is "you." The information about Jesus and other Old and New testament happenings hasn't changed for 2000+years. I'm not sure if you will figure this out, but it is all very much based on facts. You had an emotional ride that meant something to you, like about every other atheist I've met. It could not, in fact, have been Jesus. I know Him as He exists and I'm fairly positive and certain that you've never met this man.

You are correct. I never met Jesus. Neither have you.

Unless you can demonstrate what "meeting Jesus" actually means?

If you have met Jesus, what was he like? Was he chatty at all?

Or is "meeting Jesus" more abstract, more intangible than that?

e.g.

1. When you read the Bible and Jesus' words do you feel a tingle or a warm glow?
2. Do you hear your own voice inside your head independent of the Bible? This is called thinking.
3. Do you hear somebody else's voice in your head?
If so, please seek professional help.

Spectrox War

Then you admit you had no relationship with him since He doesn't exist for you, either that or you know He exists but willfully deny Him now because you do not like what He stands for.

Sure i can, i can read what all you've said in this thread. Where there is nothing there is no quality.

You cant unknow someone. You can deny knowing them, but still know you know them, but you cant unknow them. So based on your own words, you either never met God or you know you did but willfully deny Him now.

I base my thoughts on your words. You said your relationship was temporary, and then that it never actually existed since you claim God doesn't exist, cant be both ways.

Again what i stated to you was based on your words.

First you said basically that your faith was based on other believers and now its faith in the bible. Faith in the bible isnt a relationship with God either.

You can know about God from the bible, but the relationship has to be with God.

Then you believed the bible had merit but never made it to relationship with God because you didn't like what the bible said or didnt understand the context of what you read. So you disguarded it all.

Reading the bible or attending a church doesnt make one a christian.

Having a living trust in Jesus Christ is what makes a christian. If you have never met Christ, you were never a christian.

You invalidated your own experience, now blame it on me?

Also if you do not want to share and discuss "your experience" why are you here talking about it at all?

All I claimed was I had a Christian experience. This I know. Now I no longer believe. It's really that simple. People here are trying to make something simple into something inordinately complicated.

And yet no Christian here has told me what they believe and why they believe it. They are just trying to tie me up into pseudo-intellectual knots. I have been telling the truth. My truth. What I experienced. Truth telling has 2 parts - a) Intention and b) accuracy. I have done my best on both of these aspects.

The bottom line is whether or not the Christian God actually exists. Anything else is just a red herring or a smokescreen.

What constitutes a True Christian? How do they become one, step by step? Do they read the whole Bible from beginning to end at a rate of no greater than say 10 pages a day so they can ingest the meaning? Then at the end of it they have to "meet Jesus" whatever that means? And they cannot have any doubts at all. Total absolute trust for the rest of their lives? The slightest flicker of doubt and that's it, the game's over. They must be gnostic theistic Christians.

I don't think many people would be saved under these strict criteria. Probably less than 1% of those calling themselves Christian. Maybe as few as 0.0001%. And this says nothing about the millions of people who would be unable to do any of this e.g. babies and children or aborigines in the Australian outback. Why did God bother to create the universe and even attempt a plan for salvation? What a waste of time.

Spectrox War

SPECTOX UK

What do you want from us , sympathy ?

I studied the Bible for 42 years and it says that you will be taught

the Full Truth after Jesus comes and then you will understand

the Big Picture and you will BEG TO BE A CHRISTIAN.

More baseless threats I see. It can't be much fun having such nasty views and living in a self-contradictory delusion.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
....Of course I could not prove to you that I am less deluded now than I was then.
It's more of a problem for you than for me if you consider it dispassionately.

However I would say that when I was a Christian I did not process any data from the real world or investigate what science had discovered. I now have an older and wiser head. I am more skeptical.
Interesting. But as I think I attempted to get at with you earlier (or it might have been bigbang :idunno:) many a Christian has and continues to do all of that without any impediment to their faith.

There are two questions which would demonstrate how deluded I am compared to yourself.

1. Can donkey's speak in an intelligible human language?
Who suggested they go around doing that?

2. Is it possible for a man to die for a weekend, resurrect himself and then fly up into the sky?
No. A man couldn't. But you should understand that neither of your statements reflect the narrative truth as related by the Bible. That you feel compelled to alter that context says something about your approach and more about the thing you mean to set out as a prima facie case.

I would answer with a resounding "NO" to these two claims.

If you answered with anything other than a "no" then I would let the people viewing this thread decide who is the most deluded of the two of us.
Then you'd lose twice. First because you attempt to reduce the truth to a popularity contest (which you'd lose) and secondly because you're less than objective in the attempt.

When I hear the word "wilful" it conjures up images of me deliberately going against what is good and true so that I can go away and do lots of "sinning."
When all it actually means is that you made a choice. Your apostasy is an extension of your reservation and will. Why you did it is less meaningful than that you did and what that says. Were anyone to tell you they'd adopted a life philosophy without giving it serious and sustained consideration I imagine you wouldn't be surprised at all to find that at some point later in their life they no longer adhered to it.

That's not the way it was with me at all. I gained new information. I acquired new knowledge about the world and the Bible. And I made a decision based on that. I changed my mind. That's the nature of rational thinking - to go with the evidence, even if it's difficult and have to admit I was wrong.
Thank you for setting out rather clearly the reservation I noted prior. That's not trust. And others have weighed and measured and come to God. And many who continue to weigh and measure the world about them with marvelously rational minds manage it without a cost or conflict in relation to their faith.

"Apostacy" in some religions demands the death penalty.
Which would be impressive in that circumstance, though no less errant as an extension or argument rooted in the notion of it as a more rational choice. But in the West it's no longer even a social impediment absent someone making it an issue among others.

This is a pre-emptive strike against critical thinking.
No, it isn't. That's just the suppositional arrogance, the vanity of atheistic thought in its premise. Do you continue to ask a person for their name once you understand what that name is? That is, it isn't irrational to fail to question a thing settled. And if you continue to question what you purport to have settled for yourself I'd suggest the problem with thinking, critical or otherwise, lies with you.

Interestingly there is no apostacy in leaving atheism or agnosticism. People are free to think what they want.
Sure there is. People who leave atheism and agnosticism get to hear people like you infer their irrationality or deterioration of critical thinking skills. In academic circles that's a real peer pressure. As atheists love to set out all the time, the lion's share of opinion in those climes is set as yours. It takes real courage to announce yourself one of the faithful, to risk the subtle and not so sneering it will invite.

Apart from your occasional obscure debating style you come across as a decent well-intentioned human being. Many Christians I know are. Is this because of their faith or in spite of their faith?
I appreciate that and I hope you understand my attack is on what I see as a damnable flaw in your thinking and isn't an attack on you as a human being. I suspect you mean well, but I believe your intentions are paving a dangerous and destructive path for you and, potentially, for those you might influence.

I've always been much as I am now in terms of personality. My focus has changed and I'm much less worried about things that once consumed much of my time. That is, the context of my life has been altered. I'm happier for that and grateful for the change.

If I believed that slavery was ok,
You do know that abolition was almost exclusively a Christian movement, don't you?

that women should not preach,
Been to an Episcopal church lately? Apparently not.

that people deserve to burn in Hell forever just for not being a sycophant to an idea,
Or, that people who insist on being separate from the source of the good find themselves precisely where that wish carries them, that as with the physical world we inhabit, actions carry consequence.

then it would certainly affect the way I respond to those issues. It would be harmful to society.
You want three examples of a society premised on a rejection of those truths? Stalin's Russia, Mao's China and Pol Pot's Cambodia. The death toll and human suffering that flowed from the notion that men are the sole arbiters of morality dwarfs the totality of religious abuses of doctrine.

This is why I think there should be a separation of church from state.
There is and I agree that men should be free to determine matters of conscience that don't impinge on the rights of others for themselves.

I agree with most of what Richard Dawkins says, though not all of it.
Then you didn't invest enough time in your theological inquiry and your rejection even on that less than committed level is riddled with error.

So even in your darkest hour, your faith would be totally unshakeable and you would have no doubts at all? Are you superhuman or something?
Superhuman? :chuckle: Of course not. But that has nothing to do with my faith in God. It isn't a thing I generate. It's a recognition of what I've experienced and know to be true. Like asking me if I doubt who my parents are on the worst day of my life. Of course not.

I agree they would be mutually exclusive if they happened simultaneously. But they didn't. The two events are separated by time. Depends what you mean by "total trust." It also depends on your definitions for the words "trust", "faith", "confidence", "belief" etc.
I think you can reduce language to a sufficiently vague animal that communication is barely possible, but I don't see the value in it. As I said prior, if you trust God then it isn't a matter of degree and where doubt exists that trust cannot. If you tell me that today you doubt God but yesterday you trusted him at some point along that chronological line the answer changes and at that moment your original declaration is logically contradicted, since you cannot trust and evidence a course of conduct that demonstrates you don't, that you want to assure yourself of what you're claiming to be certain of.

Post 161 on page 11.
Ah, okay. I think I've covered most of these pre and since.

All the religions can't be right. But they can all be wrong.
Or, all religions can be right in their premise of God and all could be wrong in their particular expression or altogether wrong in premise.

That's a bit fairer as an objective statement.

You can't define God into existence.
Or argue Him out of it.

For Biblical claims to be true, the God described in there has to actually exist.
It would tend to follow, yes.

The evidence for this is very poor IMO.
Which is why I've spent a good bit of time examining that opinion.

Why does God's nature necessarily have to be as you believe it is?
It's rationally inferred by creation and supported both by scripture and my own experience.

Maybe the fleetingness of existence is what makes it beautiful and important.
If you find futility beautiful and important you have a very different measuring stick. If you find that which contradicts your biological urge along with the historically evidenced desire of mankind for overarching purpose and transcendent meaning then I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe life is that brief interlude between two eternal sleeps.
God forbid. :D

Thanks. I'll take that with the intention it was given. I apologise if some of my remarks have seemed harsh. I just felt genuine frustration because I thought you were being deliberately obscure by trying to blind me with gobbledegook. I just think that our thought processes and use of language operate in different ways.
I'm a lawyer. I can get aggressive and a bit...but my intent is helpful and my concern for both you and others genuine. My life is crowded enough that I wouldn't attempt this purely for the experience of haggling over the nature and consequence of truth, as inviting as that might be.

:e4e:

Haven't had time to read over this so excuse any sloppiness. I'm in the middle of putting down flooring and handling a ten month old wunderkid.

Last edited: