I lost my faith a while back

zippy2006

I simply set out what I think is a logical Biblically-based argument why my faith was no less than two Bible characters who were in all probability saved (the thief and the Apostle Thomas). How can my former faith have been deficient? i.e. if I had been run over by a bus during the height of my belief in God and Jesus, why would God not have saved me? If he was interested in saving my soul for all time, why didn't he arrange for that bus to come hurtling towards me?

Maybe He has something else in mind. :idunno:

Have I found anything else worth following?

I got into some New Agey stuff a few years ago. I actually quite like it but I don't think it's the ultimate answer. Maybe there is no ultimate answer - and that is the answer.

Saying there is no such thing as Absolute Truth is an absolute truth in itself. So absolute truth must exist but to me it is the sum total of all the little truths and truisms that make up the universe. The pathway to discovering that truth is through science and reasoned argument.

Do you think science and reason will give you what you desire? Once you are the greatest scientist and the most reasonable man will you have the ultimate answer? And are all the poor and uneducated folks unable to achieve such a thing? Are they doomed?

:e4e:

Lon

I trimmed a bit off the top here:
I say again, what do you mean when you said you have "met Jesus"?
Well yes, but I asked what you thought 'met' meant. You might rightly say I have not 'met' my friends here online. You are probably right. Maybe that explains why you believe you are correct about Jesus as well. You said "No, and neither have you." You might be right. I guess I don't know what you mean about met. It isn't in the same conventional way we tend to meet, but I didn't meet you that way either. You are probably right, I've never met you.
I have not, in fact, met Jesus in the 'conventional' way, like I haven't met you in the conventional way, but I'm pleased to meet you just the same.

I've already described how I felt and how I behaved. Not sure I can add anything else.
Something still seems missing. Maybe it is just me, but I'm ever intrigued, like other atheists I've met, who claim to have been 'genuine christians' but now deny such a thing is even possible. Here is the kicker for me: They tend implicitly believe that I could be as duped as they were!!! If that isn't subjective and projecting...

And how would go about determining the truth of these things? Santa, the Easter Bunny and the likelihood that I am a real person who is speaking to you via the internet?
It is my opinion that such things take time. We are trying to decide the veracity of a person who is not here by conventional means.
He died, was buried, and rose again, so of course none of us knows much about that firsthand.
However we find what is true but hard to see by most conventions, must necessarily be then, by unconventional means, right? That isn't to say completely foreign, just different than, let's say even scientific inquiry by the numbers and conventions...

So if I decided that unicorns live in a pyramid above my head, there's objective reality there that I could demonstrate to others?
Sure, but not like you think. 1) it is as objective as the concept and idea and if you are delusional, we have already taken a step past 'conventional methods' of inquiry. While I, perhaps like you, value keeping my feet firmly planted in rational ground, I do believe, in fact, that reality must necessarily move beyond my five senses. 2) And fretting about the 'demonstrable' may indeed be grasping at air. I cannot cannot cannot prove to a blind man that color exists. The other blind men that are skeptical and telling all other blind men that I'm a blind man too and cannot see has them duped. Would I think, told often enough, that I'm actually blind too but just have a vivid imagination or something?

I thought the world was ending in December this year?
According to which calendar? We all are groping a bit in the dark. The trick is to see which of us has atuned their other remaining senses to what is observable. I am absolutely convinced that God has to be observable, just that it also has to be somewhat beyond or conventions and I think for obvious and reasonable expectations. Some people haven't figured out how to use all their senses but even you know nobody knows the date or hour but the Father, don't you?

here we agree.
Yes.

I didn't utilise my brain fully or I hadn't developed sufficient maturity.
We develop over time but most of us are developed enough to know the difference between fantasy and reality by the time we come to God.
In some cases I might let this slide but I think most of us are beyond that kind of self-deception.

How do we go about determining what's likely to be false and what's likely to be true?
Part of the answer, only matters individually. If you had a bad marriage, for instance, or 5 bad marriages, you might be a person thoroughly convinced that marriage is an archaic and bad idea. It is my opinion we are messed up as a race and will never stop killing each other or letting each other suffer in indifference without an intervention.

The problem is the character of Jesus in the Bible is probably a mish-mash of real person and myth. It's difficult to know what to believe when none of it can be reliably verified. Any semi-intelligent God would know this when they hatched a plan to incarnate themselves in the Iron Age.
I'm not sure of your consistency here. I don't think you actually can intellectually allow what you've just said because your objections are nearly an impenetrable fortress.

There are, in fact, several promises God says are verifiable. One that all men know of His character, inately, by what has been made. Two, that those who seek Him will find Him, if they seek, not just with your five senses, "but with all your heart." Somehow your objections have to get over a couple of specific walls to allow for these.
Your comment demonstrates my point about the Christian delusion. The story is laughably absurd if we are to believe it really happened. Where's Eddie Murphy when you need him?
I did laugh at Shrek, but I got a moral point from it too...

Hebrews 5:11-14 talks about dangers of falling away from the faith so I'm not sure this "once a Christian always a Christian" thing is actually Biblical.
That is fine. I personally think the book was written primarily to "Hebrews" and so gentiles read stuff into it, but I'm kind of in a minority on that view.

I'm sorry that you lost your father.
Kind, thank you. I'm okay or couldn't have used this for illustration, but I think it helps with a discussion like this.

I did my family tree a while back and compiled information and photos of distant relatives. So I've kept some of them alive in a sense. I think it's important to honour your ancestors for what they achieved. Without them I would not have been allowed the grotesquely lucky chance of existence.
It is that exact sentiment, that I believe is 'in' us. Evolution can explain a few things, but I find it lacking in describing this incredibly tenacous set of "eternality" genes of ours. Instead of 'deformity' or 'adaptation' I also, and scientifically - rightly so, see 'reason' and 'purpose.' If we have a "god" gene and an 'eternality' gene and a 'I'm here for a reason' gene. Then there is a point in which that stops being 'genetics' for me. Where that point is for me and where it is for you may be two entirely different places.

What does it all matter? I don't think an afterlife makes life matter more. I think it makes it matter less. It cheapens it and turns it from something special into a drop of poison.
I think we already do that. Dreams are great things. It helps us set goals, etc. You and I, I'm sure would equally hate a life wasted.

I go on living because living today is better than dying. That's it. And I enjoy what I can. It's irrelevant what I think anyway. What matters is what is actually true. All the evidence I can get is that this is the only life I know I'm going to get and I will not sacrifice my humanity or freedom in deference to some God who is immoral, unbelievable and probably doesn't exist.
It is really hard for me to say this, because it doesn't quite fit: I think I'd live the same way even if God didn't exist. Now why it doesn't fit is because the 'if' messes it all up to where I couldn't live exactly the same way nor is it really possible to entertain that 'if' toward a reality. It doesn't work for me. I mean, good and well intentioned friends could probably talk me into believing I never had a father and made it all up in my head because I was a test-tube child or something. I have no idea what would cause that, this particular is far-fetched but what I am saying is, it would be genuinely difficult for me to 'stop believing God exists.'
There is too much that says 'He exists."

If I'm just a concept, write "Are you really there Spectrox War?" and I'll write something meaningful in response.
Yes, but if I have no vested interest in you, it might as well be as if you didn't exist, regardless. Admitting you 'might' exist when I don't want you to would only complicate matters. This, to me, seems my biggest frustration with atheists and I don't last long. Town Heretic comes from your neck of the woods :)

Secular countries (such as Sweden) have less crime, less underage pregnancies, less mental health problems, less human rights violations etc than more religious countries such as the US. This is a correlation although it may not be causal. But you certainly cannot make the reverse argument that religion is good for society.
Actually, they stay out of wars. That alone is a HUGE indicator. We can look toward other causes and effects but statistics are difficult to interpret. I don't always see the "smoking gun" everybody else points to. I'd be a lousy jury member because I actually have to see ever single connection leading up to an event, idea, or statistic. I throw them around (statistics) for fun but am most highly skeptical about them.

I think religion causes a lot of problems throughout the world. Also I think our debt-money system does as well. My favourite Jesus story is when he chased the bankers out of the Temple with whips - the only story in which Jesus becomes violent. There needs to be more of that these days! Why aren't Christians up in arms about the economy?
I don't know but it is still Christians, at least in the U.S. that give the most toward needs in our world.

Which is why I don't understand why TH is an intellectual. There's nothing in the Bible in praise of intellect. In fact in most religions it's usually discouraged.
I'm not in what would be called a Christian area of the US (I'm up in the NW). We have less than 3% church attendance here. I've had to think pretty hard. That said, I think there is a lot in the Bible that tells you to think hard. Jesus' teachings are full of thinking challenges: "weigh carefully for a wiseman does not build his house on the sand...you have heard it said...etc."

Spectrox War

Well I didn't apply a No True Scotsman approach. I didn't say you lacked faith, I said you lacked trust and that it doomed the faith you did have. No Biblical conflict there at all.

Why don't you try answering the post to you (213) instead of one to someone else?

But I see your point now - about your assertion that I did not completely trust something. It depends on your definition of trust.

Definition of TRUST
a : assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something b : one in which confidence is placed
a : dependence on something future or contingent : hope b : reliance on future payment for property (as merchandise) delivered : credit <bought furniture on trust>
archaic : trustworthiness
a (1) : a charge or duty imposed in faith or confidence or as a condition of some relationship (2) : something committed or entrusted to one to be used or cared for in the interest of another b : responsible charge or office c : care, custody <the child committed to her trust>

Is trust "having confidence in something as a result of evidence"? Can trust be betrayed if new evidence to the contrary becomes available? Could I have trusted the Bible to begin with without good evidence? I don't know. Not sure how helpful this line of "you had faith but you didn't trust" is?

Then you're right in stating you aren't thinking. It necessarily makes life matter more, your decisions having an eternal element to them, an actual purpose being served, etc.

I used to think that. If the whole earth was just humans and plants to feed on (and no other life), I would think that something strange was going on and a creator would almost certainly be necessary.
Because we are one of millions of species on this planet, all genetically linked, having evolved over millions of years, I just don't think there's anything special about us and no need for a creator.
Do animals have souls? Do human babies? Did homo erectus or australopithecine? Does a brain-damaged human have a different soul after undergoing a personality change? Life is a continuum not simple black and white ideals.

Pure emotionalism unrelated to a rational support. Here's an easy demonstration: why aren't you long dead? One supposes that you have had the means to shorten your life at will. And given you appear to believe that brevity sweetens the pot...but you don't chase death. You will, if you're reasoned, attempt to live as long as you can do so enjoyably. As with a penny, so with a pound, to borrow.

Brief, but not too brief. I have an in-built survival instinct. Whilst I am healthy and happy I don't feel the need to self-terminate. I just hope religious pressure does not affect my choice to do that and prolong my agony when my quality of life has gone.

What are you waiting for anyway? You should be eager to meet your maker? You seem to love him so much.

Why is it better than dying? But thanks for pointing out the splendor and sweetness of the atheist's lot. It sings. :rolleyes:

If I'm enjoying it (something positive) then it's better than nothing (zero).

That's not rational either. Sacrifice your humanity how? What freedom? Freedom to do what? The immoral God bit is useless. If He doesn't exist then the judgment is without teeth and if He does it's without merit.

Freedom to be authentically me, not unnecessarily restricted by a superstitious collection of what are essentially old folk tales that make no sense whatsoever.

If you think that the criticism of the Biblical God being immoral is without merit, how can you justify to yourself God's support of slavery (in any form), genocide, a rape victim being forced to marry her rapist (the worst advice ever written), being tortured forever for the "thought-crime" of reasonable disbelief? It's morally bankrupt and passed its sell-by date.

Smaller, more homogeneous populations tend to have lower rates of crime and universal healthcare will tend to reflect in overall statistics relating to health. Human rights violations? Such as? And what makes you believe that religion has something to do with it beyond your bias?

The research by Gregory S. Paul is quite illuminating. I recommend you read it.

Human rights violations - some Islamic countries chopping people's hands and heads off for a start. They don't do this in Europe.

I didn't say that religion was necessarily the cause. I said there was a correlation. So the reverse argument couldn't really be made by Lon.

You absolutely can and in any number of measurable ways, beginning with individual happiness. Atheists self describe as being less happy than their counterparts in faith. More particularly, those who regularly attend church services tend to give more of their time and money to charitable pursuits. The argument is easily made that in larger populations, where cultural identity is less uniform, religion is or can be the glue that binds the social compact together.

Where's your reference for this? You may be right though. Maybe ignorance is bliss? If I believed I was going to survive death I would be very happy. What evolutionary advantage might there be for a belief in cheating death? Surely contagious ideas (memes) can't possibly exist?

I think it's peculiar to imagine that anyone who loves God would be less than involved in understanding His creation. I was reared in a family with a generational commitment to education and culture.

Good for you.

Horsefeathers. Solomon is a study in both the value of intellect and the dangers of unrestrained power and vanity.

Is that the only reference you can find in praise of using intelligence? I don't think Jesus was too keen on intelligence - "blessed are those who have not seen and still believe." Not exactly encouraging peer-reviewed science is it?

It isn't in the Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim or Christian traditions. I can't speak to every religion though.

Not sure about that.

I'm going to be away for a few days so I won't be able to respond to any questions easily (if at all).

May I take this opportunity to wish everyone a very merry Spring Solstice (or whatever the pagan festival was that Christianity absorbed.)

Spectrox War

Maybe He has something else in mind. :idunno:

Do you think science and reason will give you what you desire? Once you are the greatest scientist and the most reasonable man will you have the ultimate answer? And are all the poor and uneducated folks unable to achieve such a thing? Are they doomed?

I think science and reasoned argument are the best starting points for determining the truth of the universe. I will never know everything, In the grand scheme of things I probably know very little.

Education to a better future is key. As is sorting out our corrupt and inefficient debt-money system. This is why I support monetary reform. The state (not private banks) should issue all new money (digitally) interest-free to the public sector and via banks to the private sector. Excessive debt causes poverty because someone has to hold it when money = debt. Government borrowing should be phased out. Banks need to stop lending money they don't have.

Spectrox War

Well yes, but I asked what you thought 'met' meant. You might rightly say I have not 'met' my friends here online. You are probably right. Maybe that explains why you believe you are correct about Jesus as well. You said "No, and neither have you." You might be right. I guess I don't know what you mean about met. It isn't in the same conventional way we tend to meet, but I didn't meet you that way either. You are probably right, I've never met you.
I have not, in fact, met Jesus in the 'conventional' way, like I haven't met you in the conventional way, but I'm pleased to meet you just the same.

Something still seems missing. Maybe it is just me, but I'm ever intrigued, like other atheists I've met, who claim to have been 'genuine christians' but now deny such a thing is even possible. Here is the kicker for me: They tend implicitly believe that I could be as duped as they were!!! If that isn't subjective and projecting...

It is my opinion that such things take time. We are trying to decide the veracity of a person who is not here by conventional means.
He died, was buried, and rose again, so of course none of us knows much about that firsthand.
However we find what is true but hard to see by most conventions, must necessarily be then, by unconventional means, right? That isn't to say completely foreign, just different than, let's say even scientific inquiry by the numbers and conventions...

Sure, but not like you think. 1) it is as objective as the concept and idea and if you are delusional, we have already taken a step past 'conventional methods' of inquiry. While I, perhaps like you, value keeping my feet firmly planted in rational ground, I do believe, in fact, that reality must necessarily move beyond my five senses. 2) And fretting about the 'demonstrable' may indeed be grasping at air. I cannot cannot cannot prove to a blind man that color exists. The other blind men that are skeptical and telling all other blind men that I'm a blind man too and cannot see has them duped. Would I think, told often enough, that I'm actually blind too but just have a vivid imagination or something?

According to which calendar? We all are groping a bit in the dark. The trick is to see which of us has atuned their other remaining senses to what is observable. I am absolutely convinced that God has to be observable, just that it also has to be somewhat beyond or conventions and I think for obvious and reasonable expectations. Some people haven't figured out how to use all their senses but even you know nobody knows the date or hour but the Father, don't you?

Yes.

We develop over time but most of us are developed enough to know the difference between fantasy and reality by the time we come to God.
In some cases I might let this slide but I think most of us are beyond that kind of self-deception.

Part of the answer, only matters individually. If you had a bad marriage, for instance, or 5 bad marriages, you might be a person thoroughly convinced that marriage is an archaic and bad idea. It is my opinion we are messed up as a race and will never stop killing each other or letting each other suffer in indifference without an intervention.

I'm not sure of your consistency here. I don't think you actually can intellectually allow what you've just said because your objections are nearly an impenetrable fortress.

There are, in fact, several promises God says are verifiable. One that all men know of His character, inately, by what has been made. Two, that those who seek Him will find Him, if they seek, not just with your five senses, "but with all your heart." Somehow your objections have to get over a couple of specific walls to allow for these.

That is fine. I personally think the book was written primarily to "Hebrews" and so gentiles read stuff into it, but I'm kind of in a minority on that view.

Kind, thank you. I'm okay or couldn't have used this for illustration, but I think it helps with a discussion like this.

It is that exact sentiment, that I believe is 'in' us. Evolution can explain a few things, but I find it lacking in describing this incredibly tenacous set of "eternality" genes of ours. Instead of 'deformity' or 'adaptation' I also, and scientifically - rightly so, see 'reason' and 'purpose.' If we have a "god" gene and an 'eternality' gene and a 'I'm here for a reason' gene. Then there is a point in which that stops being 'genetics' for me. Where that point is for me and where it is for you may be two entirely different places.

I think we already do that. Dreams are great things. It helps us set goals, etc. You and I, I'm sure would equally hate a life wasted.

It is really hard for me to say this, because it doesn't quite fit: I think I'd live the same way even if God didn't exist. Now why it doesn't fit is because the 'if' messes it all up to where I couldn't live exactly the same way nor is it really possible to entertain that 'if' toward a reality. It doesn't work for me. I mean, good and well intentioned friends could probably talk me into believing I never had a father and made it all up in my head because I was a test-tube child or something. I have no idea what would cause that, this particular is far-fetched but what I am saying is, it would be genuinely difficult for me to 'stop believing God exists.'

Yes, but if I have no vested interest in you, it might as well be as if you didn't exist, regardless. Admitting you 'might' exist when I don't want you to would only complicate matters. This, to me, seems my biggest frustration with atheists and I don't last long. Town Heretic comes from your neck of the woods :)

Actually, they stay out of wars. That alone is a HUGE indicator. We can look toward other causes and effects but statistics are difficult to interpret. I don't always see the "smoking gun" everybody else points to. I'd be a lousy jury member because I actually have to see ever single connection leading up to an event, idea, or statistic. I throw them around (statistics) for fun but am most highly skeptical about them.

I don't know but it is still Christians, at least in the U.S. that give the most toward needs in our world.

I'm not in what would be called a Christian area of the US (I'm up in the NW). We have less than 3% church attendance here. I've had to think pretty hard. That said, I think there is a lot in the Bible that tells you to think hard. Jesus' teachings are full of thinking challenges: "weigh carefully for a wiseman does not build his house on the sand...you have heard it said...etc."

Sorry Lon. I have to go to bed now. Tired. I will answer your questions when I return from holiday in a few days time.

Keep safe.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why don't you try answering the post to you (213) instead of one to someone else?
The same reason people take up any post, however directed, because I had an answer. I didn't tackle the purely personal, only the sort of thing that went as readily to our discussion.

And, in any event, I noted you mentioning me in the post I answered. So it seems fair on any number of points, from the general function of forums to the particular note to the reference.

213 point for point (by quote) I omit those answered prior:

4. For something material to exist, yes. But that isn't what we're talking about, which is part of the reason you can't establish that criteria that if met would satisfy you on the question of God's existence.

5. I thought you'd read Wilberforce. Else, that same law was fulfilled in Christ's sacrifice. Mercy replaced judgment and any number of judgments and allowances passed with their insufficiency.

6. Then you haven't met Anglicans, you've met club members. And some will say "Lord" who never knew Him. It happens.

7. You can find God in the only way that a man can know Him, but you'll have to set aside those riches that consume your heart at present.

8. No Christian, freed from the bondage of sin and its wages is waiting to die. He came to give life and more abundantly. And that's precisely what he did for me.

9. Their vibe or your bias? I suspect the latter given my exposure to the Body and Christ.

10. Rather, you failed it. You tried to follow Christ while reserving the thing you prized above him. That doesn't work and never will.

11. You never know. A seed can take time to grow and the onlooker in need of direction is as good as any a reason.

12. I responded to any number of your assertions and would invite you and anyone else in doubt to simply read over our exchange by following the links within them.

But I see your point now - about your assertion that I did not completely trust something. It depends on your definition of trust.
The sort of trust required of the Christian. The rest is an expression of probability. I set out as much when I noted the rich young ruler's failing. I also noted the mutually exclusive nature of trust and doubt.

If I say I trust my wife is faithful but hire a man to follow her and assure me then my trust is what? I cannot rely on a thing and not rely on it.

Is trust "having confidence in something as a result of evidence"?
You aren't really discussing what trust is, but what it might be founded upon. Evidence? Certainly. And there's more than one sort of that.

Can trust be betrayed if new evidence to the contrary becomes available?
You already noted that God didn't fail you. If your faith was founded in something else then it was misplaced.

If the whole earth was just humans and plants to feed on (and no other life), I would think that something strange was going on and a creator would almost certainly be necessary.
Because we are one of millions of species on this planet, all genetically linked, having evolved over millions of years, I just don't think there's anything special about us and no need for a creator.
Interesting. I find the entirety of creation extraordinary. So far as man knows it remains unique in the universe, speculation aside.

Do animals have souls? Do human babies? Did homo erectus or australopithecine? Does a brain-damaged human have a different soul after undergoing a personality change? Life is a continuum not simple black and white ideals.
Interesting questions. In order: I don't know, but I suspect that time not being the pointing arrow we perceive it to be (at least I think that's where the math is pointing us, along with certain curious biological experiments in causality) then it doesn't particularly matter; of course they do; I don't know why they would. And life is a mixture of both shading and absolutes.

What are you waiting for anyway? You should be eager to meet your maker? You seem to love him so much.
:chuckle: I meet Him daily. And I find my life wonderfully fulfilling, abundant. But beyond the selfish, there are people in need here, work to be done.

Freedom to be authentically me, not unnecessarily restricted...
Authentically you? What does that mean? What is it you imagine would be denied you that is worth having?

If you think that the criticism of the Biblical God being immoral is without merit,
I not only think it, I set out why.

how can you justify to yourself God's support of slavery (in any form), genocide, a rape victim being forced to marry her rapist (the worst advice ever written),...
I'll leave off revisiting the law and its instruction absent fulfillment because it would consume a thread on it own and I've already given you the broader answer.

being tortured forever for the "thought-crime" of reasonable disbelief? It's morally bankrupt and passed its sell-by date.
You mean accepting the consequence of being separated from the seat of the good, the light you receive at present just as the rain falls on the just and unjust alike but errantly assert that you generate yourself.

The research by Gregory S. Paul is quite illuminating. I recommend you read it.[/QUOTE
Just trying to get a handle on where you were going with this.

Human rights violations - some Islamic countries chopping people's hands and heads off for a start. They don't do this in Europe.
We don't either. Neither do American Muslims.

I didn't say that religion was necessarily the cause. I said there was a correlation. So the reverse argument couldn't really be made by Lon.
Not necessarily? Not rationally. And I answered you on your second mistake as well.

Where's your reference for this?
You can find it easily enough. I posted links to a number of serious studies on point. This is an old issue. I'll hunt the down again if you're interested.

You may be right though. Maybe ignorance is bliss?
So is knowledge, now an again.

If I believed I was going to survive death I would be very happy. What evolutionary advantage might there be for a belief in cheating death? Surely contagious ideas (memes) can't possibly exist?
The pseudo science of memes aside, of course you would. It's a superior context for the enjoyment of your life. And what's more, it's as likely a context as your own. Which is to say there's no factoring probability on origin, etc.

Good for you.
Great for me, as were the advantages of wealth, both culturally and educationally, but none of those determined my path. They only increased the likelihood of it being the road I actually traveled. At any rate, you seemed interested, so I obliged. :D

Is that the only reference you can find in praise of using intelligence?
No. But the one was all I needed to undo your declaration.

I don't think Jesus was too keen on intelligence
That's funny, given he went as a boy to study with learned men and chose a fairly bright fellow for his work among the Gentiles--not to mention being the source and seat of all wisdom/knowledge.

- "blessed are those who have not seen and still believe." Not exactly encouraging peer-reviewed science is it?
As previously noted, not everything of value is empirically derived. Look how many very learned men of our day are rather missing the point of existence.

Not sure about that.
I am. But I've read the Koran and much of the Upanishads, the Book of Mormon and a great deal of Buddhist teachings. If you want to lay the charge at their feet you're going to have to cite. I'm not an expert in any of them, but I'll do my best to answer.

I'm going to be away for a few days so I won't be able to respond to any questions easily (if at all).
There's an opening for a line you could drive a truck through, but I'll refrain and say simply, enjoy what I hope is a holiday and I'll see you on the other side...either. :D

May I take this opportunity to wish everyone a very merry Spring Solstice (or whatever the pagan festival was that Christianity absorbed.)
You may indeed. And a very merry sound and fury signifying to you. :chuckle:

zippy2006

I think science and reasoned argument are the best starting points for determining the truth of the universe. I will never know everything, In the grand scheme of things I probably know very little.

Education to a better future is key. As is sorting out our corrupt and inefficient debt-money system. This is why I support monetary reform. The state (not private banks) should issue all new money (digitally) interest-free to the public sector and via banks to the private sector. Excessive debt causes poverty because someone has to hold it when money = debt. Government borrowing should be phased out. Banks need to stop lending money they don't have.

I agree, but that doesn't really answer my question. We are talking about an ultimate answer/purpose to life. Do you think science and reason, in themselves, hold that answer? That if you were the most scientifically literate and reasonable man in the universe you would necessarily have all happiness?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
All I claimed was I had a Christian experience.
Define what a Christian "experience" is here.

This I know.
How do you know, since you say you don't believe now?

Now I no longer believe. It's really that simple. People here are trying to make something simple into something inordinately complicated.
Not really, we are just trying to get you to define your 'experience'

And yet no Christian here has told me what they believe and why they believe it.
Who have you asked what they believe and why and they refused you?

They are just trying to tie me up into pseudo-intellectual knots. I have been telling the truth. My truth. What I experienced.
No, from what ive seen "they' along with myself are trying to determine what you 'experienced' and what kind of church you went to, so we can determine what kind of experience you had and what kind of beliefs the church you attended taught, which you refuse to share and told me directly you wouldnt basically.

If anyone is not forthcoming here, its you.

Truth telling has 2 parts - a) Intention and b) accuracy. I have done my best on both of these aspects.

No you havent, i asked for some truth from you and you said this:

So that you can put a label on me and compartmentalise and try to invalidate my experience? Don't think so

The bottom line is whether or not the Christian God actually exists. Anything else is just a red herring or a smokescreen.

How could you have been a 'christian' and not know the answer to that?

What constitutes a True Christian? How do they become one, step by step? Do they read the whole Bible from beginning to end at a rate of no greater than say 10 pages a day so they can ingest the meaning? Then at the end of it they have to "meet Jesus" whatever that means? And they cannot have any doubts at all. Total absolute trust for the rest of their lives? The slightest flicker of doubt and that's it, the game's over. They must be gnostic theistic Christians.

Romans 10:9-10

I don't think many people would be saved under these strict criteria. Probably less than 1% of those calling themselves Christian. Maybe as few as 0.0001%. And this says nothing about the millions of people who would be unable to do any of this e.g. babies and children or aborigines in the Australian outback. Why did God bother to create the universe and even attempt a plan for salvation? What a waste of time.

For fellowship and love. Love isn't forced which is why you are able to reject him.

You skipped a lot of my post, want to go back and try again, or will you quote this whole thing too and gloss over it?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
spetrox war said:
Your comment demonstrates my point about the Christian delusion. The story is laughably absurd if we are to believe it really happened. Where's Eddie Murphy when you need him?

Why is it laughably absurd? Because donkeys don't have vocal cords? God can improvise the air passages of the donkey temporarily to produce speech. It is called a miracle. You don't believe in God, therefore it absurd for miracles to happen in your mind. If you believe in God, a miracle is not absurd. Why would it be?

alwight

I worship a God Who created the entire universe out of nothing. Making a donkey talk is child's play for Him.
If you think that talking snakes and donkeys or even crickets have a place in the wonder and vastness of the universe then why not?

jiminy%20cricket.jpg

Spectrox War

Yes.

I've managed to find a bit of time to reply before I vanish. But it'll be brief.

I think people can "meet" on the internet although you don't know who you're talking to. People tend to be much more honest on an anonymous forum than in real life because they don't fear reprisals as much or any reprisals might be at worst a written rebuke or being banned from the site. Consequences in real life can be much worse than that.

But I couldn't extend the word "meet" to a character in an old book especially if it may not be a true and accurate account of what actually transpired.

Based on my own experience, I do believe Christians are as duped as I was. It's reasonable for me to think that considering the process I went through. Either that, or Christians have got it right, they really are having a genuine relationship with Jesus and I could not participate because I could not cope with cognitive dissonance. The classic response is "oh you were wilful and decided to reject the source of goodness and light." I think it's a disingenuous argument that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If God really does operate this way (he chooses who he loves, like Jacob over Esau) then he isn't worthy of worship anyway. I want nothing to do with him.

Why would God operate in an unconventional way? Is this a good way of attracting honest consistent souls to him?

You could demonstrate to a blind man that you could see by warning him of something he is about to stumble against. He can check this by touch to gain confidence that you are speaking the truth. In terms of colours, not sure if it's possible to convince a blind man of that.

Mayan calendar. But I think it's rubbish.

I'm not sure what seeking with my heart means. My heart pumps blood around my body.

If you find an eternality gene or an ultimate purpose gene then let me know.

You said: I think I'd live the same way even if God didn't exist.

Then I submit to you taht you have a useless God. Anything good about you comes from you not the Bible (which contains horrendous morals, even from Jesus).

Atheism is simply a response to a claim that God or Gods exist. It is the null hypothesis. Atheists have varying subset beliefs within that. If they have had Christianity rammed down their throats in the past, then they are probably anti-Christian like me because they understand the harm that can come from such a belief.

Believe it or not I still like some of the Bible. But most of it I see as either dangerous or just irrelevant to the 21st century.

Last edited:

Spectrox War

I agree, but that doesn't really answer my question. We are talking about an ultimate answer/purpose to life. Do you think science and reason, in themselves, hold that answer? That if you were the most scientifically literate and reasonable man in the universe you would necessarily have all happiness?

I think you are right. Science and reasoning alone don't make me happy. They are just a good foundation for truth. Better than some arbitrary faith.

I enjoy lots of things in my life: the love of my family, the smile of a child, a job well done, helping somebody out, romance and sex, eating a tasty meal, being creative, having a laugh, listening to music, writing on a forum (not this one, this one is painful).

Quincy

It makes him an impoverished God and therefore slightly redundant. He's either completely in charge or not.

The creator would have still been powerful enough to create our universe, in all its laws, processes and resulting material. Hardly impoverished as far as potency goes. So he would have been in charge of this design.

Is there anything that can happen without God's say-so?

Everything works within parameters and is governed by physical laws. You have to establish a better ideal for why laws emerged other than them being the intent of a creator's efficacy, before you can discard the idea of a creator. Is there one?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
If you think that talking snakes and donkeys or even crickets have a place in the wonder and vastness of the universe then why not?

jiminy%20cricket.jpg

What do you mean have a place? Any purpose of God in the universe has a place. Indeed God is THE purpose of the universe. Talking serpents(not snakes) and talking donkeys served God's purposes at particular places and times. If a talking donkey isn't wondrous, what is? What does it matter how vast the universe is to the issue at hand?

PureX

Everything works within parameters and is governed by physical laws. You have to establish a better ideal for why laws emerged other than them being the intent of a creator's efficacy, before you can discard the idea of a creator. Is there one?
That's a very nice bit of reasoning, there, my friend.

rexlunae

Everything works within parameters and is governed by physical laws. You have to establish a better ideal for why laws emerged other than them being the intent of a creator's efficacy, before you can discard the idea of a creator.

Except that's really just god-of-the gaps.

Spectrox War

The sort of trust required of the Christian. The rest is an expression of probability. I set out as much when I noted the rich young ruler's failing. I also noted the mutually exclusive nature of trust and doubt.

I agree if they occur simultaneously. If they are separated by time then they are not mutually exclusive, especially if new information comes to light which gives me reason to doubt and therfore stop trusting. What's so difficult to understand here? This is all irrelevant to what I believed at the time.

Interesting questions. In order: I don't know, but I suspect that time not being the pointing arrow we perceive it to be (at least I think that's where the math is pointing us, along with certain curious biological experiments in causality) then it doesn't particularly matter; of course they do; I don't know why they would. And life is a mixture of both shading and absolutes.

Australopithecines and homo erectus were ancient hominids that lived millions of years ago. They possessed both ape-like and human-like characteristics. Their skeletons reveal their brain capacity to body surface area ratio was inbetween that of chimps and humans. They walked upright and had lower jaws and pelvises and feet that were more like modern humans than chimps.

These may not be our direct ancestors but we may share a common ancestor with them.

Authentically you? What does that mean? What is it you imagine would be denied you that is worth having?

Freedom to make mistakes without a sword of damacles threat hanging over me. Christians keep telling me it's there.

I'll leave off revisiting the law and its instruction absent fulfillment because it would consume a thread on it own and I've already given you the broader answer.

Why does punishing an innocent man for crimes of another constitute justice? This is a basic infringement of justice. You should know this. And please no special pleading because God says it's ok.

You mean accepting the consequence of being separated from the seat of the good, the light you receive at present just as the rain falls on the just and unjust alike but errantly assert that you generate yourself.

You haven't demonstrated that the Bible is that goodness you're speaking of.

It's all God's reality (assuming he exists). He can choose to make any reality he wants. He is ultimately responsible for the whole arrangement.

If there really is a heaven (a nice place) and hell (a nasty place), it is disingenuous to say we decide to go to either place. OK I decide I don't want to go to the nasty place. The ball is in God's court now. What does he do?

God comes across as a cosmic Mafia Boss. Is it God the Father or the Godfather? The arrangement he has going is as follows: God has a loaded gun pointed at my head. He says "Give me a hundred dollars or I'll pull the trigger! Don't make me do it!" If I refuse to give him the hundred dollars, and he puts a bullet between my eyes, you cannot say I have committed suicide.

It's as if God has chucked us into the river to drown. And he dangles the Jesus life preserver tantalisingly in front of us, saying "Anybody not want to drown!"

No. But the one was all I needed to undo your declaration.

You didn't undo it. You just provided a bit of evidence in your favour.

As previously noted, not everything of value is empirically derived. Look how many very learned men of our day are rather missing the point of existence.

I would agree with you here. But I don't think the Bible is the answer.

There's an opening for a line you could drive a truck through, but I'll refrain and say simply, enjoy what I hope is a holiday and I'll see you on the other side...either. :D

You may indeed. And a very merry sound and fury signifying to you. :chuckle:

Was that sarcasm there? Does your God permit that?

One question to you, in your capacity as a lawyer.

Would the 4 differing accounts of the resurrection be admissable as evidence in court or would they be thrown out as a confusing mess?

Different women present. Different numbers of angels present (have you seen an angel?). The stone already rolled away in Mark, Luke and John but in Matthew the stone is in position, then there's an earthquake, which the other gospels didn't report, and then we see the empty tomb.

I have tried to place these accounts side by side to figure out what was supposed to happen in detail and I couldn't honestly do it because it's inconsistent.

In addition, Christian scholars admit that Mark 16 (verse 19 onwards?) was tagged on later. The narrative stops just after seeing an empty tomb but does not show any resurrection. Matthew and Luke copied heavily from Mark (see Hypothetical Q document on wikipedia). This sounds so dodgy and yet it's the hingepin of Christianity. I think this is really sloppy.

And now, I'm gone... Byeee....