I lost my faith a while back

Quincy

Except that's really just god-of-the gaps.

I think that is what God has been to a certain degree, all throughout history. If you don't know, just say Goddidit. At some point, God went from being something ineffable to basically, being like your phenomenons like build-a-bear and Subway. Make it your way.

I just don't think science can explain the why to existence, however. We may be able to figure out how "things" came to be the way they are, evolution for example. You can figure out when the universe was formed, even where it was formed. There has to be an antecedent to it all though, and there lies God.

My point in all this isn't to say Christianity is right and whatever else is wrong. It's to say if the universe has a cause then it has a purpose and meaning. So, most people feel a need to give their life purpose and meaning and many religions fill that void.

I don't think you have to abandon science to keep faith in an archetype like Christ. They go hand in hand and it's people that drive the schism.

PureX

Except that's really just god-of-the gaps.
The "gap" exists. If the term "God" refers to that mysterious creative and sustaining force that fills that gap, then you are right, but "God" is, then, the legitimate term to use to refer to fill in that gap.

The argument is not that "God" fills the gap. The argument is with the assertion that the Judeo-Christian God fills that gap (or any other religiously specified god/s). The gap is a gap because it's a mystery. If the God that fills it is likewise a mystery, then there is no difference to contend with but the words. But when one side begins to define the mystery, and the other disagrees with that definition, then the contention begins.

alwight

What do you mean have a place? Any purpose of God in the universe has a place. Indeed God is THE purpose of the universe. Talking serpents(not snakes) and talking donkeys served God's purposes at particular places and times. If a talking donkey isn't wondrous, what is? What does it matter how vast the universe is to the issue at hand?
Talking snakes, serpents (same difference? :think:), donkeys, Jiminy Cricket, whatever volt relax, take a day off, lighten up occasionally. :e4e:

zippy2006

I think you are right. Science and reasoning alone don't make me happy. They are just a good foundation for truth. Better than some arbitrary faith.

I enjoy lots of things in my life: the love of my family, the smile of a child, a job well done, helping somebody out, romance and sex, eating a tasty meal, being creative, having a laugh, listening to music, writing on a forum (not this one, this one is painful).

Indeed, and I personally see God very clearly in all of those things. But regardless, these things which constitute the meat of life really have little to do with science or reason. At best science and reason will be secondary causes enabling or creating possibilities for these greater things in life, but are not themselves the things we seek.

Furthermore, these things tend to transcend the empirical. Laughing, or the smile of a child, or charity, or romance cannot be adequately described by scientific, empirical methods. It may capture some sort of descriptive element of the thing, but it cannot capture the thing in itself. The lover knows love, not the scientist; the father knows the joy of his child, not the scientist (the materialistic scientist will reduce these phenomena to levels that the experience simply refuses to be reduced to). And so we have, throughout the ages, the notion that the smile of a child, or the joy of music, are somehow transcendent things. That when we partake in such things we partake in mysteries which go beyond the realm of science and the empirical. Religion is certainly a manifestation of that affirmation.

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree if they occur simultaneously. If they are separated by time then they are not mutually exclusive,
They aren't separated by time. That or all you've said is they're mutually exclusive again.

especially if new information comes to light which gives me reason to doubt and therfore stop trusting.
Then, again, your trust was in something other than God, as I noted in my last. Your reservation and your faith was in you.

These may not be our direct ancestors but we may share a common ancestor with them.
Peculiar speculation that doesn't actually appear to be tied to my answers in the quote it follows...:idunno:

Re: sacrifice?
Freedom to make mistakes without a sword of damacles threat hanging over me. Christians keep telling me it's there.
Mistakes? A mistake is when I do something I didn't mean to do or the end result of something I intended is other than I intended. But in a more general answer: every action has consequence. Becoming a Christian isn't the end of error and failure and rejecting Christianity doesn't rid you of moral consequence.

Why does punishing an innocent man for crimes of another constitute justice? This is a basic infringement of justice. You should know this. And please no special pleading because God says it's ok.
Your answer is found in Romans 3:23-25 and 2 Corinthians 5:21

You haven't demonstrated that the Bible is that goodness you're speaking of.
I've been talking mostly about the error in apostasy and the experiential truth of God. If you understand who Christ is the rest has a way of working out.

It's all God's reality (assuming he exists). He can choose to make any reality he wants. He is ultimately responsible for the whole arrangement.
He's the source of creation, but responsible for my willful acts? I don't see how you can justify it. Does man fail at every opportunity to sin? Of course not. The same mechanism that sees us through the resistance of one temptation is present for all. We fail and the consequence, the necessary separation from the good that follows in consequence is ours. And so the need for grace, for a perfection wherein our imperfection is redeemed.

If there really is a heaven (a nice place) and hell (a nasty place), it is disingenuous to say we decide to go to either place.
No one chooses to go on death row. But they arrive there by making choices that see to it. That's how you choose separation from God/hell.

...God has a loaded gun pointed at my head. He says "Give me a hundred dollars or I'll pull the trigger! Don't make me do it!"
Rather, God is telling you that if you put a gun to your head and pull the trigger you're going to die. If you insist on separation from the good you will be separated.

You didn't undo it. You just provided a bit of evidence in your favour.
Actually, I did more than that. You said:

There's nothing in the Bible in praise of intellect.
A single thing that contradicts "nothing" undoes your point. There are any number of things I could have pointed to, but Solomon's celebration was sufficient.

I would agree with you here. But I don't think the Bible is the answer.
Of course you don't. You don't know Christ. Why would you find his word the answer? We differ.

Was that sarcasm there? Does your God permit that?
Sure. God has a remarkable sense of humor. :D

One question to you, in your capacity as a lawyer.

Would the 4 differing accounts of the resurrection be admissable as evidence in court or would they be thrown out as a confusing mess?
Witnesses differ all the time. It would be suspicious if they didn't. Ever play the game Chinese Whispers?

Different women present. Different numbers of angels present (have you seen an angel?). The stone already rolled away in Mark, Luke and John but in Matthew the stone is in position, then there's an earthquake, which the other gospels didn't report, and then we see the empty tomb.
Sure. People can witness a wreck and get all sorts of details wrong. But they rarely get the fact of the wreck wrong. Normally you'll find the truth by piecing the different accounts together, cutting out the things that aren't found uniformly and seeing what remains. In your example the uncontested agreement is in the empty tomb and, eventually, in the risen Christ.

I have tried to place these accounts side by side to figure out what was supposed to happen in detail and I couldn't honestly do it because it's inconsistent.
Doesn't seem all that difficult from my perspective. What troubles you?

In addition, Christian scholars admit that Mark 16 (verse 19 onwards?) was tagged on later.
Accepting that to be correct for the sake of argument, does Mark mention miracles or the identity of Christ? I believe he does. So nothing in Mark's understanding of the identity and authority of Christ is contradicted.

And now, I'm gone... Byeee....
See you later then...again. :chuckle:

rexlunae

My point in all this isn't to say Christianity is right and whatever else is wrong. It's to say if the universe has a cause then it has a purpose and meaning.

I agree with much of what you've said, but I have to differ here. Cause doesn't imply purpose.

So, most people feel a need to give their life purpose and meaning and many religions fill that void.

No dispute there.

I don't think you have to abandon science to keep faith in an archetype like Christ. They go hand in hand and it's people that drive the schism.

I wouldn't say they go hand in hand, but some people can certainly reconcile them.

rexlunae

The "gap" exists. If the term "God" refers to that mysterious creative and sustaining force that fills that gap, then you are right, but "God" is, then, the legitimate term to use to refer to fill in that gap.

On some level, "God" is just a word. But it's a word with some baggage, so I do not think it should be invoked casually or without consideration of the applicability.

The argument is not that "God" fills the gap. The argument is with the assertion that the Judeo-Christian God fills that gap (or any other religiously specified god/s). The gap is a gap because it's a mystery. If the God that fills it is likewise a mystery, then there is no difference to contend with but the words. But when one side begins to define the mystery, and the other disagrees with that definition, then the contention begins.

It's the religious that are eager to fill the gaps. I'm content to call them gaps, and not to make them into gods until we have reasons to do otherwise.

Lon

Based on my own experience, I do believe Christians are as duped as I was. It's reasonable for me to think that considering the process I went through. Either that, or Christians have got it right, they really are having a genuine relationship with Jesus and I could not participate because I could not cope with cognitive dissonance. The classic response is "oh you were wilful and decided to reject the source of goodness and light." I think it's a disingenuous argument that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If God really does operate this way (he chooses who he loves, like Jacob over Esau) then he isn't worthy of worship anyway. I want nothing to do with him.
There are two things going on that make this discussion a difficult proposition. There is no obstruction to dialogue, but there is for it becoming much more than that. 1) you state you are cognitively dissonant and 2) that you have a genuine perception of Him that prohiibits the bottom line reality in either case, right? In otherwords, doesn't it seem not to matter a lot to you whether He exists or not? I'd call that a double-impenetrable-whammy.

Why would God operate in an unconventional way? Is this a good way of attracting honest consistent souls to him?
You are writing your own script. This is an extention from that which immediately precedes it: That 1) you are probably an 'Esau' and then 2) that God and you together have decided which kind of data is "in" and which is "out."

You could demonstrate to a blind man that you could see by warning him of something he is about to stumble against. He can check this by touch to gain confidence that you are speaking the truth. In terms of colours, not sure if it's possible to convince a blind man of that.
Rightly said. In the same way, we "can" according to God, sense Him by the things He has made. Again, the point being God is an incorporeal existence (somewhat disconnected).

Mayan calendar. But I think it's rubbish.
Well, I'm not Mayan.

I'm not sure what seeking with my heart means. My heart pumps blood around my body.
Necessarily too literal, or too Christianese. Identifying with Christianity at one time, however, shouldn't you understand somewhat?

If you find an eternality gene or an ultimate purpose gene then let me know.
I have. I can't get it out of my head. For whatever reason, even a 'phantom' reason, it is there. Granting of course there can be such a thing as phantoms as personalities or things, something seems missing, sensed on many levels.

You said: I think I'd live the same way even if God didn't exist.

Then I submit to you taht you have a useless God. Anything good about you comes from you not the Bible (which contains horrendous morals, even from Jesus).
If you'll allow, too subjective. Way too early for assessment to go on, we have but postulations as to how this particular 'what if' can, does or will play out for both of us respectively.

Atheism is simply a response to a claim that God or Gods exist. It is the null hypothesis. Atheists have varying subset beliefs within that. If they have had Christianity rammed down their throats in the past, then they are probably anti-Christian like me because they understand the harm that can come from such a belief.
Imho, there is no such thing as an atheist. I can speak for myself, and say uniquivocally, I personally have no way to make such a statement truthfully. I don't believe any one man, nor somewhat collectively. We simply are not 'capable' of this assessment. Agnostic? Yes. Atheist? No.

Believe it or not I still like some of the Bible. But most of it I see as either dangerous or just irrelevant to the 21st century.
Bible as literature: I disagree, simply because I still appreciate history, fiction, and historical fiction from about any century. It has to be a personal and subjective disagreement to a degree but I 'think' if these have relevance to anybody, then they must therefore yet be relevant to the 21st century. I'm a firm believer that we learn from the past. I'm for more information to make decisions, not less. Granted we need to expediate at times.

Bible as Spiritual instruction: Well, obviously this consideration tips the scales, but my initial response was a baby-bathwater consideration.
Look at it this way: I believe by observance, that the Bible is the most important consideration between your and my discussion.

The point: simply that the bible-as-literature is an important and yet valuable commodity in the 21st century. It is still one of the most sold books year-by-year. I don't bet, but would imagine there is a copy at your house.

PureX

On some level, "God" is just a word. But it's a word with some baggage, so I do not think it should be invoked casually or without consideration of the applicability.
I don't believe that it is, by most people.

'Atheists' have a tendency to focus on theistic positions that are the least considered, and the most superstition based. And they tend to ignore those theistic positions that are more reasoned and experientially based, because those can't be so easily argued away.

Even in the Bible it is stated that the various terms being used to refer to "God" are just words, and that the reality these words refer to is a mystery beyond the grasp of any human mind or linguistic terminology. Unfortunately, many religious Christians forget this admonishment, and proceed to fill in the "God" mystery with superstition-derived fantasies of their own making, based on Bible stories that were not originally intended to be used quite that way. So that the "God of the gaps" that you are referring to really does exist. But the gap being filled in by human superstition and fantasy isn't the unanswered philosophical question of the origin of all being, it's the theological question of the nature of "God".
It's the religious that are eager to fill the gaps. I'm content to call them gaps, and not to make them into gods until we have reasons to do otherwise.
What you are refusing to recognize is that God IS the "gap". What you're actually rejecting is the insertion of a specific theological proposition regarding the character and nature of God.

zippy2006

Right. When you start blurring metaphysical and scientific lines you are just arguing in a roundabout way that God can have no effect on the world. Merely saying that "God does something" is not a "God of the gaps" argument in the relevant sense. As objective inquirers we should not reject God from the outset (or the supernatural). We look first to natural explanations, but we do not hold a bias against non-natural solutions.

I'm content to call them gaps, and not to make them into gods until we have reasons to do otherwise.

...IOW, we have reasons to do otherwise. :)

One Eyed Jack

I've always found the charge of Christians using the "god of the gaps" argument to be very curious. After all, it hasn't been Christians or Jews who have historically asserted such things as thunder, for instance, issuing forth from between the buttocks of the sky-god, or whatever. These are distinctively pagan notions. I've never understood how they got attached to Christianity in many people's minds. Comparative religion, maybe?

PureX

I've always found the charge of Christians using the "god of the gaps" argument to be very curious. After all, it hasn't been Christians or Jews who have historically asserted such things as thunder, for instance, issuing forth from between the buttocks of the sky-god, or whatever. These are distinctively pagan notions. I've never understood how they got attached to Christianity in many people's minds. Comparative religion, maybe?
I think that religions take shape among people who had previously believed something else. So that they tend to be 'built on' the remnants of whatever came before, just by the human propensity for habit, and resistance to change. So it's not surprising that judeo-Christian theology would have become entangled with the pagan ideas and images that existed previously. It's just human nature, I think.

One Eyed Jack

I think that religions take shape among people who had previously believed something else. So that they tend to be 'built on' the remnants of whatever came before, just by the human propensity for habit, and resistance to change. So it's not surprising that judeo-Christian theology would have become entangled with the pagan ideas and images that existed previously. It's just human nature, I think.

But that's the thing -- it's only entangled in the minds of those who have no experience of it. It's one thing to hijack pagan holidays and substitute something more palatable to celebrate, but it's another thing altogether to accept pagan notions to account for worldly phenomena that invoke the gods as explanations.

PureX

But that's the thing -- it's only entangled in the minds of those who have no experience of it. It's one thing to hijack pagan holidays and substitute something more palatable to celebrate, but it's another thing altogether to accept pagan notions to account for worldly phenomena that invoke the gods as explanations.
Yes, but I suppose that all religions are based on some human 'need to believe', paganism too. So when Judeo-Christian theology was forming, the images and ideas that people needed to were naturally folded into it. Judeo-Christian theology wasn't especially superstition based, but people remain superstitious in nature. So they held onto some of their superstition-based ideas and images and eventually these were folded in to their new religions. And even today, people still tend to be superstitious, and so they still tend to lean on those old pagan ideas and images for the same reasons people have always done so.

Human beings never live out their ideals with 100% accuracy. And religious people are no exception. A little paganism was bound to creep in, and is bound to remain an active element even to this day.

Quincy

I agree with much of what you've said, but I have to differ here. Cause doesn't imply purpose.

Well, you just have to use systematic doubt, Rex. I can doubt any and every religion. How do you know they aren't just a recording of a reflecting God? Doubt shouldn't be cast at just one particular ideal, while a similar ideal is held with certainty. I can doubt many scientific theories, especially ones in which the sensory data isn't present to prove it. I would need to see evolution happen in a controlled environment test to know it with certainty, for example.

We do know that things always come from something, however. There is never been an occurrence where someone witnessed some thing materialize from nothing. There was something before the universe and it had to be the universe's antecedent. So there you have a foundation for a creator.

Now here is the tricky part, the universe produces consciousness. Within consciousness we reason, we make decisions and we do things with a purpose. Anything that we do we have purpose to it. So why would the antecedent/creator be any different in it's actions? Why would it be bereft of reason and purpose if we possess those traits?

We are part of the universe right? If we reason and act with purpose, then the universe has purpose. Just a thought.

Dr.Watson

If this subject were reduced to a boxing match, your understanding within the academic community would have won the last two rounds by split unanimous decision and lost the preceding rounds handily by TKO.

Fixed it for you. Also, I think it's important to note on the time line when apostasy, and certain scientific en devour, was no longer was a death sentence from the church.

Memes isn't science

I never suggested that it was. It's simply a word used to describe a common and/or spreading idea.

and listens to people like Dawkins, who has only a half-grasped answer. :eek:

I think a problem that you seem to have is you don't give people like Dawkins, Harris, or Hitchens a fair shake or an honest listen. You are too anxious to dismiss them off-hand regardless of the reasonableness for which they make their cases. What is it, specifically, you think Dawkins is wrong on? Can you quote him and then show here his mistake? Can you do the same with Harris and Hitchens? Dennett? Kraus? What about Niel Degrasse Tyson?

Not all religion has the same response to homosexuality.

Yes it does. Homosexuality is an abomination. It is unclean. Show me where in your bible that it say's it's OK. Or that it's not sinful. And how do you rectify the bible with common sense and biology with regards to homosexuality? On what objective grounds can it be argued that homosexuality is immoral?

And bullying isn't a religious phenomena, it's a human one, found in every culture and among any significant gathering of people.

You missed the point. I haven't argued that bullying is exclusive to religion. However, I have argued that your religious belief and its history has painted targets on homosexuals for bullying and worse. Without vague religious excuses with regards to homosexuals, there is no objective reason to treat them poorly, or to believe they or their actions are inherently immoral.

Because it tells me that the critic is operating without a substantive understanding of the miraculous and its point. I'm not suggesting that God doesn't work the miraculous in any age. I would say that miracles had a particular point in Christ's day and prior. That's a long discussion. We can have it if you like.

That sounds like a lot of mental gymnastics and rationalizing. Sure, I'll watch you perform on this one if you are so inclined.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Fixed it for you.
In the sense that someone fixes a race. Sure. :D

Also, I think it's important to note on the time line when apostasy, and certain scientific en devour, was no longer was a death sentence from the church.
I think that would be lovely. And we could compare it to the response of atheistically premised communistic governments to the peaceful practice of religion. We could start with Stalin or go straight to the humanistic wonder of the Chinese treatment of pacifist monks. :plain:

I think a problem that you seem to have is you don't give people like Dawkins, Harris, or Hitchens a fair shake or an honest listen.
I've read a great bit of Hitchens, whom I admired as an intellectual force. His political commentary was particularly insightful. I attended one of his God debates and read God is not Great. I enjoy reading or listening to Dawkins on science. I read The God Delusion and found it and Hitchens' effort surprisingly sophomoric as theological criticism.

and regardless of the reasonableness for which they make their cases.
It was precisely the absence of this, the palpable contempt and emotional nature of their repeatedly less than objective attempts to frame religion in the worst possible and least reasoned and reasonable context, as though the entire breadth of Christian (to pick the principle target) faith were found in the huts of sheepherders and not as comfortably in the hands of intellectual giants of a number of ages that disappointed me the most. It is because their approach to the subject was even more markedly the thing you mistake my reaction for that led me to shrug the whole of their efforts off.

What is it, specifically, you think Dawkins is wrong on? Can you quote him and then show here his mistake? Can you do the same with Harris and Hitchens? Dennett? Kraus? What about Niel Degrasse Tyson?
I could and did when their respective tomes came out several years ago. I suppose I could question you on Chesterton or Barth or any number of additional critics of the atheist understanding and model, to note the sudden flurry, but to what end?

Yes it does.
No, it doesn't. You need a wider familiarity. Begin with native Americans. Now in Christendom it most certainly is considered a sin.

Homosexuality is an abomination. It is unclean. Show me where in your bible that it say's it's OK. Or that it's not sinful.
Is it a sin? I believe so. I believe the Bible makes that point. So are any number of things, from drinking to excess to cursing. And most people I know do any number of things that would fail the judgment of the law. And so grace.

And how do you rectify the bible with common sense and biology with regards to homosexuality?
Common sense is the very thing you'd eschew if it didn't suit your purpose. Or need I remind you of the litany of silly notions that were once a part of the common understanding? As for biology, what can you imagine it has to do with our conversation?

On what objective grounds can it be argued that homosexuality is immoral?
How much does a truth weigh?

You missed the point. I haven't argued that bullying is exclusive to religion. However, I have argued that your religious belief and its history has painted targets on homosexuals for bullying and worse.
I didn't miss it. I differed with it. You lay that at the feet of religion and I note that homosexuals were brutally treated under communist/atheist governments. It's a human response to significant deviation from the norm. On a secular level, it's the darkest corner of the ethnocentric principle in play, the disgust for that which is not only different, but so different as to diametrically oppose our reflection.

Without vague religious excuses with regards to homosexuals, there is no objective reason to treat them poorly, or to believe they or their actions are inherently immoral.
See, you just assumed a thing that only illustrates your lack of familiarity with sociology and human psychology. You'd think you might look for a larger human context first, to legitimize the criticism or, better yet, attempt to find it before coming to that conclusion. A wrong one.

But even a simple extension of your own construct should have led you to a different conclusion but for your negative fixation. If, as Hitchens and Dawkins suppose, religion is a human construct and there is no absolute moral arbiter, then God is nothing more or less than a sound we make, reflective of something in our need and nature. And it isn't going to be eliminated by crushing that sound any more than that sound created the nature.

Re: the larger invitation of Biblical context.
That sounds like a lot of mental gymnastics and rationalizing.
The other guy's beliefs always seem to when they differ from our own. :D

As to a discussion of miracles, who do you propose start the thread?

Last edited: