Homosexuality selected because of societal function

glassjester

I might wonder if it was more that they chose not to act on their orientation, not that they changed their orientation - but I certainly wouldn't be presuming to know.

Yet people have claimed this.

In every possible direction - gay to straight, straight to gay, and everything in between.

According to the American Psychiatric Association: "Some people believe that sexual orientation is innate and fixed; however, sexual orientation develops across a person’s lifetime."

I don't know that they change orientations. Perhaps they're only changing behavior.

Still, people have claimed that they experience this.

So, supposing we do as you rightly suggest, and take their word for it...
How might that happen? How might someone's sexual orientation change?

MrDante

Come on. Just one example. :)

And which one is your most reasoned?

Yes? Let's see the end of that sentence!
Of course you wouldn't be done would you?

This short back and forth is a fine example of you at your worst. Unable to respond to a point you hurl insults and spend time and energy changing topics as a means of distraction from you initial lack of response.

So to put the conversation back on track. You have made it clear you don't like it pointed out when anti-gay arguments are indistinguishable from the arguments of racists. Instead to hurling insults at me maybe you should address the quality of the anti-gay arguments presented.

You then indicated your contempt when it was noted that Crusible's post:
A person has a choice not to pursue romance with someone.
You all act like a person has no control over desires, or must pursue all of what's in front of them to be fulfilled.

works just as well as an argument against interracial marriage.

Your response says that you don't disagree with the comparison so why the side show?

MrDante

Folks that will never fall for the LIE of a same sex couple loving one another will always be accused of such nonsense.

Same sex is way past nasty it is vile and UN-natural.

No, but the hatred you are expressing here certainly is.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yet people have claimed this.

In every possible direction - gay to straight, straight to gay, and everything in between.

According to the American Psychiatric Association: "Some people believe that sexual orientation is innate and fixed; however, sexual orientation develops across a person’s lifetime."

Could I get a link to that APA quote, so I can see it in context?

Still, people have claimed that they experience this.

And I'm not going to question that, only how it's presenting itself, both psychologically and behaviorally, and only an expert and/or that person can accomplish it, not the two of us speculating on an online forum.

So, supposing we do as you rightly suggest, and take their word for it...
How might that happen? How might someone's sexual orientation change?

I know what you're going for, and I'm not giving it to you.

So:

Do you think they willed it?

Or do you think it was something outside their will?

glassjester

This short back and forth is a fine example of you at your worst. Unable to respond to a point you hurl insults and spend time and energy changing topics as a means of distraction from you initial lack of response.

:confused:

Brother, truly I am not aware of the insults you're speaking of in this "short back and forth."

glassjester

Could I get a link to that APA quote, so I can see it in context?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_and_psychology#Fluidity_of_sexual_orientation

I believe there is a link to the full text in the sources section of the article.

I know what you're going for, and I'm not giving it to you.

I don't even know what I'm "going for."
I'm asking... how do you think that could happen?

Do you think they willed it?

Not in a singular act.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Thanks. There wasn't a lot more at the footnote link, but this is along the lines of what I've been saying:

"Individuals maybe become aware at different points in their lives that they are heterosexual, gay, lesbian, or bisexual."

Do you think they willed themselves aware?

You're trying to take something that's very complex and not even completely understood by experts in the field and basically want to bring it down to a matter of will. I suspect you'd approve of gay conversion therapy, but I hope not.

I don't even know what I'm "going for."
You want to believe that gay can be willed away. Am I right?

I'm asking... how do you think that could happen?

I already told you I don't know.

Not in a singular act.

Act is will. So there you have it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yes.

Remember, Selaphiel's claim was that, because homosexuality has survived in the species, it must have been selected for, and serve a useful purpose.

Follow?

But this line of reasoning does not work.
Not all traits that have survived in the species serve a useful purpose.

For example - schizophrenia, depression, pica.

You could apply Selaphiel's claim to all of those conditions as well.
"Schizophrenia still exists in the species, therefore it serves a useful purpose."

Really?

I read an article about Huntingdon's disease that made me think of this. Research is being done on what causes it and it's tied to a gene that actually has very beneficial effects on a variety of animals, including humans. The gene is the huntingtin gene. In the gene there is a sequence (CAG) that repeats. It can safely repeat up to 36 times and as it increases the person gets better results in cognitive tests but as soon as it goes to 37 then the person will develop the disease with devastating effects.

I am not trying to say that the same principle is in play in homosexuality or any of the disorders that you mention above but it's a case where something keeps happening despite its adverse effects on the fitness of an individual and even on their circle of friends/family.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Do we not choose our sexual partner?

I cannot agree that a man chooses a woman to love, but does not choose to love a woman.

Of course we choose a partner, and we choose to be with a male or female. However, I think we choose one of those out of a foundational attraction rather than choosing male/female because you decide to be attracted to one of the genders.