Homosexuality selected because of societal function

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Of course, I would say that happens gradually, as a result of choices made by the people in the relationship.
Choosing to prioritize the relationship, and remain committed is indeed something that must be willed.

Do you know this from experience? Because again, you can't know what it's like for someone else to fall out of love any more than you'd know what it's like for them to fall in love.

And choosing to remain committed is an act of will, but you're conflating that with falling out of love. You have two things: the falling out of love, and the decision as to what to do about it.

Generally, no.
Though some people do have that experience.

Why do you think it's "generally, no?"

glassjester

Well no, I wasn't talking about love at first sight anyway but rather the lack of any conscious choice where it comes to having those feelings. I would say it's more attraction at first sight in general but I'm not going to knock the idea of it being possible.

Thanks for clarifying.

What you suggest is that people can somehow, by act of will fall in love and presumably (if you're consistent) fall out of love also.

Not by a single act, but essentially, yes.

Doesn't work that way. Most of us aren't automatons who can control our feelings as if flipping a switch or circuit on and off...

Well... an automaton, by definition, has no will. It can't control anything.

I am not suggesting that we turn our feeling of being in love on and off at will.
I am saying that being in love happens as a result of what we choose to do (ie, repeatedly interacting with a person, engaging someone in personal conversation).

glassjester

Do you know this from experience? Because again, you can't know what it's like for someone else to fall out of love any more than you'd know what it's like for them to fall in love.

Yes.
Every day I choose to act lovingly toward my wife.
She chooses every day to act lovingly toward me.
Those small, but daily choices affect how we feel.

They keep us in love.

And choosing to remain committed is an act of will, but you're conflating that with falling out of love. You have two things: the falling out of love, and the decision as to what to do about it.

If I decided not to act on my commitment to act lovingly toward my wife, to not seek her good in the things I do, then that daily decision would gradually erode our love.

My choices would lead to us falling out of love.

That commitment, as you said, is an act of the will.
Deciding each day to uphold and act upon that commitment, is an act of will.

And those decisions keep us in love.

Why do you think it's "generally, no?"

But some do, right?

Maybe...

They don't believe it's possible.
Or they don't want to.
Or they believe it would be morally wrong to try to change their sexual orientation.
Or they are disgusted by the idea.
Or they have made a commitment to a romantic partner, and choose to honor the commitment.

I'm sure there's many other reasons.

Same reasons heterosexual people generally don't turn gay.
But some do, right?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yes.
Every day I choose to act lovingly toward my wife.
She chooses every day to act lovingly toward me.
Those small, but daily choices affect how we feel.

They keep us in love.

The question is do you know what it's like to fall out of love, not what to you do to make sure that doesn't happen.

If I decided not to act on my commitment to act lovingly toward my wife, to not seek her good in the things I do, then that daily decision would gradually erode our love.

My choices would lead to us falling out of love.
That commitment, as you said, is an act of the will.
Deciding each day to uphold and act upon that commitment, is an act of will.

So you don't know what it's like to fall out of love, unless you fell out of love with someone else prior to your marriage. And again, that's just a question about your subjective experience, because whether you have or not, you can't know what it's like for someone else. And falling out of love is separate from any action you take to rectify it.

But some do, right?

I don't know. Perhaps they stop acting on it. But as you know, that's not the same thing. Which I keep repeating...

Maybe...

They don't believe it's possible.
Or they don't want to.
Or they believe it would be morally wrong to try to change their sexual orientation.
Or they are disgusted by the idea.
Or they have made a commitment to a romantic partner, and choose to honor the commitment.

I'm sure there's many other reasons.

Same reasons heterosexual people generally don't turn gay.
But some do, right?

You're mixing orientation with behavior in that list. Again.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That is what scripture teaches and what I believe. Read Romans chapter 1. Those who go against nature and never repent will spend eternity in hell.

I didn't ask you about the scriptures, or about hell.

I asked you how you know same sex is NOT about love, it's about lust?

dodge

Selaphiel;4780728]First off, what do you know about my life?
Secondly, why do you assume this was a description of a same-sex falling in love? It wasn't.
Thirdly, why do you assume that this event was about sex?[/QUOTE

Finally. What a God you worship. If you worship a being that tosses people into eternal damnation for violating one his fetishes, then the difference between that and the devil and the choice of which to worship would have to determined by nothing except interest in self-preservation at best.

And you know this how? Hint: You don't

1st. God throws no one in hell. Folks send themselves there when they deny God, nature, and violate their own conscience to commit abomination.

2nd. What you call a fetish God calls abomination.

3RD. SAME SEX IS NOT ABOUT PRO-CREATION IT IS ALL ABOUT ONE PLEASING THEM SELF, and not only is it nasty it it vile and abomination.

Last edited:

MrDante

IS your sex life worth spending eternity in hell ?

Same sex is NOT about love it is about lust.

What utter nonsense. By dismissing the idea that an entire minority does not experience love is nothing more than an attempt on your part to make that minority less than human.
When you do such a thing you only show that it is you who doesn't know love.

MrDante

Thanks!
I'm partial to that one, too.

Which one comes in second?
Or are all the rest tied for worst?

Any of your posts where you are unable to give a reasoned response and you resort to insults would count...and there does seem to be a lot of them.

glassjester

So you don't know what it's like to fall out of love, unless you fell out of love with someone else prior to your marriage. And again, that's just a question about your subjective experience, because whether you have or not, you can't know what it's like for someone else.

So no matter how I answer, it doesn't matter?
It will be subjective and automatically disregarded?

I don't know. Perhaps they stop acting on it. But as you know, that's not the same thing. Which I keep repeating...

People have changed sexual orientation over the course of their lives.
From straight to gay, and gay to straight.

It's happened.
Would you tell people that say they have experienced this, that they truly haven't?
That they only change how they act?

You're mixing orientation with behavior in that list. Again.

You asked why generally people don't change orientation.
I answered with some possible reasons.

Will you try to answer this question?
How is it that some people do change orientations?
How do you think that happens?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
What utter nonsense. By dismissing the idea that an entire minority does not experience love is nothing more than an attempt on your part to make that minority less than human.
It's a false fake kind of love - the wrong kind; abominable

dodge

Do yo believe it is natural for one man to stick his privates in another mans fecal matter ?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So no matter how I answer, it doesn't matter?
It will be subjective and automatically disregarded?

I was simply curious to know if you had experienced falling out of love.

And no, your subjective experience cannot be used to define everyone else's experience. Surely you know that?

People have changed sexual orientation over the course of their lives.
From straight to gay, and gay to straight.

It's happened.
Would you tell people that say they have experienced this, that they truly haven't?
That they only change how they act?

Of course not. Why would I? That's the very thing I'm arguing against.

I might wonder if it was more that they chose not to act on their orientation, not that they changed their orientation - but I certainly wouldn't be presuming to know.

You asked why generally people don't change orientation.
I answered with some possible reasons.

Will you try to answer this question?
How is it that some people do change orientations?
How do you think that happens?

I don't know that they change orientations. Perhaps they're only changing behavior.

As I said before, you're mixing the two together, and they're not the same thing.

Kind of like you did on the other thread, with homosexuality and incest.