Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just FYI, none of the particular titles just mentioned there are spaghetti.
Right. The spaghetti westerns are easy to distinguish, both in their tone and in the frequently less than great voice overs. It's especially odd when you hear someone dubbed into English who actually speaks English but didn't, for what ever reason, do their own voice translation work. :plain:

With Eastwood I can think of three: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few Dollars More.

PureX

Right. The spaghetti westerns are easy to distinguish, both in their tone and in the frequently less than great voice overs. It's especially odd when you hear someone dubbed into English who actually speaks English but didn't, for what ever reason, do their own voice translation work. :plain:

With Eastwood I can think of three: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few Dollars More.
Yes. The "spaghetti westerns" were the ones filmed by Sergio Leone, in Italy (hence, the nickname).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes. The "spaghetti westerns" were the ones filmed by Sergio Leone, in Italy (hence, the nickname).
Didn't know that he was responsible for all of them. Interesting. Did he film the Man with No Name movies as well?

Wasn't Once Upon A Time In The West a spaghetti western?
You know, it would have to be, wouldn't it...Leone was the director. I suppose I separate it because, to my mind, it's so much better than what I normally associate with them.

Best opening sequence of any western. It's on par with the emerging desert scene in Lawrence of Arabia.

musterion

Didn't know that he was responsible for all of them. Interesting. Did he film the Man with No Name movies as well?

You know, it would have to be, wouldn't it...Leone was the director. I suppose I separate it because, to my mind, it's so much better than what I normally associate with them.

Best opening sequence of any western. It's on par with the emerging desert scene in Lawrence of Arabia.

Bronson was tough but Woody Strode looked like a dude you'd never want to cross.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is so good to see a Star Wars trailer where it is not directed by Lucas himself. I am referring to the prequels of course.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm hopeful that Star Wars will at some point move beyond the setting and theme of the first movie.

In the meantime, saw the latest Star Trek today. Great fun. Jack loved it and I thought it had the most even and entertaining tone of any of the reboot series. I hope it picks up internationally at the box office and Peg keeps at writing for the series. Very nice.

PureX

Wiki says he co-directed High Plains Drifter, and that Eastwood directed Pale Rider. But to be a "spaghetti western" I think it had to be made in Italy. And neither of those films, were.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
watched the latest bourne movie

:yawn:

left me hungry for a good action scene, so i watched this: :thumb:

great movie!

"And why can't I have bacon? I line up every morning, and I'm not allowed any bacon for my breakfast."

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I really liked 'The Bourne Legacy' with Jeremy Renner.
It was moving......fast.

me too - i didn't think it deserved the negative attention it got - I welcomed the new story line and the exploration of motives behind renner's character - the fact that he faced returning to being subnormal without his enhancement

kinda like "flowers for algernon" with a continuous chase scene and lots of explosions :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Saw the Netflix original version of The Little Prince tonight with Jack. Wonderful movie with a great heart. Great vocal cast and it's entertaining to look at...a quirkier sort of movie than Pixar would make, but with the same heart.

PureX

The Confirmation: not a bad movie, but the theme bothers me. Dad is a loser alcoholic who can't take care of himself, so his young son has to help him. I now alcoholism well enough to know how grotesquely it twists family roles in just this way, and I also know how damaging it is to the children of alcoholic parents.

This movie almost glorifies it. And that's not right.

St. Vincent: with Bill Murray. It's a very formulaic Bill Murray movie. It's exactly what you'd expect it to be from the title. That doesn't mean it's a terrible movie, or anything. It just means that there are no surprises. You know exactly where it's going from the opening scene.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Favorite comedy by decade

30s: My Man Godfrey/Bringing up Baby (tie)

40s: His Girl Friday

50s: Some Like It Hot

60s: Dr. Strangelove/Support Your Local Sheriff/The Americanization of Emily

70s: Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Kelly's Heroes/The Jerk

80s: Midnight Run/Ghostbusters/Trading Places/Fletch

90s: Groundhog Day/Office Space/Galaxy Quest

2000-2010: Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle/Zoolander/Bad Santa

2010- : The Other Guys