Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

musterion

Godzilla (2014)

Godzilla has been one of my favorite monsters since childhood.

I watch every movie about Godzilla, no matter how corny some of them are.

This one was great!!!!
I loved it!

Best looking Godzilla ever.
He looked MEAN!

And the creatures he fought were icky giant insect looking, and they fed on radiation.
The male looked like a mosquito with bat wings.
The female was twice as big, but had no wings, and very large crab looking legs.

There is one scene I have a question about, if anyone else has seen it.

Ask me, I bought that one. It was well worth seeing in the theater. Almost went a 2nd time.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
Ask me, I bought that one. It was well worth seeing in the theater. Almost went a 2nd time.
Oh good.

It was the scene of the bus (with the kids in it) on the bridge
Godzilla is in the water walking or swimming alongside the bridge.
Rockets are coming toward the bridge and will hit the bus ....... but Godzilla raises up so the rockets hit him instead of the bus.

While the other two monsters were stepping on folks and eating folks, I don't recall Godzilla stepping on or eating a single person through the whole move.
Now, to me it seemed like there were hints in the movie that Godzilla was actually trying to save people.
Not overtly, but at least hinted at it at times.

Did you get that impression from the movie?
Did it look, to you, as if he saved the bus from the rockets, or was it just a coincidence he raised up just in time to take the hit from the rockets?

musterion

Oh good.

It was the scene of the bus (with the kids in it) on the bridge
Godzilla is in the water walking or swimming alongside the bridge.
Rockets are coming toward the bridge and will hit the bus ....... but Godzilla raises up so the rockets hit him instead of the bus.

While the other two monsters were stepping on folks and eating folks, I don't recall Godzilla stepping on or eating a single person through the whole move.
Now, to me it seemed like there were hints in the movie that Godzilla was actually trying to save people.
Not overtly, but at least hinted at it at times.

Did you get that impression from the movie?
Did it look, to you, as if he saved the bus from the rockets, or was it just a coincidence he raised up just in time to take the hit from the rockets?

I hate to say I have this info in my head but I had a...strange childhood.

Godzilla originally went from the awesome force of nature/nuclear terror threat he was in 1954 to "friend of children" in a series of increasingly goofy and cartoonishly stupid movies in the '70s. I do not think anything like that was remotely the intent of this one. He (is Godzilla a he?) is simply what they said he was: THE alpha predator on Earth. Once he heard the two monsters communicating, he decided to hunt them down and kill them (just as they apparently killed another Godzilla whose bones were seen at the start).

The way I see it, he did not notice people at all. If he did, it was at best as gnats attacking him with puny weapons. So the bridge scene, blocking the rockets, was pure coincidence. Humans were so insignificant that he wouldn't notice us anymore than we'd notice ants while trying to fight off a bear.

And yeah, I don't think he stepped on anyone, but he didn't NOT step on anyone either. Meaning, he made a straight line for the monsters wherever they were and people had enough time to get out of his way.

The next movie better have more fights in the daytime, that's for sure.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
I hate to say I have this info in my head but I had a...strange childhood.

Godzilla originally went from the awesome force of nature/nuclear terror threat he was in 1954 to "friend of children" in a series of increasingly goofy and cartoonishly stupid movies in the '70s. I do not think anything like that was remotely the intent of this one. He (is Godzilla a he?) is simply what they said he was: THE alpha predator on Earth. Once he heard the two monsters communicating, he decided to hunt them down and kill them (just as they apparently killed another Godzilla whose bones were seen at the start).

The way I see it, he did not notice people at all. If he did, it was at best as gnats attacking him with puny weapons. So the bridge scene, blocking the rockets, was pure coincidence. Humans were so insignificant that he wouldn't notice us anymore than we'd notice ants while trying to fight off a bear.

And yeah, I don't think he stepped on anyone, but he didn't NOT step on anyone either. Meaning, he made a straight line for the monsters wherever they were and people had enough time to get out of his way.

The next movie better have more fights in the daytime, that's for sure.
You are probably right.
Just wishful thinking on my part.

musterion

Where the things that differ do - there a debate will be found - lol

http://the-american-godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/The_Godzilla_Gender_Debate

There is also where the name came from - lol

http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/godzilla.html

Don't need to look at the second link. Gojira supposedly meant "gorilla whale" or something to that effect. Others say it was the nickname of a big guy who worked on the set of the movie. No way to know what the 2016 monster is supposed to be.

As soon as I clicked the first link and saw it was talking about '98, I quit reading. The answer (at least in that film) is "female" or "hermaphrodite" since the monster laid eggs.

Danoh

Don't need to look at the second link. Gojira supposedly meant "gorilla whale" or something to that effect. Others say it was the nickname of a big guy who worked on the set of the movie. No way to know what the 2016 monster is supposed to be.

As soon as I clicked the first link and saw it was talking about '98, I quit reading. The answer (at least in that film) is "female" or "hermaphrodite" since the monster laid eggs.

Yep.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Every now and then I like going to the ranker site. It reminds me of movies I haven't thought of in a while. Just finished ranking my favorite westerns.

Top 25:

1. The Searchers
2. Red River
3. Tombstone
4. Once Upon a Time in the West
5. Shane
6. Open Range
7. Unforgiven
8. Jose Wales
9. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
10. Rio Bravo
11. Silverado
12. High Noon
13. The Ox-bow Incident
14. The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
15. Support Your Local Sheriff
16. The Big Country
17. 3 Godfathers
18. Stagecoach
19. The Magnificent Seven
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
21. True Grit
22. Quigly Down Under
23. The Alamo
24. Fort Apache
25. Gunfight at the OK Corral

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't see High Plains Drifter on that list (more of a ghost revenge story but still).
I've always had a hard time categorizing that one...maybe its the ghost story angle. The setting and period really feels incidental. Good movie though.

Pale Rider -
Not a fan of that one...or of most of the spaghetti westerns he did either, outside of that. :idunno: I'd take Two Mules for Sister Sarah, goofy as it is, or Coogan's Bluff over that one, but none of them are making a best of with me.

musterion

I've always had a hard time categorizing that one...maybe its the ghost story angle. The setting and period really feels incidental. Good movie though.

Similar argument over that as with Blade Runner's "Is Deckard a replicant?" Is the stranger the ghost of the Marshal? Answer to both is, yes.

HPD has the feel like it was taken from a Kurosawa film but I don't think it was. Would have made a nifty spooky samurai flick.

PureX

Not a fan of that one...or of most of the spaghetti westerns he did either, outside of that. :idunno: I'd take Two Mules for Sister Sarah, goofy as it is, or Coogan's Bluff over that one, but none of them are making a best of with me.
Those "spaghetti westerns" are interesting in that they're an amazing amalgam of "cheese-ball" Americana as interpreted by a foreign movie-maker, and spectacular scene-making that could probably also only have come from that same foreign movie-maker. They are both brilliant and almost carnival corny at the same time.

Great stuff!

musterion

Those "spaghetti westerns" are interesting in that they're an amazing amalgam of "cheese-ball" Americana as interpreted by a foreign movie-maker, and spectacular scene-making that could probably also only have come from that same foreign movie-maker. They are both brilliant and almost carnival corny at the same time.

Great stuff!

Just FYI, none of the particular titles just mentioned there are spaghetti.