Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

PureX

Does anyone have a good Drive-In Movie place near them? I love Drive-Ins, I miss them here
I guess, to be fair, I have to say that I live in a climate where going to a drive-in movie theater is only going to be possible about half the year. So around here, they were at a distinct economic disadvantage.

Danoh

The only movie I remember walking out of before it was over was Tommy (the pinball wizard) 1975.
I hated it.
Too stupid and too noisy.

Great song ("Pinball Wizard") by Elton, though.

Really captured the craze back then...

Ever since I was a young boy
I've played the silver ball
From Soho down to Brighton
I must have played them all

But I ain't seen nothing like him
In any amusement hall
That deaf, dumb and blind kid
Sure plays a mean pinball

He stands like a statue
Becomes part of the machine
Feeling all the bumpers
Always playing clean

Plays by intuition
The digit counters fall

He's a pinball wizard
There has to be a twist
A pinball wizard's
Got such a supple wrist

_____

Ironic, that last line :chuckle:

Come to think about it; those lyrics are pretty much a take off on a true classic - Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode."

Deep down in Louisiana close to New Orleans,
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood,
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
Who never ever learned to read or write so well,
But he could play a guitar just like a ringing a bell.

Go Go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Johnny B. Goode

He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack
Or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track.
Oh, the engineers would see him sitting in the shade,
Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made.
The people passing by, they would stop and say,
"Oh, my, but that little country boy could play!"

Go Go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Johnny B. Goode

________

"Things That Differ" - of such, is all things in life.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
Great song ("Pinball Wizard") by Elton, though.

Really captured the craze back then...

Ever since I was a young boy
I've played the silver ball
From Soho down to Brighton
I must have played them all

But I ain't seen nothing like him
In any amusement hall

He stands like a statue
Becomes part of the machine
Feeling all the bumpers
Always playing clean

Plays by intuition
The digit counters fall

He's a pinball wizard
There has to be a twist
A pinball wizard's
Got such a supple wrist

_____

Ironic, that last line :chuckle:

Come to think about it; those lyrics are pretty much a take off on a true classic - Chuck Berry's "Johnny Be Good."

Deep down in Louisiana close to New Orleans,
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood,
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
Who never ever learned to read or write so well,
But he could play a guitar just like a ringing a bell.
Go Go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Johnny B. Goode
He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack
Or sit beneath the tree by the railroad track.
Oh, the engineers would see him sitting in the shade,
Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made.
The people passing by, they would stop and say,
"Oh, my, but that little country boy could play!"
Go Go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go
Johnny be good.

________

"Things That Differ" - of such, is all things in life.
Johnny lives in TEXAS now.

When we sing it, we always add that at the end.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Watched "Risen" last night. It reminded me of some of the old Biblically inspired movies, like "The Robe". The story mostly trades on the Gospel to show us the conversion and alteration of a Centurion who gives the order for Jesus' death to be hastened. Fiennes is exceptionally good in his role, though the supporting casting is a bit uneven.

I went to Rotten Tomatoes to look at the ratings. It didn't do horribly or well. I was curious about the negative reviews among top critics.

Michael Nordine, Village Voice: "Despite not doing much more than preach to the choir, Risen is still more nuanced than the lion's share of recent faith-based dramas."

Adam Graham, Detroit News: "
Risen was never meant as anything but a tool for the converted. Talk about preaching to the choir."

Anne Hornaday, Washington Post: "Viewers already well-versed in the greatest story ever told might find their interest piqued by the filmmakers' unconventional take. It's unlikely, however, that "Risen" will preach to anyone outside the choir."

It's hard to find fault here...by which I mean it's hard to find any real criticism or fault in the film among most of the negative comments. They seem to be little more than thinly veiled personal issues with the premise of the film. And the cringe worthy trading on cliche is so predictably, sophomoric in pretense and so lacking in originality that...well, I suppose if they could do better they'd be writing film instead of writing about it.

Kyle Smith, New York Post writes: "A
low-IQ affair that supposes that the Gospels will sound more convincing if seen through the eyes of a skeptic. Instead, it seeks to improve the New Testament by putting a layer of Naugahyde upholstery on it."
Not that different, really. Low IQ? In what fashion? It accepts the narrative? Beans.

And that odd break isn't mine. The machinery put it in and keeps it in against any effort to correct...which is odd.

Richard Roeper, Chic. Sun Times: "Fiennes sticks with the brooding, stoic performance, even when Clavius is undergoing some major changes. It's not his best work."

I think Roeper was simply looking for a reason to pan it. Most critics found Fiennes performance noteworthy. He was playing a subdued cynic, a man confronted with what he believed was impossible. I think he played the part well.

As Soren Anderson, Seattle Times, put it: "
Fiennes is superb, portraying a man slowly transformed by events that shake his beliefs about the world and his place in it to their core."

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
There are a few in Alabama, but none close enough to drive to that would make sense. For years there was one on the way to Gulf Shores, but it's long since closed and there was another in Pensacola, the Palafox, but it met the same fate. I hear they're gaining popularity again. I can understand it on the west coast, where climate could make the experience pleasant, but around here you'd need either necessity OR a mostly fall to winter showing schedule and how would that work?
I plan on going to Pensacola late next year, I'll stop by

musterion

Found a remastered edition of CITIZEN KANE today. Also WATERSHIP DOWN, which is okay but too grim in spots for the kids to see yet.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Found a remastered edition of CITIZEN KANE today. Also WATERSHIP DOWN, which is okay but too grim in spots for the kids to see yet.
Could be worse. My dad took me to see The Great Gatsby when I was a kid. :plain: That was a night to remember...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wal-Mart finally has the Blu-Ray of Jurassic World at $8.98, so I bought it and watched it for the first time. I was entertained. Going with the "never as good as the first" because we have already seen it, that is where this is. It is much better than The Lost World or Jurassic Park III. Which is sad because the novel the Lost World by Michael Crichton is much better than the movie. Spielberg went out of his way to butcher it.

I noticed they used elements from the novel in this movie. For those that don't read, in Jurassic Park, Dennis Nedry is seen getting money by somebody name Dodgson to steal embryos. He is removed from the Lost World altogether. Some of the ideas and personality are in the inGen security chief Hoskins. The film also works on character development. So it isn't like Jack and Rose in Titanic.

Yeah, I enjoyed it overall.

I don't expect The Force Awakens to be $8.98 at any point, but when it comes down from its loft this fall, I will get it.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Principal photography for the sequel to Blade Runner is supposed to start this month. Blade Runner is one of the best movies I have seen that isn't popular.

musterion

Principal photography for the sequel to Blade Runner is supposed to start this month. Blade Runner is one of the best movies I have seen that isn't popular.

Is Ridley Scott involved? After PROMETHEUS, I hold out no hope for a decent story on par with the original.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is Ridley Scott involved? After PROMETHEUS, I hold out no hope for a decent story on par with the original.

I will look for the link. It was with Jurassic 5, Star Wars 8, and Bond 25 speculation. I didn't even know they had plans.

PureX

I watched 'The Big Short' recently. It was pretty good even though it's historical and so we know what's going to happen. I was a little annoyed by how absurdly eccentric they made the characters. I have no doubt that the real people were somewhat wacko, but the film pushed that aspect almost to the point of disliking them.

The other part of the story I had a hard time accepting what these folks were so extraordinary that they saw the housing collapse coming when NO ONE ELSE DID, and yet they all seemed to have been oblivious to the possibility that when it happened, the big banks would simply lie about it, for weeks, while they tried to shovel the dirt under the carpet. I mean I'm no financial genius, but if I was going to bet millions and millions of dollars on against the banks, I would expect them to lie, cheat, steal, swindle, threaten and maybe even kill people to protect themselves when the crash happens and they have to pay out.

But, it was a true story, so I guess.

All in all it was interestingly different, and had an exceptional cast. Worth watching … on Netflix.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
I'm wondering if Independence Day will need its own thread with spoilers. I'm going to see it and it I expect it to be just as political as the first, and just as entertaining. Although if there is a "confused" tranny, it could ruin everything.

They didn't allow an American critical screening, which can be a bad omen, but the screening across the pond had them calling it a good popcorn yarn, in essence. Saw a snippet of it on an Ultra HD screen at about 65 and it looked great. Had most of the original cast and it would be difficult to write it worse than the first one, so there's reason to hope.

Watched it.
Cinema wise, it was like the first one.
Plot wise, it was like the first one ---- save earth from an alien attack.
But there is a plot twist in this one ,,,,
Spoiler
Earthlings team up with the aliens in the first movie to defeat the even worse aliens attacking earth this time.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
Godzilla (2014)

Godzilla has been one of my favorite monsters since childhood.

I watch every movie about Godzilla, no matter how corny some of them are.

This one was great!!!!
I loved it!

Best looking Godzilla ever.
He looked MEAN!

And the creatures he fought were icky giant insect looking, and they fed on radiation.
The male looked like a mosquito with bat wings.
The female was twice as big, but had no wings, and very large crab looking legs.

There is one scene I have a question about, if anyone else has seen it.