Christian Kids in the Public School

kalel29

BANNED
Banned
Would it be safe to assume that your parents are critics of the public school system, then??

My parent's aren't alive, so it would be hard for them to criticize the public school system. However, thank you for asking. Now tell me, do you know where Iraq is on a map?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Reality doesn't count? No wonder you think the way you do.
So it's a figure of speech you demanding not to be a figure? Is it that you simply don't allow figures to be used in discussions with you? Or just when you need to obfuscate?

Jesus could not have attended a "Philistine school", since they didn't exist.
I'm sure Philistines didn't have public schools even when they did exist.

Barbarian observes:
I know quite a number of committed Christians who work for various public school systems. And I must say, they are generally much better imitations of Christ than you have so far shown us.
Yorzhik said:
Do they warn the kids to escape the public school system? Or would they be Christians like you who don't seem to have a clue what Christ was like?
If that's your attempt to follow Him, I would have to say that you don't have a clue about Him. He didn't hide from the world; He went out into it and let His light shine in the darkness. This is one of the reasons why Christians don't hide from the world.

And you don't have to be afraid of it. Study after study shows that one's children, for all the rebellion they show still look to parents for their assumptions and beliefs. Even if they go to public school.

Have some faith in what you believe.
I have faith in what I believe. I believe it's not right to throw one's kids to the wolves. Wouldn't you agree with that?

Layla

If the people bashing Yorzhik ever met him they would not even think of putting him in this light. I happen to like the guy. :up:

I hope you're not including me in this. I don't think Yorzhik is a bad person, and I've made no judgments about his character. I've simply commented on his behavior in this thread.

Layla

First, it wasn't clear. I've gone over a few posts after I lobed my insult at him, and I didn't see it. I think he assumed we know. But even if he had replied with "my kids don't know any of that". That is another mature response. Boring, as boring as not responding to the barb at all (which would have been another mature response).

But you're missing the point. It didn't matter if the children knew it or not. I had no way of knowing to begin with one way or another anyway. The point was that there is one response that is wrong and raises suspicions of a deeper problem and he chose that response.What he really said was, "That might not be a joke. I might be guilty of that". And then becoming raving mad and refusing to get back on topic when those avenues were offered only brings on more suspicion. And every time he doesn't repeat himself he offers another tiny bit of guilt to add to the suspicion. Pretty soon one realizes that they can help this person to move one way or another off the fence. And that is something God prefers even if you wouldn't understand it.

I see what you mean a little clearer, thank-you for explaining. I still don't understand the necessity to joke/insult in this manner, but I do agree that PJ could simply have made a mature response, or another joke, but instead took it personally. Do you not see why he might take it personally, though?

So you think I have some pointless abusive crappy posts? That's pretty insulting.

Of course not, please don't generalise my comments like that. I just consider it a shame that this topic had to go that way, when there was plenty of room for intelligent discussion instead of back-and-forth of insults. I didn't intend to insult you, there.

That's the problem. You should see the difference between what I did and what PJ did.

I do see a difference, of course. Sorry if I worded that badly. I only meant to state that I'm not sticking up for, or defending PJ's actions, here.

PK did a great job.

Agreed.

Layla

Thank you for proving my point.

How does that prove your point? He made a silly statement in response to your silly statement. What evidence do you have that people who criticise public schooling have dumb kids? :squint:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by The Barbarian

So it's a figure of speech you demanding not to be a figure? Is it that you simply don't allow figures to be used in discussions with you? Or just when you need to obfuscate?

Speaking of obfuscation... I can see why you want to back off from this one. But as I said, it would have been better to use "publicans." At least they existed.

Barbarian chuckles:

I'm sure Philistines didn't have public schools even when they did exist.

Since they were literate, one has to conclude that they had schools. "Public" schools, maybe, maybe not. But that's not what you said, was it?

Barbarian observes:
I know quite a number of committed Christians who work for various public school systems. And I must say, they are generally much better imitations of Christ than you have so far shown us.

Do they warn the kids to escape the public school system? Or would they be Christians like you who don't seem to have a clue what Christ was like?

If that's your attempt to follow Him, I would have to say that you don't have a clue about Him. He didn't hide from the world; He went out into it and let His light shine in the darkness. This is one of the reasons why Christians don't hide from the world.

And you don't have to be afraid of it. Study after study shows that one's children, for all the rebellion they show still look to parents for their assumptions and beliefs. Even if they go to public school.

I have faith in what I believe.

You give the opposite impression. You seem to think your beliefs are too fragile to be allowed outside in the sun.

I believe it's not right to throw one's kids to the wolves.

My kids had a robust Christian faith, which wasn't shaken when they met others who had weak faith or none at all. I feel sorry for those who didn't raise their kids that way.

Wouldn't you agree with that?

I believe in making them wolf-proof. Works better. Unless you plan on keeping them locked in the basement for life.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Speaking of obfuscation... I can see why you want to back off from this one. But as I said, it would have been better to use "publicans." At least they existed.
No, using a figure is better.

Barbarian chuckles:
Yes, obviously.

Since they were literate, one has to conclude that they had schools. "Public" schools, maybe, maybe not. But that's not what you said, was it?
Ah, no. I said they probably did not have public schools.

Barbarian observes:

Yes, again, obviously. Because one trains before fighting, somehow the training portion is hiding? That doesn't make sense... the training is for the purpose of not hiding.

And that's why they leave the church over 80% of the time after high school?

You give the opposite impression. You seem to think your beliefs are too fragile to be allowed outside in the sun.
I don't know where you get this impression.

My kids had a robust Christian faith, which wasn't shaken when they met others who had weak faith or none at all. I feel sorry for those who didn't raise their kids that way.
As do I. I'd have to suspect that your kids probably have as muddled a knowledge of the nature of God as you do.

I believe in making them wolf-proof. Works better. Unless you plan on keeping them locked in the basement for life.
Why for life? Why not make them wolf-proof and then let them out? That doesn't sound unreasonable does it?

BTW, you make nice use of the figure "locked in the basement".

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Barbarian chuckles:

Barbarian observes:

I can testify to the fact that Yorzhik does not lock his kids in the basement, at least all the time, since they have come to my house without their parents.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

Ah, no. I said they probably did not have public schools.

I went back and looked. You said "Philistine schools." "Public", you added later, after I commented on it.

(regarding antiChristian claim about public school employees)

Barbarian observes:

Yes, again, obviously. Because one trains before fighting, somehow the training portion is hiding?

If you haven't trained them by school age, you are indeed "throwing them to the wolves", even if you keep them home.

Barbarian observes:

And that's why they leave the church over 80% of the time after high school?

If their parents haven't given them adequate grounding in God and His plans for us. The figure is way too high, but if you've done a poor job then your kids might reject your beliefs. Mine didn't.

Barbarian observes:

I don't know where you get this impression.

From your insistence that they are too weak to survive public schools.

Barbarian observes:

As do I. I'd have to suspect that your kids probably have as muddled a knowledge of the nature of God as you do.

They are orthodox trinitarian Christians. You're not the only person who claims we're "muddled." But you're the first one who claims to be a Christian.

Barbarian on raising children.

Why for life? Why not make them wolf-proof and then let them out?

I did. If they aren't ready to be in public by age 5, you blew it.

BTW, you make nice use of the figure "locked in the basement".

I wish it was. Every year we read about people who think their kids are going to be corrupted by the world, and lock them in the house.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can testify to the fact that Yorzhik does not lock his kids in the basement, at least all the time, since they have come to my house without their parents.
And I almost never lock them in the trunk, either.

ShadowMaid

I did. If they aren't ready to be in public by age 5, you blew it.
How about all those child celebrities? They're all messed up, all bad people with bad characters. They're not the kind of people you want your kids to act like, and they are in the public eye all the time.

I wish it was. Every year we read about people who think their kids are going to be corrupted by the world, and lock them in the house.
Everyone gets this wrong about Dad. We go to a lot of places. Because Dad locks us in the trunk, we have the opportunity to travel.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Everyone gets this wrong about Dad. We go to a lot of places. Because Dad locks us in the trunk, we have the opportunity to travel.
Welllll... by "almost never"... ahhhhh... [loosens collar]... I meant... over one's lifetime... yeah... or... over the span of humanity... ahhh... yeah :nono:

PKevman

How about all those child celebrities? They're all messed up, all bad people with bad characters. They're not the kind of people you want your kids to act like, and they are in the public eye all the time.

:rotfl:

PK SPOTD :first:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I'm just impressed that you've been courageous enough to get on the other side of the "big door".

Our hope is to one day get our kids on the other side again. :sigh: Yorzhik you're going to have to let me in on your secret.

I've heard sunlight is so good for you. I'd love to see my kids get some if this is really true.

If that stupid lady would have only just kept her mouth shut and not talked to Rat! :mad:

ShadowMaid

I'm just impressed that you've been courageous enough to get on the other side of the "big door".
Well, it's not to hard, we've been doing the bag for awhile now. It works really well, as long as it's not a plastic bag. :D

Our hope is to one day get our kids on the other side again. :sigh: Yorzhik you're going to have to let me in on your secret.
Very darkly shaded goggles! It really dims down the view. :cloud9:

I've heard sunlight is so good for you. I'd love to see my kids get some if this is really true.
I think this is very important: Sunlight burns! I still don't like it. But uhh... I've only had enough sun to get to the trunk. I like it much better when Dad just brings the car in the garage.
If that stupid lady would have only just kept her mouth shut and not talked to Rat! :mad:
Better try the trunk before you try walking! :shocked: