Christian Kids in the Public School

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
I know that there is much controversy surrounding this topic, but I would like to hear from some people if they believe Christian kids should be educated in the public school?

rehcjam

I know that there is much controversy surrounding this topic, but I would like to hear from some people if they believe Christian kids should be educated in the public school?

I'm sorry, I'm not one of those, but I do not understand what the controversy is. :confused:

Real Sorceror

That depends entirely on which public schools we are talking about. Some of them are even better than private schools - and others are total crap*.

*(am I allowed to say that?)

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned

My wife & I have sent all 3 of our kids to public schools. Our sons graduated several years ago, and our daughter is now in high school.

There are several key issues:

1. Does the public school allow parents to be involved? I believe that, in almost EVERY instance, public schools WELCOME parental involvement - so long as the parents aren't stupid, counterproductive and/or problematic.

2. Are you willing, as a parent, to get involved? We cannot expect ANY school to fill a role that has been given, by God, to us as parents. Public or private school, if we're not willing to get involved in our kids' educations, we need to shut up about it.

3. Christians cannot, and should not, live in isolation.
We were called to be salt & light. We've been promised God's presence. What are we so afraid of? And more important, WHO is going to help bring up the quality of public schools if Christians won't even TRY?

4. When and how are we going to get out kids out into "the real world"? I've known quite a few home-schooled kids who are, quite frankly, socially retarded and completely unable to deal with "life outside the house". Is this what we want for our kids? I'd rather have my children out in the world, in small doses, when they're little - and the consequences of bad choices are relatively minor.

I guess every parent needs to come to their own conclusions regarding school. My wife & I chose ours, and we've not regretted the course of life we've chosen.

called_out

I took my kids out of public school after second grade. The reason was because I noticed bad changes in attitude in opposition to the Christian values I was trying to instill in them. They were at an age where they were very impressionable. They had too many teachers...both faculty and other children. Too much worldly influence at that age is hard to overcome. Public school does not allow place for religious conviction. They were away for 6 hours a day 5 days a week for 180 days of the year. That is roughly 1,080 hours a year that are crucial to their development. Parents do not have much control of what their children are taught in public school. My children have since grown and remain Christian. Taking responsibility for their training myself was the smart way to go. Many people told me I was wrong because they would not be able to deal with other people. I am glad I did not listen to those people...

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

Why in the world do people assume that just because a kid doesn't go to a public school they are somehow isolated?

Did you ever see Poly's video of her son who got to go out the big door?

Nineveh

Merely Christian

Public school was where I lost my child like faith. called_out makes note of the amount of time spent in PS, and it just couldn't compare to the couple of hours on Sunday. Even when I attended, I knew I would never send any children I had to such a place. Oddly enough, I withdraw my own daughter from a Christian school in 2nd grade. The escapee PS influence in the Christian school was turning the CS into a PS.

About "socialization": PS taught me to be an introvert. It's ok now though, I'm a recovered PS graduate :)

Real Sorceror

Why in the world do people assume that just because a kid doesn't go to a public school they are somehow isolated?
Because they do? I'm not saying it happens all the time, every kid is different, and every household is different. Some kids can handle being homeschooled. Others turn into sheltered and socially stunted young people.

DXPose

BANNED
Banned

There are several key issues:

1. Does the public school allow parents to be involved? I believe that, in almost EVERY instance, public schools WELCOME parental involvement - so long as the parents aren't stupid, counterproductive and/or problematic.

Back in November, 2006 The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against parents who sued their local school district after their elementary-age children were given a sexually charged survey, saying: “that there is no fundamental right of parents to be the exclusive provider of information regarding sexual matters to their children, either independent of their right to direct the upbringing and education of their children or encompassed by it. We also hold that parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students. ”

2. Are you willing, as a parent, to get involved? We cannot expect ANY school to fill a role that has been given, by God, to us as parents. Public or private school, if we're not willing to get involved in our kids' educations, we need to shut up about it.

If raising and educating our own kids is our God-given role and responsibility as parents, then why would you send them away for 8 hours a day to a godless government school to be educated?

We were called to be salt & light.

Where in Scripture does God say children should be "salt-n-light"?

We've been promised God's presence. What are we so afraid of? And more important, WHO is going to help bring up the quality of public schools if Christians won't even TRY?

What are we so afraid of? Hmmm?

My girls being severely sexually harassed daily, experiencing fierce peer pressure, having poor self-esteem, picking up a few drug habits, learning to disrespect authority, use foul language, learn how to have oral sex and sleep around, become a homosexual, embrace relativism, feminism and tolerance as virtues, or possibly get sexually molested by their peers or raped by their teachers, or even shot and killed...just for starters.

Sorry, but I love my kids. And there is no hope for public education so we should quit trying to change a corrupted system.

4. When and how are we going to get out kids out into "the real world"? I've known quite a few home-schooled kids who are, quite frankly, socially retarded and completely unable to deal with "life outside the house". Is this what we want for our kids? I'd rather have my children out in the world, in small doses, when they're little - and the consequences of bad choices are relatively minor.

Oh - and kids at public school aren't socially retarded? What other instance in the "real world" are children segregated by age and forced under compulsory attendance to be in place where they don't want to be? Maybe the prison system - but that's not the real world either.

I guess every parent needs to come to their own conclusions regarding school. My wife & I chose ours, and we've not regretted the course of life we've chosen.

But is it really the government’s responsibility to teach our children? Would the Jews ever send their children to the Philistines to be educated?

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
Public school was where I lost my child like faith. called_out makes note of the amount of time spent in PS, and it just couldn't compare to the couple of hours on Sunday. Even when I attended, I knew I would never send any children I had to such a place. Oddly enough, I withdraw my own daughter from a Christian school in 2nd grade. The escapee PS influence in the Christian school was turning the CS into a PS.

About "socialization": PS taught me to be an introvert. It's ok now though, I'm a recovered PS graduate :)

Private Christian schools are nothing more than Baptized public schools! As for "socialization"...that's the very reason why I don't send my kids to public school.

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
I took my kids out of public school after second grade. The reason was because I noticed bad changes in attitude in opposition to the Christian values I was trying to instill in them. They were at an age where they were very impressionable. They had too many teachers...both faculty and other children. Too much worldly influence at that age is hard to overcome. Public school does not allow place for religious conviction. They were away for 6 hours a day 5 days a week for 180 days of the year. That is roughly 1,080 hours a year that are crucial to their development. Parents do not have much control of what their children are taught in public school. My children have since grown and remain Christian. Taking responsibility for their training myself was the smart way to go. Many people told me I was wrong because they would not be able to deal with other people. I am glad I did not listen to those people...

Good for you! You must love your kids and seek to honor God by training up in the way they should go.

Nineveh

Merely Christian

I dunno. I'm good friends with a family of 8. I admire the woman, she never sits down :D That family goes to Church, 4-H, dance, etc. etc. etc. They live out in the real world far more than I was allowed to in my PS career.

Did you ever see Poly's video of her son who got to go out the big door?

:darwinsm:

Layla

My girls being severely sexually harassed daily, experiencing fierce peer pressure, having poor self-esteem, picking up a few drug habits, learning to disrespect authority, use foul language, learn how to have oral sex and sleep around, become a homosexual, embrace relativism, feminism and tolerance as virtues, or possibly get sexually molested by their peers or raped by their teachers, or even shot and killed...just for starters.

:squint:

Layla

Yes, you heard it. Feminism and tolerance are the Devil.

Oh, that part didn't surprise me.. this is TOL, afterall. I was just wondering where exactly he lives that people regularly get taught how to swear and give oral sex, or get raped by their teachers, or shot on campus.. Ok, scratch the last one, forgot I was talking to Americans. :p

P8ntrDan

I dunno, I personally can't stand public school and won't ever send my future kids there. Every homeschooler I know is quite socially adept, because even though they weren't socializing at school, they were in more positive environments provided by the local church youth group! Even though a little extreme, DX has a point that a majority of undesirable behaviors are learned in public schools. Basically, my beef with it is the fact that nearly everyone walks around with fake masks of who they are, and in the end, there are still plenty of social rejects who end up just as stunted as a homeschooler might, and deeply hurt on top of it. The absolute worst part is how every time you try and take a stand, you are suppressed. Any time any kid would bring in a poster for a concert, etc, the priciple would ok it no prob, unless it was me and the event was being held at my church, horror of horrors. I'm tired of that box that they put you through to make you an 'ideal (conformist!) person'. As hard as I try, I still pick up on all the crap that goes around the halls and end up influenced by it to some degree. (sigh) I can't wait til graduation... only 2 more years...

P8ntrDan

Yes, you heard it. Feminism and tolerance are the Devil.

Not quite sure what femyism is, but tolerance is giving up your moral stance so that we can all agree. I refuse to be tolerant of the murder masked by the word abortion or the perversion made acceptable by the word homosexuality.

P8ntrDan

Oh, that part didn't surprise me.. this is TOL, afterall. I was just wondering where exactly he lives that people regularly get taught how to swear and give oral sex, or get raped by their teachers, or shot on campus.. Ok, scratch the last one, forgot I was talking to Americans. :p

Did you go to high school? If you didn't know what swear word/oral sex was before you got sucked in, you'll definitely know by the time you're through the wringer. Rape is quite a bit rarer, but we have a teacher who's raped every girl in our school visually/in his mind. Violence such as shooting is only uncommon in very small high schools.