Christian Kids in the Public School

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I was awarded the "Best Reader Award," as a child, in school. I was tested a couple of years later, and had an eleventh grade reading and comprehension level. I was in third grade. I almost didn't graduate. Over one lousy class, that kids two years prior didn't even have to take. I took the class in Summer School, and got an A. They didn't let me go through commencement, not that I actually wanted to, but they did give me my diploma.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
First of all, how or why would I know that Shadowmaid is a 17-year old girl? Second, if she wants to smart off at me, she needs to put on her big girl undies and not go crying to mommy if somebody smarts off back at her.

I'm sorry, but I have lost virtually all - if not all - of my respect for homeschoolers, as a result of this thread. What has been expressed here has been nothing short of arrogant, dishonest, shameful and unChristian. I have never before seen such hostility, nastiness, condescension and hatred coming from people who claim to be Christians.

I'm sure that PastorKevin will feel God is leading him to Neg-Rep me - yet again - for this. I'm sure that I'll be condemned to hell for this. I'm sure I'll be rebuked - again - for this. I'm sure that I'll be told I don't love my kids - again - for this. I'm sure I'll be accused of all manner of stupid things for this. But I don't care any more than I care what Fred Phelps thinks.
:baby:

PKevman

IA the whole point in calling PJ out for his treatment of Shadowmaid is because it was completely unprovoked. Really. If you go back and read it, she did nothing wrong or rude to him. She asked him some questions and disagreed with his views on public schools. The whole issue was the way he popped off to a young Christian lady is not a way a Pastor should handle things. And the statement about putting on her big girl undies was completely uncalled for and there was no excuse for it. And his further false accusations throughout the thread.

Why do you feel the need to defend behavior that practically everyone reading this thread can view and determine it was wrong behavior? At least we called him out for the things he said as opposed to him calling people out for what he THOUGHT they said, or for making outright false accusations. That is how our reactions were NOT similar in the least.

Layla

IA the whole point in calling PJ out for his treatment of Shadowmaid is because it was completely unprovoked. Really. If you go back and read it, she did nothing wrong or rude to him. She asked him some questions and disagreed with his views on public schools. The whole issue was the way he popped off to a young Christian lady is not a way a Pastor should handle things. And the statement about putting on her big girl undies was completely uncalled for and there was no excuse for it. And his further false accusations throughout the thread.

I agree, completely. I just don't see how it's any different to if he's reacted the same way to a guy, or an older woman.

Why do you feel the need to defend behavior that practically everyone reading this thread can view and determine it was wrong behavior? At least we called him out for the things he said as opposed to him calling people out for what he THOUGHT they said, or for making outright false accusations. That is how our reactions were NOT similar in the least.

Where have I defended his behavior? I've been very clear that I think he was out of line. I just happen to think that bad behavior from him doesn't justify bad behavior from others. You called him out for what he said, agreed.. you've been very mature in this thread, taking the high road, and I commend you. Others, however, have made comments about his home, his children, etc, and this lowers them to the level he was on. Once again -- PJ's attitude and insults don't justify others throwing insults back. This does not mean I condone or defend anything PJ said.

PKevman

IncapableAdmin said:
I agree, completely. I just don't see how it's any different to if he's reacted the same way to a guy, or an older woman.

It's probably just because many of us know Shadowmaid, and she really is a good kid and a sweet young lady. I think you can understand the difference.

Where have I defended his behavior? I've been very clear that I think he was out of line.

:up: Cool, it's practically unanimous. The only one who won't see it is Parson himself.

I just happen to think that bad behavior from him doesn't justify bad behavior from others.

That would depend on what you call bad behavior. Calling someone out for doing wrong is not bad behavior. Insulting them for that bad behavior is not necessarily wrong either, and can have positive results depending on the person.

You called him out for what he said, agreed.. you've been very mature in this thread, taking the high road, and I commend you. Others, however, have made comments about his home, his children, etc, and this lowers them to the level he was on.

Then why do you think I'm the only one PJ threw on ignore? :think:

Layla

It's probably just because many of us know Shadowmaid, and she really is a good kid and a sweet young lady. I think you can understand the difference.

Fair enough. :)

:up: Cool, it's practically unanimous. The only one who won't see it is Parson himself.

I think he knows, he just continues to let himself get carried away and can't be rational when he's upset.

That would depend on what you call bad behavior. Calling someone out for doing wrong is not bad behavior.

I agree.

Insulting them for that bad behavior is not necessarily wrong either, and can have positive results depending on the person.

I don't really agree with this, and I can't see how it's had any positive impact on PJ. He may not have got so aggravated and insulting if Yorhzik hadn't insulted his kids.

Then why do you think I'm the only one PJ threw on ignore? :think:

I do not know. It's a shame, you made some good points.

PKevman

I believe you. I wouldn't really want you to, though, I like to think I'm capable of looking after myself.

Hypotheticals are so hard to really determine though. I mean you can say what you would or wouldn't do in a given situation, but there are many variables that could come into it. Like if you mocked a woman who was against abortion for example, and she mocked you back. I wouldn't defend you for that. Follow what I'm saying? It depends on the person, the circumstances, what's been said, etc...

In this instance it was a discussion about homeschooling that got completely derailed by one man's refusal to rationally discuss an issue in a grown up and adult fashion. After the way PJ talked to Shadowmaid, I think Yorzhik was justified in what he said. He also didn't say it in the way that PJ flipped out either.

Layla

Hypotheticals are so hard to really determine though. I mean you can say what you would or wouldn't do in a given situation, but there are many variables that could come into it. Like if you mocked a woman who was against abortion for example, and she mocked you back. I wouldn't defend you for that. Follow what I'm saying? It depends on the person, the circumstances, what's been said, etc...

Well, given that I'm against abortion, I'm unlikely to be mocking anyone for that. ;)

I generally try to avoid mocking anyone for anything, though. I mean, I mock those I like.. I do it to stipe all the time. But I don't do it in an argument. I think it takes away from the strength of your point. If I have a good argument against someone, regarding a disagreement, I don't see a need to make that personal.

In this instance it was a discussion about homeschooling that got completely derailed by one man's refusal to rationally discuss an issue in a grown up and adult fashion. After the way PJ talked to Shadowmaid, I think Yorzhik was justified in what he said. He also didn't say it in the way that PJ flipped out either.

I agree that PJ was originally responsible for the way this thread went, but I can't agree that Yorzhik's manner was justified, and I do think it contributed to further derailing the thread. If no-one had thrown insults PJ's way, it would have made it a lot harder for him to keep up the attitude.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbarian notes that no one seems to be able to show that public schools "hate God."
You seem to have trouble with understanding context. When we say "hate God" we are referring to the Christian God, and also to the deeper philosophical understanding of man's condition. In the end, every sin is ultimately against God, and all motivations are ultimately based on whether we love God or hate Him. To say someone or some institution "hates God" it is a shorthand that most people understand. You, however, are more detail oriented apparently when you feel like it, so hopefully this will help.

Anecdotes aren't evedence. They are just stories people tell. Maybe true, maybe not. Facts count, not imagination.
Well, saying that all anecdotes are imagination is a bit of a stretch. When anecdotes change from a trickle to a tsunami, as is the case with the underlying system with public schools, it is right to look for the cause of the mountain of stories.

Yep. At least if you're an American. The founders thought so. They even set aside federal resources to make sure public education was available to students. (Northwest Ordinances)
It's also considered a legitimate endeavor by most American's, too.

Um, so which of these do you think means public schools hate God? Show your reasoning for that conclusion.
No, this would only show that the "official gov't view" will be the view that is enforced.

That's why we have local school boards; it makes the schools responsible to the community.
And as we've seen in Dover and Kansas, local school boards are going to be standard gov't officials like every other gov't official from you neighborhood to Washington DC.

So the next question is, what is the government view?
On what? Public education?
[/quote]
No; on God. You silly.