Christian Kids in the Public School

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fair enough. Guess nobody loves me.
We love you IA, but you normally take the side with those people that I normally attack. There isn't much room for standing with you against an unjustified comment. If it happens, though, and I see it and have time, I'll post in your defense.

I don't see how your attacks were justified. Attacking his stance, sure, attacking his reasons for the comments he made, yes, attacking his home and family, no. And, I don't believe for a second that his kids know how to roll joints or put on condoms. He didn't answer because the question was offensive and ridiculous.
This is an internet forum. When someone makes an opened ended comment that their kids didn't learn joint rolling or about condoms in public school (with no other information), then he should realize that any response does not include knowledge of whether his kids actually know these things. And because of that, he should put on his big girl undies and respond maturely. Something like "no, they learned that stuff from the homeschoolers down the street" would be totally within the bounds of forum discourse. Even, "No, they learned if from YOUR kids." would not even have been out of line since he doesn't know if my kids know about those things or not. However, the second would not have been as as sharp a retort since we both know that neither of our children have met.

The truth is, you know about internet barbs intuitively. But you naturally would prefer not to take the side of fundamentalist Christians so you try and confuse the details, probably without even realizing it.

Layla

We love you IA, but you normally take the side with those people that I normally attack. There isn't much room for standing with you against an unjustified comment. If it happens, though, and I see it and have time, I'll post in your defense.

I'm not taking PJ's side, in any way. I think insulting and attacking people's kids and families is wrong, whether I agree with the persons opinions on other issues or disagree with them.

This is an internet forum. When someone makes an opened ended comment that their kids didn't learn joint rolling or about condoms in public school (with no other information), then he should realize that any response does not include knowledge of whether his kids actually know these things.

It was quite clear that he meant they didn't know how at all. We already went over this.

And because of that, he should put on his big girl undies and respond maturely. Something like "no, they learned that stuff from the homeschoolers down the street" would be totally within the bounds of forum discourse. Even, "No, they learned if from YOUR kids." would not even have been out of line since he doesn't know if my kids know about those things or not. However, the second would not have been as as sharp a retort since we both know that neither of our children have met.

He should join in, even further, with these insults? Why? Why can't you all just discuss a topic without resorting to such pointless, abusive, crap?

The truth is, you know about internet barbs intuitively. But you naturally would prefer not to take the side of fundamentalist Christians so you try and confuse the details, probably without even realizing it.

Me? You're all fundamentalist christians, aren't you? I condemn PJ as much as I do, you. And, if you'll notice, I agreed with pretty much everything PastorKevin said!

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
I thought it was a joke. Anyone who reads the Bible even occasionally, would know that by the time Jesus was born, there were no Philistines. You meant it for real?

Here's a good one; where in the Bible is the last mention of Philistines? Hint: different answers for different Bibles.

(Re: reference to "Palestenians")

Palestinians? Arabian penninsula, most of them. By Hellenistic times, the Philistines were no longer an identifiable people.

You were serious about Philistines in Jesus's time. Amazing.

Philistines in this case would be a "figure".

In this case, it would be Crash. :rolleyes:

Since Crash has mislaid his Bible, perhaps you could answer the question above?

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
Sorry it took me so long to respond - this thread is getting out of hand and hard to keep up with.

DXPose, I was hoping you saw the post below:

When asked if Christian kids in a public school can be as 'morally intelligent' as ones in home schools bu JustinFoldsFive, you replied with this, my reply after:

Originally Posted by Nomad
This post is saddening to me, and insulting to many more.

1 Corinthians 15:33 - “Do not be deceived: Bad company corrupts good morals.”

Indeed it does. But what exactly is company? If you go to a restaurant filled with atheists, do they become your company and corrupt you? No, this is silly. Plenty of God-less people can be around you, but it does not give them any influence over you; any chance to corrupt you. It is when you let 'bad company' have influence on you when it corrupts your morals; morals do not travel by osmosis. A kid can choose the right company in a public school and keep good morals. There were many people in my high school that I did not associate with because I did not see eye to eye with them morally. Those I did associate with generally held the same moral principles as I did.

I agree that it is when you let 'bad company' have influence on you when it corrupts your morals. 40 hours a week at school is a lot compared to 1 hour a week at a restaurant, and for most kids attending public school the peer pressure is quite fierce. That's good that you did not associate with those who did not see eye to eye with, but the fact remains that the immoral kids way out number the moral ones, and inevitably the bad company corrupts good morals. At least 88% of the time Christian kids leave their faith according to statistics.

Luke 6:37-42:

DXpose you judged all the Christian kids in this nation that attend public schools as being less morally intelligent than those that attend public schools. If a disciple is not above his teacher, and if my parents are my teachers, as you firmly believe, what is to become of me should they send me to a public school?

I am only make judgments about the factual reality of public school kids - they are less morally intelligent. While this may not be the case for you, and good parents are important, I just don't see how your parents are your teachers when you are away for 8 hours a day being taught by humanists. Either you completely dismiss the teachings at school or you become like your teachers.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It was quite clear that he meant they didn't know how at all. We already went over this.
First, it wasn't clear. I've gone over a few posts after I lobed my insult at him, and I didn't see it. I think he assumed we know. But even if he had replied with "my kids don't know any of that". That is another mature response. Boring, as boring as not responding to the barb at all (which would have been another mature response).

But you're missing the point. It didn't matter if the children knew it or not. I had no way of knowing to begin with one way or another anyway. The point was that there is one response that is wrong and raises suspicions of a deeper problem and he chose that response.What he really said was, "That might not be a joke. I might be guilty of that". And then becoming raving mad and refusing to get back on topic when those avenues were offered only brings on more suspicion. And every time he doesn't repeat himself he offers another tiny bit of guilt to add to the suspicion. Pretty soon one realizes that they can help this person to move one way or another off the fence. And that is something God prefers even if you wouldn't understand it.

He should join in, even further, with these insults?
Yes. Either justified or to a point.

Why? Why can't you all just discuss a topic without resorting to such pointless, abusive, crap?
So you think I have some pointless abusive crappy posts? That's pretty insulting.

Me? You're all fundamentalist christians, aren't you? I condemn PJ as much as I do, you.
That's the problem. You should see the difference between what I did and what PJ did.

And, if you'll notice, I agreed with pretty much everything PastorKevin said!
PK did a great job.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Philistines, in this case would be a figure.

Barbarian chuckles:
In this case, it would be Crash.

I'm not getting you here. Perhaps it would be clear if you tell me the antecedent to "it".

:rolleyes:

Barbarian observes:
Since Crash has mislaid his Bible, perhaps you could answer the question above?

"You meant it for real?"

No, not for real. Philistines was used as a figure.

Perhaps, a quick review of the NT might be useful. "Publicans" or "tax-gatherers" might be more useful.

Of course, that would undermine the whole point you're trying to make, since Jesus was a companion of such people. Of course, Pharisees haven't changed much in the last 2000 years. He was roundly criticized for it. But if you want to follow Him, you best not be a Pharisee.

He preferred honest sinners to hypocrites.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Barbarian chuckles:
I'm still not getting it. I realize jokes are no good when explained, but I think you're trying to make a point.

Perhaps, a quick review of the NT might be useful. "Publicans" or "tax-gatherers" might be more useful.

Of course, that would undermine the whole point you're trying to make, since Jesus was a companion of such people. Of course, Pharisees haven't changed much in the last 2000 years. He was roundly criticized for it. But if you want to follow Him, you best not be a Pharisee.

No, Philistines is more appropriate because a figure of speech conveys the meaning more clearly. Besides, the Publicans and sinners that Christ hung out with he deemed as having a heart for loving God, which would be a totally inappropriate analogy to people working in the public school system.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Crash suggests:

Barbarian chuckles:

I'm still not getting it.

It's O.K. Makes it funnier.

Barbarian on a more appropriate simile:

No, Philistines is more appropriate

Other than the fact that they didn't exist at the time. That seems like a problem to me. Jesus couldn't have gone to a Philistine school, because they didn't exist.

Besides, the Publicans and sinners that Christ hung out with he deemed as having a heart for loving God, which would be a totally inappropriate analogy to people working in the public school system.

I know quite a number of committed Christians who work for various public school systems. And I must say, they are generally much better imitations of Christ than you have so far shown us.

PKevman

If the people bashing Yorzhik ever met him they would not even think of putting him in this light. I happen to like the guy. :up:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Other than the fact that they didn't exist at the time. That seems like a problem to me. Jesus couldn't have gone to a Philistine school, because they didn't exist.
That's the point. Philistines represents a kind. Your homework is to look up "Philistines" and "figures of speech".

I know quite a number of committed Christians who work for various public school systems. And I must say, they are generally much better imitations of Christ than you have so far shown us.
Do they warn the kids to escape the public school system? Or would they be Christians like you who don't seem to have a clue what Christ was like?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian on philistines:

That's the point.

Reality doesn't count? No wonder you think the way you do.

Philistines represents a kind.

Doesn't matter. Jesus could not have attended a "Philistine school", since they didn't exist.

Your homework is to look up "Philistines" and "figures of speech".[/qutoe]

It's the joke you didn't understand.

Barbarian observes:

Do they warn the kids to escape the public school system? Or would they be Christians like you who don't seem to have a clue what Christ was like?

If that's your attempt to follow Him, I would have to say that you don't have a clue about Him. He didn't hide from the world; He went out into it and let His light shine in the darkness. This is one of the reasons why Christians don't hide from the world.

And you don't have to be afraid of it. Study after study shows that one's children, for all the rebellion they show still look to parents for their assumptions and beliefs. Even if they go to public school.

Have some faith in what you believe.

kalel29

BANNED
Banned
I find it funny that the loudest critics of the public school system, have some of the dumbest children.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
I find it funny that the loudest critics of the public school system, have some of the dumbest children.

I find it funny that you typed one sentence and got the facts completely wrong because you went to publik skool!:dunce: