Calvinism and the word "WORLD"

God's Truth

If you would read the Bible you would see that James had a problem. Just like Peter had a problem, Galatians 2:11. You prefer to remain blind to the word of God.

So God had their mistake teachings put in the Bible to teach us?!!!

You are going against the apostles to the Lamb.

It will not go well for you.

God's Truth

Here, Robert Pate, are scriptures from Paul proving we have to obey:

2 Thessalonians 3:6 In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching you received from us.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

1 Corinthians 11:31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.

So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 1 Corinthians 10:12

1 Corinthians 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

2 Corinthians 12:21 I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.

Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling

2 Thessalonians 3:14 If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed.15 Yet do not regard them as an enemy, but warn them as you would a fellow believer.

1 Corinthians 5:2 And you are proud! Shouldn't you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this?

1 Corinthians 5:13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked person from among you."

God's Truth

Are you going to believe Paul and obey, or not?

Are you going to keep preaching we don't have to obey?

You are a liar if you do, because you are given scriptures that say we have to obey.

Robert Pate

Banned
Are you going to believe Paul and obey, or not?

Are you going to keep preaching we don't have to obey?

You are a liar if you do, because you are given scriptures that say we have to obey.

You are not righteous yet. What you are right now is a hypocrite, just like the Pharisees were.

Robert Pate

Banned
You are like the Pharisees who did NOT believe in Jesus and who did not repent.

The Pharisees like you, thought that they could please God by their obedience to the law. They even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. Jesus referred to them as snakes, blind guides, hypocrites, fools, etc. You need to read the 23rd chapter of Matthew. It is a good picture of yourself.

God's Truth

The Pharisees like you, thought that they could please God by their obedience to the law. They even tithed down to the mint in their gardens, Matthew 23:23. Jesus referred to them as snakes, blind guides, hypocrites, fools, etc. You need to read the 23rd chapter of Matthew. It is a good picture of yourself.

The Pharisees did NOT REPENT of their sins, just. like. you.

Robert Pate

Banned
You are a speaker of untruths because I have stated many times, even to you that Jesus did not save me until I repented of my sins.

Instead of resting in the work of Christ, Hebrews 4:10, you are in the sin fight. Everyday you are trying to get holier and holier. You don't believe the Gospel. You don't believe that you are complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

Charles94

Of course, as a Calvinist, I think we are saved by faith alone (but agree with Luther that real faith is never alone.) Any good that we do, whether confession of that saving belief, generosity, chastity, making disciples or whatever, is an appropriate outflowing of that saving faith, but it won't score any merit to count towards our salvation. That was all accomplished by Jesus' work on the cross.

We credit God with giving us all things that pertain to life and godliness (2Pet1:3) and understand that we need those gifts to pursue obedience that Peter says help us "make our call and election sure..." (2Pet1:10) We pursue obedience, comforted by the scriptures that teach that our efforts to work out our salvation are undergirded by the God who works within us to change our hearts and behavior.

Philippians2:12-13 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Instead of resting in the work of Christ, Hebrews 4:10, you are in the sin fight. Everyday you are trying to get holier and holier. You don't believe the Gospel. You don't believe that you are complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

Those who are complete in Christ and rest in His finished work must be the same ones who eagerly pursue obedience, not because they need works to be saved, but because that's how gratitude for salvation is expressed.

Rom6:1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

...12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?... 22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

Against modern people who crazytalk about being "free to sin", Paul states that new life in Christ is about being "set free from sin."

I assume Robert Pate thinks Paul was mistaken to write 1 Cor 5 to quote Deuteronomy to get that church to expel the guy shacked up with his step-mom, when he was just "resting in grace?" If the Spirit is really within you and transforming you into Jesus' image (2Cor3:18), why would you object to that transformation?

Charles94

Again, Jesus came for those who were already saved.

God cut off some Jews before Jesus started his earthly ministry.
Those who were not cut off had to go through Jesus.
Those cut off were hardened so that they could not be saved while Jesus walked the earth, only those already saved...Jesus came for those who were already saved, they were God's, and God gave them to Jesus. They were God's and they now had to go through Jesus to remain God's.

Hard to find the actual arguments among the garbage posts.

1) I don't think the tax collectors and prostitutes were "aleady saved" when Jesus got there. Although that does make an interesting contrast to your works-oriented arguments elsewhere, that you are happy to suggest prostitutes as models of obedient faith in 30 AD. If you want to make that case for Simeon and Philip and Nathanael (or even Cornelius to some extent), I could buy it. But Jesus was there to seek and save His people. That did include a number of people that had clearly turned away from God before He sought them (like the Samaritan woman) but it did not seem to include more than a couple of guys in the Temple leadership.

2) The notion that man rejects and runs from God is hardly exclusive to the Gospels in the Bible. Everyone turns and goes their own way and "no one seeks God." That's why Ezek36:26-27 shows that God is not limited by hard hearted men because He can change them. "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes..."

Heck, it goes all the way back to Genesis:

Gen6:5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

That's a pretty rough assessment of post-fall humanity and Gen8:21 reaffirms this is still true after the
Flood ("the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth.") Noah had faith (which like ours, must have been given by God) but still the first thing he does after surviving God's judgment is plant a vineyard so he can drink to excess...

Jer17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?

Jer13:23 Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Then may you also do good who are accustomed to do evil.

So it's no wonder that Jesus arrives with this Up-With-People slogan:

Matt19:17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God."

Afterwards, Paul keeps teaching that people without the Spirit can't come to Jesus.

Rom8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh...6 For to be carnally minded is death...7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

1Cor2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

In 1Cor1, Paul teaches that "those who are called"/"those who are being saved" (v24,18) can hear the message just fine but for others the gospel appears to be nothing but foolishness. God keeps inserting Himself in the narrative - Lydia believes but seems to need Him to open her heart first, some gentiles believe but only those who were appointed to eternal life. (Acts13:48)

The NT keeps telling you not to boast. You seem to think it's just a matter of politeness, since you clearly made the smarter, more spiritual choice than the unbeliever next door...but what if you literally don't deserve the credit?

1Cor4:7 For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?

Robert Pate

Banned

1) I don't think the tax collectors and prostitutes were "aleady saved" when Jesus got there. Although that does make an interesting contrast to your works-oriented arguments elsewhere, that you are happy to suggest prostitutes as models of obedient faith in 30 AD. If you want to make that case for Simeon and Philip and Nathanael (or even Cornelius to some extent), I could buy it. But Jesus was there to seek and save His people. That did include a number of people that had clearly turned away from God before He sought them (like the Samaritan woman) but it did not seem to include more than a couple of guys in the Temple leadership.

2) The notion that man rejects and runs from God is hardly exclusive to the Gospels in the Bible. Everyone turns and goes their own way and "no one seeks God." That's why Ezek36:26-27 shows that God is not limited by hard hearted men because He can change them. "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes..."

Heck, it goes all the way back to Genesis:

Gen6:5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

That's a pretty rough assessment of post-fall humanity and Gen8:21 reaffirms this is still true after the
Flood ("the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth.") Noah had faith (which like ours, must have been given by God) but still the first thing he does after surviving God's judgment is plant a vineyard so he can drink to excess...

Jer17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?

Jer13:23 Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Then may you also do good who are accustomed to do evil.

So it's no wonder that Jesus arrives with this Up-With-People slogan:

Matt19:17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God."

Afterwards, Paul keeps teaching that people without the Spirit can't come to Jesus.

Rom8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh...6 For to be carnally minded is death...7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

1Cor2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

In 1Cor1, Paul teaches that "those who are called"/"those who are being saved" (v24,18) can hear the message just fine but for others the gospel appears to be nothing but foolishness. God keeps inserting Himself in the narrative - Lydia believes but seems to need Him to open her heart first, some gentiles believe but only those who were appointed to eternal life. (Acts13:48)

The NT keeps telling you not to boast. You seem to think it's just a matter of politeness, since you clearly made the smarter, more spiritual choice than the unbeliever next door...but what if you literally don't deserve the credit?

1Cor4:7 For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?

Those that were saved in the New Testament were saved by hearing and believing the Gospel. Acts 2:41. That is why Paul wrote, "So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17. We hear, we believe and we are born again by the word of God, 1 Peter 1:23. And then Paul said that "The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes" Romans 1:16. It is hard to teach that salvation comes any other way than by hearing and believing the Gospel.

God's Truth

Those that were saved in the New Testament were saved by hearing and believing the Gospel. Acts 2:41. That is why Paul wrote, "So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17. We hear, we believe and we are born again by the word of God, 1 Peter 1:23. And then Paul said that "The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes" Romans 1:16. It is hard to teach that salvation comes any other way than by hearing and believing the Gospel.

You are intertwining the time when Jesus came with the time after Jesus ascended into heaven.

God's Truth

I am holy and I work out my salvation, and I trained myself.

God's Truth

1) I don't think the tax collectors and prostitutes were "aleady saved" when Jesus got there.

Hahahaha they were Jews. The Jews were God’s people. And, you are forgetting the fact that the PROSTITUTES and thieving tax collectors REPENTED of their sins.

Although that does make an interesting contrast to your works-oriented arguments elsewhere, that you are happy to suggest prostitutes as models of obedient faith in 30 AD. If you want to make that case for Simeon and Philip and Nathanael (or even Cornelius to some extent),
Are you okay? Cornelius was saved AFTER Jesus was crucified.