Biden/Harris 2020

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Charlie Dent: I'm voting for Joe Biden
Lifelong Republican Charlie Dent will vote for Biden. Here's why
Republican Charlie Dent is a former US congressman from Pennsylvania who served as chairman of the House Ethics Committee from 2015 until 2016 and chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies from 2015 until 2018.
...Speaking of institutions essential to sustaining our Republic, if we can keep it, President Trump has been destructive. He attacks the independence of the judiciary, abuses his authority with executive actions, tramples on Congress' constitutionally granted "power of the purse" authority under Article I, and detests a free press. In short, he is a threat to the rule of law and functional democracy.

Which brings me to why I will be voting for Joe Biden. Joe Biden has campaigned for my opponents and I have campaigned for his. To be sure, Joe Biden and I have policy disagreements. Should he become our next president, I will no doubt question and disagree with some of his policy decisions, and I will do so respectfully.

To my friends and supporters who tell me they dislike Donald Trump but like his tax and regulatory policies, and judicial appointments — I like lower taxes and a lighter regulatory touch, too. But there are principles more important than a tax cut or a beneficial regulatory change. Subordinating the role of Congress to the Presidency and Judiciary disrupts the constitutional order that undergirds our system of government. President Trump's policies on national security, trade and health care are reckless, ill-considered and short-sighted.

Donald Trump is not a conservative: He is an illiberal populist and nativist whose chaotic approach and managerial malfeasance have undermined the functioning of government. If you don't believe me, just ask some of his former appointees like Jim Mattis, Rex Tillerson, Gary Cohn and John Bolton; others no doubt will speak out after this national nightmare has ended. And we have all born witness to his utterly incoherent and ineffective response to the global pandemic, which by almost any metric has significantly lagged behind other developed nations.

Why so many good leaders have acquiesced to a man so glaringly unfit and stunningly incapable of carrying out the duties of his office is one of the great mysteries and disappointments of our time...​

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not that MAGAs will care...

Efx3QZGXoAIy4Ue

I see the shirts and I assume that they are of Russian ethnicity.

What do you assume?

eider

I guess that you're too dense to understand that I was saying that OF COURSE HIS MURDER WAS WRONG.

As are ALL MURDERS.... the most heinous of all are the MURDERS OF INNOCENT CHILDREN IN THEIR MOTHER'S WOMB.
You think that 'Duh' means all of the above?
Look, if you are that devoted to children you'd be pulling hard for maternity leave for mothers and medicare, best education, subsistence and welfare for all children. And I don't think you do.
So I don#'t believe you. Easy.

You're an idiot.
Wow! What powers of debating you have......

I love them all ... and don't want to see them MURDERED or to BE MURDERERS.

I don't believe you. Sorry.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Top Republican National Security Officials Say They Will Vote for Biden

In a letter released hours before Joe Biden is set to deliver his nomination acceptance speech, over 70 senior officials called President Trump “unfit to lead” and outlined their support for his opponent.

Four years after 50 of the nation’s most senior Republican national security officials warned that Donald J. Trump “would be the most reckless president in American history,” they are back with a new letter, declaring his presidency worse than they had imagined and urging voters to support former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.

The new letter, released just hours before Mr. Biden formally accepts the nomination, lays out a 10-point indictment of Mr. Trump’s actions, accusing him of undermining the rule of law, aligning himself with dictators and engaging “in corrupt behavior that renders him unfit to serve as president.”

They also accused him of “spreading misinformation” and “undermining public health experts,” making him “unfit to lead during a national crisis.”

“When we wrote in 2016, we were warning against a vote for Donald Trump, but many of the signatories were not ready to embrace his opponent,” Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state, noted John Bellinger, a former legal adviser at the State Department and National Security Council who was among the authors of the past and current letters. “This is different: Each of the signatories has said he or she will vote for Biden. Signatories are now even more concerned about Trump, and have fewer concerns about Biden.”

Eric Edelman, a former senior Defense Department official under President George W. Bush, and a signatory to both the old and new letters, noted that the 2016 warnings were “a prospective judgment about Donald Trump’s fitness for office. Today the things that were cited in those letters have been vindicated by Trump’s actual performance.”

The result, he said, was that new Republican signatories joined — there are more than 70 in the new letter — people who “undoubtedly hoped that Trump would grow in office and would take the responsibilities of office seriously. He didn’t.”

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Well, now we have our answer as to who is in the Deep State!

Yeah, that'll be next, but I don't think the letter is for the base, maybe for people who regret voting for Trump the first time. The signers acknowledged there was a downside to the letter because it could be used in that way, but they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they don't speak with a conscience and a duty to warn, then we'd be asking where are the patriots, where are the ones with courage?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Yeah, that'll be next, but I don't think the letter is for the base, maybe for people who regret voting for Trump the first time. The signers acknowledged there was a downside to the letter because it could be used in that way, but they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they don't speak with a conscience and a duty to warn, then we'd be asking where are the patriots, where are the ones with courage?

Most Republican politicians opposed Trump before he got elected. After he got elected, the majority of them rolled over and became his sycophants (or retired from political life). If Trump goes down hard, many of them will likely go down with him. The remaining Republicans will be left to pick up the pieces of what remains of their hollowed-out shell of a political party. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Most Republican politicians opposed Trump before he got elected. After he got elected, the majority of them rolled over and became his sycophants (or retired from political life). If Trump goes down hard, many of them will likely go down with him. The remaining Republicans will be left to pick up the pieces of what remains of their hollowed-out shell of a political party. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

Well said. It's amazing to hear some of them (notably Lindsay Graham) talking about Trump before the election and in the years since. And his cabinet too. It's been conjectured, and maybe it's true, that the military in his cabinet who resigned or were fired didn't speak up because chain of command was so ingrained. I don't know. Sally Yates remains my hero, being the first (IIRC) to be fired by Trump for refusing an unlawful order. I'd love to see her in public office some day.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Ef6cd6ZU8AEtrnN

Joe Biden gave the biggest speech of his career on Thursday night when he accepted the Democratic nomination for president. "The current president's cloaked America in darkness for far too long," the former vice president said. "Too much anger, too much fear, too much division. I will draw on the best of us, not the worst. … And make no mistake, united we can and will overcome this season of darkness."

BIDEN BARN BURNER
VOWS TO END 'SEASON OF DARKNESS'
LOVE MORE POWERFUL THAN HATE

FOXNEWS RAVES: 'Enormously effective,' 'A home run'...

The speech even received praise by some across the aisle. Conservative commentator Erick Erickson tweeted, "Biden exceeded expectations. That was a fine speech." Rich Lowry, editor of the National Review, agreed, tweeting: "Forceful, energetic delivery, strongest when portraying his program as all about jobs, speech lost focus in the second half — but overall, probably helped himself." Guy Benson, the political editor of Townhall, said simply: "Biden crushed expectations."