Best excuses for not wearing your wedding ring.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
I don't wear any jewelry.
In America, women and men has a right not to be sexually harrassed by men or women .

They could go to jail for touching.

musterion

True or not, I once read that the tradition (and it's only that) started as a sign of the husband's "ownership" of the wife, not of each spouse's "ownership" of the other. That was the reason men typically didn't wear them. There also was a metaphorical anatomical/sexual component to this hypothesis, but I have just enough good taste not to outline it.

I wear mine, the wife wears hers. We read nothing more into it than a symbol that we are wed. When I worked in machine shops and drove a forklift, I didn't wear it. Google image "ring avulsion" for the reason why...and don't say I didn't warn you.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
True or not, I once read that the tradition (and it's only that) started as a sign of the husband's "ownership" of the wife, not of each spouse's "ownership" of the other. That was the reason men typically didn't wear them. There also was a metaphorical anatomical/sexual component to this hypothesis, but I have just enough good taste not to outline it.

I wear mine, the wife wears hers. We read nothing more into it than a symbol that we are wed. When I worked in machine shops and drove a forklift, I didn't wear it. Google image "ring avulsion" for the reason why...and don't say I didn't warn you.

In our new culture, no one owns each other.

Warning days are from old cultures.

We don't kill children for someone else's sin.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How about ... jewelry annoys my skin and is uncomfortable to wear ...

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
There is no excuse for not wearing it.

What a throwback. 1 Cor. 7:2

And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there [Eccl. 3:16].

"He is saying that all men are wicked. You can’t trust anybody. This is a cynical, although I must confess a rather accurate, viewpoint of the human race." McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: Poetry (Ecclesiastes/Song of Solomon) (electronic ed., Vol. 21, pp. 37–38). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

For thus says the High and Lofty One
Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
“I dwell in the high and holy place,
With him who has a contrite and humble spirit,
To revive the spirit of the humble,
And to revive the heart of the contrite ones. Is 57:15

Also see:

Wedding Ring Etiquette for a Widow

Widow Etiquette: Mrs. or Ms.?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There is no excuse for not wearing it.
Right, because it isn't an offense and doesn't require a defense, only a statement of preference. So no one needs an "excuse" and they won't be sent to the marriage principle's office for a paddling. There are only preferences and reasons why people do or don't wear them.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
In our new culture, no one owns each other.

We were bought at a price (1 Co 7:23). Christ owns us (1 Co 6:19). We are slaves to him or slaves to sin (Jn 8:36, 34).

When we are slaves to Christ, we are faithful like him (Heb. 3:1, 2). When we are slaves of Satan, we serve him (Jn 8:44).

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
We were bought at a price (1 Co 7:23). Christ owns us (1 Co 6:19). We are slaves to him or slaves to sin (Jn 8:36, 34).

When we are slaves to Christ, we are faithful like him. When we are slaves of Satan, we serve him (Jn 8:44).

You spoke of a physical person owning another.

and now you chickened out and switched to Spirit owning another.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
You spoke of a physical person owning another.

and now you chickened out and switched to Spirit owning another.
Married people are one flesh (Mt 19:5,6) until death (Ro 7:2,3).

The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does (1 Co 7:4).

quip

BANNED
Banned
I got an old sports injury, there's pain that shoots up to my elbow on my left hand when the ring is there.

Posted from the TOL App!

Is this pain more prevalent whilst in the presence of an attractive single female? :kiss:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I dunno. My parents just said they outgrew them.

Nearly forty years later I don't think a piece of metal would faze them or anyone else.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Married people are one flesh (Mt 19:5,6) until death (Ro 7:2,3).

The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does (1 Co 7:4).

And written during that culture and for that culture.

Strange to watch how gay marriage work. How does a gay cheat on a gay?

How does alimony and child support work I gay marriage?

Strange new movements

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
I dunno. My parents just said they outgrew them.

Nearly forty years later I don't think a piece of metal would faze them or anyone else.

What about those that wear a ring on every finger?

Those conservatives are sooooooo outdated and primitive I'm beginning to wonder if they are even worthy to debate.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
And written during that culture and for that culture.

And for us.

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called (Eph 4:1, ESV).

"Not all Scripture is written to us, but all Scripture is written for us." J. Vernon McGee

Last edited: