Assisted Suicides Soar in Switzerland

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
It's funny how one can die in martyrdom, but cannot take one's life when pain is unbearable and death is imminent.

glassjester

Being terminally ill is the criteria being used.

Are you shifting the goal posts on me?

I am trying to find out why certain people "can" commit suicide, and others "cannot."

So what's your reason for believing (I assume) that it's rightfully illegal to assist in the suicide of a healthy individual?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I believe suicide is wrong.
I believe murder is wrong.

You believe it's wrong to kill a man with 7 months to live.
But it's acceptable, even "good," to kill a man with 6 months to live.

I'm just interested in that discrepancy.

Also how do we know its 7 months or 6 months, etc.. doctors can be and often are very wrong, how many "brain dead" people whose family refused to murder them, later woke and said they heard it all?

People can and do get better and last way longer than doctors often state they will.

MrDante

I am trying to find out why certain people "can" commit suicide, and others "cannot."

you speak of those who are terminally ill and in uncontrollable pain and with a loss of quality of life wanting to die as if it were some sort of whim.

The difference between a mentally ill individual wanting to die and a terminally ill individual wanting to die is the rational basis for making that choice.

quip

BANNED
Banned

So what's your reason for believing (I assume) that it's rightfully illegal to assist in the suicide of a healthy individual?

Pain, suffering, no chance for quality of life, dignity....or to answer your question, a distinct lackthereof of what makes a quality life worth living.

glassjester

Pain, suffering, no chance for quality of life, dignity....or to answer your question, a distinct lackthereof of what makes a quality life worth living.

Are there not people who suffer equally, if not more, due to mental illness?

I don't see how any government or individual has the right to tell one man his life is worth living, and to tell another man his is not.

Arthur Brain

I don't see how any government or individual has the right to tell one man his life is worth living, and to tell another man his is not.

Who are you to tell a person that they should live in horrendous suffering and have no option to end it until they die 'naturally'?

Arthur Brain

That would be impossible. There will always be a means to that end.

But that does not mean the state should encourage or allow it.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you were actually in such a position as those who avail themselves of the option. To be fair you couldn't really answer honestly on that unless you were in such a state.

quip

BANNED
Banned

Mental illness is a tough one, it's subjective and hard to objectively measure.

Let's just say I'm around 80 years in age with an advanced terminal illness such as cancer. I'm in constant pain, perhaps immobile, going to the bathroom upon my self with only a few weeks to live. At this point in my life and given my condition, I'm more in dread of the remainder of my life than of death.

The choice is obvious: Get my affairs in order than die on my own terms.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Mental illness is a tough one, it's subjective and hard to objectively measure.

Let's just say I'm around 80 years in age with an advanced terminal illness such as cancer. I'm in constant pain, perhaps immobile, going to the bathroom upon my self with only a few weeks to live. At this point in my life and given my condition, I'm more in dread of the remainder of my life than of death.

The choice is obvious: Get my affairs in order than die on my own terms.

One last finger lifted up to God, eh?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It has been legal in Switzerland since 1946 because it is not considered a crime. I do not know more about it, but one may look it up.

I think anyone who wants to do it should not be stopped by any law, other than God's law, or we will eventually have people willing to do the unthinkable to die. You cannot make someone live.