Assisted Suicides Soar in Switzerland

Eagles Wings

There is no Scriptural support for assisted suicide/suicide for any reason. Our Lord gives us ample verses filled with hope when one is in the midst of suffering. He knows the number of hairs on our heads and will with no doubt see to the comfort of His own at their time of death.

As Christians we are not promised a life without trials and for many there is severe suffering. Let Job be our example, a man who surely suffered such grief as to find death desirable, yet his hope was in his Lord.

Glory to God

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't see why any society that approves of assisted killing of healthy babies would have any problem against assisted killing of a worn out unhealthy person.

glassjester

Clearly you've never had to put down a beloved pet who had aged to the point she could no longer walk or eat

Of course I have. Family members, too.

*EDIT* I did not mean I put down family members!
I meant I've been with them while they could no longer eat or walk.

glassjester

I don't see why any society that approves of assisted killing of healthy babies would have any problem against assisted killing of a worn out unhealthy person.

Abortion and euthanasia are indeed part of the same "culture of death."

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
So you're just pro-suicide, then? Any and all suicides?
Scripture is full of deaths ordered by God. Some are for violations of God's laws. Some are for other reasons such as territorial conquest. In fact the very foundation of Christianity begins with a suicide unless, of course, you don't believe that Jesus could have saved himself from the crucifixion. Is it heresy to say that He allowed his own death?

glassjester

Scripture is full of deaths ordered by God. Some are for violations of God's laws. Some are for other reasons such as territorial conquest. In fact the very foundation of Christianity begins with a suicide unless, of course, you don't believe that Jesus could have saved himself from the crucifixion. Is it heresy to say that He allowed his own death?

Self-sacrifice is not suicide. Jesus' death and Judas' death stand in stark contrast, in the NT.

Nobody in their right mind says a soldier who jumped on a grenade, or a firefighter running into a burning building committed suicide.

So are you for any and all suicides just to decrease the population?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
God asks for faith in tribulation.

Christians have been experiencing tribulation (Ac 5:41, Rev. 2:10). :rapture: The world's tribulation is yet to come (Mt 24:21).
smiley438.gif

Last edited:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Self-sacrifice is not suicide. Jesus' death and Judas' death stand in stark contrast, in the NT.

Nobody in their right mind says a soldier who jumped on a grenade, or a firefighter running into a burning building committed suicide.

So are you for any and all suicides just to decrease the population?
From your reply I take it that you agree the crucifixion was an assisted suicide. You are, of course, wrong about the soldier and the grenade. That situation is certainly a suicide and the nobility of the act does not alter the fact that the soldier took his own life.

Eagles Wings

From your reply I take it that you agree the crucifixion was an assisted suicide. You are, of course, wrong about the soldier and the grenade. That situation is certainly a suicide and the nobility of the act does not alter the fact that the soldier took his own life.
Considering the death of Christ to be suicide, is not the belief of Christianity and is not supported by Scripture.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Considering the death of Christ to be suicide, is not the belief of Christianity and is not supported by Scripture.

Absolutely correct!

Suicide works in rebellion against God's sovereign will.

Christ, as the Son of God, divinely died according to God's sovereign will . . . as the Sacrificial Offering to forgive Sin for Mankind.

Big mistake to compare any voluntary human death, that leads only unto everlasting death, with the necessary, legal, and divine death of Jesus Christ, that alone accomplished the salvation of His people!

Arthur Brain

If you think that's not the exact mentality underlying support for assisted suicide, you're either naive or in denial.

Okay, everyone is effectively terminal from the moment life is conceived, but to reduce euthanasia to your parameters is to miss the point. It's all very well to argue the analogy of talking someone down off a ledge, but supposing that person has only a week to live and that "life" is going to consist of horrendous suffering or being so out of it until they actually demise?

Does quality of life mean anything to you? Or should someone suffer until they naturally draw their last terminal breath? FTR I only support euthanasia with stringent and watertight safeguards for those who are terminally ill and do so with full cognitive ability.

And furthermore I would only have a pet of mine put down as a last resort, it certainly wouldn't be done out of "convenience"...

:plain:

Last edited:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Big mistake to compare any voluntary human death, that leads only unto everlasting death, with the necessary, legal, and divine death of Jesus Christ, that alone accomplished the salvation of His people!
Say what? Did He not foretell his death to his disciples? Obviously then it could have been avoided.

Arthur Brain

Get real.

The entire concept of killing a sick, suicidal man (simply because he's sick and suicidal) can be summed up by the words, "Kill the poor bastard."

You're about as accurate and objective on this as you seem to be with the notion that people simply put their pets down out of convenience as oppose to humanely alleviating their suffering. Any loving pet owner will tell you it's not done out of anything like.