Assisted Suicides Soar in Switzerland

Arthur Brain

Well, i think going out on a dope run is more shameful than umping out a window. The jumping means no one is taking part in limiting ones life and it takes more courage. Just see those one death row, most fear death more than prison, but few of them a real old.

Well, I don't see any shame in a terminally ill patient wanting to end their life or using drugs to cope with the pain of an awful disease.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The pain has nothing to do with the law, does it?

Someone could be in more pain, either mental or physical, but if they've got 10 years to live, suicide is illegal.
They came well arrest the person after he jumps off a high bridge then. Let's hope no one else gets hurt?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Arthur Brain

You didnt quote me saying all the things you added to what i said and the context you ignored, try again.

I quoted you directly in your response to Quip. Instead of all this deflection how about you just explain what you meant by your comment? Geez, can't be that difficult can it?

:AMR:

glassjester

Mental illness is a tough one, it's subjective and hard to objectively measure.

All pain is subjective.

Let's just say I'm around 80 years in age with an advanced terminal illness such as cancer. I'm in constant pain, perhaps immobile, going to the bathroom upon my self with only a few weeks to live. At this point in my life and given my condition, I'm more in dread of the remainder of my life than of death.

There are people living in those same conditions, or worse, due to mental illness (except for the few weeks to live part).
Many of them are suicidal. Should they be assisted to die?

Again, the pain has little to do with it (the law).

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I quoted you directly in your response to Quip.

No you didnt do that before, before you added to my words and included "thoughts" i did not state nor maintain, my response was ONLY to quip and what i underlined in his quote, period.

Instead of all this deflection how about you just explain what you meant by your comment? Geez, can't be that difficult can it?

You make it difficult by adding things no one said when you respond to them, like this thing you did:

Well, anyone who thinks a cancer sufferer should go on and die 'naturally' without the aid of palliative drugs is a complete headcase. They'd sharp change their tune if they were wasting away of the very same...

You inserted something no one said and then ran with it.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Well, I don't see any shame in a terminally ill patient wanting to end their life or using drugs to cope with the pain of an awful disease.

Well, that is the procedure that is condoned, yet it seems like a bit of a cop-out to me.

Most would say it is more wrong and damning to ump out of an airplane at 5000 feet?

glassjester

Really the amount of pain or suffering has nothing to do with assisted suicide laws.

If someone had 10 years to go, and was in worse pain than a terminal patient, his suicide would still be illegal.

It seems strange that someone who'll potentially suffer for longer has to "suck it up," while someone with less time to wait needs to check out immediately.

Shouldn't the guy with a potentially longer time of suffering have a greater right to suicide?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Really the amount of pain or suffering has nothing to do with assisted suicide laws.

If someone had 10 years to go, and was in worse pain than a terminal patient, his suicide would still be illegal.

It seems strange that someone who'll potentially suffer for longer has to "suck it up," while someone with less time to wait needs to check out immediately.

Shouldn't the guy with a potentially longer time of suffering have a greater right to suicide?

attachment.php

glassjester

The Gospels would be horrible stories if Jesus told Peter to stab Him right before He got arrested, so He wouldn't have to suffer.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
So should all suicide be legalized?

No.

There are young folks who have mental problems; they should be prevented, as they are. I do not think assisted suicide should be legal and if you check Swiss law, they do not allow it done directly, only indirectly.

Arthur Brain

No you didnt do that before, before you added to my words and included "thoughts" i did not state nor maintain, my response was ONLY to quip and what i underlined in his quote, period.

You make it difficult by adding things no one said when you respond to them, like this thing you did:

I don't make it 'difficult' whatsoever and if there was somehow some "change" in context with my own post then I rectified that anyway by directly quoting your own reply. What did you mean by that in response to Quip? Surely you must know if I've somehow misread the context?

You inserted something no one said and then ran with it.

Oh get real Angel. What the hell do you think Morphine is used for in relation to cancer?! Look at my response to K in that regard. If you're just here to vent or spoil for an argument instead of debate then look somewhere else. Been down this road with you before and not interested again if this is the way you're gonna act.

:plain:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't make it 'difficult' whatsoever and if there was somehow some "change" in context with my own post then I rectified that anyway by directly quoting your own reply. What did you mean by that in response to Quip? Surely you must know if I've somehow misread the context?

Oh get real Angel. What the hell do you think Morphine is used for in relation to cancer?! Look at my response to K in that regard. If you're just here to vent or spoil for an argument instead of debate then look somewhere else. Been down this road with you before and not interested again if this is the way you're gonna act.

:plain:

Not playing, sorry.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
If you think a morphine induced pseudo death is what God wants, then you are mistaken, You do not fool God with the slow med-death.

glassjester

No.

There are young folks who have mental problems; they should be prevented, as they are. I do not think assisted suicide should be legal and if you check Swiss law, they do not allow it done directly, only indirectly.

Couldn't a suicidal person with a mental illness potentially suffer more, and for longer than a terminally ill person?

If so, wouldn't their suicide prevent an even greater amount of suffering than a terminal patient's suicide?