Assisted Suicides Soar in Switzerland

shagster01

It starts that way. But what happens when somebody with 10 months to live sues the state for the "right to die" ?

Or if someone isn't terminally ill, but in a lot of pain? It'll happen. Did you read the OP? That had to start somewhere, right? Probably with a law not unlike Colorado's.

How much suffering is too much? And how much time left is too little? And why should any human being or government have the right to decide?

Nor is suicide.

We do a lot of things to animals, that would not be fit to do to a human, don't we?

And let's be honest here. We don't put dogs down to be humane. We do it out of convenience.

Look,you can't help people who don't want it. That's just called controlling. It amounts to slavery. If people are suffering, it's not my place to make sure that continues a while longer. In Colorado the people have spoken. If Joe Schmoe wants to be done with his suffering, it's none of my business.

glassjester

Let that sink in.

Another reason we need pro-life judges on the supreme court. I would guess there will be a SC case about assisted suicide very soon. It'll either blow the door wide open to euthanizing people for any and all reasons (as in Switzerland), or slam the door closed on doctors murdering their patients.

It all depends on the balance of the court. A frightening fact.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Look,you can't help people who don't want it. That's just called controlling. It amounts to slavery. If people are suffering, it's not my place to make sure that continues a while longer. In Colorado the people have spoken. If Joe Schmoe wants to be done with his suffering, it's none of my business.

Is it your business if hes just depressed and has a family?

glassjester

Look,you can't help people who don't want it. That's just called controlling. It amounts to slavery. If people are suffering, it's not my place to make sure that continues a while longer.
In Colorado the people have spoken. If Joe Schmoe wants to be done with his suffering, it's none of my business.

Not even if Joe Schmoe has seven months to live? Would you "enslave" him then? "Force him" to stay alive?

shagster01

Another reason we need pro-life judges on the supreme court. I would guess there will be a SC case about assisted suicide very soon. It'll either blow the door wide open to euthanizing people for any and all reasons (as in Switzerland), or slam the door closed on doctors murdering their patients.

It all depends on the balance of the court. A frightening fact.

Just to be clear.. you are saying we need a pro-life person (judge) to override a 65%-35% vote?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
People have some major conundrums about dignity and sanctity of life, but as far as I'm concerned it's indignant for someone's last bit of time be agonizing pain...

God may ask us to suffer (1 Cor. 12:26; Phil. 1:29). We are to overcome (Rev. 3:5). It's not about us. It's about him (Ac 9:16, Jn 21:19).

glassjester

Just to be clear.. you are saying we need a pro-life person (judge) to override a 65%-35% vote?

And it's disgusting that they dress this up as a medical treatment.

Did anyone stop to ask what condition exists for which death is the cure?
None. Absolutely none.

That's not what doctors are for.

MrDante

100% Against.

When somebody's out on a ledge, you talk them down. You don't stand there, yelling, "Jump!"

I worked in mental health with a psychiatrist at the time of the Terry Schrivo controversy. He said that he had worked 40 years in a career opposed to suicide, that he personally opposes suicide at an "...intellectual level, at a moral level and at a spiritual level. But give me a debilitating terminal illness that robs me of my independence and leave me in horrific pain that medications cannot control and then ask me what i think about assisted suicide."

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Your family's business is not mine. Why would his be? Or do you want me involved in your family business too?

Are you involved if i have to get on public assistance for children and myself because my husband got help to end his life because of depression?

MrDante

And what happens when, eventually (and inevitably) insurance will only cover the most "cost effective solution" ? A suicide pill will always be cheaper than a morphine drip.

Currently it is the most cost effective solution to provide palliative care to cancer patients rather than it is to administer chemotherapy, radiation and any number of surgeries. Yet somehow no one is suggesting we as a society stop treating cancer.

shagster01

Is there any suicide that you would vote against?

Personally, I think a terminally ill person with a few months to live is as far as I would support, as far as assisted suicide goes. But even when and where suicide is illegal, it doesn't stop it. You can offer help and programs and yadayadayada... but you can't stop it short of locking somebody up and watching them 24 hours a day.

The best we can do is offer an alternative to suicide and let them make their own life choices.

glassjester

I worked in mental health with a psychiatrist at the time of the Terry Schrivo controversy. He said that he had worked 40 years in a career opposed to suicide, that he personally opposes suicide at an "...intellectual level, at a moral level and at a spiritual level. But give me a debilitating terminal illness that robs me of my independence and leave me in horrific pain that medications cannot control and then ask me what i think about assisted suicide."

Every suicidal person is in immense pain.
Every human being is terminal, in the long run.

Why are some people worthy of being talked out of it, and some aren't?
Why should the state decide that my life isn't worth saving, but my neighbor's is?

MrDante

Let that sink in.

Depression often goes hand in hand with terminal illness. Of these 20 cases "reported" in 2014 was the only diagnosis depression? I can guess that answer is no as assisted suicide of someone solely because they are depressed is a capital offence in Switzerland. Ref: Article 115 of the Penal Code of Switzerland

glassjester

Personally, I think a terminally ill person with a few months to live is as far as I would support, as far as assisted suicide goes.

And why are you against the legalization of other suicides?

But even when and where suicide is illegal, it doesn't stop it. You can offer help and programs and yadayadayada... but you can't stop it short of locking somebody up and watching them 24 hours a day.

But you still say we shouldn't legalize any and all suicides. Why is that?

MrDante

Every suicidal person is in immense pain.
Every human being is terminal, in the long run.

Why are some people worthy of being talked out of it, and some aren't?
Why should the state decide that my life isn't worth saving, but my neighbor's is?

Kind of let the point sail right over your head there.