Ask an Aussie

Thunder's Muse

The first one is Ron Clarke. Truly a legend. He was the first man to run 10,000 meters under 28:00. He set 17 world records in his career. Here's a Sports Illustrated article from 1965. But he never won an Olympic gold medal. Here is one of his world records.

Later in life Clarke became Mayor of the Gold Coast, Queensland in 2004.

The last runner is Craig Mottram, aka The Big Muzungu. Mottram burst on the scene in the early 2000's. In distance running since the early 1990's distance running has been utterly dominated by the East Africans, mainly Kenya and Ethiopia. By the early 2000's the level of domination became absurd. No non-East African could run with them. Then Mottram showed up and starting running with the East Africans. He was the only one who was not intimated by them. He trained like a madman and started to beat a lot of the East Africans. One African runner nicknamed Mottram, The Big Muzungu, which means "Big White Man", in the Bantu language. There was a movie made about Motram's quest to run against the greatest distance runners in the world.

Ah, yes....I do know those men....

Ron Clarke is another Aussie who is very much respected and admired.

Craig Mottram had the whole country amazed.

Thunder's Muse

What's a dollar worth in Australia?

Currently, $1 Australian is worth $1.0355 U.S Dollars.

I think they actually call those bidets. :plain:

:chuckle:

What's the deal with your bears?

Koalas aren't actually bears. It's a marsupial, like the kangaroo and wombat.

Are all your animals miniatures? :think:

No. Crocs grow pretty big and of course, we have the great white shark to deal with, too. The male Red Kangaroo can grow as tall as 6ft...emus are pretty big....

They're all mutants! Just look at this one!

blue-5838521.jpg

Also, isn't there some kind of killer koala bear or something? Like chupacabra of Australia?

LOL..no. The Drop Bear is a story made up to confuse tourists.

Thunder's Muse

Why are Aussie movies so incredibly slow and quiet? I watched a film the other day that was actually quite good, but seriously, it had only a total of 100 words of dialogue in 2 hours.

"Samson And Delilah"

And these, too, were good Aussie films, but were incredibly slow and quiet ...

"Rabbit Proof Fence"

"The Tracker"

"Walkabout"

"The Proposition"

"The Piano"

"Ten Canoes"

and some others I can't remember just now.

Good movies, but all weirdly wordless for long segments of time. Do you tax words in Australia, or something? (Don't tell our government, because they haven't thought of this, yet!)

Just curious.

Our movies rock...we have some seriously talented actors in Australia.

Is the movie Australia considered a national treasure? :plain:

Uh.......no. :plain:

What's the deal with forks in Australia? What does blue look like?

Well, we use forks for eating food. I have seen them used as a back scratcher but I'm not sure if that's just a weird Aussie thing....

We don't have blue here...it was banned way back in 1908....

The Berean

Why are Aussie movies so incredibly slow and quiet? I watched a film the other day that was actually quite good, but seriously, it had only a total of 100 words of dialogue in 2 hours.

"Samson And Delilah"

And these, too, were good Aussie films, but were incredibly slow and quiet ...

"Rabbit Proof Fence"

"The Tracker"

"Walkabout"

"The Proposition"

"The Piano"

"Ten Canoes"

and some others I can't remember just now.

Good movies, but all weirdly wordless for long segments of time. Do you tax words in Australia, or something? (Don't tell our government, because they haven't thought of this, yet!)

Just curious.
Whoa? Please tell you you have seen the greatest two Aussie movies ever, Mad Max and The Road Warrior?!! :banana:

PureX

Whoa? Please tell you you have seen the greatest two Aussie movies ever, Mad Max and The Road Warrior?!!
Yes, but they aren't. Australia has produced a number of really good films. Those two are very well known, of course, but not necessarily the best.

Charity

Yes, but they aren't. Australia has produced a number of really good films. Those two are very well known, of course, but not necessarily the best.

Any browny points for..Mel Gibson (school; australian acting) making National treasures out of American films; as TH mentioned.