Ask an Aussie

Memento Mori

So do I when he's offline....

:plain:

Is that your poker face? You know, if the wind changes your face will get stuck like that.

Do you guys have a fourth of July?

Incidentally, when is your Independence Day and was it a bloody mess like ours?

What's up with those colonial British? They think they can just take over. Buncha jerks.

Have you ever taken an Implicit Attitude Test (IAT)? You totally should.

Arthur Brain

Is that your poker face? You know, if the wind changes your face will get stuck like that.

No, it's my cribbage face, and outside elements play no part...

No, we skip from the third to the fifth for superstitious reasons and add an extra day onto August.

Yes, mine is the seventh of April, and it isn't a bloody mess usually although it often turns out to be a shambles....

What's up with those colonial British? They think they can just take over. Buncha jerks.

Have some 'Horlicks' and a cookie....

Back in 1999....

I think I came out with the result: Needs more vitamin C....

Thunder's Muse

Well, yeah...it's right between July 3rd and July 5th :eek:

Australia doesn't have an Independence Day. We are still a part of the Commonwealth.

I know....but you can bet they would have had some serious sunburn :chuckle:

No, can't say I have. What does it measure and would I want to know the outcome???

Memento Mori

No, it's my cribbage face, and outside elements play no part...

Cabbage face? I suppose in order to consume such vile vegetable, one must... prepare...

No, we skip from the third to the fifth for superstitious reasons and add an extra day onto August.

Like the "13" floor or Ground, Basement, Subbasement, and Dungeon. Superstition. I suppose it has something to do with those Giant faces in a circle on that hill with a giant naked man...

Yes, mine is the seventh of April, and it isn't a bloody mess usually although it often turns out to be a shambles....

Raised Jewish, huh? I feel your pain brother... :plain:

Have some 'Horlicks' and a cookie....

Oh, you and your Harry Potter. For the last time, he's fictitious. Like Northern Ireland.

Back in 1999....

You must have been in the original research group. I read the report and I thought "I.C. Wiener" was a weird cover name for a participant.

I think I came out with the result: Needs more vitamin C....

Totally racist...

Memento Mori

No, can't say I have. What does it measure and would I want to know the outcome???

Yes. If you're comfortable releasing your results I'd be interested to know what kind of associations you've formed. Gender, sexuality, and race are usually, the primary studied among college students. But all IATs are interesting.

Basically, it's a way of testing the connections you've formed. By asking you to sort certain subjects into categories, we can see by how quickly you make the connection as to how strong those connections are. Thus they are implicit rather than explicit because it's an automatic response.

Also, don't think an implicit association which may seem racist, isn't. What matters is your explicit actions. There is debate over the subject as it's fairly new in psychology.

Also, I misspoke. It's the Implicit Association Test.

Arthur Brain

Cabbage face? I suppose in order to consume such vile vegetable, one must... prepare...

Hmm, one rather feels we're stepping over the boundaries of polite forum etiquette here as well as derailing TM's thread to a non Australian tangent, so I shall content myself with discourse thus at this juncture: :nananana:

Like the "13" floor or Ground, Basement, Subbasement, and Dungeon. Superstition. I suppose it has something to do with those Giant faces in a circle on that hill with a giant naked man...

Well no, because the number in question there would reside between 12 & 14 but don't let such piffling little details incumber you on your quest for geological realms with faces and.....such....

Raised Jewish, huh? I feel your pain brother... :plain:

Episcopalian actually...or so I've been told....

Oh, you and your Harry Potter. For the last time, he's fictitious. Like Northern Ireland.

Not so! I met Harry Potter just last week. He works in the accounts section and prefers to be called Algy. Nobody knows why but hey....
And I visited Northern Ireland once - by accident yes but it exists....

You must have been in the original research group. I read the report and I thought "I.C. Wiener" was a weird cover name for a participant.

Hmm. I was equally suspicious regarding a report with the cover name "U.R.A.Gimp" as it goes....

Totally racist...

That only applies to Vitamin A deficiency. You should know that...:nono:

Yes....considerably.

Thunder's Muse

I have had vegamite and I must say it was good. I want to know with all the crocs where in the world can one swim in a natural body of water (not counting the ocean)and not get eaten? If it was not a swimming pool then I would not go in.

Crocs only live in the top end...thankfully :chuckle:

PureX

Would I still be allowed into Australia if I confessed to liking the "McCloed's Daughters" TV series (but did refused to watch the last two seasons because they were so lame)?

Is it true that Australia will succeed from the Commonwealth if Charles ever becomes king?

Are all the women in Australia as beautiful as Kestie Morassi in "Satisfaction"?

1gbSEg9Cb77QLczmgPtApTdtFz4.jpg

Has Australia made plans for a national monument honoring these two most amazing, wonderful, kind, and talented Aussie singer-songwriters? If not, clearly, your government needs a really big kick in the pants.

l.jpg

Archie Roach and Ruby Hunter​

Will you Aussies ever learn how to actually play 'football'? I would think that you lot would be embarrassed by those girly-men of yours running around in circles on the grass like some sort of fairy tale field sprites.

And please tell me you don't actually drink Fosters (kangaroo urine) Beer! I've even seen college frat boys turn that crap down!

In all honesty, I LOVE Australia. I have been there, and if I get to live another lifetime, I hope I get to do it in the land down under. And I hope to get back for another visit before this life is over, too.

You all are LOTS more fun than the Canadians!

Thunder's Muse

Would I still be allowed into Australia if I confessed to liking the "McCloed's Daughters" TV series (but did refused to watch the last two seasons because they were so lame)?

Of course. McLeod's Daughters was a very popular show here.

It was actually filmed in South Australia, my home State :)

Is it true that Australia will succeed from the Commonwealth if Charles ever becomes king?

No. There has been a debate going on for years and years, as to whether Australia should remain part of the Commonwealth. The country is divided....we couldn't reach an agreement, so we've forgotten about it for now.

Are all the women in Australia as beautiful as Kestie Morassi in "Satisfaction"?

1gbSEg9Cb77QLczmgPtApTdtFz4.jpg

Uh, no :chuckle:

Has Australia made plans for a national monument honoring these two most amazing, wonderful, kind, and talented Aussie singer-songwriters? If not, clearly, your government needs a really big kick in the pants.

l.jpg

Archie Roach and Ruby Hunter​

Archie Roach is an Australian legend. Easily one of the most respected musician/songwriters we have.

Sadly, his beautiful wife passed away recently.

Will you Aussies ever learn how to actually play 'football'? I would think that you lot would be embarrassed by those girly-men of yours running around in circles on the grass like some sort of fairy tale field sprites.

Personally, I hate football....but there is something to be said for these men playing such a high contact sport without padding to protect them :eek:

:chuckle:

And please tell me you don't actually drink Fosters (kangaroo urine) Beer! I've even seen college frat boys turn that crap down!

LOL! I don't know ANYONE who drinks Fosters....I actually don't think it's even sold here in South Aus.

In all honesty, I LOVE Australia. I have been there, and if I get to live another lifetime, I hope I get to do it in the land down under. And I hope to get back for another visit before this life is over, too.

You all are LOTS more fun than the Canadians!

:)