Ask an Aussie

PureX

Is it true that Australians have nicknamed the fascist-looking eagle on top the American-Astralian War Memorial "Mickey Mouse"?

AA-memorial-2.JPG

The Berean

The middle one is Robert DeCastella...the other 2, I have no idea.

The first one is Ron Clarke. Truly a legend. He was the first man to run 10,000 meters under 28:00. He set 17 world records in his career. Here's a Sports Illustrated article from 1965. But he never won an Olympic gold medal. Here is one of his world records.

Later in life Clarke became Mayor of the Gold Coast, Queensland in 2004.

The last runner is Craig Mottram, aka The Big Muzungu. Mottram burst on the scene in the early 2000's. In distance running since the early 1990's distance running has been utterly dominated by the East Africans, mainly Kenya and Ethiopia. By the early 2000's the level of domination became absurd. No non-East African could run with them. Then Mottram showed up and starting running with the East Africans. He was the only one who was not intimated by them. He trained like a madman and started to beat a lot of the East Africans. One African runner nicknamed Mottram, The Big Muzungu, which means "Big White Man", in the Bantu language. There was a movie made about Motram's quest to run against the greatest distance runners in the world.

PureX

Why are Aussie movies so incredibly slow and quiet? I watched a film the other day that was actually quite good, but seriously, it had only a total of 100 words of dialogue in 2 hours.

"Samson And Delilah"

And these, too, were good Aussie films, but were incredibly slow and quiet ...

"Rabbit Proof Fence"

"The Tracker"

"Walkabout"

"The Proposition"

"The Piano"

"Ten Canoes"

and some others I can't remember just now.

Good movies, but all weirdly wordless for long segments of time. Do you tax words in Australia, or something? (Don't tell our government, because they haven't thought of this, yet!)

Just curious.

Charity

What's the deal with forks in Australia? What does blue look like?

I carry a silver pitch Fork in my car glove box.. I hold it up whenever anyone cuts me off. (kidding) other people use two fingers.
an blue has four legs an a Tail, an can be red.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
MoMo's questions gave me an idea. Do foods taste backwards and if so what does chicken taste like?

This is the worst idea since strip Jeopardy. :plain: