ARCHIVE: apology for the manner of my attack on Bob Enyart

Caille

Knight said:
I am pretty sure me and Bob Enyart agree on almost every major political and theological point. I am aware of some small differences in opinion I have with Bob but nothing major to my knowledge.

Therefore....
If you believe Bob is in error you must believe I am in error.

If I am in error I want to know about it so I can change my position.

I publicly challenge you
to show me where I am in error. Please feel free to start a new thread so we can discuss this matter in depth. Feel free to start with any topic that you feel Bob (and I) are in error.

Thanks in advance for your time.

OK - since this was directed at Edge in reply to a post I had made, I'll give it a crack (ignoring the fact that the questions I asked earlier have still gone unanswered).

I believe Bob's approach as detailed here http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12416 is in error, specifically that it comes very close to violating the ninth commandment

BTW – I won’t be back until tomorrow morning.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Caille said:
OK - since this was directed at Edge in reply to a post I had made, I'll give it a crack (ignoring the fact that the questions I asked earlier have still gone unanswered).

I believe Bob's approach as detailed here http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12416 is in error, specifically that it comes very close to violating the ninth commandment

BTW – I won’t be back until tomorrow morning.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I do not read all the posts on TOL. So I do not know what questions of yours have gone "unanswered" and I am really am not sure what your link is referencing.... so maybe we should just start from scratch eh?

Let's just remove the veil of ambiguity and springboard ourselves into the wonderful world of clarity. Fair enough?

Give me an issue that you disagree with.... let's start with just one issue so we can tackle it in the proper way. Deal?

Maybe the best the best thing to do is when you return to TOL start a new thread titled something like....
"Hey Knight you are wrong about such and such, or wrong about so and so."

Then we can see if it leads us anywhere. :cool:

Currently my main focus is on our "Edgeian" since he is the one attempting to make the most noise but I will gladly entertain you as well.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
The stuff I read about his governmental plans, about setting up a theological monarchy, and immediatly executing not only murderers, but all old testament capital crimes including homosexuality, I don't agree with that because Jesus came to fulfill the law.

But I"m not a left wing liberal. I'm a right winger, and I support both the death penalty and spanking. God told us to be in submission to the government ordained over us, and that I what I believe we should do. I support the death penalty for murder, because that is what's in the Bible and that's what the US government ordained as legal. "Whoever sheds blood, by man shall his blood be shed." I guess one of my problems is with the homos....they shouldn't be put to death in the first few days. It's a sin, and they can turn from it later in life, as I am sure I told you one of my college friends has.

Again, I am not against spanking. My mum says I spank my kid too much....but I don't think it's right to whip someone with a belt and make welts. Whether the skin was truely broken or not, someone thought this was severe enough to press charges, and we shouldn't subject ourselves to that kind of questioning as Christians. My spanks hurt but they don't injure my boy. And another major reason I am against Bob Enyart is because I came on this board and just tried to be a friendly guy, and a Bob supporter has singlehandely come out and publically attacked me for no reason at all, and then used Enyart's writings to back themselves up. I can't agree with a Christian who thinks that is ok.

That, in a nutshell, is why I disagree with Bob Enyart. And no Bob supporters are willing to say "Bob may be going about it wrong" and just continue to attack me. Well I don't care anymore. If you all don't like me, I don't care. I don't see a problem with his fundamental theology, but I disagree with his harsh, confrontational, insulting style, his constant seeking of media attention for his protests, his spanking a boy that wasn't even his at the time to the point of a trial, and his radical governmental views. I can't back it up except with the Scripture where Jesus says not to go out on the streetcorners and pray with many words and showing everyone you are fasting as a public display, which in my opinion Enyart does by seeking so much media attention.

If you all hate me that's fine. That's how I feel, and I stick to it.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
The stuff I read about his governmental plans, about setting up a theological monarchy, and immediatly executing not only murderers, but all old testament capital crimes including homosexuality, I don't agree with that because Jesus came to fulfill the law.

I support the death penalty for murder, because that is what's in the Bible and that's what the US government ordained as legal.
:doh:

Mr. 5020

Knight said:
Huh???

Bob only has a few posts here on TOL. Why would you bother to put him on ignore? It sounds to me like you may have other "issues".
96, to be exact. And what does post totals have to do with the ignore list. I also have "gimp" on that list.

Mr. 5020

The Edge said:
Lucky, if I am in error on my interpretation of Bob's intent, please enlighten me.
He's saying you contradicting yourself. Noticed the emboldened words in your post that he quoted.

SOTK

The Edge said:
Again, I am not against spanking. My mum says I spank my kid too much....but I don't think it's right to whip someone with a belt and make welts. Whether the skin was truely broken or not, someone thought this was severe enough to press charges, and we shouldn't subject ourselves to that kind of questioning as Christians. My spanks hurt but they don't injure my boy..

The Edge,

I am sure you spank as carefully as you can and consistently as you can, however, what if you decided to spank a little harder some time? What if your kid did something, in your mind, which was so wrong you felt a harder spanking was appropriate? And what if this particular spanking left a couple of marks? Now, you still love your kid. That hasn't changed. You just felt a harsher spanking was necessary and you want your kid to seriously learn from this error. Now, let's say the wrong people (biased liberal idiots :loser: ) see the welts and run with it. In other words, for the sake of argument, let's say the shoe is on your foot.

Now, you knew your intentions were right as the father. You also know that, per God and His Word, you have done nothing wrong. Can you honestly tell me that you would deserve prosecution for this?

Think about it.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
SOTK said:
The Edge,

I am sure you spank as carefully as you can and consistently as you can, however, what if you decided to spank a little harder some time? What if your kid did something, in your mind, which was so wrong you felt a harder spanking was appropriate? And what if this particular spanking left a couple of marks? Now, you still love your kid. That hasn't changed. You just felt a harsher spanking was necessary and you want your kid to seriously learn from this error. Now, let's say the wrong people (biased liberal idiots :loser: ) see the welts and run with it. In other words, for the sake of argument, let's say the shoe is on your foot.

Now, you knew your intentions were right as the father. You also know that, per God and His Word, you have done nothing wrong. Can you honestly tell me that you would deserve prosecution for this?

Think about it.
SOTK, very well worded question.

I agree that different types of spanks can be used depending on severity. We usually use either hands or a wooden spoon. Based on severity, we increase the number and speed of the spanks, until we get verbal submission. It's usually not a huge ordeal.

However, we live in a liberal society, and if anyone on the outside sees marks, they are going to haul you away for child abuse. And if you get convicted, whether you meant to or not, that hangs over your head, and family and friends will question your motives, no matter whether you meant to hurt your kid or not. And if a conviction like that hangs over my head, people are going to question my faith, and I don't ever want that to happen. It's better to just eliminate the chance and have a better witness for Christ because of it.

It's possible to spank your kids into submission without leaving a single mark. That's what I think the right thing to do is.

D

SOTK

The Edge said:
SOTK, very well worded question.

I agree that different types of spanks can be used depending on severity. We usually use either hands or a wooden spoon. Based on severity, we increase the number and speed of the spanks, until we get verbal submission. It's usually not a huge ordeal.

However, we live in a liberal society, and if anyone on the outside sees marks, they are going to haul you away for child abuse. And if you get convicted, whether you meant to or not, that hangs over your head, and family and friends will question your motives, no matter whether you meant to hurt your kid or not. And if a conviction like that hangs over my head, people are going to question my faith, and I don't ever want that to happen. It's better to just eliminate the chance and have a better witness for Christ because of it.

It's possible to spank your kids into submission without leaving a single mark. That's what I think the right thing to do is.

D

The Edge,

You really didn't answer my question. In keeping with my hypothetical, do you feel you should be prosecuted and/or crucified by the liberal media, your family, friends, and co-workers?

On a side note, you do hurt your kids every time you spank. You do know that, don't you? If you don't believe me, take a look at their bare bottoms. It might not be a welt in the sense you are referring to as a welt, but it is a mark nonetheless. You see what I'm getting at? Spankings are supposed to hurt. That's the whole point. It's learning right from wrong through a painful lesson. In a matter of speaking, we are leaving a mark whether their is a physical one or not. Again, that's the whole point.

When you make the decision to follow God's Word and spank your children, you need to realize that it's possible that a spanking or two may end with some marks and bruises. You say it hasn't happened to you yet. I'm saying that it probably will. And if it does, how has anything changed?

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
SOTK, we're playing with words. Bruises, welts, bleeding is wrong. A red sting is ok; it's like getting hit in the face with a racquetball; it stings a lot for a few minutes and then fades. Yes spankings are supposed to hurt, but not damage. They are supposed to teach.

I guess if Enyart felt he was right, there's nothing I can do. But his conviction causes me not to judge him, but to question him, to look very carefully at what a man like him says before buying wholeheartedly into it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yea!!! Now we are getting somewhere!
The Edge said:
The stuff I read about his governmental plans, about setting up a theological monarchy,
I have news for you.... a "theological monarchy" is the government of choice when Jesus reigns. When Jesus returns He will not be setting up a democracy.

Theocracies originate from the Bible!
The Bible contains the books 1st and 2nd KINGS, I don't recall the book of presidents. :)

So.... that being said... what exactly do you have against theocracies?

and immediatly executing not only murderers, but all old testament capital crimes including homosexuality, I don't agree with that because Jesus came to fulfill the law.
He came to fulfill the requirements of the law for Israel He did NOT come to destroy the law.

“ Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill."
- Matthew 5:17

P.S. None of this has anything to do with the criminal justice system which God has given to man. For if it did nothing would be illegal! The above is in regard to God's law between Himself and Israel.

Kidnapping illegal? NO Jesus fulfilled the law!!!
Rape illegal? NO!!! Jesus fulfilled the law!!!

That isn't very sound logic is it?

But I"m not a left wing liberal. I'm a right winger, and I support both the death penalty
You do??? But... but.... Jesus fulfilled the law!!!

and spanking. God told us to be in submission to the government ordained over us, and that I what I believe we should do. I support the death penalty for murder, because that is what's in the Bible and that's what the US government ordained as legal.
But... but.... Jesus fulfilled the law!!!

"Whoever sheds blood, by man shall his blood be shed." I guess one of my problems is with the homos....they shouldn't be put to death in the first few days. It's a sin, and they can turn from it later in life, as I am sure I told you one of my college friends has.
And a murderer cannot turn from his sin? Of course he can! You painfully miss the point of a swift death penalty. God demands a swift death penalty so that men are not provoked into that type of sin in the first place. In other words... when Jesus is ruling over the earth (in the future) men will not become homos and therefore few (if any) will be put to death.

"Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil." Eccl. 8:11

Again, I am not against spanking. My mum says I spank my kid too much....but I don't think it's right to whip someone with a belt and make welts.
I honestly do not believe you can spank without leaving at least some redness. I tend to think you are grasping at straws here. I can tell you this.... by your standards my father was a child abuser.

Whether the skin was truely broken or not, someone thought this was severe enough to press charges, and we shouldn't subject ourselves to that kind of questioning as Christians. My spanks hurt but they don't injure my boy. And another major reason I am against Bob Enyart is because I came on this board and just tried to be a friendly guy, and a Bob supporter has singlehandely come out and publically attacked me for no reason at all, and then used Enyart's writings to back themselves up. I can't agree with a Christian who thinks that is ok.
No reason at all???? Come on Edge you are a big boy. There should be no reason to pout and feel sorry for yourself, you have admitted yourself you were attempting to rebuke Erin so it isn't as if your opposition was unwarranted.

That, in a nutshell, is why I disagree with Bob Enyart. And no Bob supporters are willing to say "Bob may be going about it wrong" and just continue to attack me.
What makes you think any Bob Enyart supporters think Bob is "going about it wrong" in the first place? You can't just assume that you are correct in your analysis and assume that your opposition is wrong. Maybe.... just maybe... you are the one in error and have wrongly judged a pastor and father without having any idea as to what really happened.

Well I don't care anymore. If you all don't like me, I don't care.
Spare me the drama. :baby:

I don't see a problem with his fundamental theology, but I disagree with his harsh, confrontational, insulting style,
Do you disagree with Jesus confrontational style? How about John the baptist? And what about the apostle Paul?

Do you disagree with....

1Timothy 5:20 Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

2Timothy 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

Titus 1:13 This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,

his constant seeking of media attention for his protests, his spanking a boy that wasn't even his at the time to the point of a trial, and his radical governmental views. I can't back it up except with the Scripture where Jesus says not to go out on the streetcorners and pray with many words and showing everyone you are fasting as a public display, which in my opinion Enyart does by seeking so much media attention.

If you all hate me that's fine. That's how I feel, and I stick to it.
:baby: Come Edge... man up!

If you are going to make outlandish accusations you best be prepared to defend yourself. You know the old saying..... don't show up to a gun fight with a knife. Or in this case... if you are going to dish it out you best be prepared to take it as well.