ARCHIVE: apology for the manner of my attack on Bob Enyart

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Yeah we obviously should not support a government with an evil tyrant in place....I think in that case it would be Biblical to throw off such a government.

Berean Todd

The Edge said:
Yeah we obviously should not support a government with an evil tyrant in place....I think in that case it would be Biblical to throw off such a government.

I'm not so sure about that Edge. Did Jesus try, or did He advocate for his apostles to try and overthrow the Roman government? They were rather cruel and evil, what with crucifictions, turning the early Christians into human torches to light the streets, worshipping false gods.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Berean Todd,

Ok, but I think Billybob had a point. What if Hitler won World War II, and gained control of America. What should we do? What is the Biblical thing to do?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
if we immediatly put to death today anyone who killed, cheated, or was gay, we'd probably reduce the world's population by at least a half.....it woudl be frightening and drastic.
Since adultery is not presently a capital crime in this country, if it were made to be a capital crime tomorrow it would still be wrong to execute everyone who has every committed adultery. But it would be right to swiftly execute everyone who commits adultery from that day forth. One of the effects would be a drastic drop it the rate of adultery even among those who have cheated or are cheating.

But if the government were to suddenly take a more firm stance on the death penalty, it would not be wrong for the government to immediately execute all criminals who are already on death row.

Make sense?

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Turbo said:
Since adultery is not presently a capital crime in this country, if it were made to be a capital crime tomorrow it would still be wrong to execute everyone who has every committed adultery. But it would be right to swiftly execute everyone who commits adultery from that day forth. One of the effects would be a drastic drop it the rate of adultery even among those who have cheated or are cheating.

But if the government were to suddenly take a more firm stance on the death penalty, it would not be wrong for the government to immediately execute all criminals who are already on death row.

Make sense?
I can agree with this.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo said:

Make sense?
That's right where I was headed.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
Berean Todd,

Ok, but I think Billybob had a point. What if Hitler won World War II, and gained control of America. What should we do? What is the Biblical thing to do?
Work to change the things that you can change.Speak out against the evil that you can't change and suport the government in what they are doing right. It, for example, was ok to suport Hitlers building of highways.

My question is, that if you feel the government should execute all adulterers, then what do you make of this verse

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

I mean honestly, can any guy in this forum say they've never lusted after a woman they're not married to? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't lusting after another woman, even before you've ever been married, still be considered adultery?

Also, apparently bob e promotes death for adultery, but jesus goes on to say "whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery." So under his proposed government wouldn't he be subject to the death penalty?

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Hitler gave the order to build the first Volkswagon Bug....the German word Farfegneugen (sp?) meaning "People's Car"

servent101

beefalobilly
Also, apparently bob e promotes death for adultery, but Jesus goes on to say "whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery." So under his proposed government wouldn't he be subject to the death penalty?

The church would then also kill all homosexuals and lesbians - pronounce that most of the marriages are null in void because they were not preformed in church with the blessing of God, so then all non-believers would be killed who were married, no-one would be allowed to be married unless they had a "church wedding" – hypothetically of course.

For this reason, most sane human beings should stop the church from persecuting homosexuals and lesbians who are good people who don't want to kill anyone, and speak out against the "apostate" doctrines in the church. If the church succeeds in persecuting people of a different sexual orientation than they deem as “normal” they will just fuel their hatred of anything and everything – which is why most people go to church anyways – to find something or someone to hate / or at least they should think about that for a moment or two.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
servent101 said:
beefalobilly

The church would then also kill all homosexuals and lesbians - pronounce that most of the marriages are null in void because they were not preformed in church with the blessing of God, so then all non-believers would be killed who were married, no-one would be allowed to be married unless they had a "church wedding" – hypothetically of course.

For this reason, most sane human beings should stop the church from persecuting homosexuals and lesbians who are good people who don't want to kill anyone, and speak out against the "apostate" doctrines in the church. If the church succeeds in persecuting people of a different sexual orientation than they deem as “normal” they will just fuel their hatred of anything and everything – which is why most people go to church anyways – to find something or someone to hate / or at least they should think about that for a moment or two.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Perhaps, a theological monarchy is only the best government only if nearly all the subjects under it were Christians already....in the Bible Israel had such a government and nearly all the residents of the country were Jews. Such a government would not seem to work in today's world where true believers make up a vast minority.
Just a thought... and maybe that's why Bob's governmental ideas seem so radical....they are Biblical but wouldn't work to well today unless the majority of the world's population were believing Christians.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
servent101 said:
beefalobilly

With Christ's Love

Servent101
There are so many untruths in this post

Zakath

Resident Atheist
beefalobilly said:
Also, apparently bob e promotes death for adultery, but jesus goes on to say "whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery." So under his proposed government wouldn't he be subject to the death penalty?
Nope he gets a pass since, in his fantasy scenario, the goon squads wouldn't be allowed to go after anyone who sinned prior to the change in government...

As people found out in the French Revolution, life is never quite that tidy... :nono:

deardelmar, you support the death penalty for adultery right? At least I think that's what you were implying earlier in the thread.

I'm just curious where you think that places people like me, who have never been married and never committed the physical act of adultery, but have lusted after women too many times to count, and apparently, according to christ, are guilty of adultery of the heart. Would you only advocate death for those who have committed the physical act of adultery? What about people who have married a divorced woman?

servent101 said:
beefalobilly

With Christ's Love

Servent101

I can see what you're saying, although the christians I've encountered in church don't seem to be attending church to find someone to hate. actually, my current pastor has a tendency to denigrate himself from the pulpit which can be kind of annoying!

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
beefalobilly said:
My question is, that if you feel the government should execute all adulterers, then what do you make of this verse

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

I mean honestly, can any guy in this forum say they've never lusted after a woman they're not married to? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't lusting after another woman, even before you've ever been married, still be considered adultery?

Is that how you interpret that scripture?

We don't live in a theocracy. [thankfully]