Anyone Who Thinks Another Person Deserves To Be Raped Is A Knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
nope

but that's the sticking point for many here

that acknowledging the woman's behavior can, in some cases, be contributory, will absolve the rapist of the responsibility for his crime

and so we have the bizarre situation of supposedly christian people defending the choices of women to act like drunken whores

it boggles the mind
You don't understand your own position. If you did you would have addressed the second paragraph in my post instead of ignoring it.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
exactly

when this started, all i was seeking was some acknowledgement that she bears some responsibility for her actions, knowing that those actions put her at risk of the consequences

As stated, this basically seems reasonable. :idunno:

glorydaz

exactly

when this started, all i was seeking was some acknowledgement that she bears some responsibility for her actions, knowing that those actions put her at risk of the consequences

in a Christian setting, it's a moot point

but i'm currently immersed in a very non-Christian setting

Yep....with no concept, whatsoever, of reaping and sowing. The humanists refuse to accept the fact that they are not little gods and may actually have to suffer the consequences for their own bad behavior. So, they call the behavior good and that solves that problem. In the case of rape, it's simple....man bad....woman good. Ugh!!!!

Slutty behavior is not bad, but responding to it is horrible. Not a chance that slutty behavior is bad and responding to it is bad, too. Incredible stupidity here in this non-Christian setting. And some here actually believe that we DESERVE MERCY. Go figure.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I wonder how many people involved in this discussion would approve however of men being raped in prison on the premise that they deserve it (and maybe even find the whole idea a little amusing).

I would not approve.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
a woman goes alone to a frat party, strips, gives lap dances, take whatever drugs are offered her and drinks until she passes out, wakes up the next morning and realizes she's been raped

she refuses to recognize that her behavior in any way contributed to the situation in which she finds herself, a rape victim

what does she deserve?

Nothing. You can't force someone to realize they made a foolish decision. What would you do? :idunno:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
this is one of those subjects in which reason goes out the window

like race

My only comment/criticism, as such, is the following:

Rape isn't strictly speaking a consequence of any action on the part of the woman. Yes, it is a foreseeable risk, but it is not, strictly speaking, a consequence of any actions on her part. Rape, by definition, is always unintended on the part of a woman. Expressed another way: there is no necessary connection between the actions of a woman and the actions of a rapist.

We aren't dealing with necessary laws of nature; we are dealing here with the interaction of free agents.

I wish further to note that, often, the woman actually does bear basically no responsibility for putting herself in any foreseeable danger. What could a woman reasonably do to avoid being stalked by an unknown person and subsequently having her home invaded?

Are you really going to sit her down, look her in the eyes and say: "Now see, what have we learned...you should have bought a gun after all ;)"?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It has those overtones, but not necessarily. It really depends upon what you mean.

We KNOW (in the context of these threads) what was meant. Rape victims DESERVE to be raped.

Yet there are a few who feel the necessity to argue over what they are endorsing.

Two in particular (who claim to be prolife) have even argued previously in favor of abortion in the case of rape. Selective morality much?

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1199

View Poll Results: Should An 11-year-old Rape Victim Be Able To Legally Abort?

Yes
Alate_One, alwight, Angel4Truth, Buzzword, Caino, Dena, Desert Reign, DilatedMind, gcthomas, glorydaz, Granite, John Mortimer, Jukia, keypurr, kiwimacahau, Lordkalvan, mighty_duck, quip, rexlunae, Saved.One.by.Grace, Silent Hunter, Sitamun, The Horn, Tinark, unknown
25 41.67%

No
1PeaceMaker, Arsenios, Bright Raven, Brother Vinny, CatholicCrusader, Christian Liberty, Cruciform, csuguy, Doormat, ebenz47037, Grosnick Marowbe, GuySmiley, I drank what?, intojoy, Jefferson, Knight, Ktoyou, leuchtturm, Lighthouse, LKmommy, lovemeorhateme, Nazaroo, Nick M, oldhermit, republicanchick, resurrected, Rusha, Sherman, Spitfire, Stripe, Tambora, Traditio, TruthSetsFree, WizardofOz, Wunderhund

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Rape isn't strictly speaking a consequence of any action on the part of the woman. Yes, it is a foreseeable risk, but it is not, strictly speaking, a consequence of any actions on her part. Rape, by definition, is always unintended on the part of a woman. Expressed another way: there is no necessary connection between the actions of a woman and the actions of a rapist.

We aren't dealing with necessary laws of nature; we are dealing here with the interaction of free agents.

Well said. Better said than my attempts. :thumb:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

I wish further to note that, often, the woman actually does bear basically no responsibility for putting herself in any foreseeable danger. What could a woman reasonably do to avoid being stalked by an unknown person and subsequently having her home invaded?

Are you really going to sit her down, look her in the eyes and say: "Now see, what have we learned...you should have bought a gun after all ;)"?

again, what started this was the following scenarios, in which the woman should have known that their actions put them at risk:

from here: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4527049&postcount=12

Herewith, a Philadelphia magazine report about Swarthmore College, where in 2013 a student “was in her room with a guy with whom she’d been hooking up for three months”:

“They’d now decided — mutually, she thought — just to be friends. When he ended up falling asleep on her bed, she changed into pajamas and climbed in next to him. Soon, he was putting his arm around her and taking off her clothes. ‘I basically said, “No, I don’t want to have sex with you.” And then he said, “OK, that’s fine” and stopped. . . . And then he started again a few minutes later, taking off my panties, taking off his boxers. I just kind of laid there and didn’t do anything — I had already said no. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed. I let him finish. I pulled my panties back on and went to sleep.’”

Six weeks later, the woman reported that she had been raped.

and

A female student in the dorms invited a male friend over to her dorm room. They were in the room alone with the door closed. He had just come from playing basketball and was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, she was wearing flannel jammies. They started making out on her bed, his hands went places she was ok with at first, but then thought better of and tried to stop. He didn't stop and continued, she didn't cry out for help and afterwards claimed rape.

in those two specific cases (and an awful lot of scenarios that are being discussed on campus at the moment) i am still of the opinion that the choices the women made were directly responsible for the consequences

iow, they chose paths that any reasonable person would have known would lead to an expectation of sex from the male

i want to start another thread eventually on consent and sending mixed signals, because that was clearly at play in both of the two above cases

for example, the second case:

Woman invites man over to her dormroom/bedroom.
Man thinks "Oh boy! We're gonna have sex!"

Woman invites man into dormroom/bedroom.

Woman is wearing pajamas.

Woman and man are alone in dormroom/bedroom.

Woman and man sit down on her bed.

Woman and man start making out.

Woman and man start touching each others bodies.

Woman changes her mind and says no, but doesn't:
1. knee man in the crotch
2. shout "NO!" as loud as she can and cry out for help
3. scratch at man's eyes

the choices/behaviors/actions of the woman were directly responsible for her finding herself in a position of having started something she couldn't stop, or wasn't willing to stop

that doesn't mean she deserved to be raped
that doesn't me she was asking to be raped

what it means is that she was acting like a damn fool

glorydaz

I am an old lady.
I returned fire with fire and as is typical of bullies you couldn't take it.
You are a venom filled mean spirited person.

I'm an old lady, too, so stop trying to play the "poor me" card. And YOU are the chief bully of the lot, so it's a joke to claim otherwise.

And, you're lying....you did not return fire with fire. You jumped on me because I dared to agree with Doser. My only "fire" was the truth that women are as responsible for their own bad behavior just like men are. You can't stand that. Lying about what happened will not change what you have done and said, Bybee. It's all right there for the looking.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I've seen this posting of Koban before. I don't know how to interpret it. "Deserve" could be understood in more than one sense.

1. It could indicate a claim of justice. A deserves B if and only if B is owed to A in justice. Thus, if A deserves to receive B from C, then C commits an act of justice in giving B to A. Thus, "A deserves to be raped" could mean "It is just for somebody to rape A." This reading of Koban, however, seems to be contraindicated by another thread in which he asserted that the commission of rape is always wrong.

2. A deserves B if and only if B is a foreseeable (albeit, perhaps, unintended) and avoidable consequence of some act C, and A commits C, knowing fully well that B could, and indeed, probably would, result in consequence. This is what we customarily mean when we say things like:

A. He had it coming.
B. He made his own bed; now he has to lie in it.
C. He should have known better.

I'm inclined to think tht Koban means the latter sense, but I'm not sure.

What do you think that he is saying?

If he means the latter sense, we do often say things like the following:

"Dude, you parked right out on the street in the middle of the ghetto...left your windows open...and the GPS on the front seat...and somebody stole it? Yup. You had it coming, man. What have we learned?"

Does this ever apply to the case of rape? I'm not prepared to comment on this either way.

I would say case 2 be the case, i.e. questionable judgment. Which does not imply that the rape is justified qua case 1. (Good break down BTW.)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm an old lady, too, so stop trying to play the "poor me" card. And YOU are the chief bully of the lot, so it's a joke to claim otherwise.

And, you're lying....you did not return fire with fire. You jumped on me because I dared to agree with Doser. My only "fire" was the truth that women are as responsible for their own bad behavior just like men are. You can't stand that. Lying about what happened will not change what you have done and said, Bybee. It's all right there for the looking.

No, venom queen, the honor is all yours. You've earned it. :first:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
yes

by the definition of "deserve" as "earned by their actions"

a woman who goes alone to a frat party, strips naked and gives lap dances, takes any drugs handed her and drinks until she passes out has "earned by her actions" the consequences of that behavior, whether it includes rape, permanent brain damage or just a wicked hangover

and gcthomas weighs in with a lengthy rep comment to this post instead of responding in the thread

:mock:gcthomas

Status
Not open for further replies.