Anyone Who Thinks Another Person Deserves To Be Raped Is A Knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
"Just desserts"....a burglar was hiding in the swamp and got eaten by an alligator. You never know what the consequences are going to be for your bad behavior. :think:

"Before he was reported missing, Riggins called his girlfriend to tell her he would be in the area breaking into homes."

http://news.yahoo.com/suspected-burglar-killed-by-alligator-while-hiding-104133932.html#

but no, he didn't deserve this

he deserved to be comforted and coddled and rocked to sleep with a binky

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
True, they have no right to rape you, but that doesn't mean you don't deserve whatever you get (including rape) if you have played the harlot.
Sorry, but no one deserves to be raped. There's no standard by which that's reasonable or moral.

Right, so just increasing the chance for a negative outcome isn't enough to put it in this discussion.
Which is all of the discussion I've seen. It being suggested that people who act a certain way (without desiring the negative outcome) merit the outcome they don't desire. Well, that's just another way of packaging increasing the chance of the negative outcome.

Ah, here we get to the meat of the discussion. God does not command anyone to do evil, correct, but He most certainly does allow evil to come upon us by way of the ungodly in order for us to be punished for our actions.
I think that's dangerously close to creating an indifferent caste system when it comes to suffering. I do believe God does intercede in the affairs of those who love Him and who petition Him in accord with His will.

Morality and legality are often far apart.
Mostly not, but they can be and have been in some fairly important instances. But in the case of rape they're strongly parallel.

Suffering consequences for that behavior can be future infertility....which would be deserved....just deserts. Pleasant? No. But, true, nonetheless.
I'm just not in the business of deciding that. And as I said, if we got what we deserve we'd all be in trouble. I'm more a mercy/grace guy. None of us are better than the next fellow in a way that would be meaningful to God. Absent grace, we fail.

Actually, we are not the ones who are the deciders of how much or how little we deserve. This I do know. If I had stripped at a frat party and ended up being raped, I would freely admit I got what I deserved. To deny that would be lying and failing to take responsibility for my lewd behavior.
No, it wouldn't. There's no standard that's moral or legal that would justify it. Nowhere in the word of God will you find rape as a punishment. Because it's an evil act. There is no good or God in it. So it fails as a moral or secular punishment, if for different reasons.

Nothing justifies rape, but being raped does not suddenly make strippers into innocent victims....
No one is innocent. No one earns anything worth having from God. We are not creatures of merit, but of grace. But if you're raped you're a victim. They're just victims you don't empathize with. The sort of people Christ was condemned for spending too much time among. And the pious people of his day were outraged by it. I understand the impulse, but I think it's inherently dangerous.

the law of man and the law of God are not in agreement on this one. Which is why we see such disagreement on this issue. We're looking at this issue from different perspectives.
I think you're wrong. Supra. The law of God would never justify, condone or set out rape, an evil, as a punishment.

Sorry to hear that, Town. You and your family will be in my prayers.
Thanks. Spent a few hours with him until the room was ready, then I went and drove mom back from resting at home. The prognosis is good. They're doing enzyme testing on him to make sure he didn't have a heart attack, but the doctor feels it was probably something else or a combination of something elses. He's been driving himself pretty hard, works on a number of boards and got up to play a round of golf at six in the morning. :plain: :sigh:

Anyway, that's about all I can think to say on the subject of rape. Good talking with you. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
right, because it was God's will

right, because town-the-tard sez so :dizzy:
No, because both God and the law condemn it. I get that you can't argue very well, but I always assumed you could read. Now go find a good book to curl up with or a bridge to curl up under. You're not very good at this part.

ok doser

No, because both God and the law condemn it. I get that you can't argue very well, but I always assumed you could read. Now go find a good book to curl up with or a bridge to curl up under. You're not very good at this part.

wave that flag at yourself, little boy :chuckle:

Quetzal

Outside of Glory, no one really gives him the time of day.

ok doser

oh, by the way town, i dont believe you've met the latest board tard - he's been vying with artie for top honors

town, meet queetzle

queeztle, go play in traffic :wave2:

glorydaz

Sorry, but no one deserves to be raped. There's no standard by which that's reasonable or moral.

Your saying it doesn't make it so. There is a standard. Reap what you sow. Psalm 28:4

Which is all of the discussion I've seen. It being suggested that people who act a certain way (without desiring the negative outcome) merit the outcome they don't desire. Well, that's just another way of packaging increasing the chance of the negative outcome.

Heavens, no one desires a spanking, either, but they most often deserve one. When you use common sense, you don't need any "packaging".

I think that's dangerously close to creating an indifferent caste system when it comes to suffering. I do believe God does intercede in the affairs of those who love Him and who petition Him in accord with His will.

Nothing dangerous at all. God intercedes in the affairs of unbelievers in order to draw them to Himself. There are many reasons God would allow bad things to come as a result of our bad behavior. Keeping us from even more evil is one of those things. I'm confident the Lord was working in my life long before I turned to Him for salvation.

I'm just not in the business of deciding that. And as I said, if we got what we deserve we'd all be in trouble. I'm more a mercy/grace guy. None of us are better than the next fellow in a way that would be meaningful to God. Absent grace, we fail.

Yeah, I'm more mercy and grace myself, but God is in the business of drawing and conforming us. Nothing is outside the boundaries of what God allows to come upon us. In fact, I go so far as to say that if God allows a stripper to be raped, it can be exactly what she needs to turn her from the path she was embarked on. It may very well cause her to turn to God for His mercy and grace....because it may make her see her guilt. Telling her she did nothing wrong is the exact opposite of telling her the truth....that she had done wrong, but God could forgive her.

No, it wouldn't. There's no standard that's moral or legal that would justify it. Nowhere in the word of God will you find rape as a punishment. Because it's an evil act. There is no good or God in it. So it fails as a moral or secular punishment, if for different reasons.

I realize it's hard for man to fathom, but your saying so does not mean it's the truth. Women being raped was a punishment God allowed.

No one is innocent. No one earns anything worth having from God. We are not creatures of merit, but of grace. But if you're raped you're a victim. They're just victims you don't empathize with. The sort of people Christ was condemned for spending too much time among. And the pious people of his day were outraged by it. I understand the impulse, but I think it's inherently dangerous.

Wrong. I empathize more than you seem to think. I was headed down the road to destruction....not as a stripper, but close enough. Just because you don't hear what I'm saying, doesn't mean you should jump to such silly conclusions as you have done here. No offense intended. ;) It's like saying I can't see sinful behavior and call it what it is without condemning the person committing the act. I believe that I have more love and sympathy than those who only see the stripper as a VICTIM. She's a victim of her own iniquities that are killing her. Pretending like she's innocent is not doing her any favors.

I think you're wrong. Supra. The law of God would never justify, condone or set out rape, an evil, as a punishment.

Never? God can't use the evils of ungodly men to punish us? Is that what you're' saying? I think you're wrong about that. God allows a wide variety of horrible things to come upon wrong doers, and he uses ungodly men and their evil deeds all the time. Punishment takes on many forms. Hosea 9:14 Denying that seems a bit naïve to me. Zech. 14:2

Isaiah 13:16
Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.

Lamentations 5:11
They ravished the women in Zion, and the maids in the cities of Judah.​

Status
Not open for further replies.