An Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Oh, brother! When I heard "bury the hatchet" I thought catty was gonna bury it in someone's head.

What a gyp.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Mr Heretic, I paid a great price to give my positions up - but not my character. And seeing as you don't know me or my history you have no position upon which to judge that character.
Mostly people call me TH or Town or Townie...But Chris, I didn't comment on your character, only noted character as you chose to focus and define it. It's peculiar to judge people as falling short of a standard you can't reasonably value. Oh, you might be meaning to illustrate a degree of hypocrisy (in which case you need to be a little more definite in setting out the deficiency) but when you do you leave yourself open to the sort of notice I made.
I made my statement about character while irritated and admittedly it was a bit rash.
You should understand that this place is frequently visited by people who make certain sorts of declarations that, after a time, the more experienced around here come to see patterns of future behavior in. You made a familiar sound. It resonated a particular way among more than a few. If you're going to be the exception you just have to stick with it until everyone can see it. Until then...
Keep in mind Mr. Heretic, I was attacked by others, not the other way around.
Rather, you inadvertently offended and were met with a relative level of strong response.
But that is history. Mrs. Catty and I have buried the hatchet have begun a new relationship.
A wise move and not only because she's a mod, but because she's also an interesting, thoughtful and good soul...that she wields a mighty troll hammer is a pure bonus point, to my mind. :chuckle:
Hopefully, she may help me to change my avatar one day. Won't that be nice? ;)
It would be lovely...one koban is (however charmingly :plain:) sufficient.

allsmiles

No its not pathetic. What say you?

Explain the difference?

Allsmiles - are you really under the impression James is not the half brother of Jesus? I do know Greek, and in this context (the verse in question) the Greek is an aside. I wasn't trying to assert James as Jesus Brother through this verse. If I had - you would be correct.

I understand that you weren't asserting James' alleged kinship to Jesus, but it's a common misconception and I took the opportunity to point it out.

No, I don't believe James was Jesus' half brother. That's not what Paul says, that's not what any of the earliest Christians believed.

ChrisGergen

Awww, that's sad. We just got our girls a dog in March. A Springer Spaniel. Her name is Maisy Lou. She's a pain, but part of the family and we love her.

Aimiel

And seeing as you don't know me or my history you have no position upon which to judge that character.
We can infer, from your having professed to have left the 'Christian faith' as you put it, that you aren't a man of your word. God said that He would be found by those who seek and search for Him with their whole heart, and He has yet to be proven to be a liar. I believe that, had you done so, you would have found Him, instead of cold dead religion, which seems to be all that you have found and then left. I was actually on the verge of leaving the same (cold dead religion) when The Lord revealed Himself to me. I'd gotten saved at about twelve (raised by atheists, but visited a friend's Baptist church for VBS). I searched for God, with my whole heart, for about seven years, and was just about to give up my search when He revealed Himself to me very personally and very dramatically. I'm sure He'd do the same for anyone and everyone who might be seeking and searching for Him with their whole heart, mind and strength.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Aimiel, this song and dance of yours is intensely insulting whether you know it or not. A tiny bit of respect won't kill you or the Scotsman you rode in on.

ChrisGergen

That's a fair assertion.

But I did not go back on my word - I changed my opinion because of evidence I found to be and believe to be true. I did search for about two years and asked numerous people that are very well educated (with Masters and PhD's and ThD's) to provide the physical evidence that supported our commonly held and unchallenged beliefs in the church. The evidence they provided always required the presupposition that the Bible was true. But what if we take that assumption away? Shouldn't the evidence still lead you to the same conclusion? Obviously, for me it didn't.

And please understand, I didn't just flippantly abandon my faith. This was a process that took two years to progress through and many, many talks with friends and theologians. When I left I lost all of my Christian friends. My ministry was publically disavowed (which is fine - I had done this myself) and my family received very mean treatment from many people we loved and counted as friends for life.

My searching was genuine. I did not leave because I was hurt. I left because I became aware of information I was unaware of before. Its that simple. I continued to this day to still reach out to people and work to help for the betterment of society and encourage my children to do the same. I have the philosophy that we all are charged to leave this life and this world better than you found it and to live each day to its fullest. I don't fear death and my life is peaceful. I love my life and I continue to be very happy.

Aimiel

Aimiel, this song and dance of yours is intensely insulting whether you know it or not. A tiny bit of respect won't kill you or the Scotsman you rode in on.
If I didn't respect the guy, I wouldn't bother with attempting to bridge his communication misfortunes, by making inroads to show him the way to The Lord. If I didn't respect you, I'd not bother responding to anything you say, but rather put you on ignore. It isn't my choice to love others and desire that they be saved, it is God's command and it is ingrained into my heart by His Presence. I am a worm of a man, and had hatred and disdain for all those not 'like' me enough to please my ego. God washed all that away with His Love for others, and operates His Will through all those whose hearts are yielded to Him, whether in small ways or large, by whatever means He pleases whenever He pleases. Your whining about vitrol or hatred that is perceived or imagined by you is of less than little consequence (actually none) but merely points out your own hatred of Christians and Christ, Himself. Please buy a clue.

ChrisGergen

Aimiel, I respect your last post and the love you have for both God and man, but please dispense with the self depreciating talk. Its a feigned humility that is disgusting. Christians wear it as a badge to prop themselves up psychologically and others find it especially insulting because those same people turn around with vicious might to slander those around them. Christians learned this from reading the works of Paul (he was famous for this type chicanery) and it just discredits your true faith.

Aimiel

My searching was genuine.
Whatever you sow is what you reap. Had your search for God been genuine (as in: seeking and searching with ALL of your heart) you would have found Him, as He said.
I continued to this day to still reach out to people and work to help for the betterment of society and encourage my children to do the same. I have the philosophy that we all are charged to leave this life and this world better than you found it and to live each day to its fullest. I don't fear death and my life is peaceful. I love my life and I continue to be very happy.
What is done in the name of charity isn't always for Christ. What is done for Christ is what matters; the rest is filthy rags, no matter how it might 'seem.' There is a way that 'seems' right to a man, but the end is the way of death.

Aimiel

Aimiel, I respect your last post and the love you have for both God and man, but please dispense with the self depreciating talk. Its a feigned humility that is disgusting. Christians wear it as a badge to prop themselves up psychologically and others find it especially insulting because those same people turn around with vicious might to slander those around them. Christians learned this from reading the works of Paul (he was famous for this type chicanery) and it just discredits your true faith.
What I said is truth, whether you understand it or agree with it or not. Please edit your own remarks, and I'll continue to edit my own. I don't need props, I stand on The Living Word of God, not my own imaginary god.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.