An Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
If I didn't respect the guy, I wouldn't bother with attempting to bridge his communication misfortunes, by making inroads to show him the way to The Lord. If I didn't respect you, I'd not bother responding to anything you say, but rather put you on ignore. It isn't my choice to love others and desire that they be saved, it is God's command and it is ingrained into my heart by His Presence. I am a worm of a man, and had hatred and disdain for all those not 'like' me enough to please my ego. God washed all that away with His Love for others, and operates His Will through all those whose hearts are yielded to Him, whether in small ways or large, by whatever means He pleases whenever He pleases. Your whining about vitrol or hatred that is perceived or imagined by you is of less than little consequence (actually none) but merely points out your own hatred of Christians and Christ, Himself. Please buy a clue.

Polish your good guy badge in front of somebody else. And stop insulting both myself and Chris, you're capable of better.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Aimiel, I respect your last post and the love you have for both God and man, but please dispense with the self depreciating talk. Its a feigned humility that is disgusting.
Strange, Chris, that you respect his belief but not its expression...That isn't really giving him the credit you mean to extend, is it.
Christians wear it as a badge to prop themselves up psychologically and others find it especially insulting because those same people turn around with vicious might to slander those around them.
How about this: some Christians wear faux humility as a means of self glorification. Some are actually humble and sincere if a bit dramatic in their illustration. Others (sadly, present company) are only humble when literally compared to God...
Christians learned this from reading the works of Paul (he was famous for this type chicanery) and it just discredits your true faith.
Two things: first, you may be completely wrong about the workings of Paul's heart. Just because a man understands his flesh it doesn't mean he won't fail on that account. In fact, Paul would and did relate the very thing...Second, if the faith is objectively true it can't be discredited and if it isn't, well, it can only be meaningfully discredited by the holder of it. The external judgments of others, in any event, can't really factor in. :e4e:

ChrisGergen

Aimiel:

Why is it so difficult for Christians to think they could be wrong or that their version of the world isn't everyone else's version.

My heart was and is genuine. I know my heart as does God. I know you will quote the place where it says it is full of evil continually - but the reality is we all fight with things that people deem evil. What did Paul say, All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. But God has shown His grace to all of humanity. No savior is required as the Jews believe. The work of the Gospel is love and acts of love - Love thy Neighbor. The Good Samaritan wasn't a Jew and thus excluded from the covenant of God in the eyes of the Jews. But in the eyes of your Jesus the Samaritan fulfilled the law, was approved by God and the Jews in the story weren't.

Please don't speak down to how I choose to live my life and reach out to the world because I came to a different conclusion. Your arrogance in assuming you must be right because your a card carrying member is ridiculous and that of a neophyte.

TH: Fair enough on some points but I disagree with others - specifically Paul. Paul was a braggart and a liar. Of the 27 NT books and the numerous writers he is the only writer to assert he is not lying - in fact I believe he has to say this 6 or 8 times (I can't remember - I'll check). The reason? It was commonly though he was an arrogant liar. That was where I got what I said about Paul in my previous post.

And yes, I do respect his position, but his expression is obviously feigned and self-righteous as evidenced by his need to assert himself as a worm. If he makes the assertion he is a worm, why should I see him as anything but that?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Aimiel:
TH: Fair enough on some points but I disagree with others - specifically Paul. Paul was a braggart and a liar.
That, friend Chris, would be an opinion and conjecture. You're entitled to your own, but you aren't entitled to his, or mine or...

And it's just as easy to say a man accused of lying will protest his innocence or let his silence stand as consent to the judgment.
And yes, I do respect his position, but his expression is obviously feigned and self-righteous as evidenced by his need to assert himself as a worm.
Again, dramatic certainly, but unless you can read a man's heart you can't know what's in it and taking exception to it serves no real purpose. It's one thing to dispute the reasonableness of a proposition and something else when you tell a man how genuinely he holds it.
If he makes the assertion he is a worm, why should I see him as anything but that?
Because the comparison he's making is with God's nature and not your own. :e4e:

Aimiel

Aimiel:

Why is it so difficult for Christians to think they could be wrong or that their version of the world isn't everyone else's version.
Ego, maybe. Yeah, probably ego.
My heart was and is genuine.
Well, you haven't proven God a liar, or made yourself appear completely honest.
I know my heart as does God.
Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
I know you will quote the place where it says it is full of evil continually - but the reality is we all fight with things that people deem evil.
The Word of God is reality, the rest is subject to That Word. You fail to understand Truth because you've never seen The Kingdom.
What did Paul say, All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Not being Christian, you aren't capable of making lectures to Christians, regarding their Christianity. :duh:
Please don't speak down to how I choose to live my life and reach out to the world because I came to a different conclusion. Your arrogance in assuming you must be right because your a card carrying member is ridiculous and that of a neophyte.
Your self-righteousness is excusable, but others' isn't. Noted. :think:

Aimiel

The Bottom Line

The Bottom Line

One with experience will never bow to one who thinks he has 'knowledge.'

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Treating other people with respect isn't too difficult and it's not hard to avoid rehashing the very same insults and assumptions you've offered before. This is the same exact routine you always go through whenever dealing with someone who left the faith. It's old, and it's boring. And you get more obnoxious and less reasonable whenever you start regurgitating this nonsense.

ChrisGergen

Aimiel:

I'm glad you've noted what I said. Possibly you'll refrain from partaking in such diatribe in the future - since of course you've already noted it.

Aimiel

How cute. Did you come up with that lame response all by yourself or did a third grader help you out?

:third:
Please don't speak down to how I choose to live my life and reach out to the world because I came to a different conclusion than yourself. Your arrogance in assuming you must be right because you're a card-carrying non-member is ridiculous and that of a neophyte.

C

cattyfan

I know we’re supposed to have buried the hatchet, but that doesn’t mean I’ll let hypocrisy pass.

You said:

Aimiel:

My heart was and is genuine. I know my heart as does God. I know you will quote the place where it says it is full of evil continually - but the reality is we all fight with things that people deem evil. What did Paul say, All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. But God has shown His grace to all of humanity. No savior is required as the Jews believe. The work of the Gospel is love and acts of love - Love thy Neighbor. The Good Samaritan wasn't a Jew and thus excluded from the covenant of God in the eyes of the Jews. But in the eyes of your Jesus the Samaritan fulfilled the law, was approved by God and the Jews in the story weren't.

Quoting Paul in this manner would lead one to believe at least part of you still puts stock in the Bible…unless you’re quoting as part of your defense something you don’t actually believe (which would make your argument disingenuous, or possibly even a lie.) And as you go on to assert that Paul (in your opinion) was not trustworthy, why would you choose his words as part of your argument?

Of course you also say:

Paul was a braggart and a liar. Of the 27 NT books and the numerous writers he is the only writer to assert he is not lying - in fact I believe he has to say this 6 or 8 times (I can't remember - I'll check). The reason? It was commonly though he was an arrogant liar.

Of course people who didn’t believe him (or still don’t believe in Christ) would assert that a firm believer like Paul was/is a liar. That’s the only refuge they have from dealing with the truth.

As for the “bragging,” while Paul is a believer, he is still a man…and people (as Paul stated clearly) all fall short of the Glory of God. We all sin. Good thing for us God is merciful and forgiving.

You yourself began your time here by both bragging and misrepresenting. In fact, you issued an apology to me on this thread for those very things. Let’s check the replay:

I am fairly well educated former Pastor who has left the Christian faith and hold a more agnostic worldview than anything else. In NO way am I meaning to antagonize or rob anyone out of their faith. This is not my purpose in joining. I am not argumentative but will challenge your thinking and I am not afraid to push back on intellectual arguments.

As long as others play nice with me an engage me in a spirit of respect, I will of course oblige them in return. Because we disagree does not mean we must be disagreeable.

Now, what shall we discuss?

We’ve already gone over why your phrasing was misleading, and you did in fact apologize for it.

However, you also made sure to point out your own good deeds, done not for the love of God, but for your “love of people” and apparently your own glory.

I was unpaid - but not volunteer. Serving God was an honor I did because I love people.

How many people have you fed?

How many drunks have you counseled?

How many prostitutes have you pulled out of the rain?

How many children have you housed because their parents were drug addicts?

Don't talk down to me. I've been in the trenches both in wartime and in the ministry. I don't have a Masters to hang on the wall. But I have a laundry list of people that would stand up and say I saved their lives because I loved them. So don't speak down to me without knowing were I've been.

Does it make you in the least discomforted to do the very things you (cavalierly and without proof) accuse others of having done?

ChrisGergen

Catty, unlike you, I am not going to bring up things that have been buried. Especially when you are the one who made it your mission in life to attack me. Check the record. You started in on me. Check the record, Aimie started in on me.

Please, leave this alone. Or I'll simply report you to you again so you can reissue a statement to yourself and give yourself another warning. If it continues you may have to ban yourself for being rude and argumentative.

And by the way, I never apologized for what I said about myself. I apologized for my part in our misunderstanding.

I can used Scripture to my benefit my argument because it is being used against me. What is good for the goose is good for the gander...

always_learning

Come on people, get over it!

ChrisGergen introduced himself like all the other newbies on TOL - they all share something about themselves that they think would be interesting to the rest of us. Also, since most of them don't make a list of vices, they all brag themselves up to one degree or another. So cattyfan decided to do a little background checking on him and he mis-worded or even embellished his experience - do we have to jump all over him for it? He already apologized for his end of the misunderstanding.

If you wanna argue theology, start a thread on it and question his viewpoint - quit attacking him personally. So he's different - aren't we all? Quit acting like little kids; just because we don't agree doesn't mean we have to fight tooth and nail about it.

ChrisGergen said:
As long as others play nice with me an engage me in a spirit of respect, I will of course oblige them in return. Because we disagree does not mean we must be disagreeable.

Amazing how hard this is for people to grasp sometimes. I apologize on behalf of everyone who's too proud or bullheaded to; ChrisGergen, we've over-reacted and we're sorry.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Come on people, get over it!
No. :nono: :chuckle:
...do we have to jump all over him for it?
Do you have to go to Disney World?
He already apologized for his end of the misunderstanding.
Well then, we were only agreeing with him...:eek:
If you wanna argue theology, start a thread on it and question his viewpoint - quit attacking him personally.
I'm actually getting along with Chris, but to stay in the moment, should that be before or after he stops calling Paul a liar and insinuating that Christians are suffering from some deficiency?
So he's different - aren't we all?
No. I'm exactly as I was a moment ago. :plain:
Quit acting like little kids;
NO, YOU quit acting like a little kid! :D
just because we don't agree doesn't mean we have to fight tooth and nail about it.
That's what the Nazi's said. :shocked:
Amazing how hard this is for people to grasp sometimes. I apologize on behalf of everyone who's too proud or bullheaded to; ChrisGergen, we've over-reacted and we're sorry.
And I'd just like to take a moment to apologize for my good friend always_learning's overstatement concerning many of us who were, until that moment, merely basking in the glow of a not uncommon group noob beat-down.

ChrisGergen

TH - I definitely felt the love.

By the way Paul was a liar. With his pants on fire...if he wore pants. Maybe his dress on fire. Either way, liar, liar.:doh:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TH - I definitely felt the love.

By the way Paul was a liar. With his pants on fire...if he wore pants. Maybe his dress on fire. Either way, liar, liar.:doh:

You think THIS was a beat-down, you should go to Scotland with that mouth on you. :maxi:

It'd be like watching a baby chic caught in combine gears. :shocked:

I think I actually saw that on HBO a while back...Faces of Death 23: Put Down On The Farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.