Has the Law been done away with?

dodge

The writer of Hebrews said a change of law.

Hebrews 7:12 NASB - 12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.

hn 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
My words are not different. When I debate you I feel that I am debating someone with some kind of learning disability.

Even if it were true that I have a learning disability, that should not create a problem or produce any difficulty or obstacle.

Danoh

Very true.

The point is that grace and truth came in Jesus Christ.

No.

You are reading your ideas into that.

What is John chapter 1 talking about throughout the chapter, both before and after he says that in John 1:17?

I know you RIGHTLY understand that John is NOT saying that the Law was done away with (though you then WRONGLY conclude it applies to you).

What then is the truth and grace that John relates there that came by Jesus Christ?

Read what John the Baptist was asked; what he answered; and what the Apostles said to one another about Christ.

Read Luke 1 and 2 in connection with the question - what is this grace and truth that John relates came by Jesus Christ?

What is THEIR understanding of that?

This is not the Grace that Paul preached.

So what is it?

Set aside your ideas about this - seek to answer it BEFORE Paul's writings.

Are you willing to at least try to do that?

John tells his readers why he wrote John.

This truth and grace that the people depicted throughout John - what is it they understand about both?

What did the Samaritan women in John 4 say to the Christ about Him?

What did the Christ say this truth and grace was in John 5 and in John 8?

What did the blind man say to the Christ and what did He say to that blind man?

Get out of your own ideas.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No.

You are reading your ideas into that.

What is John chapter 1 talking about throughout the chapter, both before and after he says that in John 1:17?

I know you RIGHTLY understand that John is NOT saying that the Law was done away with (though you then WRONGLY conclude it applies to you).

What then is the truth and grace that John relates there that came by Jesus Christ?

Read what John the Baptist was asked; what he answered; and what the Apostles said to one another about Christ.

Read Luke 1 and 2 in connection with the question - what is this grace and truth that John relates came by Jesus Christ?

What is THEIR understanding of that?

This is not the Grace that Paul preached.

So what is it?

Set aside your ideas about this - seek to answer it BEFORE Paul's writings.

Are you willing to at least try to do that?

John tells his readers why he wrote John.

This truth and grace that the people depicted throughout John - what is it they understand about both?

What did the Samaritan women in John 4 say to the Christ about Him?

What did the Christ say this truth and grace was in John 5 and in John 8?

What did the blind man say to the Christ and what did He say to that blind man?

Get out of your own ideas.

Jesus came before Paul's writings. I have read the scriptures here you mentioned.

What is God's Law?

We are to observe the law of the land in which we live, according to God. How much more God's Law?

I believe God's Law is the Torah, the Law, the Pentateuch, the Law of Moses, Old Covenant Law.

What are we to observe as new covenant believers?

Can you see my question here?

I believe I am to obey everything from Jesus including everything found in the New Testament writings. And why not everything found in the Torah and everything found in the TaNaKh, convert or not? It is all God's word. In Judaism we do have the new covenant in Yeshua promised by God in the prophet Jeremiah.

Danoh

It was too much for you to seek out what I WAS talking about - about how you might study out what John 1:17 is talking about.

Instead, you go off into the thing I mentioned only once, and that, in passing, as I was talking about the other.

You might reread my post.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It was too much for you to seek out what I WAS talking about - about how you might study out what John 1:17 is talking about.

Instead, you go off into the thing I mentioned only once, and that, in passing, as I was talking about the other.

You might reread my post.

I did read your post and gave my full attention to it.

Years ago I came across John 1:17, before I knew much of anything about the Law. God taught me about salvation in Jesus not being of works. Not only did Jesus come in grace He came in truth. Salvation is by grace. But this is about Jesus. We have Moses and the Law. And we have grace and truth in Jesus Christ.

Ben Masada

Matthew 5:17 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

Has the Law been done away with?

http://www.thenarrowpath.com/archive/TNP160509H.mp3

Well, take a look out the door into the sky and tell us if the sun and the moon are still up there in place. If they are, you have the evidence that the Law has not yet been done away with. Jesus would not have lied.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I am familiar with the following words and phrases people use.

The Law has been done away with.

The Law has been abolished.

The Law has been annulled.

The Law has been destroyed.

I don't know where people get this from. Jesus said He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets but to fulfill. To the best of my understanding that He fulfilled the Law and the Prophets does not mean the Law has been abolished.

Some people say that in Jesus' death all was accomplished and therefore the Law has been abolished. I don't see this.

I believe Jesus died for the forgiveness of sins of all who would believe, proving power over death by rising from the dead never to die again. In defeating death I believe we can see that death being defeated where death is the consequence for sin means that the power of sin has lost its hold. The free gift of eternal life with the forgiveness of sins even now means not that one should sin but that his or her sin is forgiven. The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord. Reckon yourself dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. The penalty for your sin is death, and that penalty has been paid. Therefore, obey God in the freedom from sin and its power purchased for you in the death of Jesus the Messiah God's Son. The penalty was paid once for all. Not only for your sin, but for the sin of all who would call on the name of the Lord so as to be saved. Have faith in God, and be saved by His grace!