Has the Law been done away with?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You've already said that.

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
That's what He told the twelve to teach to enter the kingdom.

And here's what He told Paul to teach to enter the BOC.

Romans 3 KJV
(20) Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.​

Things that differ are not the same.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Romans 3 KJV
(20) Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.​

I don't believe Paul was contradicting Jesus Tambora.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't believe Paul was contradicting Jesus Tambora.
It is not contradicting because it is not for the same purpose.

Just as .....

Matthew 16:1 KJV
(1) The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven.​

.... does not contradict ....

Matthew 28:19 KJV​
(19) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:​

... because it is not for the same purpose.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Matthew 5:18-20 NASB - 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Acts 3:18 NASB - 18 "But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled.

Danoh

Two questions, Jacob.

1 - What things does Acts 3:18 specifically say were fulfilled?

2 - Do you believe as some do (I don't) that the following has been fulfilled?

Acts 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

Acts 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Two questions, Jacob.

1 - What things does Acts 3:18 specifically say were fulfilled?
What the prophets said, that Christ would suffer.
2 - Do you believe as some do (I don't) that the following has been fulfilled?

Acts 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

Acts 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
I do not believe the return of Jesus Christ has yet occurred.

Danoh

What the prophets said, that Christ would suffer.
I do not believe the return of Jesus Christ has yet occurred.

Meaning that Jesus has not fulfilled all the Law and the Prophets - only what pertained to his 1st Advent, Matt. 5:17.

For Jesus was a Dispensationalist, Luke 12:42; Acts 1:7.

When you know what Dispensationalism actually refers to.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Meaning that Jesus has not fulfilled all the Law and the Prophets - only what pertained to his 1st Advent, Matt. 5:17.

For Jesus was a Dispensationalist, Luke 12:42; Acts 1:7.

When you know what Dispensationalism actually refers to.

Are you referring to the economy of time view or the view that the different covenants are different dispensations? Other than this some speak only of the dispensation of the Law and the dispensation of grace. But a dispensation or stewardship is what Paul was entrusted with.

1 Corinthians 9:17 NASB - 17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.

Ephesians 3:2 NASB - 2 if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace which was given to me for you;

Colossians 1:25 NASB - 25 Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,

genuineoriginal

Romans 3 KJV

Here is what Paul taught about entering the kingdom:

Acts 14:19-22
19 And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.
20 Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,
22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.​

Danoh

Here is what Paul taught about entering the kingdom:

Acts 14:19-22
19 And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.
20 Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,
22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.​

Is that the same realm within the kingdom of God (Heaven AND Earth, Eph. 3:15) that Matthew 5 has in mind?

In Matthew 5, He expects them to keep the Law and to teach it to others (the Deuteronomy 6 principle of Shiva).

Can't get around the Luke 12:44 principle of...

1. A Lord;
2. His Household;
3. His appointed Steward;
4. THEIR Meat;
5. In THEIR DUE Season.

Ben Masada

Matthew 5:8
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Don't see what's so hard for some to comprehend.

What I understand from this text is that the token of fulfillment is not by Jesus only but by all; all the world. Hence, the Law would remain in existence as long as heaven and earth remain in existence. It could not be only the fulfilling of Jesus because he kept himself throughout his life insisting with all of us to listen to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:29-31)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Are you referring to the economy of time view or the view that the different covenants are different dispensations? Other than this some speak only of the dispensation of the Law and the dispensation of grace. But a dispensation or stewardship is what Paul was entrusted with.

1 Corinthians 9:17 NASB - 17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.

Ephesians 3:2 NASB - 2 if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace which was given to me for you;

Colossians 1:25 NASB - 25 Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,

Was Paul saying in this verse that he has a stewardship entrusted to him or that he does this voluntarily?

1 Corinthians 9:14-23 NASB - 14 So also the Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel. 15 But I have used none of these things. And I am not writing these things so that it will be done so in my case; for it would be better for me to die than have any man make my boast an empty one. 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. 17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. 18 What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. 19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.