Arkansas Church Kicks Out Young Gay Man For ‘Choosing A Sinful Lifestyle’

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
He knows it originates in the mind and heart too, and pretends otherwise. It has to be pretend, since his stance makes no logical sense whatever.

"purex" and "logical" don't appear to be all that familiar with each other :idunno:

PureX

Sin is in the mind, the body and the soul. That is why sin separates us from each other and from God.
Nope. Sin is a spiritual malady. It may effect the body, eventually, but it does not originate there.

lifeisgood

Jesus was a Jew. We are not. So the fact that Jesus honored his Jewish religious heritage has nothing to do with us. I'm sure Jesus followed lots of ancient Jewish religious proscriptions, like not eating pork, and not associating with women while on their periods. And a hundred other religious laws like that.

But unless we are Jews, there is no reason for us to be ascribing to those ancient religious dictums, today. Even modern Jews no longer follow many of them.

So claiming that Jesus wants us to consider homosexuality an abomination because he was a Jew, 2000 years ago, is a VERY weak argument. Especially when you don't ascribe to many of those ancient religious biases, prejudices, and laws anymore, YOURSELF. You just pick out the ones that suit your prejudices.
That's a very weak and reaching argument, too. Because he DIDN'T condemn homosexuality. And you have to invent some silly inverse sophistry to try and claim that he did.

It's sad that you feel you need to work so hard just to maintain such a bias.

Being that I am sure you DO "not murder", you DO "not steal," you DO "honor your father and mother," you DO "not covet your neighbor's things;" therefore, you're are a Jew? :think:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Did he really? We don't know.
Are you saying that because it's something you don't like? :chuckle:

But it would seem an odd thing for Jesus to say, knowing that it's an impossible command for any human to obey.
So....he should tell her to sin just a little bit? :AMR: Sheesh. That's silly. The goal is to be perfect as our Father is perfect, even if it's unreachable in our current state.

Jesus said nothing about homosexuality one way or another. And that's because he taught that sin was a state of the heart and mind (spirit), not a condition of our genitals. And his church had him murdered for that.
It's true he didn't speak about homosexuality but you don't know why he didn't. Neither do I. But if you are saying he was OK with it then you are speculating more than those who would say Jesus wasn't.

The problem is that you insist on thinking that homosexuality is a sin, when it is not, as I have already explained several times. The sin does not take place in the genitalia. It takes place in the heart and mind, when we seek to exploit and abuse others for our own gain, pleasure, or satisfaction. Anyone can use (abuse) sexuality as an expression of sin, but the sexuality does NOT DEFINE THE SIN. The MOTIVATION defines the sin. You can't seem to grasp this because you are so stuck in your idolatry of ancient Jewish religious texts that express the pre-Christian idea that sin is the breaking of some ancient Jewish religious law.
I actually haven't said anything about my views on homosexuality. That's more of your projection. And again, you accuse others of being so stuck in such-and-such and fail to see the irony/hypocrisy because you appear to be so stuck in your own thinking.

My views on homosexuality are irrelevant to what I'm saying. I'm not trying to convince you to believe it's a sin, or even to support what this church did. My main point in talking to you has been about your unfair assumptions and accusations about why this church's leadership did what they did.

Their whole region is based on authoritarianism. It's all about harming those who dare to deny their imagined "authority". That's the whole purpose of the shunning: to punish the homo for not kow-towing to the imagined authority of their 2000 year old Jewish religious text. They call themselves Christians, but they worship ancient Judaism. The religion that murdered Jesus precisely because he illuminated the difference between divine love within the human spirit, and the emptiness of religious dogma.
It's not really authoritarian. They aren't forcing him to do anything. Membership means A, B, and C and this guy rejects C so they cut out the membership. It's not really punishment and it's not authoritarian, unless you think any/all membership is authoritarian. They aren't even banning him from the church completely.

"Emptiness of religious dogma", but you appear to be calling the law that Jesus upheld 'religious dogma'. Jesus is hard to grasp. For all you accuse them of worshiping ancient Judaism you are worshiping a few statements from Jesus that are nice and non-judgmental. Jesus can't be pigeon-holed.

Being a homosexual is not a sin. So he does not need to be forgiven for that.
Yes, that's your view.

Who knows, he might sprout wings and fly away like an angel, too.

You get the point.
Umm...I guess I do? :idunno:

Most of the sins we commit are unconscious. So it's not likely that we will know them all, specifically. Yet we do know that we live most of our lives being selfish, self-centered, and in fear of not getting what we want. So we do know that we often act on these motives even when we are unaware of them.

Yet we can know we need forgiveness, even when we don't exactly know what for. Once we understand that the sin is in the motive, and not the act, we realize we don't need to know every sinful act to know that we have sinned. And often, there is no act, yet our desire to commit such an act was sin enough.
Not sure how this is a response to what I said. However, I find it interesting that in one sentence you say most sins are unconscious and then later say (and in other places) that sin is in the motive. Are people unconscious of their motives? :idunno:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It's true he didn't speak about homosexuality but you don't know why he didn't. Neither do I. But if you are saying he was OK with it then you are speculating more than those who would say Jesus wasn't.

I know why, because it was already a sin in the law, He was speaking to those who already had and read and knew the law, and He also clearly defined marriage and its purpose, once that is established, there is no need to add all the things that marriage and its intent, isnt. (See Matthew chapter 19)

Huckleberry

And yet, Jesus still said 'go and sin no more'.
Did he really? We don't know. But it would seem an odd thing for Jesus to say, knowing that it's an impossible command for any human to obey.
It's not an odd thing for Christ to say at all. That is what the law said. Do not sin.

Yes, it's an impossible command for us to keep. That is why He gave Himself that we could be freed from the yoke of the law. So, if Christ forgave this woman her sins and yet she was still under the law...of course He would tell her to sin no more! She was still under the law.

What good did that commandment do her then? If she could not keep the law, could not be accounted as righteous under the law, why command her to keep the law?

What does the law teach us? Where does it lead us? To Christ, who can save us where the law cannot.

The same law that condemns homosexual sex on penalty of death.

Last edited:

PureX

Being that I am sure you DO "not murder", you DO "not steal," you DO "honor your father and mother," you DO "not covet your neighbor's things;" therefore, you're are a Jew? :think:
I don't do or not do any of those things because of Judaism. So no, I'm not a Jew.

PureX

Are you saying that because it's something you don't like?
I'm saying it because none of us were there, so we don't know what actually happened, or what was actually said.
So....he should tell her to sin just a little bit? That's silly. The goal is to be perfect as our Father is perfect, even if it's unreachable in our current state.
So you'd rather presume that Jesus went around placing irrational demands on people?
I'm saying the provincial religious biases of the day are irrelevant. Jesus did explain sin to us. And as he explained it, it is something that occurs in us by the motive of our heart and mind. Not by breaking some ancient religious rule.
I actually haven't said anything about my views on homosexuality. That's more of your projection. And again, you accuse others of being so stuck in such-and-such and fail to see the irony/hypocrisy because you appear to be so stuck in your own thinking.

My views on homosexuality are irrelevant to what I'm saying. I'm not trying to convince you to believe it's a sin, or even to support what this church did. My main point in talking to you has been about your unfair assumptions and accusations about why this church's leadership did what they did.
All you're doing is trying to deflect the sting of the accusation by accusing the accuser. And the only people who will fall for that are those who will fall for anything, no matter how silly or unreasoned, so long as it thwarts an accusation that they don't want to face.
It's not really authoritarian. They aren't forcing him to do anything. Membership means A, B, and C and this guy rejects C so they cut out the membership. It's not really punishment and it's not authoritarian, unless you think any/all membership is authoritarian. They aren't even banning him from the church completely.
The whole point is to punish him, and anyone else, for not accepting their beliefs as facts of God. The only legal way they have of doing that is to reject him and shun him. Of course it's authoritarianism. The whole point is that the theology club maintains it's illusion of self-righteous authority. Otherwise, they wouldn't care if he agreed with them, or not.
"Emptiness of religious dogma", but you appear to be calling the law that Jesus upheld 'religious dogma'. Jesus is hard to grasp. For all you accuse them of worshiping ancient Judaism you are worshiping a few statements from Jesus that are nice and non-judgmental. Jesus can't be pigeon-holed.
It's true, he was an ancient Jew, and as such supported their beliefs and rituals. Yet it's also true that they murdered him for daring to speak of a higher, spiritual way of living, that supersedes their dogmatic traditional religious rule. It's also true that Jews, then and now, do not proselytize, nor seek conversions. And yet Jesus did preach to anyone who would listen, and did admonish his followers to do the same (supposedly).

So he is somewhat of a dichotomy, and that's all the more reason for us not to presume he was preaching adherence to ancient Judaism.
I find it interesting that in one sentence you say most sins are unconscious and then later say (and in other places) that sin is in the motive. Are people unconscious of their motives? :idunno:
Yes, much of the time, we are. Often, deliberately so.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'm saying it because none of us were there, so we don't know what actually happened, or what was actually said.

isn't that true of all scripture?

isn't that true of 99.9% of the stuff you fill your head with?

Jesus did explain sin to us.

did He?

none of us were there, so we don't know what actually happened, or what was actually said

It's true, he was an ancient Jew

was He?

none of us were there, so we don't know what actually happened, or what was actually said

, and as such supported their beliefs and rituals

did He?

. Yet it's also true that they murdered him

did they?

for daring to speak of a higher, spiritual way of living, that supersedes their dogmatic traditional religious rule.

is that what He did?

And yet Jesus did preach to anyone who would listen, and did admonish his followers to do the same (supposedly).

did He?

lifeisgood

I don't do or not do any of those things because of Judaism. So no, I'm not a Jew.

I only said asked because you said:
But unless we are Jews, there is no reason for us to be ascribing to those ancient religious dictums, today. Even modern Jews no longer follow many of them.

However, Judaism is what tells us not to do these things.

And, yes, I know about people saying that other laws were already in place, etc.

For example, Hammurabian code vs Law of God.
The Law of Moses is more than a legal code; it speaks of sin and responsibility to God.
The Hammurabian Code and other ancient laws do not do this.

The Hammurabian Code - you MUST follow. - contains harsh punishments.
The Ten Commandments - you SHOULD follow. - no punishments.

If you are interested:
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/7150-hammurabi

PureX

Where did you get your commandments not to do those things then?
I don't need any "commandments" to figure out how to live. By my experience, I have learned that helping others, helps me, too. By respecting others, I gain their respect. In appreciating others, I am in turn appreciated. And so on. And I find that life is better when lived in this way.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't need any "commandments" to figure out how to live. By my experience, I have learned that helping others, helps me, too. By respecting others, I gain their respect. In appreciating others, I am in turn appreciated. And so on. And I find that life is better when lived in this way.

What do you need Christ for?

PureX

So you saying you really dont need Christ, you just need the ideal that He represents for you?
Christ isn't a "he". Christ is an ideal, which Jesus of Nazareth embodies (according to the Bible story).

This ideal: that God's love acting in us and through us to others, will heal us and save us from ourselves, is a reality, whether we recognize it as such, or not. And we all 'need it', whether we recognize this, or not, too.

You're trying to pick an argument where there isn't one, because I don't need your religion to recognize or embody the Christ ideal.

Get over it.