Arkansas Church Kicks Out Young Gay Man For ‘Choosing A Sinful Lifestyle’

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
"We will continue to pray for you and your family."

A young gay man is going public about his Arkansas church's decision to kick him out for "choosing a sinful lifestyle."

Dylan Settles posted a letter he reportedly received from Woods Chapel General Baptist Church on Oct. 11 informing him that they had voted to "remove [his] name immediately from the church membership role."

Their reasoning? The fact that Settles had "made it known publicly, of [his] choice, to embrace the homosexual lifestyle." Settles then shared the letter on Facebook.

The letter reads,

It has come to the attention, of the church body, that you have made it known publicly, of your choice, to embrace the homosexual lifestyle. While we understand the struggles we all face with sin, in our lives, we must also be aware of the consequences of our choices. As a Christian we must choose to serve and obey, in accordance with God's holy word, in order to remain a member in good standing of the church body. We as the church board at Wood's Chapel General Baptist Church, have with great sorrow, voted to remove your name immediately from the church membership role. It is the desire of your church family, you would turn from the sinful lifestyle you have chosen, repent of the sins you have committed, and return to full fellowship with God and the church body.

If you would like to meet with any or all the church board, please contact your Pastor, or any of the board members, to appoint a time. We would very much like to council with you, and we will continue to pray for you and your family.

Expressed in the love of Jesus Christ,

Wood's Chapel General Baptist Church.

“I was in awe,” Settles told KARK 4-TV. “I was in so much shock, I couldn’t read the rest of it... I don’t feel comfortable sitting at pew or sitting beside my parents when all I’m going to see is people pointing their fingers at me because of the lifestyle I chose."

Neither Settles nor Woods Chapel returned requests for comment at the time this story was published. In any case, it seems this church needs to be reminded of the little Bible passage they chose to include on the corner of all of their letters: "We love because He first loved us."

Because exile is sure a funny way to show that.

Their reasoning? The fact that Settles had "made it known publicly, of [his] choice, to embrace the homosexual lifestyle." Settles then shared the letter on Facebook.

Seems huffington post and this young man who was a 6 year member of this church calling himself a brother - needs to be reminded of this bible verse:

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

They obviously also do not understand that being a member of the local church and being able to attend it, aren't the same thing.

This church did the right thing imo, and followed scripture after being informed that he wanted to openly embrace being gay.

Thoughts?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

Seems huffington post and this young man who was a 6 year member of this church calling himself a brother - needs to be reminded of this bible verse:

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

They obviously also do not understand that being a member of the local church and being able to attend it, aren't the same thing.

This church did the right thing imo, and followed scripture after being informed that he wanted to openly embrace being gay.

Thoughts?
Kicking anyone out of a church--even someone judged as sinful--is a bit of a sin in itself.

Once again, Christians are totally ignoring the example and teachings of Jesus: to celebrate our diversity and have joyous feasts and get-togethers with the shunned and the sinful.

And I am not even going into the scholarship that sees all of our supposed "anti-homosexual" passages in their historical context.
I have done it too often and like many passages from the Bible, today's Christians fail to even have them register with them at all.

Meshak, who began a thread about Jesus's anti-poverty statements caused a major deluge of condemnation, personal attacks and disdain.

Jesus disturbs most of us. He was meant to.

glorydaz

Are they also planning to kick out all those who are tempted by, say, adultery, drunkenness, fornication, lust, stealing, lying, envy, or hatred? :think:

Tempted? Well, if they come to church with their arm around their neighbor's wife, drunk, ogling the woman beside them, stealing her purse from her lap, or lying about having done so while glaring at someone's fancy hat with a stink eye then it would be wise to tell them not to come back until they change their ways.

oatmeal

Thoughts?

The church did what was appropriate.

If the young man was seeking help to overcome his error, that would be one thing.

However, it seems he was not seeking help but was flaunting his chosen lifestyle.

If he wants to glorify his sexually perverted lifestyle, he got what he earned.

An additional thought, was the organization clear on its stand for scripture on this subject?

If it wasn't, this would be the time to be very clear on that subject.

Cruciform

Tempted? Well, if they come to church with their arm around their neighbor's wife, drunk, ogling the woman beside them, stealing her purse from her lap, or lying about having done so while glaring at someone's fancy hat with a stink eye then it would be wise to tell them not to come back until they change their ways.
What if they're not? What if they choose not to act on their particular temptation? Is temptation a sin?

Cruciform

Oh, was that one of the choices? If they aren't practicing, but are abstaining, then I don't think there would be a problem for anyone.
That was my point as well. I was trying to highlight the distinction between temptation ("orientation"?) and sin.

genuineoriginal

Are they also planning to kick out all those who are tempted by, say, adultery, drunkenness, fornication, lust, stealing, lying, envy, or hatred? :think:
Maybe you misread the OP.

It did not state that he was kicked out because he was tempted by homosexuality.

It stated he was kicked out because of the 'fact that Settles had "made it known publicly, of [his] choice, to embrace the homosexual lifestyle."'

everready

Gods word makes it abundantly clear they did the right thing.

I Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

everready