GUNS!

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The history of gun control legislation in California is interesting....

It used to be perfectly legal to carry weapons publicly. Until the Black Panthers, that is.

The prevalence of police shootings of unarmed African Americans was responsible for the rise of the Black Panthers to "police" the police.

Once that happened, the state officially banned the "open carry" laws.

Guns are okay unless minorities have them?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Uh, yeah.:chuckle:

Reagan's record on gun control while governor would really surprise the folks who want to put him on the ten dollar bill and Mount Rushmore. Frankly some of the stuff he said as president would be considered heresy these days. He also supported the '94 assault weapons ban.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Uh, yeah.:chuckle:

Reagan's record on gun control while governor would really surprise the folks who want to put him on the ten dollar bill and Mount Rushmore. Frankly some of the stuff he said as president would be considered heresy these days. He also supported the '94 assault weapons ban.
May 19, 1986

Especially House Amendment 777 to H.R. 4332.

:down:

What happened? I thought this was previously a pro-gun thread where those of us with more than half a brain could discuss "gun stuff".

My favorite handgun is the Glock 23 in .40 S&W. I have a Gen 2 and a Gen 3. But the gun I can't wait to shoot is my CZ-75B (9 mm). I love the grip. I wish I could find a compact version to go with it. I'm also looking forward to shooting my Sig GSR1911 (45 ACP). Collecting is an expensive hobby.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
What happened? I thought this was previously a pro-gun thread where those of us with more than half a brain could discuss "gun stuff".

My favorite handgun is the G
1911 for me, though I've not had the pleasure of firing a Five-seven:
Spoiler

FN5701.jpg

1911 for me, though I've not had the pleasure of firing a Five-seven:
Spoiler

FN5701.jpg

I have 4 .45 ACPs, two of which are 1911s. The Sig GSR has all the bells and whistles. I also have a no frills Colt Combat Commander. I'm afraid to shoot the 5-7 tempting me to add it to my ever-growing wish list.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I have 4 .45 ACPs, two of which are 1911s. The Sig GSR has all the bells and whistles.
Sig just got into the 1911 market recently, right? I could internet search it I suppose. (Where I may find that the GSR is not a 1911 pattern pistol at all, which would be embarrassing, if I were posting on a gunnie site, but this ain't one of those so I'll wing it.) Oh, and recently would be in comparison to the age of JMB's design. Smith is also recent, but not as recent. Also Ruger, right? There are some really good options for reasonably priced 1911's right now. Good time to be an American. :thumb:
I also have a no frills Colt Combat Commander. I'm afraid to shoot the 5-7 tempting me to add it to my ever-growing wish list.
I hear that. :)

Sig just got into the 1911 market recently, right? I could internet search it I suppose. (Where I may find that the GSR is not a 1911 pattern pistol at all, which would be embarrassing, if I were posting on a gunnie site, but this ain't one of those so I'll wing it.) Oh, and recently would be in comparison to the age of JMB's design. Smith is also recent, but not as recent. Also Ruger, right? There are some really good options for reasonably priced 1911's right now. Good time to be an American. :thumb:
I hear that. :)

I don't know exactly when Sig got into the 1911 market. It must be about 10 years ago or so. GSR was one of their first models, nicknamed Granite. They later dropped the GSR reference. My Sig 1911 is a work of art. I bought mine about 4 years ago. My first 1911 was a Springfield Armory no frills 1911A1. In a moment of weakness, I used it for a trade-in on a Sig P220 (.45 ACP). Beautiful gun, shoots great, 100% reliable, but it's not a 1911. I won't get rid of the P220, but my need for a 1911 is now satisfied.

I have been thinking of picking up a GI replica. The one I was looking at is from Auto-Ordnance. Springfield has one similar now but is has the nicer finish. And thereby negating some of the GI replica standard I wish for.
I deviate from the WWII GI standard because of the sights. My first 1911 was a GI type, no frills Springfield Armory 1911A1. Great gun and accurate, but the sights were a constant source of frustration. My Sig 1911 (and it looks like a 1911) has Nite Sights (with 3 dots for daytime). It really feels nice in the hand. My Colt Combat Commander is all steel with newer higher profile sights with 3 dots. If money wasn't an issue, I'd have 2 of each.

I've read good things about the Auto-Ordinance, but haven't fired one. I have a friend who bought a Remington 1911 and had to send it back to Remington. They fixed it under warranty but a person shouldn't have to do that. I believe Ruger and Smith & Wesson have 1911's now. If MIM parts don't bother you, these should be a reasonably priced alternative. Also, Rock Island Arms 1911 might be worth a look. They are made in the Philippines.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_876/Rock+Island+Armory/

I don't have or want rails on my 1911s.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You can say the sights are terrible. Feel free, because they are. :) I read Auto-Ordnance had reliability/production problems, but they have been worked out.
Some guy from the internet, FWIW:

What does our longtime customer think of his new Auto Ordnance 1911?

Just wanted to let you know that I couldn't be more happy with the new AO 1911 that I picked up Thursday. Before firing it, I detail stripped it and smoothed up a lot things including the slide rails, ramp, barrel throat and all the bearing surfaces on the internal parts. I really smoothed up the underside of the slide and the breach face. These are places that are normally pretty good on a more expensive gun. (the reason for the low price of the AO in the first place) I lubed it and put it back together - took me about 4 hours and I enjoyed doing it.

Today, I just finished putting 300 rounds of various handloads through it without a single failure to feed and only one stovepipe when using light 200gr LSWC. I shot 230 grain lead RNs, 225 lead flat points, 200 LSWCs, and 185 grain Nosler HPs. Pressure levels varied from light target to full factory power levels. No plus P stuff. I don't load to that level as I don't feel a need for it. You can get a 230 grain lead bullet up to 900 fps without plus P pressure levels. All control functions were perfect: all kinds of mags worked and never failed to lock the slide back on empty.

I couldn't ask for better function. Accuracy was good enough for what I want. Some loads would shoot into 3" at 25 yards (bench rest seated) and all would stay under 5". Not bad with the tiny GI sights and my fading eyes. Regulation was very good and fixable. Gun shot 230s 2" high and 2" left at 25 yards. Lighter bullets hit lower which put them right on. I have drifted rear sight about .015 to the right and will resight soon.

Overall a very good deal for for the money. Better than I expected for a range gun to take the practice strain off my better S&W.

Thanks.

You can say the sights are terrible. Feel free, because they are. :) I read Auto-Ordnance had reliability/production problems, but they have been worked out.

I wouldn't rule out the Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec or GI. Everything I've read has been positive, and they are guaranteed for life. I would have bought one if I had not seen the Colt Commander.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is the reason the actual GI models from Colt, Remmington, etc were "loose".
A friend of mine and I had both left active service. He bought a 1911 and came to my house to show it to me. It was tight, it didn't rattle, and so I thought something was wrong with it. I'd never encountered a 1911 in the service that I couldn't rack with one hand. Also, his had rifling in the barrel, which I'd never seen before in any of the issued 1911's. He got a big laugh every time I discovered these things that were "wrong" with his pistol.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised how accurate we could shoot those old things. Really, they must have been WW2 vintage.

Despite that, I would rather have one of those old 1911's than the new Beretta's. I'm not saying the M9 is a bad pistol but gad zooks those 1911's kept shooting in seemly any condition. And they hit hard. And I never had any trouble qualifying with them so they shot straight enough despite the EXTREME wear. The M9 is nice, but the 1911 is Army.