GUNS!

whitestone

:up: though I have, so far, never had the need.

on some of the older .040H.P's the slide type safety is made from poly so as long as none ever squeezed(real hard on the trigger with the safety on) it remains stable but if it is squeezed hard over a period of times it will deform the safety and will fire with it on or off(only real problem I see). I experienced this once (an acquaintance of mine's),but they sent it to them and they refurbished the entire pistol with a new safety and returned it to him(only cost to him) was thru the gunsmith shop/ffl use to mail it.

THall

The liberal liars attempt to
spin the militia clause of the
second Amendment. The facts
of history destroy their delusions.

Historically when militia's were called
up, they did not issue you a rifle.
You were expected to bring your
own, and know how to use it. DUH.

whitestone

If they do then they don't know what they are talking about. It's a fine, and reliable weapon. If you are comfortable with it and shoot it well, that's all that counts. :plain:

If they do then they don't know what they are talking about. It's a fine, and reliable weapon. If you are comfortable with it and shoot it well, that's all that counts. :plain:

yes, I tried several types but the one thing I realized along the way is that an auto is fine if the one who uses it has the advantage(meaning a robber,someone with prior intent),that is they obviously would have one already in the chamber,safety off ect. when they made you aware they had it(i.e.pulled it on you)

The disadvantage of an automatic is then to the victim,that is the amount of time it would take to get their firearm,put one in(if not already),and take it off safety,,,is enough time for an aggressor to empty their clip(out of most autos),,,

So the choice of a revolver (as a defensive weapon) is the only way to go because it eliminates the different steps(if it's in your hand it's ready to fire). So which one is best(opinions change),there are some very good double action revolvers on the market. I settled into the "police specials" because of the fact that millions of them were made so the parts are everywhere.

There also is many other reasons the best one is that of all the better made revolvers (colt,s&w ect.) if there is a gunsmith that has been in business for a while they are for the most part able to do a very good job of timing on a police special because police,security guards,ect. all used them so they have probably worked on one of them so many times they could do some of their best work on it(compared to the others).

These type revolvers not only have the advantage of the things mentioned The chief one to me is that in a situation where the person is "rattled,afraid,",tunnel vision "will set in",I've heard stories where some say it don't(me,lol),,I've been robbed 6 times(I ran convenience stores,south Houston) and though I got a little better at it,well my advice is not to slip in the wet spot under them and they will be OK,I say this because even after being robbed I was caught so far off guard once that my .38 was within 12 inches of me and didn't have the time to get it(hence I learned,"if it's not on your person,you don't have possession of it".

This pistol I would also suggest for any woman or man for the same apparent reasons(becoming rattled),men will look at that one way,and women another but if ever choosing a night table gun for the bed side this is the choice(point and squeeze theory),making it the best in my opinion for self defense in a split second.

I do not "dislike" autos I also like them,but they have their place. A person today in police work,military ect. who needs the quick loading ability and is trained to go though the motions with one. The fact that they are in an offensive position(like the robber) is what makes it work for them (and ensures more fire power,reloads ect.) so it is why they changed from the police specials to the autos,so they shouldn't be overlooked either.

Firearms are "purpose specific" and so the issue with them (to me) is to choose the correct one for a given situation,so what I like may not work for everyone,If they feel that they could hear a burglar before they get from the living room window to their bedside and get their auto and go through the motions great,I cannot rely on the maybe/maybe not so I am settled into the several .38's I have(oop's the answer to the reload problem we were going to be ask,lol).

whitestone

Glock has no external safety. Pull and shoot. And it will never accidentally discharge.

yep designs have come a long way across the years a lot of officer ect. used Glocks and for that reason I bet(the ambush of the criminal),and the speed of the response.

whitestone

It also doesn't mean anything to carry it without ammunition.

I agree,that day I changed shifts with another, we were co-owners so we didn't count down the register ect. we just said there's change in the box(quarters,dimes ect.) and the guns there and he pointed to it. I should have picked it up,but got to looking at the things to do and waiting on customers. The pistol was directly under the register on the top shelf(it's a wonder they didn't see it),,it was a hard lesson to learn(so close and so far away!),

It's actually embarrassing to admit to making that mistake(and I'm glad I lived through it),there were two of them and all they had was an old hickory kitchen knife the first one stopped to look at the doughnuts on the rack at the front of the counter(so I would pay him attention),the other went around the counter to the fountain drinks and rounded the counter at me. The counter was horseshoe shaped so I had a way out(other side) but he stuck me 1/4 inch,left side of my ribcage(I out ran him backwards,lol).

lol,not the sort of he man story most of us would tell,but I learned from it. I didn't want to tell the facts the first few years,but as we grew and began hiring workers I realized that I was lucky to have learned these things and lived to tell so if then I didn't others would make the same mistakes and live to tell,but your right it's gotta be loaded,and you have to be in possession of it. The amazing part is that no robbery is the same,it changes every time.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My comment was about a massacre in Afghanistan involving the Air Force. They were executed and had no means to defend themselves. The M9 is meaningless without ammunition.

I should have explained my political commentary.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Forget the Bill of Rights, recall the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

If you have a right to life, then you have a right to defend your life/self.
The Bill of Rights is central to my liberty as a U.S. citizen. I would be remiss and impoverished if I were to forget the Bill of Rights.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The NRA is not concerned with raising a militia. Which is a citizen army not run by the government. The second amendment guarantees your right to form your own army, and to arm yourselves. You do not have to have your own army to arm yourself.
Then the NRA is no longer concerned with our Bill of Rights, which is not only a shame but something that is worrisome to me.

I stopped enrolling in the NRA's gun safety programs after visiting the national headquarters and their deliberate alternation of our Constitution. I learned much about safety from other gun owners early on--long before I hunted pheasant or killed crows.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The Bill of Rights is central to my liberty as a U.S. citizen. I would be remiss and impoverished if I were to forget the Bill of Rights.
It was rhetorical, I'm a big fan of both. Just remind people that the right to life (and liberty, but that doesn't get as much traction with the wrong crowd) implies necessarily among other things the right to self defense; ergo the Second Amendment. :)

whitestone

My comment was about a massacre in Afghanistan involving the Air Force. They were executed and had no means to defend themselves. The M9 is meaningless without ammunition.

I should have explained my political commentary.

me too,I years ago helped with Restoration of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cavalla_(SS-244) ,,I talked my wife into getting one(some are in the 500.000.00 range),,but the problem is finding one that has had the outer skin cut off and re fitted and the skin put back on(most are rusted beyond repair),but this one is not. If you've never touched anything like this,well if you do you will find all the manuals http://www.maritime.org/doc/fleetsub/ and then,well i thought they were going to scrap it after Ike,but they didn't(or I was ready to get it),,,"guns are addictive,lol",,

Porissocri

I think I won't be participating in this thread, since I prefer these kind of guns:

muscles-1006287233.jpg

LOL

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Which reminds me;

Gun control candidates crushed in the election.

As the election returns came in on November 4 one thing was evident—the Second Amendment crushed gun control candidates in Senate and gubernatorial races around the country.

In so doing, the Second Amendment annihilated the left's relentless claim that 90 percent of Americans support more gun control.

In Texas, NRA-endorsed gubernatorial candidate Greg Abbott (R) won. In Maryland, NRA-endorsed gubernatorial candidate Larry Hogan (R) won. In Alabama, NRA-endorsed Governor Robert J. Bentley (R) won. In Wisconsin, NRA-endorsed Governor Scott Walker (R) won. In Michigan, NRA-endorsed Governor Rick Snyder (R) won. In Nevada, NRA-endorsed Governor Brian Sandoval (R) won. In Ohio, NRA-endorsed Governor John R. Kasich (R) won. In Oklahoma, NRA-endorsed Governor Mary Fallin (R) won. In Wyoming, NRA-endorsed Governor Matt Mead (R) won. In Idaho, NRA-endorsed Governor Bruce Otter (R) won. In Kansas, NRA-endorsed Governor Sam Brownback (R) won. And in Maine, NRA-endorsed Governor Paul R. LePage (R) won against gun control candidate Michael Michaud (D). (On August 8, Breitbart News reported that Michaud was supported by Gabby Giffords.)

In Senate races, gun control Senator Mark Udall (D-CO) was defeated by NRA-endorsed Cory Gardner (R) and gun control Senator Kay Hagan (D-NC) was defeated by NRA-endorsed Thom Tillis (R). In Kansas, NRA-endorsed Senator Pat Roberts (R) won. In Georgia, NRA-endorsed Senatorial candidate David Perdue (R) won. In Arkansas, NRA-endorsed Tom Cotton (R) won. And in West Virginia, NRA-endorsed Shelley Moore Capito (R) won, marking the first time that state has sent a Republican Senator to Washington DC in over five decades.

The spotlight was also on the race between NRA-endorsed Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and pro-gun control challenger Alison Grimes (D). McConnell won handily.​

This was not a plug for the NRA, but I am glad they got it done.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

One of my favorite firearms ever. I've owned the model 629 Mountain Gun in .44 Mag. and a Model 29 with a 4" Magna-ported barrel and a smooth-as-glass trigger job.

Unfortunately, I was young(er) and (more)foolish back then and sold them when I needed extra cash.....Had I known then what I know now....Well. :plain: