GUNS!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I found some ammo inside a shed that is still in the boxes.
22 longs and 4-10 shells.

I don't know how old they are.

What are some signs I should look for to tell if the ammo is no longer safe to use?

Dialogos

For those of you who are far more knowledgeable that I.

The Mrs and I are going to be purchasing a handgun before it becomes illegal to do so.

She's shoots lefty and I'm a righty.

What's the best gun to buy that both of us can use. I know the safety on most pistols will be hard for her to navigate as a lefty.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Depends on the purpose. You can buy a pistol without an external safety. They do not fire unless you squeeze the trigger, so they are not unsafe.

I found some ammo inside a shed that is still in the boxes.
22 longs and 4-10 shells.

I don't know how old they are.

What are some signs I should look for to tell if the ammo is no longer safe to use?

I shot some of my father's .22 LR bullets and they were probably in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Everything was okay and they looked normal. I defer to someone else regarding the 4-10 shells.

The Mrs and I are going to be purchasing a handgun before it becomes illegal to do so.

What's the best gun to buy that both of us can use. I know the safety on most pistols will be hard for her to navigate as a lefty.

You can get guns with safeties on both sides of the gun. You can also get magazine releases on both sides of pistols now too. If you're set on a pistol versus a revolver, I wouldn't skimp because your life may someday depend on it. Ejection is another matter. Typical pistols eject to the right. For a left-hander, this ejection could be in their face. I'm right-handed, but I'm actually a better shot left-handed, at least in league.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I shot some of my father's .22 LR bullets and they were probably in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Everything was okay and they looked normal. I defer to someone else regarding the 4-10 shells.
Thanks.

I think the 4-10 shells will be OK also.
They are not faded, cracked, or have any rust on the ends.
I don't see any reason why they would be unsafe to use. But thought I should ask in case there was something I didn't know to look for.

Dialogos

Ejection is another matter. Typical pistols eject to the right. For a left-hander, this ejection could be in their face. I'm right-handed, but I'm actually a better shot left-handed, at least in league.
:think:

I didn't think about the ejection, you are right, it will be right in her face.

I wonder if it might be better to go with a revolver...

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

l shoot lefty as well as I shoot righty and have never been bothered by where the cases go. My best advice is to find a gun that feels good in your hands. Go to a gun store that rents weapons and try out lots of them. I still love my Hi Point 45 because it goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger and I can afford to shoot it. Others have more expensive tastes.

:think:

I didn't think about the ejection, you are right, it will be right in her face.

I wonder if it might be better to go with a revolver...

I am a Glock person, among other brands. A few things I like to add here:
  1. You can add a 4th safety to Glocks just by replacing a few parts. A Glock armorer will charge about $75 including parts, or you can do it yourself for about half the price. Look up SliderLock on Google to see what it looks like. I've done this to all my Glocks except one which I'm keeping pristine.
  2. Glocks eject everywhere. There's no predicting where a empty (hot) shell will land. I've had them land on my hat, hit me in the face, etc.
  3. If I had the money, I would invest in nite sites for all my guns. I currently have one Glock with nite sites, and two Sigs, a P229 and a GSR1911.

Last edited:

The Berean

Whoa?!!! If the Zombie Apocalypse ever goes down I want this little lady on my team! I wonder if this is vegascowboy's daughter? :Grizzly: :CRASH: :AoO:

I am a Glock person, among other brands. A few things I like to add here:
  1. You can add a 4th safety to Glocks just by replacing a few parts. A Glock armorer will charge about $75 including parts, or you can do it yourself for about half the price. Look up SliderLock on Google to see what it looks like. I've done this to all my Glocks except one which I'm keeping pristine.
  2. Glocks eject everywhere. There's no predicting where a empty (hot) shell will land. I've had them land on my hat, hit me in the face, etc.
  3. If I had the money, I would invest in nite sites for all my guns. I currently have one Glock with nite sites, and two Sigs, a P229 and a GSR1911.

Slider Lock - The 4th Glock Safety

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Silly youtube comment;

Joe Rivas said:
I actually own a m14 its really acurrate, almost like an AR it just shoots faster

I would like to see an AR that outshoots the M14. Only thing I can think of is one worked over by a gunsmith, with hundreds of man hours, or an SR-25.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Silly youtube comment;

I would like to see an AR that outshoots the M14. Only think I can think of is one worked over by a gunsmith, with hundreds of man hours, or an SR-25.
When I was in the army we had the rifle matches and they used AR style rifles. The teams from various bases shot those out to 600 yards. But, yes, they were heavily worked on. And I think they had special ammo, too.